ADVERTISEMENT

OT: ESPN's Edward Aschoff Dies at 34

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
"Edward Aschoff, a beloved college football reporter for ESPN, died on Tuesday after a brief illness. He was 34."

continued at:

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/i...ff-espn-college-football-reporter-dies-age-34
cfntalk0f8a3367-d2bd-4446-b045-6a606e918a71-2aschoff.jpg

It killed Jack LaLanne.
Sure he was 96,but he was in better health than 99 per cent of the people in the world at the time of his death.
Don't be an anti-vaxxer.Get the shot and live to see us win the Rose Bowl.

Last edited:
When young people die from bacterial and viral pneumonia it’s often because of their own aggressive immune response causing ARDS, etc. I’m not sure of his specific case but the statement 34 year old don’t die from pneumonia is simply not true.
And how small is that number? Most people who develop ARDS are older, have sepsis or some other issue like alcoholism. Sure some 30 year olds die from pneumonia but lets not make it seem like it’s normal

Reactions: Steve91562
And how small is that number? Most people who develop ARDS are older, have sepsis or some other issue like alcoholism. Sure some 30 year olds die from pneumonia but lets not make it seem like it’s normal

many of the most horrible cases I’ve seen are young healthy people, especially w viral pneumonia. Sure older people, immunocompromised, etc die at a higher rate across the board, but that’s not the point I’m making

May he Rest In Peace. So awful for that young mans family and loved ones...

Reactions: Bagarocks
Could be what I had a few years ago: infective endocarditis. I had a 25% shot of not making it after being admitted to the ER. Had I waited another few hours it would’ve been 50/50. “Luckily” I had the bacterial form, not the fungal, otherwise I would’ve been tits-up weeks earlier (a lot more to the story). Nasty illness that very few have ever even heard about.

I had one pneumonia 7 years ago. I thought I was dying. It was awful. It’s possible to die from it but extremely rare at a younger age. Likely more to the story.

RIP

Saw that story yesterday and all the stuff posted above birthday, instagram, fiance' etc...so tragic and sad.

Had it when I was young maybe first or second grade. Have vague memories of it...was hospitalized missed a bunch of school got a bunch of those crayon/construction paper get well cards from my class and was still promoted to the next grade..but that's about all I remember I'm sure my parents must've been very worried. Sure healthy people survive these things more often than not but there's always the rare occurrence of flu, pneumonia or what not that can be fatal even for a healthy person.

I had pneumonia at 2. Old Dr. Marcus in Somerville let me turn purple and said it could go either way. In 1954 it was fine fi a wing and a prayer. Incidentally I lived...

Reactions: redking and aroost
It killed Jack LaLanne.
Sure he was 96,but he was in better health than 99 per cent of the people in the world at the time of his death.
Don't be an anti-vaxxer.Get the shot and live to see us win the Rose Bowl.

This.

Some info about pneumonia so wild speculation doesn’t become an issue surrounding this young man’s death.

5. While young healthy adults have less risk of pneumonia than the age extremes, it is always a threat. Half of all non-immunocompromised adults hospitalized for severe pneumonia in the US are younger adults (18-57 years of age). Half the deaths from bacteremic pneumococcal pneumonia occur in people ages 18-64

https://www.thoracic.org/patients/patient-resources/resources/top-pneumonia-facts.pdf

Can You Die from Pneumonia? What You Need to Know
https://www.healthline.com/health/pneumonia/can-you-die-from-pneumonia#more-dangerous-types

When I was 10 years old I had pneumonia that lasted 8 months. I was in and out of the hospital repeatedly, collapsed lung, constant coughing and fever. At the time (30 years ago) they said that strain of pneumonia (mycoplasma) had a 10% death rate ... so it definitely happens.

Some info about pneumonia so wild speculation doesn’t become an issue surrounding this young man’s death.

5. While young healthy adults have less risk of pneumonia than the age extremes, it is always a threat. Half of all non-immunocompromised adults hospitalized for severe pneumonia in the US are younger adults (18-57 years of age). Half the deaths from bacteremic pneumococcal pneumonia occur in people ages 18-64

https://www.thoracic.org/patients/patient-resources/resources/top-pneumonia-facts.pdf

Can You Die from Pneumonia? What You Need to Know
https://www.healthline.com/health/pneumonia/can-you-die-from-pneumonia#more-dangerous-types
18-64. That’s some range

When I was 10 years old I had pneumonia that lasted 8 months. I was in and out of the hospital repeatedly, collapsed lung, constant coughing and fever. At the time (30 years ago) they said that strain of pneumonia (mycoplasma) had a 10% death rate ... so it definitely happens.
Like I said above I have vague memories of it but felt like I missed a lot of the school year or months but thought to myself couldn’t have been that’s way too long but reading your story maybe it was.

Reactions: sunsetregret
A young man passes away from pneumonia on his birthday and these are the types of posts coming from our resident trash bags on Christmas of all days...
Save the moronic and limp wristed outrage. When someone this young dies of this, you absolutely think of these types if causations.

Reactions: Caliknight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT