ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Congrats to Ocean City NJ!

newell138

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
Ocean City NJ via South Brunswick and Denville
Can someone explain how this strip of sand bar ~3miles long out ranks the other 120 miles of sandbar beaches on the Jersey shore.
I know cut off the bottom as the Delaware river feeds it and the north by the Hudson river so that leaves ~100 miles of the same water/beaches! (And yes remove the 10 miles of Atlantic city as it just reeks beyond the shore line)

Can anyone speak to Ocean City vs a place like LBI? I know LBI doesn't have a boardwalk so it's different in that way.. but other than that?

We're looking at buying a shore home and I like the prices in Ocean City and North Wildwood much better than LBI. We have young kids so I would think there is more for kids to do now and in the teenage years if there is a boardwalk.

OC is the best! America's Greatest Family Resort.

Just the right size.
A real boardwalk with many rides and attractions, but no carny style ripoff games.
Bike riding on the boardwalk in the early AM.
No alcohol sold in town, but plenty just across the bridges.

Good white sand. Nice tidal flat, good for walking & jogging, games, etc.
The Island is a crescent shape allowing a full view of the whole thing from any point on the beach.

Can anyone speak to Ocean City vs a place like LBI? I know LBI doesn't have a boardwalk so it's different in that way.. but other than that?

We're looking at buying a shore home and I like the prices in Ocean City and North Wildwood much better than LBI. We have young kids so I would think there is more for kids to do now and in the teenage years if there is a boardwalk.
LBI was nice while growing up - 80/90s. But it's not that great now. During the summer, it's unbearably crowded (much more than crowd levels at other beach towns/islands) and the quality of the clientele has declined.

Ocean City is not as nice as Stone Harbor, Avalon nor Cape May.

But I give Ocean City the nod over Margate for super hot Milfs and Gilfs, lol.
Can't believe I agree with this crazy person, but he hits the nail on the head. Stone Harbor is the best NJ has to offer and Avalon and CM are amazing as well.

I am glad so many of you enjoy 609.

Have a blast.

And I have wonderful memories of Ocean City and Cape May.

Sorry folks, but after you go to any beach in the Florida panhandle, along the Gulf, you'll never want to go to an Atlantic Ocean beach again.

We moved here full time about 7 years ago from South Brunswick. Best decision of my life. My daughters were 11 and 15 at the time and no issues going into a new school, they both fit in from day one. Its a fantastic place to raise your kids, I sometimes feel like i have gone back in time to the 1950's. My wife and I are constantly walking, bike riding and running as are most of my neighbors. Everyone is very friendly and actually says hi when you pass them on the sidewalk. The crowds in the summer are mostly families, so no rowdy drunks wandering the streets. Although we do have drunks wandering the streets for Night in Venice. As someone who grew up going to LBI every summer and loving it, buying a house there was not an option, too expensive. Someone suggested Stone Harbor and Avalon are so much nicer and while I can't argue their beaches are very nice, you need a million to buy a house in those towns and they are deserted in the winter. OC has about 15,000 year round residents. The grade schools are very good and the HS is not only good academically, I believe about 98% go to college, but they also are very competitive in most sports on a south jersey and state level.

If you need a realtor, my daughter would love to show you some homes, be it for a summer rental, investment property or year round home. See her page below

https://www.facebook.com/Kaylanollrealestate/

We moved here full time about 7 years ago from South Brunswick. Best decision of my life. My daughters were 11 and 15 at the time and no issues going into a new school, they both fit in from day one. Its a fantastic place to raise your kids, I sometimes feel like i have gone back in time to the 1950's. My wife and I are constantly walking, bike riding and running as are most of my neighbors. Everyone is very friendly and actually says hi when you pass them on the sidewalk. The crowds in the summer are mostly families, so no rowdy drunks wandering the streets. Although we do have drunks wandering the streets for Night in Venice. As someone who grew up going to LBI every summer and loving it, buying a house there was not an option, too expensive. Someone suggested Stone Harbor and Avalon are so much nicer and while I can't argue their beaches are very nice, you need a million to buy a house in those towns and they are deserted in the winter. OC has about 15,000 year round residents. The grade schools are very good and the HS is not only good academically, I believe about 98% go to college, but they also are very competitive in most sports on a south jersey and state level.

If you need a realtor, my daughter would love to show you some homes, be it for a summer rental, investment property or year round home. See her page below

https://www.facebook.com/Kaylanollrealestate/
You'll always be a Shoobie to me

Sorry folks, but after you go to any beach in the Florida panhandle, along the Gulf, you'll never want to go to an Atlantic Ocean beach again.
The beaches on Marco were very nice. Naples, not so much.

It depends what you're in to. If you like waves and nice bars, can't beat Jersey beaches. If you like older people and a Piggly Wiggly 15 miles away, the Florida Gulf Coast is your ticket.

LBI's beaches cannot compare to Ocean city's in terms of the depth of the beach, or the quality of the sand. The sand at Ocean City is, for reasons beyond me, much nicer. Perhaps due to the depth or perhaps the town invests more in keeping it that way.

If I were choosing where to buy a home at NJ shore, I'd probably have Ocean city higher on the list than LBI. But it's kind of a personal preference thing.

LBI's beaches cannot compare to Ocean city's in terms of the depth of the beach, or the quality of the sand. The sand at Ocean City is, for reasons beyond me, much nicer. Perhaps due to the depth or perhaps the town invests more in keeping it that way.

If I were choosing where to buy a home at NJ shore, I'd probably have Ocean city higher on the list than LBI. But it's kind of a personal preference thing.

The sand in OC used to be much nicer, but many beaches were badly eroded. especially near the boardwalk area. The joke was that the sand would wash down to Wildwood, where the width of the beaches seems to be ever increasing.
Then the Army Corps of engineers got involved pumping sand onto the beaches almost every year. It keeps the beaches a nice size, but the down side is a coarser sand.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT