ADVERTISEMENT

OT: EZ pass question

retired711

Heisman Winner
Nov 20, 2001
Cherry Hill
I should know the answer, but I don't:

I have an EZ-pass account. My car was declared a total loss and I've just gotten a new one. I've gone to the E-Z pass site, deleted the old car, and added the new one with the temporary tag. (I'll change to the new tag once I get it.) I also requested a new transponder. Can I use E-Z pass before I get the new transponder? If not, can I use E-Z pass by attaching the old transponder (which has seen better days) to the new car? Thanks to all!

As long as the old transponder is attached to your account, you can use the old transponder with the new car. For example, I bought a new car last summer and used my old transponder (still do). I just sat it on the dash until the new double sided tape pieces arrived.

I have an EZ-pass account. My car was declared a total loss and I've just gotten a new one. I've gone to the E-Z pass site, deleted the old car, and added the new one with the temporary tag. (I'll change to the new tag once I get it.) I also requested a new transponder. Can I use E-Z pass before I get the new transponder? If not, can I use E-Z pass by attaching the old transponder (which has seen better days) to the new car? Thanks to all!
Use the old transponder for now
Go into your ez
pass account on line and put the temp tag license plate number temporarily

Don’t forget to return the old transponder once you get the new one in place. They will charge you for it if not returned.

Reactions: retired711
I update my account for new cars once in a while, and try to keep things straight, but have never worried about using a transponder for the new car that may have been "attached" to the old car. EZ-Pass doesn't care...

I had a new car with temp plates

I put the transponder in it and went through a turnpike toll where it did not register

I received a ticket in the mail
A phone call to the ez pass office straightened it out, did not have to pay

I think if I had put the temp plate into my account for those couple of weeks I would not have gotten the ticket

I put the transponder in it and went through a turnpike toll where it did not register

I think if I had put the temp plate into my account for those couple of weeks I would not have gotten the ticket
I recently switched cars. Using the same transponder, but just updated my account online with the temp plate and then the permanent plate. No issues.

I recently switched cars. Using the same transponder, but just updated my account online with the temp plate and then the permanent plate. No issues.
Yes, it is a good idea to put the temp plate on the account
in case the transponder is not read, for that short period of time that you have temp plates

As I found out

Use the old transponder, but if you register the temp plate to your account you should be fine. I do not even have a transponder on my motorcycles and they just read the plate and I do not have an issue.

I do not even have a transponder on my motorcycles and they just read the plate and I do not have an issue.
Wow, did not know that. It kind of opens up a can of worms about mail/fines I sometimes get when my transponder is not read properly (which are easily explained away, but it is an unneeded exercise).

I am PA Turnpike Commission EZPass subscriber. Maybe it's different for Jersey-based EZPass. More likely, I just don't know anything about this...

Last edited:
Wow, did not know that. It kind of opens up a can of worms about mail/fines I sometimes get when my transponder is not read properly (which are easily explained away, but it is an unneeded exercise).

I am PA Turnpike Commission subscriber. Maybe it's different for Jersey-based EZPass. More likely, I just don't know anything about this...

I am not saying it is the right thing to do, but half the time I forget the transponder (NJ EZ Pass) when I get on the bike and I have never got a ticket. All of the plates of my vehicles are listed on the account.

Reactions: dconifer
I am going to say that if you have EZ Pass and now have a different Car/Plate- that even though you will receive toll by mail- and if you pay it- no fines, you will not be getting the discounts. And if you have not put the new car/plate on you old EZ Pass- it will just be treated like anyone else that does not have EZ Pass-

It takes just a few minutes to call them and have them walk you through it.

I am going to say that if you have EZ Pass and now have a different Car/Plate- that even though you will receive toll by mail- and if you pay it- no fines, you will not be getting the discounts. And if you have not put the new car/plate on you old EZ Pass- it will just be treated like anyone else that does not have EZ Pass-

It takes just a few minutes to call them and have them walk you through it.
Thanks! It's impossible to get through without a 15 plus minute hold, and their system is not smart enough to offer to call back. But I did go on the website and register the car with the temporary plate. A new tag is coming in the mail, but I think we can attach the old one temporarily with the help of some adhesive strips.

My NH moose plates have two smaller, vertically-oriented letters to the left of the actual plate number. I have found that I needed to register multiple variations of the plate numbers (with these 2 letters and without) to avoid problems.
It only matters if the transponder fails for whatever reason, but avoids letters from ezpass.

I congratulate the responders here as folks who actually pay their tolls. So many don’t. Tons of folks scamming the system.

Thanks! It's impossible to get through without a 15 plus minute hold, and their system is not smart enough to offer to call back. But I did go on the website and register the car with the temporary plate. A new tag is coming in the mail, but I think we can attach the old one temporarily with the help of some adhesive strips.
@yesrutgers01 is correct as it pertains to discounts. Happened to me when I got a new car. Same class, different owner/registration (wife) and address (😉).

@yesrutgers01 is correct as it pertains to discounts. Happened to me when I got a new car. Same class, different owner/registration (wife) and address (😉).
The discounts are significant on the NJ turnpike -- about 20%. I now have a new tag and I will attach it. There is an EZ-pass office by the toll booths on the NJ side of the Ben Franklin bridge, and I will return the old tag (which is minus its adhesive) there. Thanks to everyone for helping!!

Reactions: yesrutgers01
I congratulate the responders here as folks who actually pay their tolls. So many don’t. Tons of folks scamming the system.
how can you get away without? I know you may be able to do it for a bit but at some time- you will need to renew your license or registration.

Though, at one time, we had a SIL that used our address on her DL...a couple of years later- we got a notice to her from EZpass. We let her know and she told us to just throw it out.

Knowing she had used our address- somehow, when throwing it out, it got caught on something that tore it open..........and saw it was a bill for over 10k...lol

I would pay twice as much for EZPass just so I didn't have to wait in toll lines. Never understood why everyone doesn't use EZPass.

I would pay twice as much for EZPass just so I didn't have to wait in toll lines. Never understood why everyone doesn't use EZPass.
I remember one year on NJ.COM HS Wrestling forum, somebody made a post asking what the biggest surprise was at the high school wrestling championships. One dude replied "I'm surprised so many people don't have EZPass."

I remember one year on NJ.COM HS Wrestling forum, somebody made a post asking what the biggest surprise was at the high school wrestling championships. One dude replied "I'm surprised so many people don't have EZPass."
The worst road not to have it is the GSP- not for speed and ease- but those little off ramps that only accept ex pass or exact change. The panic that sets in when you don’t have 3 quarters but do have a dollar bill lol

Exact same happened to my daughter who's on my account. 100% correct. It happened just before she had put the temp number in.

Just drove up from fla. couple weeks ago. Nice to see several states down south now accepting exp. George had a sign up and man did it help around Atlanta.

Reactions: RU848789
Just drove up from fla. couple weeks ago. Nice to see several states down south now accepting exp. George had a sign up and man did it help around Atlanta.
Yikes...haven't been there in a while and don't recall tolls in GA...maybe on the 400. Driving down 95 is pretty expensive now just getting through DC/NorthernVirginia.

Yikes...haven't been there in a while and don't recall tolls in GA...maybe on the 400. Driving down 95 is pretty expensive now just getting through DC/NorthernVirginia.
I avoided 95 going down until Richmond as I went thru Eastern Shore of MD (301) across Annapolis Bridge. NOBODY on that route until across the bridge. I see it cost me $7 for two tolls (the Bay Bay noted and then another on 301 across the Potomac).

I came back home up from the Gulf Coast thru Bama past Atlanta, Charlotte, to 81. The tolls around Atlanta were for those new Express lanes where you pay to avoid sitting in the stalled traffic. My GPS was all Green UNTIL it suddenly went Yellow/Red for 20 miles in the middle of the day. Could have taken the bypass but it was green (at the time) and my wife had never seen the city. Can't wait to get the bill. (and she had her head in a book the whole time to boot).

Reactions: Section124
I avoided 95 going down until Richmond as I went thru Eastern Shore of MD (301) across Annapolis Bridge. NOBODY on that route until across the bridge. I see it cost me $7 for two tolls (the Bay Bay noted and then another on 301 across the Potomac).

I came back home up from the Gulf Coast thru Bama past Atlanta, Charlotte, to 81. The tolls around Atlanta were for those new Express lanes where you pay to avoid sitting in the stalled traffic. My GPS was all Green UNTIL it suddenly went Yellow/Red for 20 miles in the middle of the day. Could have taken the bypass but it was green (at the time) and my wife had never seen the city. Can't wait to get the bill. (and she had her head in a book the whole time to boot).
That is a nice ride in the Fall and late Spring.

My kids went/go to school in DC.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84

I will tell you I hardly EVER use Cruise Control. I had it on for about 80% of that trip starting with that 301 area using the buttons to control up and down speeds as needed. Hardly saw any damn cars. Seriously. (well except I did see a train of like 5 big black Government SUVs heading up the North side at one time).

Speaking of the North side..and you have probably seen this if you travel that highway...I laughed out loud. They have the the 301 South Signs posted roadside and then right next to them they have the 301 North sign posted with a UTurn arrow underneath. Like No Crap, you're going south and need to turn around to go North...

I've sat in Atlanta expressway traffic -- on a weekend, no less. I would have paid the tolls gladly.

I take the Eastern Shore route whenever I go visit my parents in the Washington suburbs. It's all freeway now, even through Delaware, thanks to newish Delaware Route 1. Hopefully more people don't start doing that...

I should know the answer, but . . . I got E-Z pass to send me a new tag. Must I return the old one? If so, I am hoping I can drop it off at the E-Z pass office in Camden right by the tollbooths for the Ben Franklin Bridge.

I've asked E-Z pass this and gotten no response. Figures.

I should know the answer, but . . . I got E-Z pass to send me a new tag. Must I return the old one? If so, I am hoping I can drop it off at the E-Z pass office in Camden right by the tollbooths for the Ben Franklin Bridge.

Yes.

Unless it's expired, you don't have to return it and can use in another vehicle. Usually when they send a new one (for expired tags) it comes in a silver sleeve and return envelope. The sleeve protects the transponder from being read while in transit if mailed. Dropping off is always best if you don't need it. I like to keep an extra in case family needs one / or have a rental car.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT