ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Does anyone know anyone who has tested positive?

To answer the original question in this thread, we are now up to about 40 people in town not counting the assisted living home which is heavily infected. Below is the latest update I received at work.

"Team...please find attached today's daily AM coronavirus monitor.
In the US, total active infections are at 337,537 and fatalities are at 10,993. A leading pandemic forecasting model predicted Monday that the US may need fewer hospital beds, ventilators, and other equipment than previously projected and that some states may reach their peak of COVID-19 deaths sooner than expected. However, this prediction has drawn criticism for being overly optimistic.
In the UK, the government has admitted that none of the 17.5m antibody tests it ordered work well enough to be used. Tests from nine different companies have been assessed, but none have offered the required accuracy to be widely distributed.
Spain yesterday reported the lowest number of new coronavirus cases in more than two weeks, a sign that Europe’s biggest outbreak is slowing.
Below is the daily Financial Times graphic highlighting the number of daily coronavirus deaths (7-day rolling average), by number of days since 3 daily deaths were first recorded.

To answer the original question in this thread, we are now up to about 40 people in town not counting the assisted living home which is heavily infected. Below is the latest update I received at work.

"Team...please find attached today's daily AM coronavirus monitor.
In the US, total active infections are at 337,537 and fatalities are at 10,993. A leading pandemic forecasting model predicted Monday that the US may need fewer hospital beds, ventilators, and other equipment than previously projected and that some states may reach their peak of COVID-19 deaths sooner than expected. However, this prediction has drawn criticism for being overly optimistic.
In the UK, the government has admitted that none of the 17.5m antibody tests it ordered work well enough to be used. Tests from nine different companies have been assessed, but none have offered the required accuracy to be widely distributed.
Spain yesterday reported the lowest number of new coronavirus cases in more than two weeks, a sign that Europe’s biggest outbreak is slowing.
Below is the daily Financial Times graphic highlighting the number of daily coronavirus deaths (7-day rolling average), by number of days since 3 daily deaths were first recorded.

good news IHME reduced their projections. they still are high for what states are seeing(compare with Cuomo's daily press conference). Oregon and Washington are sending ventilators to others states because they do not need them. California is sending ventilators back to the national stockpile because they dont need them. Arizona is reducing their request from the national stockpile because they dont need them.

The really good news is a father was arrested in a park because he was playing catch with his 6 year old and wife....all by themselves.

Even better news is cuomo increased the fine to 1,000 for not following social distancing protocol and released a child rapist from jail so they dont get coronavirus... just run of the mill common sense.

all based on the models that are ... wrong

good news IHME reduced their projections. they still are high for what states are seeing(compare with Cuomo's daily press conference). Oregon and Washington are sending ventilators to others states because they do not need them. California is sending ventilators back to the national stockpile because they dont need them. Arizona is reducing their request from the national stockpile because they dont need them.

The really good news is a father was arrested in a park because he was playing catch with his 6 year old and wife....all by themselves.

Even better news is cuomo increased the fine to 1,000 for not following social distancing protocol and released a child rapist from jail so they dont get coronavirus... just run of the mill common sense.

all based on the models that are ... wrong
Two things.
1. I get the need to break up large gatherings, but ridiculous to arrest a family in that situation.
2. I doubt any of the models are accurate as the data used is suspect. We don't know the true number of infections since not everyone is being tested or only the sick are being tested skewing the data. We also don't know the exact level of deaths as deaths in December and January could well have been due to the virus but the connection was not being made then. You don't die from the virus, you die from the complications caused by the virus, ie. pneumonia, heart failure, etc.

Two things.
1. I get the need to break up large gatherings, but ridiculous to arrest a family in that situation.
2. I doubt any of the models are accurate as the data used is suspect. We don't know the true number of infections since not everyone is being tested or only the sick are being tested skewing the data. We also don't know the exact level of deaths as deaths in December and January could well have been due to the virus but the connection was not being made then. You don't die from the virus, you die from the complications caused by the virus, ie. pneumonia, heart failure, etc.

In all seriousness a lot of good news coming out the past couple days... I say this because all we get is bad news. No one repeats good news. Cuomo admitting today he has enough beds and ventilators. Two weeks ago he was saying 26k would die in a hospital. Bad information and panic are a bad combination... thank god he was wrong

One thing that I think is a little weird is Dr.Birx today said no matter what if some one dies with coronavirus it is going in the books as a coronavirus death regardless of whether or not coronavirus had any impact on their death... probably not the best way to calculate if we want accurate numbers... unfortunately accuracy hasn’t been a strong point...

ai know two additional people with the virus both 60+ with underlying conditions. Husband and wife. Husband went home, wife on a ventilator....

My uncle (63) was admitted to the hospital on sunday (Bayshore). They were able to keep his O2 levels until this morning when he was put on a ventilator.
Its devastating to hear, and even worse that they wont let anyone see him under any circumstances.

I pray that no one here has to endure this.

Reactions: S.W.A.I.N
Found out yesterday that two of my favorite HS teachers were diagnosed, and thankfully both of their conditions are improving. They have to be in their mid/late-70s by now.

We just found out tonight that my wife’s cousin passed today at age 70. Worked at a hospital in Brooklyn. Shame. Nice guy. RIP

My wife’s cousin husband- different side of family - tested positive and was on a ventilator. He is getting better.

Found out a guy who I graduated high school with passed about a week ago. He was 56.

Scary times! All above have / had underlying health issues as well unfortunately

Just found out about death of someone I know. Being retired one of my normal activities was going to local Dunkin where a small group of folks would sit around and chat over coffee. One of the guys who was a good friend of one of the group and would join us once in a while died. His wife is in the hospital now.

Found out yesterday that two of my favorite HS teachers were diagnosed, and thankfully both of their conditions are improving. They have to be in their mid/late-70s by now.

Turns out one took a bad turn and passed today. He was my track coach and freshman year English teacher.

Turns out one took a bad turn and passed today. He was my track coach and freshman year English teacher.
Sorry to hear that. This teacher and coach of 30 years was inspired to become one by a great one that was both my calculus teacher and my tennis coach. I can relate to the very significant place such people can play in our lives.

Reactions: RUChoppin
My wife’s grandmother died from the virus on Thursday at the age of 104. We talked with her on the phone on Sunday and she had a fever. Went fast.

Anyone thinking the economy and stock market are what's important, and need to be saved before people's lives should be shot. And before you tell me I still have a paycheck, I also get to see body bags and sick folks brought out of homes while families are told they need to stay away.
What about millions and millions of jobs and livelihoods. What about those that cannot afford their mortgages or rent and are risking being thrown out onto the street. What about the growing pressure on food banks that are running out of food to feed people that now need it. Should all of those people be shot because they cannot afford food? You're gonna need a whole lot of bullets.

The bottom line is this is a no win situation. It is important to limit deaths but also keep people from losing their livelihoods.

84% of stock is owned by the wealthiest 10%.
Capitalist Profiteering in the Age of the Coronavirus

The legal framework under which capitalism operates allows the wealthy and big business to engage in the same kind of petty thievery as profiteers and price-gougers, except with impunity and on a massive scale. With the coronavirus pandemic, this is made blatantly obvious every day.

https://www.leftvoice.org/capitalis...T7uUXR_0d1o6VgKrCSKnLYAm3hXS807lB5BBWgqFnznu8

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT