ADVERTISEMENT

OT: First Player in MLB History to Play in Same Game for Both Teams This Monday

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
Danny Jansen was the Toronto Blue Jays catcher when the June 26th game with the Red Sox was suspended. On July 27th he was traded to the Red Sox. When the game resumes on Monday, he will be catching for the Red Sox. A first in the history of major league baseball.

I always wondered if there is some scenario where a pitcher can be the winning and losing pitcher in the same scenario.

By the way, Joel Youngblood is one of a very few that to have played (and the only one to have gotten hits) with two different teams on the same day. On August 4, 1982, Youngblood got a hit off of Ferguson Jenkins against the Cubs. He was pulled from the game in the third inning when the Mets traded him to the Montreal Expos. The Expos were playing the Phillies that night in Philadelphia and he then got a hit off of Steve Carlton.

Danny Jansen was the Toronto Blue Jays catcher when the June 26th game with the Red Sox was suspended. On July 27th he was traded to the Red Sox. When the game resumes on Monday, he will be catching for the Red Sox. A first in the history of major league baseball.

I always wondered if there is some scenario where a pitcher can be the winning and losing pitcher in the same scenario.

By the way, Joel Youngblood is one of a very few that to have played (and the only one to have gotten hits) with two different teams on the same day. On August 4, 1982, Youngblood got a hit off of Ferguson Jenkins against the Cubs. He was pulled from the game in the third inning when the Mets traded him to the Montreal Expos. The Expos were playing the Phillies that night in Philadelphia and he then got a hit off of Steve Carlton.

I believe a pitcher could be both a winner and loser for two different teams on the same day.
A suspended game with the pitcher leading after 5 innings for Team A that is made up on a future date with Team A while never giving up the lead and Team A wins the suspended game....AND that same pitcher was traded to Team B and he pitched for Team B on the same day as the suspended game....and was tagged for the loss.

I believe a pitcher could be both a winner and loser for two different teams on the same day.
A suspended game with the pitcher leading after 5 innings for Team A that is made up on a future date with Team A while never giving up the lead and Team A wins the suspended game....AND that same pitcher was traded to Team B and he pitched for Team B on the same day as the suspended game....and was tagged for the loss.
The scenario above would call for the pitcher of the original team to get a win while a member of his new team. But he can't get a loss for his new team since he didn't surrender the runs that gave the orginal team the lead.

You could lose a game AND get a save in the same game. Leave the original team trailing by 3 runs or less and never get a lead. Then come in the 9th and shut down your old team to get a save (or pitch the final three innings of the game that also qualifies for a save).

How you win and lose the same game, I would need a description of that scenario. I don't think you can call a game suspended until it has reached the official minimum length of a game. So how does one player win then lose (or lose then win) the suspended game?

Last edited:
I also read Jansen will catch the at bat he was supposed to be hitting and will instead be pinch hit for.

I also read Jansen will catch the at bat he was supposed to be hitting and will instead be pinch hit for.
"...Pinch-hitting for Danny Jansen: Dalton Varsho," Red Sox media relations coordinator Daveson Perez announced in the press box before the first pitch on Monday afternoon, which came 65 days, 18 hours and 35 minutes after the game was suspended by rain. "Defensive changes: Danny Jansen now at catcher..."

"... catcher, Bugs Bunny, first base Bugs Bunny, second base, Bugs Bunny......"

Reactions: rurichdog
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT