ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Evan Simon

I will admit after my smart ass remark, you piqued my interest, and I am watching the game on ESPN plus. Evan looks good.
I wonder.. after seeing what a largely pocket passer Athan.K has done for us whether any here now think we should have given Simon a serious look in games.. at least last year. Like when GW got hurt at Wisconsin. But I suppose we would have had to given him the first-team reps in practice and prepared a game plan around his skillset.

In any case.. hope he does well and our QBs continue to prove themselves when called on in every game. Let's all win!

"Bless his heart, he just didn't have enough ass behind him to punch it in".

So Ash replaced Tylin Oden with Jonathan Lewis, for whom ass sufficiency was not an issue
Not that it made a difference, since he turned Lewis into a TE that was never thrown the ball.

He had tools - he could just start to break erratic when he pushed too hard (Iowa 2022 was a great game until...)

Wishing Evan success at Temple, he's at a program his talents might be suited best at.
Shame is that program isn't very good..
Maybe Simon as the starter might make a difference , but we better not count on it.

Good for Evan. Several posters embarrassed themselves in this thread saying he would never play. I wish him well. He’s at the right level to get an opportunity.

I wonder.. after seeing what a largely pocket passer Athan.K has done for us whether any here now think we should have given Simon a serious look in games.. at least last year. Like when GW got hurt at Wisconsin. But I suppose we would have had to given him the first-team reps in practice and prepared a game plan around his skillset.

In any case.. hope he does well and our QBs continue to prove themselves when called on in every game. Let's all win!
No lol there is a reason he is playing down at temple . Hope he succeeds at that level, good kid.

Reactions: satnom
No lol there is a reason he is playing down at temple . Hope he succeeds at that level, good kid.
What was LOL about what I said? Why do you think we take QBs that cannot play QB at this level? And if we do that, why is one much better than another?

My take is that we have had successive short-term OCs who wanted running QBs who could handle the RPO. Playing Vedral over anyone else on our roster.. that explained that. Same for Wimsatt. Meanwhile our recruiting often takes years and years to develop relationships that result in commitments that stick. It is not like we're Georgia who can appear uninterested in a player and then suddenly toss an offer data guy that results in a player abandoning a school to choose them.

SInce Wimsatt did not really seem to run an RPO, and yesterday's VTech game showed what that should look more like, I still think the case is made that a more accurate QB would have been better.. even if that player is not QB at a lower level.

For example.. Cole Snyder is now at Eastern Michigan and vs Washington he seems to have been harrassed.. 7 sacks.. and still threw for nearly 60%. Simon just had a nice game vs lowly Utah State throwing 5 TDs for a QBR of over 200... and he ran for 49 yards too.

To be clear.. I am not saying I have proof Simon would have been a better choice last year. I am saying I would have liked to have seen what Simon could have done for us and I suspect the bias toward an RPO-style QB is what prevented us from seeing that.

What was LOL about what I said? Why do you think we take QBs that cannot play QB at this level? And if we do that, why is one much better than another?

My take is that we have had successive short-term OCs who wanted running QBs who could handle the RPO. Playing Vedral over anyone else on our roster.. that explained that. Same for Wimsatt. Meanwhile our recruiting often takes years and years to develop relationships that result in commitments that stick. It is not like we're Georgia who can appear uninterested in a player and then suddenly toss an offer data guy that results in a player abandoning a school to choose them.

SInce Wimsatt did not really seem to run an RPO, and yesterday's VTech game showed what that should look more like, I still think the case is made that a more accurate QB would have been better.. even if that player is not QB at a lower level.

For example.. Cole Snyder is now at Eastern Michigan and vs Washington he seems to have been harrassed.. 7 sacks.. and still threw for nearly 60%. Simon just had a nice game vs lowly Utah State throwing 5 TDs for a QBR of over 200... and he ran for 49 yards too.

To be clear.. I am not saying I have proof Simon would have been a better choice last year. I am saying I would have liked to have seen what Simon could have done for us and I suspect the bias toward an RPO-style QB is what prevented us from seeing that.
That poster is an a-hole and on ignore. Totally missed the context of your post.

Agree with you. For some reason, Greg and Kirk gave Gavin a lot of extra chances, but it worked because he was a run threat. There is really no doubt Simon and Snyder are better passers. Derp---LOL, but it's Temple. Double Derp--their receivers and skill players are worse than P5 receivers and skill players, and it is still football, and the QB accuracy is important. This was something Gavin lacked. Don't know why that is so hard for some to understand.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
That poster is an a-hole and on ignore. Totally missed the context of your post.

Agree with you. For some reason, Greg and Kirk gave Gavin a lot of extra chances, but it worked because he was a run threat. There is really no doubt Simon and Snyder are better passers. Derp---LOL, but it's Temple. Double Derp--their receivers and skill players are worse than P5 receivers and skill players, and it is still football, and the QB accuracy is important. This was something Gavin lacked. Don't know why that is so hard for some to understand.
Had not seen the other posts about Simon's Utah State game when I replied. Seems obvious now that he should have been given a shot last year while also seeing that our OC's preference for an RPO guy who can actually run it is important THIS year.

Last year's "top" WR hasn't caught a pass this year.
Massive upgrades at WR this year seem mostly unnoticed.
Put last year's WR corps on this year's team and vice versa - night and day

Schiano said Kirk kept passes short last year because OL couldn't handle long passes.
Maybe they cant this year either with all the shorter passes.
The sideline passes to higher flats haven't been beautiful

Reactions: Knight Shift
Holy crap...Yes he should have started while at RU...Gavin should have never seen the field..team would have been a playoff team if the coaches weren't so stubborn and listened to the message board..fire schiano...

Holy crap...Yes he should have started while at RU...Gavin should have never seen the field..team would have been a playoff team if the coaches weren't so stubborn and listened to the message board..fire schiano...
Over Your Head Dodge GIF by Jeremy Speed Schwartz

Please, let me know the point of still questioning who last year's starter should have been? Cause in my head I have it that guys are still trying to prove themselves right in message board discussions from last year. I root for all RU affiliated guys as well, even rene konga over at Louisville so it's good to see how they are doing. But to question who last year's starter should have been seems pointless to me unless you're trying to rip on the coaches....Simon throws for 5tdd against Utah State and it's "I wonder if this changes some people's mind on him getting more of a chance last year".. No it doesn't because last year was a success... Yes the coaches wanted to focus on the run and minimize the opportunity for mistakes i.e Michigan throwing for 34 yards yesterday while beating USC....did RU have the infrastructure to support a passing offense last year? You may say yes but the coaches say no so idk what else to tell you besides he should have started and the coaches were wrong..

Please, let me know the point of still questioning who last year's starter should have been? Cause in my head I have it that guys are still trying to prove themselves right in message board discussions from last year. I root for all RU affiliated guys as well, even rene konga over at Louisville so it's good to see how they are doing. But to question who last year's starter should have been seems pointless to me unless you're trying to rip on the coaches....Simon throws for 5tdd against Utah State and it's "I wonder if this changes some people's mind on him getting more of a chance last year".. No it doesn't because last year was a success... Yes the coaches wanted to focus on the run and minimize the opportunity for mistakes i.e Michigan throwing for 34 yards yesterday while beating USC....did RU have the infrastructure to support a passing offense last year? You may say yes but the coaches say no so idk what else to tell you besides he should have started and the coaches were wrong..
The point you missed is they did not question who the starter was. I'm not going to go back and re-read every single post, but there could have been situations/packages for a better passer. On the other hand, it may have been the Nebraska game where Simon sealed his fate with a bad game. My point is that both Simon and Snyder are far better passers than Wimsatt, but that does not mean they should have been starters. They built the offensive around Gavin, and I have no problem with that. Snyder and Simon had other limitations and perhaps did not practice well enough to be starters.

I saw the Michigan stats and highlights from yesterday and I agree with you. Meathead football wins in the B1G. I was happy to see Boy Wonder Lincoln Riley lose that way. So, we agree more than we disagree. Maybe you disagree with other posters. Peace.

I had to laugh because we just finished a crazy , much anticipated game and you post about an old RU QB. Strange . There is a guy on here called madchuck and he is the same he just can’t let go of old QBs . Gives us updates on old qbs like spying on old girlfriends lol give him a call to discuss it off line. All good bro.

Again - last years WR were D2/3 with possible exception of Washington.
Schiano admitted the WR corps was weak and he was scanning the portal.
Sheduer Sanders wouldn't have lit-up the passing game last year.
Evan had skills but he could be an turnover machine and Schiano only allows that for Bosco players lol.
It just might be that young QBs are better off learning somewhere else

I think you are spot on people want to prove themselves right from their prior years assessment of QBs . They need to let it go we are in the middle of a big season.

I think you are spot on people want to prove themselves right from their prior years assessment of QBs . They need to let it go we are in the middle of a big season.
Yeah I agree. Also many just like to say our coaches suck and many always want the backup QB after a loss. Simon had his chances here. Plus it's not always the best passer but the guy who can make plays and lead the team to wins and bowl games. Gavin did that last year. AK beat him out this year.

Having said that, wishing Simon all the best and Gavin as well.

When Cole Snyder stops being the exRU QB of the hour
Evan Simon steps up .

It is obvious that no one at RU is qualified to recognizeQB talent .Or develop it.The most important position on the team gets lost in limbo because no one knows how to find and develop a QB

Again - last years WR were D2/3 with possible exception of Washington.
Schiano admitted the WR corps was weak and he was scanning the portal.
Sheduer Sanders wouldn't have lit-up the passing game last year.
Evan had skills but he could be an turnover machine and Schiano only allows that for Bosco players lol.
It just might be that young QBs are better off learning somewhere else

I hear ya here and agree to a point. But the biggest issue with last year's starter was he could not complete 50% of the dump off passes or passes in the flat. For whatever reason, he lacked touch on the short passes, and this had nothing to do with receivers being open. He was a bad thrower in those situations, and there is no sugar coating or excuses for that. I hope he improves and does better at Kentucky. A very nice young man and a great athlete.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
When Cole Snyder stops being the exRU QB of the hour
Evan Simon steps up .
Cole has a subpar game yesterday, but he is having a great season too. The EMU head coach still sang Cole's praises as the leader of the offense.
Interesting on the QB front. EJ Warner, who was very good at Temple, is not doing so well at Rice. Could it be the OL or receivers, or is it him? I don't know, but there are many factors that affect a QBs stats and performance that are not related to the QB skill.

I hear ya here and agree to a point. But the biggest issue with last year's starter was he could not complete 50% of the dump off passes or passes in the flat. For whatever reason, he lacked touch on the short passes, and this had nothing to do with receivers being open. He was a bad thrower in those situations, and there is no sugar coating or excuses for that. I hope he improves and does better at Kentucky. A very nice young man and a great athlete.
I believe Wimsatt would make a good QB in G conference team, two ex RU QB have been touted for their accomplishments as G conference starters.
Wimsatt might have a future at Kentucky but I believe the starter there will be starting in 2025 as well.
Gavin might like being home, but he also might look at a G conference program if he wants to be the starter.
Then , if he does well, he might become the (new ) one that got away poster child and have his stats posted on this board in loving memory of what could have been.
That said, I wish Gavin a college football career he will enjoy and leave happy with a degree that will help him succeed after his college years are over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT