ADVERTISEMENT

Game Day Operations - SUGGESTIONS FOR RU PLANNERS to stop turning off tens of thousands of fans

Let me start with my perspective is from a 16+ year season ticket holder. I've parked in nearly every lot and experienced game day from many different approaches.

For the Howard game, met some friends on college ave and thought we'd take the bus over. We've done this before, but its been a few years. It shed a lot of light on things.

1. Taking the bus from College Ave to the student entrance was a 49 minute ride inside the bus. 7 minute wait to get onto the bus.
Listen, I get it, it was a Thursday and rush hour. BUT COME ON NOW! No wonder why students don't want to come to the games. Almost an hour to just get to the gate! It was an absolute buzz kill and frustrating to say the least. Rutgers and its partners in NB/Piscataway need to come up with a bus only lane to transport on game day. We need to make this experience fast and easy. Not an absolute nightmare for students experience. These are your customers for the next 50+ years!! Figure it out and make it a great experience! Not one that they avoid at all costs.

2. Bag lines are an absolute joke. OVERHAUL THE ENTIRE APPROACH TOWARDS BAGS!!!
We approached the student entrance side gate. One woman in our group had the R issued clear bag. She is stopped and pointed in the direction of a massive line that goes up a hill and you couldn't even see the end of it. Had to be 45-60+ min wait in that line to have your bag checked. Thankfully she pointed to her pregant stomach and we had a reasonable understanding person who just checked the clear bag and let us go. But think about it. If a female student left college ave at 5pm, she wouldn't have made it into the game until 7pm or later. How on gods earth is that a reasonable experience ?!? Checking bags at the stadium went from a quick thing to now a day ruining experience.

3. Positives
- food lines and service was pretty good. Food quality remains eh.
- Having beer in the stadium is still amazing. Especially a night like that.
- I love the change to utilizing the full big screen during timeouts . The quality is so much better when its using the full wide view. Really pops. Good game day update there.
- Way too much piped in music on the PA. Let's use the band a much higher percent of the time !!!! Make it a college atmosphere. We've all heard the same corny stadium songs 100's of times already.
- Thank you for not using the train horn for every single 3rd down.

#1 and #2 above must be fixed dramatically and with absolute urgency. Totally unacceptable to be losing fans like that
Limiting the train horn was a huge positive

That's right.. NJ only has money for rail projects that benefit Bergen County and Camden and Mercer politicians' landowner families, friends and developers. They do have money to handle the ways to reject every other proposal.
RT 18 from NB to Piscataway?

The bag line was crazy, and it seemed odd how many “teenage” girls were in line. Reading this thread I now know why. The line was so long it extended past where the band was playing near Scarlet Walk, and blocked the flow of traffic from the boardwalk to the stadium. I felt like I was at the RAC picking my way through the bathroom lines to get to the front concourse. 🤨

RU Athletics certainly can be inept in matters of traffic flow.

The bag line was crazy, and it seemed odd how many “teenage” girls were in line. Reading this thread I now know why. The line was so long it extended past where the band was playing near Scarlet Walk, and blocked the flow of traffic from the boardwalk to the stadium. I felt like I was at the RAC picking my way through the bathroom lines to get to the front concourse. 🤨

RU Athletics certainly can be inept in matters of traffic flow.
I wish it was just limited to traffic flow.

Reactions: RU#1fan
Let me start with my perspective is from a 16+ year season ticket holder. I've parked in nearly every lot and experienced game day from many different approaches.

For the Howard game, met some friends on college ave and thought we'd take the bus over. We've done this before, but its been a few years. It shed a lot of light on things.

1. Taking the bus from College Ave to the student entrance was a 49 minute ride inside the bus. 7 minute wait to get onto the bus.
Listen, I get it, it was a Thursday and rush hour. BUT COME ON NOW! No wonder why students don't want to come to the games. Almost an hour to just get to the gate! It was an absolute buzz kill and frustrating to say the least. Rutgers and its partners in NB/Piscataway need to come up with a bus only lane to transport on game day. We need to make this experience fast and easy. Not an absolute nightmare for students experience. These are your customers for the next 50+ years!! Figure it out and make it a great experience! Not one that they avoid at all costs.

We approached the student entrance side gate. One woman in our group had the R issued clear bag. She is stopped and pointed in the direction of a massive line that goes up a hill and you couldn't even see the end of it. Had to be 45-60+ min wait in that line to have your bag checked. Thankfully she pointed to her pregant stomach and we had a reasonable understanding person who just checked the clear bag and let us go. But think about it. If a female student left college ave at 5pm, she wouldn't have made it into the game until 7pm or later. How on gods earth is that a reasonable experience ?!? Checking bags at the stadium went from a quick thing to now a day ruining experience.

3. Positives
- I love the change to utilizing the full big screen during timeouts . The quality is so much better when its using the full wide view. Really pops. Good game day update there.
- Way too much piped in music on the PA. Let's use the band a much higher percent of the time !!!! Make it a college atmosphere. We've all heard the same corny stadium songs 100's of times already.

#1 and #2 above must be fixed dramatically and with absolute urgency. Totally unacceptable to be losing fans like that
Not-for-nothing but there were like 11,000 or so students at the game last nighT (7K frosh but also upperclassman not in the dorms yet from what I heard?) and IIRC 10K'ish or more for 4 of the 7 home games last year?

re: band/piped-in music

It's the same way across the nation these days. It's NOT about "us." It's about the team on the field and the 10-12K in the student end zone. Now with THAT being said the problem I had was with the piped-in music being IMMEDIATELY back in the fold when the band finishes with The Bells Must Ring following a score. THAT SHOULD BE "BLANK AIR" TIME FOR THE STUDENT SECTION TO BEGIN THE "R-U" CHEER. PERIOD.

Not-for-nothing but there were like 11,000 or so students at the game last nighT (7K frosh but also upperclassman not in the dorms yet from what I heard?) and IIRC 10K'ish or more for 4 of the 7 home games last year?

It's the same way across the nation these days. It's NOT about "us." It's about the team on the field and the 10-12K in the student end zone. Now with THAT being said the problem I had was with the piped-in music being IMMEDIATELY back in the fold when the band finishes with The Bells Must Ring following a score. THAT SHOULD BE "BLANK AIR" TIME FOR THE STUDENT SECTION TO BEGIN THE "R-U" CHEER. PERIOD.

The students had a really good, not rushed R-U chant going.....and then someone started the piped in music. We all commented on it where I sit.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Yeah.. we all saw this coming seeing the "new security procedures" notice. How about we remove ALL security procedures and take our chances with cops watching crowds and pulling people out of line to check as they see fit. Yeah.. they will single out people by how they look and people will complain.. but so what. how about we just not listen to those complaints instead of hassling everyone equally.

And we can make a reward for being singled out and checked.. like skipping the line entirely.
RU stadium security is stupid and outdated. Disney theme parks have detectors that allow guests to walk through with bags or even strollers. If someone is flagged then they go to a separate line for additional review.

RU needs to rent modern equipment and get with the times.

RU stadium security is stupid and outdated. Disney theme parks have detectors that allow guests to walk through with bags or even strollers. If someone is flagged then they go to a separate line for additional review.

RU needs to rent modern equipment and get with the times.
Comparing RU to Disney? I’m sure both have about the same resources.

The students had a really good, not rushed R-U chant going.....and then someone started the piped in music. We all commented on it where I sit.
Who is this “someone “ playing all this loud piped in music?? We need to get him and tell him to STOP THE MUSIC!

Reactions: RU#1fan

Student section was great. It could be soooo much better for every game.

What made it great this game is they essentially funneled the welcome week frosh from ceremony to stadium. Smart . Love it.

For all the students on college Ave. took them an hour just to get up to the gates. Then you have the leaving at halftime culture. So some students were probably there for a hour , did a meal swipe. Maybe saw 5 min of game play.

You think those are dying to come back and do that again ???

Student section was great. It could be soooo much better for every game.

What made it great this game is they essentially funneled the welcome week frosh from ceremony to stadium. Smart . Love it.

For all the students on college Ave. took them an hour just to get up to the gates. Then you have the leaving at halftime culture. So some students were probably there for a hour , did a meal swipe. Maybe saw 5 min of game play.

You think those are dying to come back and do that again ???
I get it....but 1) not that many left at halftime Thurs...2) we haven't been too good the past decade....3) at least the Washington game is at 8PM.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Stupid comment. RU needs to rent the equipment 7 times a year. D'uh.

They need to change the approach to bag checks all together.

First they significantly reduced the size of the bags.

Then..
They instituted clear bags .. okay fine for the regulars to get that and be prepared. But now the clear bags are grouped with everyone else.

Now they’ve made specific lines for bags which helped everyone else but are so grossly understaffed and unprepared for the bag check line.

They need to change the approach to bag checks all together.

First they significantly reduced the size of the bags.

Then..
They instituted clear bags .. okay fine for the regulars to get that and be prepared. But now the clear bags are grouped with everyone else.

Now they’ve made specific lines for bags which helped everyone else but are so grossly understaffed and unprepared for the bag check line.
Sooner or later, RU needs to stop going RU. I guess if our next AD isn't too busy chasing tail, he will have the time to solve the problem.

Not disagreeing with anything here, but I found the WiFi signal on Thursday to be absolutely horrible. Spotty and weak at best. I thought they had upgraded it a long time ago.

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
Not disagreeing with anything here, but I found the WiFi signal on Thursday to be absolutely horrible. Spotty and weak at best. I thought they had upgraded it a long time ago.
Forgot about this until you mentioned it, but I was having major issues as well. Figured it was because of all the students (I was in 131) - but never had that issue last year iirc

I like the loud music! It can be tweaked and adjusted, but the old days of sports jackets and golf claps are over. Rock on RU!
Uggghhh! Don't complain about all the unsold tickets. There are several reasons I went from eight to zero season tickets. One of the big ones was the volume of the piped in music. Two of my grandkids told me they did not want to go to another game because they got a headache from the music.

Uggghhh! Don't complain about all the unsold tickets. There are several reasons I went from eight to zero season tickets. One of the big ones was the volume of the piped in music. Two of my grandkids told me they did not want to go to another game because they got a headache from the music.
FWIW, it was not nearly as loud as last year. Wonder what others think.

Read through this thread.

To the people complaining about the music, stop it. If you don’t like it, don’t go. It ain’t changing.

The bag check line was absurd. I saw it, it needs to be fixed.

I parked in JMA and took the bus, for some reason, they are now unloading in back of blue, I’m assuming because of the boardwalk. 5 minute walk to the bus, 5 minutes to leave, 10-15 minute bus ride, 10 minute walk to stadium. I’ll never park there again.

Based on the experience the OP had on college ave, I may take that over JMA.

3. Positives

Just curious if the whole ride was terrible from College Ave to the student entrance by the stadium, due to general traffic or was it slow in any particular spot, so perhaps they could focus on that area in the future.

Maybe they could do something creative during a rush hour game, like make College Ave/George St one way from the Student Center to Landing Lane Bridge and let the students off there (since my guess is traffic on the bridge and River Rd to the stadium might be bad and making just that short section one way doesn't seem impossible to do). Instead of a 2 mile walk from the student center (and longer for folks coming from further away in NB) it's a 1/2 mile walk from the start of Landing Lane Bridge. Also, this way the buses get a much quicker return to the student center.

And yes, the locker system needs to be fixed, now. Those lines were nuts. However, I've also seen people complaining about the bag lines entering the stadium and was curious about that, as 15 minutes before the game, the auxiliary line for bags right by the east gate, where we go in had maybe a 5 minute wait - probably less than the east gate, lol.

Inside the stadium, I almost never use any concessions (I eat and drink plenty at our tailgate), but a few of our crew do and they were happy with what they got and short lines. I enjoy everything else about the game: liked the intros, fireworks, music (not a band fan), replays and the new (to me, just noticed it) text display on the ribbon scoreboard of what the PA announcer is saying, which is generally unintelligible to me - helps for penalty calls/reviews. Outside the stadium, what can I say other than the yellow lot still rules (especially getting in and out in under 5 minutes) and the Boardwalk is just awesome, especially for our group members with young kids.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT