ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Winsett

Is it really that big of a deal? He did sit on Saturday, and it was a funny play on his name, not some unholy insult.

No - but I can also buy the argument that it’s unnecessary. I think AK deserves folks to respond to suggestiveness (direct and indirect) that we let this amazingly skilled (perhaps better) QB go.

Reactions: RUtix4me
I was never against GW being upgraded - my point was RU's proven inability to develop QBs, and to always blame the players. If coach doesn't like dual-threat QBs then dont recruit one. Plus GW has been acknowledged by Kentucky as a long ball thrower but RU insists on dinks and dunk to sidelines in flats. RU had horrible WR crew in 2023 - vastly better now. GW should have gone to ND, Oregon, Michigan etc but his fam loved GS.

I saw AK in RU player podcast and he's likeable fellow with some skills. I dont root for players to fail because my view isn't about the players. RU and Minn are both known for "safe" offenses that need excellent defenses to win games.
You should know better than to characterize RU offense as a dink and dunk scheme. It was that way out of necessity because of poor OL recruiting and development under Ash. You are correct in other posts that RU has an inferior WR corps too, but that also fed into why they did not stretch the field.

I was never against GW being upgraded - my point was RU's proven inability to develop QBs, and to always blame the players. If coach doesn't like dual-threat QBs then dont recruit one. Plus GW has been acknowledged by Kentucky as a long ball thrower but RU insists on dinks and dunk to sidelines in flats. RU had horrible WR crew in 2023 - vastly better now. GW should have gone to ND, Oregon, Michigan etc but his fam loved GS.

I saw AK in RU player podcast and he's likeable fellow with some skills. I dont root for players to fail because my view isn't about the players. RU and Minn are both known for "safe" offenses that need excellent defenses to win games.
You’ve posted multiple times that naming AK the starter over Gavin was a big mistake - no?

You’ve posted multiple times that naming AK the starter over Gavin was a big mistake - no?
He also has a fascination with average pass yardage. Too a look at 2014 B1G QB average pass yardage. Only 2 were just over 9.0 and they were Ohio State and Michigan. MRyland was 7.7. since he is hung up on this metric and sacking Schiano with it, took a look at Teel's stats and in his last 2 years, he was 8.8 and 8.9 yards per pass. When you have the QB and the receivers, long passing game will happen. We had none of that in the last 4 years and a terrible OL.

Game was suspended (later called) at 9 min of teh 3rd qtr, we have no idea how much time was planned to give Wimsatt.

To me.. the whole Wimsatt reference point now should focus on the arguments over him last year and how many pointed out issues with his mechanics and decision-making and those here that tried to gaslight them telling them they were crazy. We now see what a QB who does the little things correctly can do and I hope he keeps doing that even as competition increases.

No never.
The broken process/poor coaching was the issue.
Thankfully RU had an OL coach who knows what he's doing
Most people here dont really understand passing game for most part.
Its all arm + hands to them.
They dont know where seams/levels are or a cover 0 from a cover 2.
They think that a QB has to hit a WR in the hands/numbers when being "off" can be a goal.
100% accuracy can lead to more INTs.
A WR that cant make contested catches is a problem and it was last year (a big one)

He also has a fascination with average pass yardage. Too a look at 2014 B1G QB average pass yardage. Only 2 were just over 9.0 and they were Ohio State and Michigan...

Yes "only" the national title winner and the B1G runner-up.
This place struggles so much

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
Looks like we have a Karen on here when it comes to Gavin Wimsatt. Nobody did anything but him last season as he led this team to a bowl game like he was Superman. The defenders of Gavin are certainly a weird bunch. Keep singing his praises.
Same as the Schiano defenders. Schiano owns the Wimsatt failure and the inability to develop a passing game in general.

Shelby recognizes Schiano developed a very stout defense but that’s just half the game. Thus, Schiano is wholly average and nothing more.

Remember, the team was 3-6 in conference. This isn’t anything special.

Reactions: ashokan
May have something to do with a talent level Rutgers did not possess for years.
Had it in Teel era.
Teel was a long ball thrower with an OL that could handle it
Britt was not a hands catching WR (trapped balls mostly) but he could go down the sideline and run under balls real well.

EyHJCUU.jpeg

Had it in Teel era.
Britt was not a hands catching WR (trapped balls mostly) but he could go down the sideline and run under balls real well.

EyHJCUU.jpeg
And look at the ypc #s. Close to 9. 🤷‍♀️ Seems like my point is valid. What's your point?

Reactions: RU-05
I really don’t get it- both sides.
Gavin was the best QB on our roster last year. I don’t think we win 7 if any of the other guys started.
Also- it looks like AK is better, so, time to move on and not get so negative on the kids that for better or worse, played his heart out for us while he was here.,,

Had it in Teel era.

EyHJCUU.jpeg
Britt was not a hands catching WR???

When the ball was in the air- Britt looked at it like he owned that ball and would be going up to get it. Some of the best hand catching we have seen.

Had it in Teel era.

EyHJCUU.jpeg
Britt had issues with over-the-shoulder stuff... but if you sent him on a post or some sideline pattern where he had a better angle to see the ball coming in.. that ball was his! I don't know why the coaches did not see that and adjust accordingly. Maybe it was to line him up tight for run-blocking reasons but also send him out for passes from same spot.. so his alignment did not tip run/pass.

Britt had issues with over-the-shoulder stuff... but if you sent him on a post or some sideline pattern where he had a better angle to see the ball coming in.. that ball was his! I don't know why the coaches did not see that and adjust accordingly. Maybe it was to line him up tight for run-blocking reasons but also send him out for passes from same spot.. so his alignment did not tip run/pass.
He had a respectable pro career, on the field at least. He’s the wrong guy to suggest shortcomings in his play. No receiver in the 2.0 era has anything close to his talent, including Melton.

I really don’t get it- both sides.
Gavin was the best QB on our roster last year. I don’t think we win 7 if any of the other guys started.
Also- it looks like AK is better, so, time to move on and not get so negative on the kids that for better or worse, played his heart out for us while he was here.,,
Key point: "Gavin was the best QB on our roster last year."
Also probably the most talented, but his passing skills didn't show it.
Wimsatt never developed into the player his talent implied he could be ,when he committed.

Reactions: yesrutgers01

I don't know what they were thinking. I just know the Teel, Britt and Underwood owned the real estate between the 20s. When Britt scored it was on long passes and he only had 2 actual short red zone TDs. One would have thought Britt would be a monster in the end zone but it never really happened.

I don't know what they were thinking. I just know the Teel, Britt and Underwood owned the real estate between the 20s. When Britt scored it was on long passes and he only had 2 actual short red zone TDs. One would have thought Britt would be a monster in the end zone but it never really happened.
This was the strange thing in those day- obviously- Rice was taking 20+ TD’s. And then, GS1.0 really didn’t do much beside target Britt- teams knew this and did everything possible to stop Britt.
We made ourselves so limited.
But to say Britt just ran under balls and was not a hand WR- I am not sure you ever watched him play.
I don’t care where on the field- not many times a defender out “handed” him to a ball

Reactions: Knight Shift
Changing the subject, how bad must Evan Simon be to not win the starting job at Temple. The QB starter, Forrest Brock, was absolutely horrible. Way over his head. And the coach says they are sticking with him, but on a shorter leash against Navy than with Oklahoma whatever that means.

Temple's QB Choice

Changing the subject, how bad must Evan Simon be to not win the starting job at Temple. The QB starter, Forrest Brock, was absolutely horrible. Way over his head. And the coach says they are sticking with him, but on a shorter leash against Navy than with Oklahoma whatever that means.

Temple's QB Choice
Maybe it's not a reflection on how bad Evan Simon is, but how the coaches felt about Brock's performance in camp. Drayton's decision to stick with Brock after such a lousy performance may be a stroke of genius or his downfall.

EJ Warner, who bolted from Temple to go to Rice, had a so-so performance against the mighty Sam Houston Berkats on Saturday.

27/44 for 227 yards, 1 TD and 2 INT.

Cole Snyder had a nice game for EMU against UMass. 17/29 for 241 yards and 1 TD.

Cole Spoke at the EMU press conference today, and he spoke highly of Greg Schiano-cued up:

This was the strange thing in those day- obviously- Rice was taking 20+ TD’s. And then, GS1.0 really didn’t do much beside target Britt- teams knew this and did everything possible to stop Britt.
We made ourselves so limited.
But to say Britt just ran under balls and was not a hand WR- I am not sure you ever watched him play.
I don’t care where on the field- not many times a defender out “handed” him to a ball

Sanu had hands - Britt not so much.

In fact, Britt had small hands at combine - 9"
Draft previews also highlighted his hand weaknesses

"Will need to learn how to use his hands to get off the line. Displayed very inconsistent hands during his career due to poor concentration and hand strength, leading to body-catching too many passes."

Sanu had hands - Britt not so much.

In fact, Britt had small hands at combine - 9"
Draft previews also highlighted his hand weaknesses

"Will need to learn how to use his hands to get off the line. Displayed very inconsistent hands during his career due to poor concentration and hand strength, leading to body-catching too many passes."

also heard teams like Minnesota talking about his speed, good hands, strength and size.

It's funny though, was searching through youtube- very little K Britt Rutgers highlights. Though, the first 2 they show for Britt in the 07 USF game was over the middle- in hands in traffic.

What I can tell you from the players back then- like him or not- they all knew if the ball was in the air and anywhere near him- he was going to get it or hurt the other guy that was trying to get it.

BTW- because of Kenny- Ti Underwood may be one of the most underrated WR's in college ever.

Reactions: MADHAT1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT