ADVERTISEMENT

Game Day Operations - SUGGESTIONS FOR RU PLANNERS to stop turning off tens of thousands of fans

this should be it's own thread..........
Rutgers planning things out in advance in a logical manner? Tear down old dining hall with no firm plan to build a new one? No way!!!

Active discussion here:

In the area near Brower some of this plan is under way. Records hall and Brower are gone or going. When we have a new President we may hear about the next plan.
I work for the department that is in charge of the master plan and it's definitely happening. The original plan was called Rutgers 2030 and with COVID that is probably more like 2040 at this point, but major aspects of the plan have already been built and will continue to be built. I can see the plan be revised so not everything in the original plan will be built, such as the boardwalk planned for the along the Raritan.

I work for the department that is in charge of the master plan and it's definitely happening. The original plan was called Rutgers 2030 and with COVID that is probably more like 2040 at this point, but major aspects of the plan have already been built and will continue to be built. I can see the plan be revised so not everything in the original plan will be built, such as the boardwalk planned for the along the Raritan.

I’d love to hear more about your perspectives and any insights you could share. Such an exciting and monumental project

Great to hear it's definitely happening. This will be a monumental upgrade to campus. We'd all like to see it built sooner lol.

Not directing this at you in anyway but it's so typical of Rutgers that because things weren't normal for 2 years (and I'd say even that figure is a stretch) that there's 10-year delay in a project.

Nooooo. We need a boardwalk along the Raritan!!

The bus going back to the RAC didn’t have air conditioning and the vents were off.
Bought two hot dogs from the stand behind 127. One dog looked like it came strait out of the package and onto the bun. The other looked like it had been sitting in the water from last season. The beer selection was good.
The fan base was enthusiastic, including the students who pretty much filled the south end zone.
The band looked good, but sounded like they were on low volume.
RU boardwalk was fun.
Twizzler Guy was wearing a shirt stating it was his last game.
The food in the stadium has always been crap. Otherwise a good time for a Thursday night in August.

I did the drive the bus would do today that some of you are proposing ITT and it literally cannot happen. Easton Ave is a one lane road going dow to Landling Lane bridge and College Ave by the river dorms is also a one lane road.

I did the drive the bus would do today that some of you are proposing ITT and it literally cannot happen. Easton Ave is a one lane road going down to Landling Lane bridge and College Ave by the river dorms is also a one lane road.
You might be able to pull that off with 18 and River Road though via the shoulders for both.

I did the drive the bus would do today that some of you are proposing ITT and it literally cannot happen. Easton Ave is a one lane road going dow to Landling Lane bridge and College Ave by the river dorms is also a one lane road.
College ave does not go by the River dorms.

George st. From Huntington St to Landing Lane, and Landing Lane to Johnson Park drive, could be closed to traffic and used for bus and pedestrian traffic only on game days.

Also, I’ve said many times that River road could be closed to traffic between Rt 18 and Sutphen Rd. Access to the scarlet and green lots would be via Hoes Lane W. To River Road to Sutphen rd. This not only eliminate need for a pedestrian bridge across River Rd., but the tarmac that is River Rd. In that area, Could be utilized as a game day parking lot. This would replace the parking that will be lost in Yellow and Blue lots as the planned new facilities are built.

There currently is fencing around Brower, at least on the College Ave side. It cuts down the middle of Brower and Stonier. I'd assume something is going on. However, I would have assumed RU would build a new dining hall before tearing down the old one.
Building new dining hall on college ave-- students eat at student center and a couple other places while this being done. Or they go to dining halls on other campuses.

Not directing this at you in anyway but it's so typical of Rutgers that because things weren't normal for 2 years (and I'd say even that figure is a stretch) that there's 10-year delay in a project.
The constraint as always, is money. Our revenues fell and costs increased due to COVID.

The constraint as always, is money. Our revenues fell and costs increased due to COVID.
Absolutely. But there's always plenty of money to pay the excessive amount of various "vice presidents" and senior level administrators that that university employs massive salaries with gold-plated benefits and guaranteed raises each year.

Reactions: rutgersal
Absolutely. But there's always plenty of money to pay the excessive amount of various "vice presidents" and senior level administrators that that university employs massive salaries with gold-plated benefits and guaranteed raises each year.
And don’t forget the severance. We love paying out severance.

Rutgers planning things out in advance in a logical manner? Tear down old dining hall with no firm plan to build a new one? No way!!!

Active discussion here:

My wife throws shit away before replacing it. Maddening. Almost broke my neck with no mat in shower once.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift

George st. From Huntington St to Landing Lane, and Landing Lane to Johnson Park drive, could be closed to traffic and used for bus and pedestrian traffic only on game days.

Also, I’ve said many times that River road could be closed to traffic between Rt 18 and Sutphen Rd. Access to the scarlet and green lots would be via Hoes Lane W. To River Road to Sutphen rd. This not only eliminate need for a pedestrian bridge across River Rd., but the tarmac that is River Rd. In that area, Could be utilized as a game day parking lot. This would replace the parking that will be lost in Yellow and Blue lots as the planned new facilities are built.
It’s difficult getting out of scarlet lot after the games. I wonder if cutting off River road where you suggest would make the traffic flow faster because everyone would make a right and the light would always be green. No need to stop traffic out of the lots for cars on River road.

More than 15
Middlesex county has money to contribute. They just bought a hotel in NB and build a baseball stadium in Edison at Middlesex College. It would be good for their hotel business if they improved traffic flow around NB.

Middlesex county has money to contribute. They just bought a hotel in NB and build a baseball stadium in Edison at Middlesex College. It would be good for their hotel business if they improved traffic flow around NB.
they want to get approval to build monstrosity outdoor sports complex next to the Community College

they want to get approval to build monstrosity outdoor sports complex next to the Community College
I think they already got approval. All turf baseball and softball fields and something like 10 soccer fields. The county is spending a lot right now so it’s time for RU to put its hand out.

Then anyone traveling from New Brunswick can only access Piscataway by going across that bridge to HP then driving on a one lane road to River Road. I feel like that would be even worse. The river is the problem. Can't block 2 means of crossing it for some buses, although I like the idea. If you could get the buses on Rt 18 maybe the shoulder to the Busch campus exit could be used and then drop off would be near that welcome center in the Yellow lot.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Then anyone traveling from New Brunswick can only access Piscataway by going across that bridge to HP then driving on a one lane road to River Road. I feel like that would be even worse. The river is the problem. Can't block 2 means of crossing it for some buses, although I like the idea. If you could get the buses on Rt 18 maybe the shoulder to the Busch campus exit could be used and then drop off would be near that welcome center in the Yellow lot.
Who said anything about Highland Park?
The Lynch Bridge (Rt 18) would remain the way people drive over from New Brunswick.

They need someone on River Road to stop cars from turning into Sutphen that don’t have Scarlet or Green passes. Seems 75% of the cars that get up to the scarlet lot don’t have passes and have long conversations with the attendants about where to go and then try to make a U turn. Significantly slows down the process for those that actually have passes.

They need someone on River Road to stop cars from turning into Sutphen that don’t have Scarlet or Green passes. Seems 75% of the cars that get up to the scarlet lot don’t have passes and have long conversations with the attendants about where to go and then try to make a U turn. Significantly slows down the process for those that actually have passes.
Similar things happen with Campus Road flow to Brown/White/Yellow/Blue/Black/(maybe purple?) lots. They would do well to have signs at exits for Brown/White, stay right. See way too many people chatting with the police (sometimes for 2-5 minutes) as to where to go.

Have to admit.. the Honors College project was a very good sign in that direction. But with every big project you have the sales brochure followed by the actual results.. which end up being a shadow of what was promised.. the Honors College notwithstanding.

Who said anything about Highland Park?
The Lynch Bridge (Rt 18) would remain the way people drive over from New Brunswick.
How is everyone getting to the stadium when you just close access to two bridges?

If the goal is to get more students into the stadium the solution is not to tell them to walk.
1. The first solution is to figure out how to get the buses to operate better.
2. Landing Lane bridge is not the best option. It’s out of the way from college Ave.
3. Long term solution is to build a new pedestrian bridge closer to College Ave that leads to Johnson Park.
4. A small bridge over River Road from Johnson park would help the River Road traffic move smoother.

5. Redo the bag policy. Yesterday was a mess because the freshman were out all day at events with their bags and went directly to the stadium. Next game they will leave their bags in the dorms when they come to the game. But the bag check needs to move faster.

This needs to be fixed if they want to improve attendance. The place was half full last night and it was a mess. What will happen if 52k actual show up. The fan experience needs to improve.
need two bridges as noted above....get the funds as part of government handout to enhance walking trails in urban locations....

fact alot of people need bags so figure it out...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT