ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Didn't the Cluck U Chicken used to come to football games?

DJ Spanky

The Lunatic is in my Head
Jul 25, 2001
I was just explaining the Cluck U Chicken at Rutgers to Tyler and Corey, complete with the chicken outfit and their thermonuclear wings. I seemed to recall the chicken showing up at the football games - that had to be back when they started out and before they "franchised". I notice they have a location in Piscataway but not in NB - did they use to be in NB? I have vague recollections of ending up there back in my student days.

Yes, I remember the chicken "mascot" coming to games. They were (I think still are??) in New Brunswick on Easton Ave next to Stuff Yer Face. There is a franchise in Colonia (where I live) but it's not quite the same.

I forgot what they called them but their version of a biscuit was amazing. More like a sticky bun then anything. Red Bank location didn't have them.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by RutgersUnion:
I forgot what they called them but their version of a biscuit was amazing. More like a sticky bun then anything. Red Bank location didn't have them.
Those "honey bees" or "sugar bees" were literally just pillsbury biscuits, tossed in the deep fryer they used for the fries, then coated with honey or powdered sugar. The biscuits just floated on top of the oil as they cooked, and after a minute or two you had to flip them.

Originally posted by RC1991:
Yes, I remember the chicken "mascot" coming to games. They were (I think still are??) in New Brunswick on Easton Ave next to Stuff Yer Face. There is a franchise in Colonia (where I live) but it's not quite the same.
Eatontown and Wall too.

Hit and miss at best.

I remember the Cluck-U chicken at a RU football game in 1993. That was the last time I saw him. Back in college, My roommate ordered wings from Cluck-U and we got free Clucker Bees. We played beer pong and the loser had to eat them. He lost, got drunk and threw them at the wall in our apartment. A nice grease stain was the result.

I *think* the one on Easton is still there, but it's individually owned, so maybe not on the website with the franchises.

Originally posted by NotInRHouse:
I *think* the one on Easton is still there, but it's individually owned, so maybe not on the website with the franchises.
There is no Cluck-U on Easton. The building that it used to be in is now a Bubbakoo's.

A guy in my fraternity was the chicken around 86-87.

One Thursday night RU was playing Pitt in a nationally televised game. The Knight and the Panther were sparring in the end zone. Out of the stands comes the chicken. He picks up the Panther and body slams him and runs back in the stands high fiving people.

The Panther was all wobbly and probably wondering why RU had a chicken for a mascot.

I recall hearing that the guy who started the company was a former walk-on Rutgers football player.

If so, I wonder if he hit it big with that concept.It seems like the type of place that could be a staple in every college town across America. I just went to their website and was surprised that there weren't more of them.

I see a few deli's / small restaurants around that have a 'cluck-U' small sign in the window , guess they bought the naming rights or recipe just for their wings.

Dunellen location also closed. It's now Clucky's Chicken. They didn't even bother to change the font on the sign. Blatant ripoff.

Originally posted by John Otterstedt:
I recall hearing that the guy who started the company was a former walk-on Rutgers football player.

If so, I wonder if he hit it big with that concept.It seems like the type of place that could be a staple in every college town across America. I just went to their website and was surprised that there weren't more of them.
The guy who started the company, Robert Ilvento, now runs Silver Ball Museum in Asbury Park. He apparently dropped out of Rutgers to start Cluck U--he got the idea from his brother who went to Syracuse.

Don't know if he was a walk-on player or not. Could not find him on the lost lettermen site for Rutgers. But in this 2009 video, he is proudly sporting his Rutgers pride.

Video of SIlverball Museum

Originally posted by NoLondonBroil:

Originally posted by RutgersUnion:
Those "honey bees" or "sugar bees" were literally just pillsbury biscuits, tossed in the deep fryer they used for the fries, then coated with honey or powdered sugar. The biscuits just floated on top of the oil as they cooked, and after a minute or two you had to flip them.
Clucker Bees of course!

Shore Regional, Class of 1983.

Most Likely to Succeed, if you can believe it . . .

Thought he was living on an island, somewhere, after making a mint with Cluck-U. Interesting to know he's still in the area. His family owned a restaurant in Long Branch for many years, I believe.

Originally posted by delaynomore:

One Thursday night RU was playing Pitt in a nationally televised game. The Knight and the Panther were sparring in the end zone. Out of the stands comes the chicken. He picks up the Panther and body slams him and runs back in the stands high fiving people.

The Panther was all wobbly and probably wondering why RU had a chicken for a mascot.
Descendant of the Chanticleer.

The Union location made the greatest Taylor Ham, Egg and Cheese sandwich. Fluffy, almost omelet style egg. But, they only did that for a month or two and doesn't do breakfast at all now.

Before that game the Cluck U guy was in the Blue Lot chugging beers at every Greek tailgate. He was drunk when he got to us, had two beers, and moved on to the next one.

The wings were not that good at the one near campus years ago IMO. Unless you like heavy breading on your wings soaked with grease.

I went to high school and college with bob he did walk on to the football team.

Originally posted by motorb54:

Descendant of the Chanticleer.
Screen_shot_2014-11-21_at_9.02.30_PM.0.png

Originally posted by srru86:

Originally posted by motorb54:

I remember this game but i remember the Cluck U - Pitt Panther brawl going on a bit longer. At one point, the Scarlet Knight was watching the Cluck U chicken beat up the Pitt Panther. I remember it being half hilarious and half, kind of embarrasing to have our mascot watch as a guy dressed up as a chicken did his dirty work.

the Cluck U chicken always seemed to make it onto the field at homecoming. I suspect that Schiano and Mulcahy put an end to this.

Originally posted by Knight Shift:
A 71 year old driver made the Cluck-U in Red Bank a drive thru. Thankfully, no injuries.

ec
So all those "Why did the chicken cross the road?" jokes were really not necessary.

That Pitt game was one of my best RU moments ever. The cluck u guy was actually sitting with me and some friends in the end zone ivy, or grass, and hung out for a bit. He was hammered. Then out of nowhere he just says something like "be right back" and bolts down, hops the fence and roughs up the Panther. After slamming the Panther he runs back up to us, sits down with his costume all out of sorts with the beak all crooked. I remember he was panting out of breath. He sat for like 3 minutes, then said" I should get outta here" and he just splits. Crazy.

I witnessed the Cluck U Chicken getting involved in a massive frat brawl outside the Knight Club one Halloween.

I don't know if it was the actual chicken or a pretty awesome costume. But the TKE/OX standoff was a pretty epic amount of chest-beating followed by nothing.

Originally posted by NoLondonBroil:
I witnessed the Cluck U Chicken getting involved in a massive frat brawl outside the Knight Club one Halloween.

I don't know if it was the actual chicken or a pretty awesome costume. But the TKE/OX standoff was a pretty epic amount of chest-beating followed by nothing.
I hit the very first one with my car. True story. The week they opened, right in front of the CACC.

It was a little drawn out in the end zone, between the three "mascots". I was typing on my phone, so had to give the abbreviated version.

Most of our fraternity was sitting together and were cringing when he ran on the field. The costume was filthy, he was wasted. Looking back it was the funniest thing the guy ever did and he did a few pretty funny things.

He comes to a tailgate or two during the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT