ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Electric price per KWH

Extra Point

Heisman Winner
Aug 9, 2001
Looking at my electric bill I see that PSEG is charging 23.6 cents per KWH! That is on the steep side, huh? Just in time for AC season.

My is 20 cents per KWh PSEG but don’t know if difference areas get charged differently. I see the higher usage the higher the charge.

Reactions: Extra Point
Just checked my latest bill. Looks like my electric was 14.7719 cents per kWh. (first 600 kWh was 14.7717 and then 14.7723). Seems like a big difference between the OP, me and Dave.

I'm including the service charge, delivery charge and supply charge too. I'm dividing the total I owe by the kwh I used.

Just checked my latest bill. Looks like my electric was 14.7719 cents per kWh. (first 600 kWh was 14.7717 and then 14.7723). Seems like a big difference between the OP, me and Dave.
There also a delivery charge that you might not have included.

I'm including the service charge, delivery charge and supply charge too. I'm dividing the total I owe by the kwh I used.
Now 21.58 cent but higher usage are charged at higher rates. Total May bill $103 for the month for gas, electric and maintenance for water heater.

Do they charge you a peak hour rate too?
What it’s in San Antonio? What your May utilities bill gas and electric? Didn’t you have a hot spell recently?

No peak rates in NJ. Isn’t peak rates in Texas because Texas is on its own power grid and not the national power grid.?

Last edited:
What it’s in San Antonio? What your May utilities bill gas and electric? Didn’t you have a hot spell recently?

No peak rates in NJ. Isn’t peak rates in Texas because Texas is on its own power grid and not the national power grid.?
My rate is 11.50 per kWh. It’s not raised during peak hours.

I follow the utility web page that shows near-real time capacity vs demand trend and even in this warm spell demand was never within 6 MW…since the 2021 mess they’ve done a better job. I keep my thermostat at 78 and 82 at night…ceiling fans do an amazing job as do trees, tinted windows and drapes. In winter the heat pump was only on when it dropped to 16 one morning.

Natural gas has never been more than $11 a month. Last months electric was $65…I suspect this month it will be higher.

A box fan does a good job of cooling too, to help not running the AC as much. I have a cheapo fan that uses 55 watts of juice on low. So to run my fan for 5 hours a day at 23.6 cents kwh, my fan costs $1.98/month . If the cost was 43 cents/kwh, my fan would cost $3.60 a month. That sounds so high. Cali I hope you lower the cost of electricity so other states don't get any ideas.

This is an easy calculator for electric: Electric Bill Calc

Looking at my electric bill I see that PSEG is charging 23.6 cents per KWH! That is on the steep side, huh? Just in time for AC season.

In NJ you can shop around for suppliers and save $.

If you go this route just read the contracts carefully and don’t forget to cancel when the contract is up.

I entered into a 6 month contract at a discounted price vs. PSEG but forget to cancel at contract expiration and for the next 6 months and it erased all of my savings and cost me a lot more.

Here in Wenatchee, Wa.. it's 3.4 cents a Kwh.
We’re about 10.3 cents here in Snohomish county. Have solar as well so monthly is generally just the $14 base charge
All that hydro that people are advocating breeching the dams and eliminating.
Not going to happen. There were a few dams on the lower Snake River but they reached a compromise I believe to improve the salmon runs. And those were a drop in the bucket to the total hydro generation. Irrigation was a factor as well.

Reactions: RUGiddy777
My rate is 11.50 per kWh. It’s not raised during peak hours.

I follow the utility web page that shows near-real time capacity vs demand trend and even in this warm spell demand was never within 6 MW…since the 2021 mess they’ve done a better job. I keep my thermostat at 78 and 82 at night…ceiling fans do an amazing job as do trees, tinted windows and drapes. In winter the heat pump was only on when it dropped to 16 one morning.

Natural gas has never been more than $11 a month. Last months electric was $65…I suspect this month it will be higher.
$76 all-in!? Wow, that’s incredible!

I average $150/month gas + electric. 10 years ago, it was around $130/month.

Then again, I have a fairly air leaky 70s bi-level. ~2000 sq. ft.

Summer thermostat: 75
Winter: 72

$76 all-in!? Wow, that’s incredible!

I average $150/month gas + electric. 10 years ago, it was around $130/month.

Then again, I have a fairly air leaky 70s bi-level. ~2000 sq. ft.

Summer thermostat: 75
Winter: 72
I have neighbors that keep it 72 in summer…ice boxes…when you come in from 95-100 outside just too cold for me, but hey it is their money. NG is low as it is just for the stove. I cook very little compared to the average consumer. My lowest bill was a combined $42…highest was $167

A box fan does a good job of cooling too, to help not running the AC as much. I have a cheapo fan that uses 55 watts of juice on low. So to run my fan for 5 hours a day at 23.6 cents kwh, my fan costs $1.98/month . If the cost was 43 cents/kwh, my fan would cost $3.60 a month. That sounds so high. Cali I hope you lower the cost of electricity so other states don't get any ideas.

This is an easy calculator for electric: Electric Bill Calc
Maybe , but it's really the humidity that makes it uncomfortable and a fan does no good.

Actually ductless mini splits are very efficient even for heat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT