ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Fictional Characters Whose Death You Still Haven't Gotten Over

The Yearling young boy has to kill the fawn he raised that was eating all of their food

If you recall, the final Col. Blake MASH episode had ended happily, or so we thought. They went to the final commercial and returned for the one minute denouement when usually nothing happens.

Col. Blake didn't have to die. It was unnecessary to the overall plot line. And yet, it was so necessary.

I believe you are mixing up two stories.

I had always heard killing was Blake was, as Stevenson said, to keep the character from being cheapened, but also as an FU to Stevenson for leaving a good thing and chasing money . Remember, they had to make a lot of cast changes within a few years and no one could be sure the show wasn’t going to suffer in the ratings for it.

The person the rest of the cast could not stand and were happy to see leave was Gary Burghoff.

I've never met Gary Burghoff, but I recall seeing him on game shows (e.g. Hollywood Squares and the like) and he did not strike me as someone I would want to know.

McLean Stevenson remarked before his death that leaving MASH was the biggest mistake of his career. But it was probably good for the show to bring in Henry Morgan, just as it was probably good to replace Larry Linville with David Ogden Stiers -- fresh blood was needed. Everyone I've mentioned in this paragraph is now gone.
Say what you will about Radar, but he did have to do that scene multiple times.

And IMO he nailed the one they ended up using in the actual episode.

Say what you will about Radar, but he did have to do that scene multiple times.

And IMO he nailed the one they ended up using in the actual episode.
No one said he wasn't a good actor. But I can believe (as suggested by a poster above) that he was hard to deal with.

No one said he wasn't a good actor. But I can believe (as suggested by a poster above) that he was hard to deal with.
Agree.

Was just commenting on his performance in that scene as I read he had to do it multiple times.

Agree.

Was just commenting on his performance in that scene as I read he had to do it multiple times.
Doing it as many times as needed is his job. But I agree that the result was excellent. Sometimes obnoxious people are very good at what they do -- I'm sure you know many examples.

Doing it as many times as needed is his job. But I agree that the result was excellent. Sometimes obnoxious people are very good at what they do -- I'm sure you know many examples.
Some are even on here. LOL

(not you ☺️)

Some are even on here. LOL

(not you ☺️)
I'm sure you would agree that the vast majority of obnoxious posters on this site are far from brilliant -- indeed, they are obnoxious because they sense that they can't support their positions rationally and so they resort to insulting others.

I'm sure you would agree that the vast majority of obnoxious posters on this site are far from brilliant -- indeed, they are obnoxious because they sense that they can't support their positions rationally and so they resort to insulting others.
Construction Hammer GIF by Biteable

Mellish in Saving Private Ryan

As brutal as that movie is at times this is the one death I can't watch. The personal nature, face to face, inches apart, sweating on each other, begging for mercy fight is too much for me.
Was this where Umpham let that guy die?

Got "over" all of them but the most memorable was Robert Duvall's death in "Lonesome Dove."
Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones are retired Texas Rangers who decide to drive cattle to Montana.
Duvall (Augustus McCrae) gets shot in an Indian fight and one his deathbed he makes Jones (Woodrow F. Call) promise that he'll take Duvalls' body back to Texas to be buried along a river where he spent time with his lost love. Its a memorable trip back

I think its the best western ever and Duvall said it was his favorite role. He based his portray on Sammy Baugh's mannerisms

Lonesome Dove: A Promise Between Two Men​

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Thomas in "The Patriot" was heart wrenching. How about Dobby the house elf in Harry Potter - brought tears to my eyes.
Funny story about that. Coworker was telling her mom that (Larry) Doby had died. Same time as a new Potter book came out - not the one that Dobby dies. Her husband freaked out because he thought she was talking about the Potter book and had just spoiled it for him.

Was the problem with Radar a political issue because he was a conservative surrounded by liberals? Or was it related to acting?

Was the problem with Radar a political issue because he was a conservative surrounded by liberals? Or was it related to acting?
I think the answer is neither. Reportedly, Burghoff was just a pain in the ass to work with. Plus near the end of his run on the show, he was going through a messy divorce, which may have soured his disposition further.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT