ADVERTISEMENT

OT: COVID Science - Pfizer/Moderna vaccines >90% effective; Regeneron antibody cocktail looks very promising in phase II/III trial and more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phil will be changing that 6-8 weeks statement by mid week. We will be lucky to get 1/2 of NJ done by end of June if we experience no other blips.

The delivery system is 3 months behind for your information . See us in June and maybe what the township told those in contact with them will happen .

Don’t know if this was posted but if very old or very frail might want to think twice about which one you get ....maybe AZ or JNJ ones might be more suitable compared to the mRNA ones.

3 months 😂 what?
3 months behind in the ability to get every eligible person vaccinated. You say 654 k doses ...280 k given out and the rest for Nursing facilities. It’s not about enough vaccine for the first dose it’s there is really nothing set up. Saying we have 128 places today... ( most out of vaccine) with another 120 sites to come ( whenever that is) Making an appointment or even if the state does contact those who registered the dynamic of who is first has been altered several times. Murphy blames the federal government , the CDC , calls those who complain about smokers getting preferential treatment “ cheap shot “ artists . There is NO PLAN . Tell me Murphy has a plan and by the time Joe Biden gets his time in the sun it will be March . This easily could have been and should have been done in November not end of January. We’ ll see soon enough. In order to vaccinate 6 million by April ( 2/3 of state ) in NJ we need to vaccinate 100 k per day for the next 60 days. You think that is happening anytime soon? That would be near end of March.

Don’t know if this was posted but if very old or very frail might want to think twice about which one you get ....maybe AZ or JNJ ones might be more suitable compared to the mRNA ones.

That’s already been said to be false.

The “depleted reserve” story is BS btw. Crazy how some of these stories just run

Than where are they? They were supposed to be released already. So Pfizer isn't being honest here. Also making an excuse for future production issues later this month. The shittt show continues.

Than where are they? They were supposed to be released already. So Pfizer isn't being honest here. Also making an excuse for future production issues later this month. The shittt show continues.
42% (13 million of 31 million) of the vaccine distributed was administered. Some hospitals have kept the second shot in reserve which is a good thing since they now find out the federal government doesn’t have any reserves. We need more production of vaccine. Distribution points are barely getting enough vaccines. My town is only giving 300 shots 1 day a week due to supply.

Reactions: Greg2020
I can't figure out how to make sense of that chart. How can 4.1% of the deaths be people with normal Vitamin D levels, 87.8% with an insufficiency, and 98.9% with a deficiency? That's a total of 190.8%.
But he’s figured it out. Just like all the other world problems. It’s just vitamin D. We’re wasting trillions. All we need to do is drink our milk.

Pretty much sums it up.

How many doeses are being produced each week and when will they be delivered?

This post doesnt account for future production, nor does it accout for the timing of getting the shots in peoples arms. Even if 3.5 million signed up, it's logistically impossible to get them in peoples arms in a short time. So counting the current stock only and comparing that to the number of people who want them is silly.

The only way to really debunk it is scientifically. I don't know if there's been genetic analysis and comparison of COVID-19 vs. other corona viruses. It's not hard to understand where the key deviations are, and while it's not quite exact, you could statistically model the probabilities that those deltas were natural mutations. It's less exact, but you could also compare those deviations to common genes or genetic inserts / splices that are frequently employed.

EDIT: #s, important clarification... your MRK contacts "think" it was naturally developed or have analyzed it and come to that conclusion? It's a very big difference (and I'm not being critical of you here by any means)

Scientific evidence would help to confirm or debunk the notion of a genetically engineered virus. Physical evidence would be another, but unfortunately China conveniently took their sweet old time along with the WHO to gain (probably) limited access for an investigation. @RU848789, if this virus was to originate from a marsupial (pangolins) and passed on to bats (which were reported to NOT even be in the Wuhan market) and then to humans, I have read it would be a 30ish year evolution cycle for the human race to be infected. You and I differ on the origin of this virus. Evidence I have seen, and by this point is so convoluted, points to Wuhan as the hotspot with the lab as the epicenter. Three questions for you. Do you think this virus originated in Wuhan? Do you think it came from pangolins or bats? Assuming the 30 year evolution theory, what's the probability this jumped from pangolins to humans?

Bob, there is perhaps no more delusional, conspiracy nut on this board than you. Telling that you‘ve responded to a statement I made to another poster about conspiracy nuts. Not surprising you're too limited to see understand how you e outed yourself. You are too easy. Can’t wait to read your next rant.

Bob ranting and irrational? On a weekend too? Say it isn't so.

How many doeses are being produced each week and when will they be delivered?

This post doesnt account for future production, nor does it accout for the timing of getting the shots in peoples arms. Even if 3.5 million signed up, it's logistically impossible to get them in peoples arms in a short time. So counting the current stock only and comparing that to the number of people who want them is silly.

Well obviously it doesn’t account for future doses, but that’s not the point. There are mega sites in NJ that are waiting to turn on once they have the supply. Every Shoprite is sold out. And one of the big problems is there is not much transparency on the future flow of doses. They don’t always know when the next batch is coming or how much, makes it very difficult to plan.

Not sure how this is a silly comparison. The matter of the fact is the state and country now has a much higher ability to administer doses but supply is holding us back. Hopefully the Biden administration can straighten things out, but feels like we’ll be held back a bit by supply issues.

Last edited:
The Pfizer Moderna vaccines aren’t just being produced for the US and being currently shipped to other countries. Does the Defense production Act enacted by Biden distribute more vaccines to the US? The US probably already gets the overwhelming numbers of vaccines.

Last edited:
Cool study about reinfection. Bottom line is that natural immunity seems to be about as good as the mRNA vaccines.

“Among 43,044 anti-SARS-CoV-2 positive persons who were followed for a median of 16.3 weeks (range: 0-34.6), 314 individuals (0.7%) had at least one PCR positive swab ≥14 days after the first-positive antibody test. Of these individuals, 129 (41.1%) had supporting epidemiological evidence for reinfection. Reinfection was next investigated using viral genome sequencing. Applying the viral-genome-sequencing confirmation rate, the risk of reinfection was estimated at 0.10% (95% CI: 0.08-0.11%). The incidence rate of reinfection was estimated at 0.66 per 10,000 person-weeks (95% CI: 0.56-0.78). Incidence rate of reinfection versus month of follow-up did not show any evidence of waning of immunity for over seven months of follow-up. Efficacy of natural infection against reinfection was estimated at >90%. Reinfections were less severe than primary infections. Only one reinfection was severe, two were moderate, and none were critical or fatal. Most reinfections (66.7%) were diagnosed incidentally through random or routine testing, or through contact tracing. Conclusions: Reinfection is rare. Natural infection appears to elicit strong protection against reinfection with an efficacy >90% for at least seven months.”

Suprised no one is talking about Manaus, Brazil.

They were hammered in their first wave bad enough to where herd immunity was estimated at 70-80% of the population by October. People were even celebrating that they were now immune as a city. Fast forward to now and they are just getting decimated by their second wave. According to their health services 50-60% of current cases are actually reinfections but that is yet to be confirmed.

Suprised no one is talking about Manaus, Brazil.

They were hammered in their first wave bad enough to where herd immunity was estimated at 70-80% of the population by October. People were even celebrating that they were now immune as a city. Fast forward to now and they are just getting decimated by their second wave. According to their health services 50-60% of current cases are actually reinfections but that is yet to be confirmed.

See the post above yours. No chance 50-60% are reinfections and no chance they hit 70-80% the first time around. Would love to see articles proving this.

See the post above yours. No chance 50-60% are reinfections and no chance they hit 70-80% the first time around. Would love to see articles proving this.

this is going to be a yearly disease like the flu. People are going to get it more than once, just like the flu.

hopefully severity continues to trend downward

Well obviously it doesn’t account for future doses, but that’s not the point. There are mega sites in NJ that are waiting to turn on once they have the supply. Every Shoprite is sold out. And one of the big problems is there is not much transparency on the future flow of doses. They don’t always know when the next batch is coming or how much, makes it very difficult to plan.

Not sure how this is a silly comparison. The matter of the fact is the state and country now has a much higher ability to administer doses but supply is holding us back. Hopefully the Biden administration can straighten things out, but feels like we’ll be held back a bit by supply issues.

The author of the tweet wrote this:

So you have roughly 3.5M+ people trying to get 144K doses. Good luck.

He is directly comparing the 3.5 million people eligible with the current stock of the vaccine. That is a silly comparison and misleading.

The real question here is not if the 3.5 million people will get the vaccine but when can the 3.5 million get the vaccine. We currently have 144,000 doses and currently I believe that NJ is expected to get another 100,000 per week.

Pretty much sums it up.

Why are we still screwing the pooch with nursing homes? Not to be insensitive, but they have residents that aren't really going anywhere, and they have qualified medical staff on-site. These people should have all been done already, because it doesn't get much easier than a captive resident group surrounded by medical people all day.

Reactions: biker7766
We don’t know that yet. Depends on how long immunity lasts and mutations. We know that this mutates slower than the flu.

we don’t know that. apologies if my post came off as fact based instead of opinion.

This is just my uniformed opinion but hearing anecdotal accounts from people I think this will end up being the case

we don’t know that. apologies if my post came off as fact based instead of opinion.

This is just my uniformed opinion but hearing anecdotal accounts from people I think this will end up being the case

I dunno bout every year, maybe every other, but yeah I’m thinking the same

3 months 😂 what?
Hey Greg 2020 have you been
Why are we still screwing the pooch with nursing homes? Not to be insensitive, but they have residents that aren't really going anywhere, and they have qualified medical staff on-site. These people should have all been done already, because it doesn't get much easier than a captive resident group surrounded by medical people all day.
Why because it is the right thing to do.

Hey Greg 2020 have you been

Why because it is the right thing to do.
No kidding. Still doesn't explain why the easiest & most easily identifiable population is still sitting on their allocation of vaccine. Or are we back to "we're holding back 2nd doses"?

No kidding. Still doesn't explain why the easiest & most easily identifiable population is still sitting on their allocation of vaccine. Or are we back to "we're holding back 2nd doses"?
I see Phil is saying the need to set up the infrastructure is going to help alleviate this issue as long as we have vaccines. Somebody BS ing again. . Phil that was supposed to be YOUR health department’s responsibility back in November . This week is going to live on in infamy.

Early on, the cases of reinfection were determined to be false positives, due to the PCR test picking up viral RNA shards (the test doesn't distinguish "active" viruses from "inactive" shards of viruses). However, more recently, in some rare cases (dozens, worldwide out of tens of millions infected), yes, people have been confirmed to be reinfected, but the vast majority of infected people should be immune for at least many months, although it's difficult to "know" how long immunity will last with a new virus - other coronaviruses (common cold) only have months of immunity and so, are seasonal. But people who had SARS still have antibodies 15+ years later (but we can't know if they're immune, since the virus isn't around anymore). My guess is high risk workers, even if previously infected, will likely get the vaccine to provide extra protection (I would, assuming the safety data prove to be very good).

https://www.cnet.com/health/can-you...e-what-we-do-and-dont-know-about-reinfection/
Worth an update on this, given some encouraging new studies out recently on reinfection rates, post-COVID infection. The most important is probably the SIREN study from the UK where they followed about 20,000 health care workers for months (and still are). In this study 44 of the 6600 participants (0.07%) who previously had COVID suffered repeat infections and of those 44 only 2 are currently "probable" infections (some could've been false positive PCR tests, which is known to occur in some previously infected patients), while 318 of the 14,000 previously uninfected participants tested positive for the virus (0.27%). The paper is linked below, as well as a nice summary analysis in Nature, which is excerpted below.

This shows reinfection rates are not zero, but pretty damn low, so the guidance will still be for these people to wear masks, since it's unlikely, but still possible they could become reinfected and transmit the virus to others (just like vaccinated people can still become infectious). It also shows what strict adherence to mask wearing/hand-washing can do, as many of these people are working with COVID patients every day. Note that when going through some extensive math, the "protection rate" from reinfection was calculated to be somewhere between 83 and 99% (depending on how many of those 44 possible reinfections are confirmed) - this compares well with the ~95% protection from the two mRNA vaccines.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2034545

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00071-6

Over the course of the past year, reports of repeat infections with SARS-CoV-2 have shaken confidence in the immune system’s ability to sustain its defences against the virus. The interim results from the study assuage some of those fears, said SIREN lead investigator Susan Hopkins, a senior medical adviser at Public Health England in London, at a press briefing. The data suggest that natural immunity might be as effective as vaccination, she added, at least over the five-month period the study has covered so far.

The data suggest that repeat infections are rare — they occurred in fewer than 1% of about 6,600 participants who had already been ill with COVID-19. But the researchers also found that people who become reinfected can carry high levels of the virus in their nose and throat, even when they do not show symptoms. Such viral loads have been associated with a high risk of transmitting the virus to others, said Hopkins.

“Reinfection is pretty unusual, so that’s good news,” says immunologist John Wherry at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. “But you’re not free to run around without a mask.”

In addition, two more studies of interest came out a few weeks ago, one from the UK, evaluating 12,500 health care workers in the Oxford Hospital health care system, where they had even lower rates of reinfection vs. the SIREN study (2 of 1265 or 0.16%, who had antibodies went on to have positive PCR virus tests) and another from the US NCI (some cancer researchers were reassigned to COVID) looking at the prevalence of people with antibodies (who were presumably infected previously) who later tested positive (by PCR viral test) and this also showed very low rates of reinfection (0.3%). This works out to ~90% protection of reinfection, similar to the 83-99% for SIREN. The two studies are linked below, as well as a nice summary of both in the US News link.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2034545

https://www.cancer.gov/news-events/...s-antibodies-protect-against-future-infection

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-...ving-covid-19-may-protect-against-reinfection

One study, published Wednesday by the New England Journal of Medicine, involved more than 12,500 health workers at Oxford University Hospitals in the United Kingdom. Among the 1,265 who had coronavirus antibodies at the outset, only two had positive results on tests to detect active infection in the following six months and neither developed symptoms.

That contrasts with the 11,364 workers who initially did not have antibodies; 223 of them tested positive for infection in the roughly six months that followed.

The National Cancer Institute study involved more than 3 million people who had antibody tests from two private labs in the United States. Only 0.3% of those who initially had antibodies later tested positive for the coronavirus, compared with 3% of those who lacked such antibodies.

“It’s very gratifying” to see that the Oxford researchers saw the same risk reduction — 10 times less likely to have a second infection if antibodies were present, Sharpless said.

Very unlikely immunity lasts less than 2-3 years - see my posts from the other day on variants and vaccines, especially given the ~3x slower mutation rate of CV vs. flu (and the more susceptible spike protein of CV for designing vaccines against). But we won't know for sure until 2-3 years, of course.

Turns out they were never holding back 2nd doses at all. Nothing left.

76% using the same serological process used to determine NYC at ~20%.

Well they get to 44% by antibody testing, then they make some pretty aggressive assumptions to get to 76%, not sure about that. Either way if you had a 50% chance to be reinfected we would have known for awhile because there would be tens of millions of people getting reinfected.

Of course they held back in nJ. Phil and Judy evidently knew and allowed this to go on. BRILLIANT ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT