ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Drawing on board expertise: Toms River for a retirement residence?

RUTBAY1

Sophomore
Nov 8, 2019
So looking to retire close to but not on the beach. Familiar with OC and that area but it has gotten so expensive even inland. I fish quite a bit at IBSP and Corson’s Inlet. I noticed that Toms River has more than a few really nice recently flipped houses minutes from the island. What are the boards thoughts about property in that area. The taxes are lower than Somers Point and the area. Any of you live there or have any experience with the town?

Love Tom’s River and have lots of friends who live there. If you love IBSP, then there isn’t a better place to be . Lots of excellent retirement communities nearby. Rent a boat and cruise Barneget Bay every summer.

I live in Manahawkin. Toms River is going through so issues. Many of my kids friends have moved from Toms River down here. I would look into it.
Any specific details/reasons why?

Manahawkin also looks like it had potential.

Last edited:
So looking to retire close to but not on the beach. Familiar with OC and that area but it has gotten so expensive even inland. I fish quite a bit at IBSP and Corson’s Inlet. I noticed that Toms River has more than a few really nice recently flipped houses minutes from the island. What are the boards thoughts about property in that area. The taxes are lower than Somers Point and the area. Any of you live there or have any experience with the town?
Somers point would not be a good choice IMO for retirement. Atlantic County taxes are very high and go up 2-3% per year. Upper Township has some nice areas as do a lot of areas in Cape May County. My daughter is a realtor in this area if you are interested

stay clear of TR as the schools, tax base, and influx of Hasidic Jews is really fking things up. In addition that, the only real wealth generated in the area is from the re boom and nothing else. any place the size of TR can't function like that long.

Go Raiders!

I wouldn't go there either

If you want to retire, leave the state! :)
Yeah, well that would depend on what the kids do in the next year or so. The idea is to be within driving distance. If they move to God knows where then anything is on the table.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
The issue with the northern Ocean County towns is that the demographics are changing with the increase in the Orthodox population. That might not matter to you as a retiree on a barrier island.

Jackson, Northern Toms River and Southern Howell are seeing the greatest change, but I heard there is change in Brick also.

I am in Jackson and have no problem with the population change as a retiree. To some people it matters. I would be careful in a retirement community in those towns.

Yeah, well that would depend on what the kids do in the next year or so. The idea is to be within driving distance. If they move to God knows where then anything is on the table.
gotcha, can't argue with that:)

We bought a place in Fl in prep given the kids will be going to college but we're keeping a house up here 'just in case'. Kids seem to be the wrench in the works hahahaha

The issue with the northern Ocean County towns is that the demographics are changing with the increase in the Orthodox population. That might not matter to you as a retiree on a barrier island.

Jackson, Northern Toms River and Southern Howell are seeing the greatest change, but I heard there is change in Brick also.

I am in Jackson and have no problem with the population change as a retiree. To some people it matters. I would be careful in a retirement community in those towns.
Obviously I’m not concerned with the schools except insomuch as it affects property values. But I don’t want to move into a crap-show of a town with respect to politics. I live in Cherry Hill (6 years) now, previously in Haddonfield for 20 years before that. It’s pretty diverse and crime where I am is pretty low. Generally looking for quality of life, location, reasonable taxes, and not too much political drama. I know, I live in Jersey so that’s not an easy set of goals to achieve simultaneously. But as I said before, location would be determined in large part by nearby family.

Obviously I’m not concerned with the schools except insomuch as it affects property values. But I don’t want to move into a crap-show of a town with respect to politics. I live in Cherry Hill (6 years) now, previously in Haddonfield for 20 years before that. It’s pretty diverse and crime where I am is pretty low. Generally looking for quality of life, location, reasonable taxes, and not too much political drama. I know, I live in Jersey so that’s not an easy set of goals to achieve simultaneously. But as I said before, location would be determined in large part by nearby family.
A lot depends on what you can spend.

Since you are a South Jersey resident, I would think going below LBI would be better for you.

I have a coworker who grew up in Tom’s River and his parents recently moved out of the area for the aforementioned reasons.

I’m not that familiar with Barnegat, but this area may check your boxes (right outside LBI).

From your above goals:
Quality of life- depending on where you are in Tom’s River this can be achieved. But as others have mentioned changing demographic and opioid epidemic hit the area hard so there are many transients and the crime that goes along with it.

Location- Tom’s river is ginormous so choose wisely.

Reasonable taxes- Taxes are on the high end for Ocean County. And as has been mentioned with the size of the town comes large municipal liabilities. Lots of schools and public employees and pensions to support.

Political drama- Toms River is known for its political drama.

Many new families relocated to my area from Toms River. Many speak glowingly of their neighbors and the friendships developed but the change in demographic and school system overcrowding forced them to move.

I have a coworker who grew up in Tom’s River and his parents recently moved out of the area for the aforementioned reasons.

I’m not that familiar with Barnegat, but this area may check your boxes (right outside LBI).
when teachers are leaving to find jobs out of state for less money, when people have lived there for their entire lives and are uprooting their young families to move away, you know it's getting bad. TR today is very different than the town I grew up in. MOST troubling, the baseball sucks now at the HS level!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bill Frank would be throwing tantrums today! lol

Have they started moving into Southern Howell? We're in the Northern part and haven't seen any but I've heard rumblings about it

Have they started moving into Southern Howell? We're in the Northern part and haven't seen any but I've heard rumblings about it
I have heard they have.

Jackson has seen the greatest influx. The last 3 sales in my neighborhood have been to Orthodox families. All three families are very nice, and their kids are great.

stay clear of TR as the schools, tax base, and influx of Hasidic Jews is really fking things up. In addition that, the only real wealth generated in the area is from the re boom and nothing else. any place the size of TR can't function like that long.

Go Raiders!
Sounds like you went to East. I graduated in 86 from East, and graduated Rutgers in 92. I loved my short time in that town and could walk to high school. We used to ride our bikes over that bridge to seaside, if you can believe that. I probably would have moved back after college but there were no IT jobs close to TR at that time.

It’s a fine town if you want to be by the water.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I have heard they have.

Jackson has seen the greatest influx. The last 3 sales in my neighborhood have been to Orthodox families. All three families are very nice, and their kids are great.
Fortunately Howell is big, so the chances of them making their way up near us are slim during the time we'll be here

Still, it's concerning when for various other reasons, but not surprising

Sounds like you went to East. I graduated in 86 from East, and graduated Rutgers in 92. I loved my short time in that town and could walk to high school. We used to ride our bikes over that bridge to seaside, if you can believe that. I probably would have moved back after college but there were no IT jobs close to TR at that time.

It’s a fine town if you want to be by the water.
we did too, had to be careful carrying a board as the wind could take you into the traffic lol

Fortunately Howell is big, so the chances of them making their way up near us are slim during the time we'll be here

Still, it's concerning when for various other reasons, but not surprising
I have heard from a good source they there have been over 10,000 acres purchased in Burlington County by the Orthodox. The goal is to build a community there.

It is in the Fort Dix area.

Edit I added an extra zero

Reactions: biker7766
I have heard from a good source they there have been over 10,000 acres purchased in Burlington County by the Orthodox. The goal is to build a community there.

It is in the Fort Dix area.

Edit I added an extra zero
I was always wondering why they didn't go into Burlington
it's the largest county in the state and sparsely populated compared to Ocean / Monmouth
Addiotnally, I'd assume it's easier to get approvals for permits, etc down there than up here

Palm Coast

funny, I'm actually planning my son's college visits to Gainesville and Tallahassee this morning. Ironic

going to some baseball games!
Great area, my wife loves St. Augustine and is pushing for Ponte Vedra upon retirement

Re. FSU, If you can mix in the schedule for both baseball and softball, I'd highly recommend it

LMK if you want to hang out with The Animals of Section B. I can put you in touch with them as they always love to meet new people and hang out!

Great group of guys/gals who love the Noles and throw tailgates before/after every game and have their own dedicated section at Howser

Great area, my wife loves St. Augustine and is pushing for Ponte Vedra upon retirement

Re. FSU, If you can mix in the schedule for both baseball and softball, I'd highly recommend it

LMK if you want to hang out with The Animals of Section B. I can put you in touch with them as they always love to meet new people and hang out!

Great group of guys/gals who love the Noles and throw tailgates before/after every game and have their own dedicated section at Howser
we looked at Ponte Verde too, love the whole area but she liked Grand Haven in Palm Coast. Me, I wanted like 10 acres somewhere to build my own shooting range but it's all good. I'll put a boat in the marina and shoot from my boat...haha I kid

Great group of guys/gals who love the Noles and throw tailgates before/after every game and have their own dedicated section at Howse
r
definitely will!

pumped!!!!!

It's incidental, and not intending to be inflammatory, but have heard several times Barnegat referred to as Barneghetto. As with many towns, neighborhoods matter.

The area you are in IIRC is way too far from Lakewood to be of use. You can't really walk to houses of worship in your area. Also CNHS and Freehold address = premium. The part of Howell closer to Lakewood is cheaper.

Personally I would stick to Monmouth County but I live up north- given you're in South Jersey I would imagine the further south you go other than places like Avalon you will save money. Maybe that makes more sense? not sure if you want to get out of South jersey.

If you haven't noticed you must have your eyes closed. Im in Farmingdale and consider my days numbered.
The Edgar Felix bike path near Allaire State Park- always seems to be an older father, looks to be in 50s, wife looks like she is in her teens or early 20s, multiple kids- they wander aimlessly back and forth across the bike path, oblivious to bike riders.

Somers point would not be a good choice IMO for retirement. Atlantic County taxes are very high and go up 2-3% per year. Upper Township has some nice areas as do a lot of areas in Cape May County. My daughter is a realtor in this area if you are interested
Taxes go up so much to support dumpy AC. All NJ counties with cities suffer the same fate. A disproportionate amount of county taxes gets dumped into the AC, Trenton, Camden, Newark, Paterson, JC. Best to stick with counties without cities.

gotcha, can't argue with that:)

We bought a place in Fl in prep given the kids will be going to college but we're keeping a house up here 'just in case'. Kids seem to be the wrench in the works hahahaha
Similar POV as us. Our plan is to buy our 6 month plus 1 day house not in NJ but keep 2nd home in NJ at the southern shore. The details depend on where life takes our little one after she grows up. :)

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I'm in Southern Howell. Yes, in certain areas they have and are renting to undesirables to get people out. My area off Kent has seen one, but that's it as a lot of its mostly farms. It's a lot of wetlands down this way being on the Metedeconk watershed. So, ripping every tree out and asphalting over every blade of grass like they want is a no go. My area is ARE2. So, they need at least 2 acres to build, they don't like that.

The town just bought most of Ford Rd.. As an Orthodox wanted to put in a school with dormitories and some warehouses right on the watershed. The town and DEP said no and after a long legal battle he sold to the town.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT