ADVERTISEMENT

OT: ESPN fires football analyst Robert Griffin III and host Samantha Ponder

In my opinion, I didn’t think either was bad at all. There are much worse personas on ESPN football coverage.
That's been voiced quite a bit today. Stephen A Smith and Pat McAfee come to mind. They rub a lot of people the wrong way, but they apparently don't say the "wrong" things. Samantha Ponder was particularly good at her job. She will get a job somewhere else and thrive.

Reactions: bac2therac
ESPN is trying to keep viewers and some don't bring in enough
Griffin III and Ponder just didn't attracted enough viewers watching them to be considered a valuable commodity and got the boot because of not having enough star power to save their jobs.
What they stand for won't affect their position too much if they help the ratings
Stephen A Smith and Pat McAfee bring in viewers and have the type of star power that makes them worth keeping no matter what they say
Even though I won't watch them ,too many watch both of their shows and that makes them valuable commodities that help ESPN's ratings and good ratings bring job security

Sam's problem is she is white and a Christian. She has been pretty vocal on X lately about men in women's sports. I figured something was up. Herbie is just as vocal lately so maybe he is on the block as well.
Well white and Christian is an old refrain with me. It doesn’t matter. In fact, black and non Christian doesn’t matter either. What matters is who does their job well. I did not think either person was bad at what they did. So I did not think they should be replaced.

ESPN is trying to keep viewers and some don't bring in enough
Griffin III and Ponder just didn't attracted enough viewers watching them to be considered a valuable commodity and got the boot because of not having enough star power to save their jobs.
What they stand for won't affect their position too much if they help the ratings
Stephen A Smith and Pat McAfee bring in viewers and have the type of star power that makes them worth keeping no matter what they say
Even though I won't watch them ,too many watch both of their shows and that makes them valuable commodities that help ESPN's ratings and good ratings bring job security
It’s not about star power with ESPN. It’s about how many roles you can play since they need to be more efficient. SAS and Pat M are on every day. And SAS does radio and NBA shows. All their top talent does multiple roles. Guys like Buccigross & Steve Levy all do SportsCenter, play by play and studio hosting. Ponder was a nice to have since she only did the NFL show. RGIII did college football games so I am kind surprised he is gone.

Ponder will end up back on a sideline for Fox (or another pre-game) if she wants it.

Samantha would not talk the talk or walk the walk, and they made her walk. Such a shame people can not be firm in their convictions and keep their jobs.
yup just like Sage Steele we know whats going on...apparently there was some other espn personality who made a public endorsement for president and she will be perfectly fine

Sam Ponder didn’t toe the party line on trans athletes so she’s gone. Simple as that. I no longer watch ESPN and I’m not alone

yup just like Sage Steele we know whats going on...apparently there was some other espn personality who made a public endorsement for president and she will be perfectly fine

Can we confine the politics and political persecution-complexes to the CE board? No?

I don't know Ponder but always liked RGIII.
One of the sadder things I've seen in NFL was Shanahan keeping Griffith in a playoff game with obvious leg injuries.
On top of that he was the worst player for taking contact that I ever saw.
If a defender had him low he would stand straight-up and not even try to reposition for the next hit .

I stopped watching ESPN after Stuart Scott era.
It used to be fun to wake-up and put the sports highlights on with Stuart and his "cool side of the pillow" chat.
Then Disney started pumping the garbage in under the door

Sam's problem is she is white and a Christian. She has been pretty vocal on X lately about men in women's sports. I figured something was up. Herbie is just as vocal lately so maybe he is on the block as well.
Herbie is the face of college football as much as anyone in the media. He ain’t going anywhere.

Pretty important in the context of why espn lets certain commentators go
It’s not important in any context. It’s the least important thing anybody in the universe will think about in their entire lives.

What I have for breakfast later is infinitely more important. Which fingernail I clip first is vastly more important.

But hey, if you want to endlessly agonize over meaningless trivialities, that’s fine. Just do it in the meaningless trivialities to be outraged about forum (aka the CE board).

Cost cutting and nothing more. They have been doing for the past few years now. Nothing to see here.
They gotta get rid of legit personalities to be able to afford Stephen A Smith and Pat McAffee and his crew.

They gotta get rid of legit personalities to be able to afford Stephen A Smith and Pat McAffee and his crew.
I think in the case of both these people, nothing really stands out about them - they're just there. And as others have posted, they don't have multiple roles to make them more cost effective. I read that they may be bringing on Jason Kelce to replace Griffin. He has a big personality and already has a popular podcast with his brother for cross promotion opportunities. For better or worse, you have to stand out in that business. I don't really care for Pat or Stephen A, but they do stand out.

Reactions: tico brown
Herbstreit is like ChikFilA and Nike, too big for any attempt to cancel them to work.

Pretty important in the context of why espn lets certain commentators go
yes the ones that follow your POV are being discriminated against , those that don't : no matter how good they are, are not needed and deserve the boot..
Seems like one faction of this board brings in CE whines whenever they get the chance.

It’s not important in any context. It’s the least important thing anybody in the universe will think about in their entire lives.

What I have for breakfast later is infinitely more important. Which fingernail I clip first is vastly more important.

But hey, if you want to endlessly agonize over meaningless trivialities, that’s fine. Just do it in the meaningless trivialities to be outraged about forum (aka the CE board).

Left hand thumb first

• Haha
Reactions: mildone
I rarely watch sports on TV, especially with the sound up, but there was one time when I did and remember loving the commentator. It was a long time afterwards that I found out it was RG-III.

Despite what they say, most fans prefer the cliche-spouting, metaphor-butchering, narrative-following cookie cutter commentators, and from what I remember, he wasn't one of those. I realize that my tastes are different. If I had planned on watching these games, I'd be sorry to see him go...

Reactions: ashokan
Herbie has job security
He’s good at what he does and generates ratings

Plus, His public meltdown a few years ago coupled with him towing the company line w the playoff nonsense last year solidifies his place

I really like RG3
Why was he let go?

-vic
They've been doing budget cuts for years now. Rg3 had a pretty big contract, he's been trying to increase his social media engagement but looks like they are only keeping the big contract people that also have podcasts or some type of other media engagement avenues..

As far as ponder goes, she had a very limited role, looks like Laura Rutledge has become the go to host for football. Ponder was only on one show.. I doubt it's about politics, Rutledge is the better host imo..

Reactions: MADHAT1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT