ADVERTISEMENT

Stadium entry still sucks

I have entered via the East gate for the 35+ years I have been a season ticket holder. In the past it’s been great. Never took me more than 5 minutes to get in…and usually only 2-3. It only started to suck when they created the dedicated lines for the Provident Club and move to the mobile tickets. The main issue now is that the entrance is like hitting the Essex toll on the GSP at rush hour. You essentially have 15 lanes of traffic to go thru 2 security gates. Then once you get thru they only have 3 people scanning tickets. And sometimes just 2 for the main lines.

What Rutgers needs to do is create ropes lines so it’s more orderly getting through the weapons scanners…just like they have for the ticket scanners. The police they have prior to the weapons scanners are useless and just get in the way.

Last edited:
And to those that like the North gate, I have tried that in the past. That is always a shit show. I’d rather enter the west gates before doing North ever.

I have entered via the East gate for the 35+ years I have been a season ticket holder. In the past it’s been great. Never took me more than 5 minutes to get in…and usually only 2-3. It only started to suck when they created the dedicated lines for the Provident Club and move the mobile tickets. The main issue now is that the entrance is like hitting the Essex toll on the GSP at rush hour. You essentially have 15 lanes of traffic to go thru 2 security gates. Then once you get thru they only have 3 people scanning tickets. And sometimes just 2 for the main lines.

What Rutgers needs to do is created ropes lines so it’s more orderly getting through the weapons scanners…just like they have for the ticket scanners. The police they have prior to the weapons scanners are useless and just get in the way.
We have observed the same thing. Earlier this year, we wound up walking around to the main entrance of the Club adjacent to the lot. The problem with that entrance is there is a single, really slow elevator to the 3rd level. When I asked about the nearest stairs, one of the people said that they "don't want" people using the stairs. Not wanting to create an unnecessary issue, we complied. But if it is crowded and we are running late, we will find the stairs. I prefer stairs to elevators.

We used the East Gate this past Saturday, but we were in by 11 a.m. It was a breeze. No wait.

Also, there are "auxiliary" gate(s) between the North (facing the bubble) and the East Gates. Seems like a good option.

I have entered via the East gate for the 35+ years I have been a season ticket holder. In the past it’s been great. Never took me more than 5 minutes to get in…and usually only 2-3. It only started to suck when they created the dedicated lines for the Provident Club and move to the mobile tickets. The main issue now is that the entrance is like hitting the Essex toll on the GSP at rush hour. You essentially have 15 lanes of traffic to go thru 2 security gates. Then once you get thru they only have 3 people scanning tickets. And sometimes just 2 for the main lines.

What Rutgers needs to do is create ropes lines so it’s more orderly getting through the weapons scanners…just like they have for the ticket scanners. The police they have prior to the weapons scanners are useless and just get in the way.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

The entrance time at that gate has only gotten worse year over year.

There’s major room for improvement.

It’s starts with making the formal line start earlier, add more detectors and more people to scan tickets.

These simple changes would go a long way to improve the experience.

Reactions: Section124
We have observed the same thing. Earlier this year, we wound up walking around to the main entrance of the Club adjacent to the lot. The problem with that entrance is there is a single, really slow elevator to the 3rd level. When I asked about the nearest stairs, one of the people said that they "don't want" people using the stairs. Not wanting to create an unnecessary issue, we complied. But if it is crowded and we are running late, we will find the stairs. I prefer stairs to elevators.

We used the East Gate this past Saturday, but we were in by 11 a.m. It was a breeze. No wait.

Also, there are "auxiliary" gate(s) between the North (facing the bubble) and the East Gates. Seems like a good option.
I am usually in my seats 30 minutes before but I don’t know if it was the good weather or great tailgates, but seemed like most got to the entrance 10-15 minutes before the game this week. We had my 86 year old father in law and he walks slow now. That is why I was there later than expected so I got to feel the pain the OP felt. Of course getting to the gates late is the issue but there is a better way and it just seems Rutgers does not want to fix this despite me bringing it up to them and on the survey each week.

Reactions: S_Janowski
If something bothers you, and it's in your power to avoid it, I don't get why that is such a burden.

Of course, that means there'd be one less thing to bitch about.

I came in the East gate this week by the Hale center, also around 11:50. Later than I wanted to be, because my wife and kids were enjoying the boardwalk. I knew it'd cause a delay getting in, and it did.

But I knew that, because I've been going to games and entering through that gate for years. It was our fault getting there so close to kick, so I accepted the consequences of our own actions.

Usually I get in earlier, because I know better.

I’m glad you like to wait in a line that barely moves for an extended period of time. I don’t

I also don’t consider myself one to bitch often and do have patience (within reason).

Please answer these couple questions:

Considering the Easy gate is the entrance that the majority of folks see / head to from the Blue, Yellow, Black, Purple, Silver, Tan, Light Blue and JMA lots….

1) Is it really “bitching” if I ask them to install more than 2 detectors for the general ticket holders (I’m fairly certain the other entrances have more than 2 detectors).

2) Is it really “bitching” if I ask them to have more than 3-4 people scanning tickets for the entire entrance (I’m fairly certain the other entrances have more than 3-4 people).

Looking forward to your responses to each question.

Reactions: Section124
The sidewalk on that side does allow for more. They allocated one just for club seats. No line there if you wish to pay up. People have to walk on the road to get around.

Thanks but I shouldn’t have to “pay up” to get a better experience and one that is at least somewhat aligned with the entrance on the exact opposite side of the stadium.

I get it can’t be the exact same (due to the building structure / layout / spacing) but at least make an attempt to do better.

That’s all I’m asking.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

The entrance time at that gate has only gotten worse year over year.

There’s major room for improvement.

It’s starts with making the formal line start earlier, add more detectors and more people to scan tickets.

These simple changes would go a long way to improve the experience.
100% agree. As I mentioned above I keep bringing this up to Rutgers and the supervisor at the east gate each week. I think she is tired of hearing from me but the solution is simple as you suggest with starting the lines much further out.

I’m glad you like to wait in a line that barely moves for an extended period of time. I don’t

I also don’t consider myself one to bitch often and do have patience (within reason).

Please answer these couple questions:

Considering the Easy gate is the entrance that the majority of folks see / head to from the Blue, Yellow, Black, Purple, Silver, Tan, Light Blue and JMA lots….

1) Is it really “bitching” if I ask them to install more than 2 detectors for the general ticket holders (I’m fairly certain the other entrances have more than 2 detectors).

2) Is it really “bitching” if I ask them to have more than 3-4 people scanning tickets for the entire entrance (I’m fairly certain the other entrances have more than 3-4 people).

Looking forward to your responses to each question.
There's an architectural bottleneck at the bottom of the ramp. There's already a second entrance to the right of it onto the concourse, with two more detectors.

Maybe some ropes creating aisles together back from the gate might help with traffic, but you're not going to get many more staff in that area.

I sit in 229, so that's the most 'direct' way in, but I've gone through the West gate and around the south concourse at times, too, without much issue.

The biggest issue is volume. Too many people arriving too close to kickoff.

I've solved it easily for myself by arriving a little earlier or using a less trafficked gate.

It's free, it requires minimal effort, it reduces frustration, and allows me to see the start of the game from my seat.

Just like shore traffic on a summer Friday ... lots of people will be on the road. Leave earlier or find an alternate route, and you save yourself headache.

Reactions: jtung230
There's an architectural bottleneck at the bottom of the ramp. There's already a second entrance to the right of it onto the concourse, with two more detectors.

Maybe some ropes creating aisles together back from the gate might help with traffic, but you're not going to get many more staff in that area.

I sit in 229, so that's the most 'direct' way in, but I've gone through the West gate and around the south concourse at times, too, without much issue.

The biggest issue is volume. Too many people arriving too close to kickoff.

I've solved it easily for myself by arriving a little earlier or using a less trafficked gate.

It's free, it requires minimal effort, it reduces frustration, and allows me to see the start of the game from my seat.

Just like shore traffic on a summer Friday ... lots of people will be on the road. Leave earlier or find an alternate route, and you save yourself headache.

You failed to answer two basic questions I posed to you.

Instead you wrote 7 paragraphs and ended with talking about shore traffic.

Let that sink in.

Thanks but I shouldn’t have to “pay up” to get a better experience and one that is at least somewhat aligned with the entrance on the exact opposite side of the stadium.

I get it can’t be the exact same (due to the building structure / layout / spacing) but at least make an attempt to do better.

That’s all I’m asking.
You said it yourself. The 2 sides of the stadium are very different. Ever try the North gate? A lot more metal detectors there.

You said it yourself. The 2 sides of the stadium are very different. Ever try the North gate? A lot more metal detectors there.

It wasn’t apparent to me that the other entrances have such a better experience. I might consider a different entrance next game now that I’m reading some of the replies.

That still doesn’t absolve Rutgers from doing better.

You know, for:

- The fans who aren’t capable of walking to other entrances.
- The casual fan who isn’t familiar with the entrances or wait times.
- The first time fan who first sees the East gate as they walk to the stadium from the Boardwalk.

Last edited:
It wasn’t apparent to me that the other entrances have such a better experience. I might consider a different entrance next game now that I’m reading some of the replies.

That still doesn’t absolve Rutgers from doing better.

You know, for:

- The fans who aren’t capable of walking to other entrances.
- The casual fan who isn’t familiar with the entrances or wait times.
- The first time fan who who first sees the Easy gate as they walk in from the boardwalk.
The other gates didn’t look like it was moving faster despite having more metal detectors. You might say that having more metal detectors doesn’t help.

The other gates didn’t look like it was moving faster despite having more metal detectors. You might say that having more metal detectors doesn’t help.

How exactly would you know what was happening at all of the other gates?

Read the responses of peoples experiences - it’s clear there’s an issue at the East gate entrance and the wait time there is not close to what other folks are experiencing elsewhere.

There are also folks who are saying they avoid the East gate because of their prior experiences and how much of a disaster it is.

How exactly would you know what was happening at all of the other gates?

Read the responses of peoples experiences - it’s clear there’s an issue at the East gate entrance and the wait time there is not close to what other folks are experiencing elsewhere.

There are also folks who are saying they avoid the East gate because of their prior experiences and how much of a disaster it is.
As a long time season ticket holder, I share your pain. I have tried other gates to beat the system. My only success was the “secret” entrance that’s to the right of the East gates. But they turned that into a bag line now. The only way to avoid the wait is to get in early.

As a long time season ticket holder, I share your pain. I have tried other gates to beat the system. My only success was the “secret” entrance that’s to the right of the East gates. But they turned that into a bag line now. The only way to avoid the wait is to get in early.

Thanks - I will look to try another gate in the future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT