ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Florida Bar Owner bans masks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Augh. The politics aspects of everything is so annoying. One comment and one question for everyone.

Comment. Spoke with a Chinese woman I work with this week (She's American by most standard but family still in China). This was not a surprise whatsoever. She loaded up on masks, sanitizer, etc. very shortly after our calendar new year. There is zero chance she can know / do this and our government isn't aware from intelligence. That is Trump but also Fauci. So stoptrying to split the difference there.

Question. I could give two shits about blaming anyone. That can come later. What do all the prominent posters on this topic propose we do next? Waiting for a vaccine is NOT an answer. Asking you @RU848789 @Knight Shift @bac2therac and others

These aren't hoaxes, just shows poor judgement by the Trump, who becides being able to con his supporters, is easly conned by those he admires.
Jan. 24, Twitter:
“China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!”
Jan. 30, Fox News interview:
"China is not in great shape right now, unfortunately. But they're working very hard. We'll see what happens. But we're working very closely with China and other countries."
Feb. 7, Remarks at North Carolina Opportunity Now Summit in Charlotte, N.C.:
"I just spoke to President Xi last night, and, you know, we're working on the — the problem, the virus. It's a — it's a very tough situation. But I think he's going to handle it. I think he's handled it really well. We're helping wherever we can."
Feb. 7, Twitter:
“Just had a long and very good conversation by phone with President Xi of China. He is strong, sharp and powerfully focused on leading the counterattack on the Coronavirus. He feels they are doing very well, even building hospitals in a matter of only days … Great discipline is taking place in China, as President Xi strongly leads what will be a very successful operation. We are working closely with China to help!
Feb. 7, Remarks before Marine One departure:
"Late last night, I had a very good talk with President Xi, and we talked about — mostly about the coronavirus. They're working really hard, and I think they are doing a very professional job. They're in touch with World — the World — World Organization. CDC also. We're working together. But World Health is working with them. CDC is working with them. I had a great conversation last night with President Xi. It's a tough situation. I think they're doing a very good job.”
Feb. 10, Fox Business interview:
"I think China is very, you know, professionally run in the sense that they have everything under control," Trump said. "I really believe they are going to have it under control fairly soon. You know in April, supposedly, it dies with the hotter weather. And that's a beautiful date to look forward to. But China I can tell you is working very hard."
Feb. 10, campaign rally in Manchester, N.H.:
“I spoke with President Xi, and they’re working very, very hard. And I think it’s all going to work out fine.”
Feb. 13, Fox News interview:
“I think they've handled it professionally and I think they're extremely capable and I think President Xi is extremely capable and I hope that it's going to be resolved."
Feb. 18, remarks before Air Force One departure:
“I think President Xi is working very hard. As you know, I spoke with him recently. He’s working really hard. It’s a tough problem. I think he’s going to do — look, I’ve seen them build hospitals in a short period of time. I really believe he wants to get that done, and he wants to get it done fast. Yes, I think he’s doing it very professionally.”
Feb. 23, remarks before Marine One departure:
"I think President Xi is working very, very hard. I spoke to him. He's working very hard. I think he's doing a very good job. It's a big problem. But President Xi loves his country. He's working very hard to solve the problem, and he will solve the problem. OK?"
Feb. 26, remarks at a business roundtable in New Delhi, India:
“China is working very, very hard. I have spoken to President Xi, and they’re working very hard. And if you know anything about him, I think he’ll be in pretty good shape. They’re — they’ve had a rough patch, and I think right now they have it — it looks like they’re getting it under control more and more. They’re getting it more and more under control.”
Feb. 27, Coronavirus Task Force press conference:
“I spoke with President Xi. We had a great talk. He’s working very hard, I have to say. He’s working very, very hard. And if you can count on the reports coming out of China, that spread has gone down quite a bit. The infection seems to have gone down over the last two days. As opposed to getting larger, it’s actually gotten smaller.”
Feb. 29, Coronavirus Task Force press conference:
“China seems to be making tremendous progress. Their numbers are way down. … I think our relationship with China is very good. We just did a big trade deal. We’re starting on another trade deal with China — a very big one. And we’ve been working very closely. They’ve been talking to our people, we’ve been talking to their people, having to do with the virus.”

What a fool Trump proved to be letting China lie to him like he wound up lying to the American people.
Trump's lying and incompetence caused close to 200,00 lives to be lost and that's no hoax.

When it comes to handling totalian leaders, Trump defers to thir judgement and America soon finds out that wase the wrong thing for an American President to do.
How's Trump's love letters with Kim Jong-un doing.
Hell Trump bowed down top Turkey's Erdogan and abandoned the Kurds trying to curry favor with that totalitarian leader and now Turkey is in bed with Iran .

Seems like the enablers of the might Trump can't see he more bluff and bluster than a strong leader when it comes to dealing with dictator types

tds

Given that when you are at a bar, or at a restaurant you aren't wearing a mask the majority of the time you are there, this isn't really that much different then any other bar or restaurant.

But he is getting a ton of free press.

These aren't hoaxes, just shows poor judgement by the Trump, who becides being able to con his supporters, is easly conned by those he admires.
Jan. 24, Twitter:
“China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!”
Jan. 30, Fox News interview:
"China is not in great shape right now, unfortunately. But they're working very hard. We'll see what happens. But we're working very closely with China and other countries."
Feb. 7, Remarks at North Carolina Opportunity Now Summit in Charlotte, N.C.:
"I just spoke to President Xi last night, and, you know, we're working on the — the problem, the virus. It's a — it's a very tough situation. But I think he's going to handle it. I think he's handled it really well. We're helping wherever we can."
Feb. 7, Twitter:
“Just had a long and very good conversation by phone with President Xi of China. He is strong, sharp and powerfully focused on leading the counterattack on the Coronavirus. He feels they are doing very well, even building hospitals in a matter of only days … Great discipline is taking place in China, as President Xi strongly leads what will be a very successful operation. We are working closely with China to help!
Feb. 7, Remarks before Marine One departure:
"Late last night, I had a very good talk with President Xi, and we talked about — mostly about the coronavirus. They're working really hard, and I think they are doing a very professional job. They're in touch with World — the World — World Organization. CDC also. We're working together. But World Health is working with them. CDC is working with them. I had a great conversation last night with President Xi. It's a tough situation. I think they're doing a very good job.”
Feb. 10, Fox Business interview:
"I think China is very, you know, professionally run in the sense that they have everything under control," Trump said. "I really believe they are going to have it under control fairly soon. You know in April, supposedly, it dies with the hotter weather. And that's a beautiful date to look forward to. But China I can tell you is working very hard."
Feb. 10, campaign rally in Manchester, N.H.:
“I spoke with President Xi, and they’re working very, very hard. And I think it’s all going to work out fine.”
Feb. 13, Fox News interview:
“I think they've handled it professionally and I think they're extremely capable and I think President Xi is extremely capable and I hope that it's going to be resolved."
Feb. 18, remarks before Air Force One departure:
“I think President Xi is working very hard. As you know, I spoke with him recently. He’s working really hard. It’s a tough problem. I think he’s going to do — look, I’ve seen them build hospitals in a short period of time. I really believe he wants to get that done, and he wants to get it done fast. Yes, I think he’s doing it very professionally.”
Feb. 23, remarks before Marine One departure:
"I think President Xi is working very, very hard. I spoke to him. He's working very hard. I think he's doing a very good job. It's a big problem. But President Xi loves his country. He's working very hard to solve the problem, and he will solve the problem. OK?"
Feb. 26, remarks at a business roundtable in New Delhi, India:
“China is working very, very hard. I have spoken to President Xi, and they’re working very hard. And if you know anything about him, I think he’ll be in pretty good shape. They’re — they’ve had a rough patch, and I think right now they have it — it looks like they’re getting it under control more and more. They’re getting it more and more under control.”
Feb. 27, Coronavirus Task Force press conference:
“I spoke with President Xi. We had a great talk. He’s working very hard, I have to say. He’s working very, very hard. And if you can count on the reports coming out of China, that spread has gone down quite a bit. The infection seems to have gone down over the last two days. As opposed to getting larger, it’s actually gotten smaller.”
Feb. 29, Coronavirus Task Force press conference:
“China seems to be making tremendous progress. Their numbers are way down. … I think our relationship with China is very good. We just did a big trade deal. We’re starting on another trade deal with China — a very big one. And we’ve been working very closely. They’ve been talking to our people, we’ve been talking to their people, having to do with the virus.”

What a fool Trump proved to be letting China lie to him like he wound up lying to the American people.
Trump's lying and incompetence caused close to 200,00 lives to be lost and that's no hoax.

When it comes to handling totalian leaders, Trump defers to thir judgement and America soon finds out that wase the wrong thing for an American President to do.
How's Trump's love letters with Kim Jong-un doing.
Hell Trump bowed down top Turkey's Erdogan and abandoned the Kurds trying to curry favor with that totalitarian leader and now Turkey is in bed with Iran .

Seems like the enablers of the might Trump can't see he more bluff and bluster than a strong leader when it comes to dealing with dictator types
I don't know how you think this cut&paste (from The Atlantic maybe?) proves your theory hatter. I mean you do remember Trump put the China travel ban on 1/31, right? So Trump is providing updates on China and trying to tamp down on any panic here as has already been reported. And don't forget if Trump lied, so did Dr Fauci.

As for NATO member Turkey, peace on the Korean peninsula, Trump's Mideast Peace deals, new trade deals, etc, it's probably more useful for you to start separate threads on each for more complete discussions instead of leaving your CNN summaries all randomly jumbled together in that post. You can also start threads on how O'Biden-Bama let Putin annex Crimea, ISIS slaughter tens of thousands in the Middle East or China cheat and steal on trade with the U.S. Hope this helps!

In any event Hatter, I know you're a lib but a good guy--we actually go way back to battling UConn ding dongs on one of the Carino or Zags Hoops boards (maybe both?). You're a great RU fan. Let's try and keep it that way.✌

Augh. The politics aspects of everything is so annoying. One comment and one question for everyone.

Comment. Spoke with a Chinese woman I work with this week (She's American by most standard but family still in China). This was not a surprise whatsoever. She loaded up on masks, sanitizer, etc. very shortly after our calendar new year. There is zero chance she can know / do this and our government isn't aware from intelligence. That is Trump but also Fauci. So stoptrying to split the difference there.

Question. I could give two shits about blaming anyone. That can come later. What do all the prominent posters on this topic propose we do next? Waiting for a vaccine is NOT an answer. Asking you @RU848789 @Knight Shift @bac2therac and others

There are three main tools for slowing/stopping transmissions (which is the only real way to reduce deaths): lockdowns, distancing/masks, and aggressive testing/tracing/isolating (especially early in an outbreak before it gets out of control). Every country that has done very well with deaths per capita has executed on one or more of these interventions much better than countries like the US and many in Europe/S. America and several countries have shown that harsh lockdowns are not required if the other tools are used very well.

I've detailed all this in many other posts, so I'm not inclined to regurgitate all that here, but hopefully this gets the main point across. If I were in charge, we would have had aggressive testing/tracing/isolating in place in mid/late February, preventing most of the initial outbreak and obviating the need for harsh lockdowns and we would have put universal masking in place in early March to augment distancing and further reduce transmissions. When case rates are low, it's far easier for testing to stay ahead of flare-ups and for tracing/isolating to keep flare-ups from becoming major outbreaks.

Given where we are now, with very high rates (vs. countries doing well) universal masking is our best bet, IMO, although if we can scale up antigen testing to do that rapidly and frequently for all high exposure activities/situations (like for sports), then that could also be effective in greatly reducing transmissions - as long as we also did better with isolating all positives and contacts of positives. Either of these, if done really well, eliminates the need for lockdowns (which doesn't mean we don't still have restrictions on large indoor gatherings without masks).

LOL . Let's resurrect the Political Board! You guys and your Dear Leader sure love nicknames. How about these..........Disastrous Donald...........Demonic Donnie.........Donnie Dangerous...............Donnie Dumbkopf....................D_ _kHead Don...............Down to Defeat Donald..............Treasonous Trump...............TimeOver Trump?
See any that ring a bell?

They prefer Dear Leader, Cult leader, or simply My Lord.

Reactions: GSGS and goru1869
They prefer Dear Leader, Cult leader, or simply My Lord.
Yes , yes we do ! He is the supreme leader of the universe , will be reelected and pass the torch onto Donald Trump Jr. who will pass it onto Eric and then Ivanka will be the first female president ( sorry hilly and kamala ....not ! ) after that Baron will be old enough and he will keep the torch of freedom lit. That is right be afraid, be VERY afraid. LONG LIVE THE TRUMPS !

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Don't forget Trump proved COVID-19 to be a hoax and made America safe from it.
His enablers don't care about the death count, rationalizing : all would have died eventualy if not sooner.

COVID is only 15 people and going down. Or it went away in April after the pews were packed for Easter. Or with the heat. Or disinfectant. Or UV rays. And it's the flu.

Reactions: GSGS and Greg2020
COVID is only 15 people and going down. Or it went away in April after the pews were packed for Easter. Or with the heat. Or disinfectant. Or UV rays. And it's the flu.
So you are happy people could not practice their religion in a church while protesters including your God, murphy could walk shoulder to shoulder at a " peaceful protest ' ignoring his own EO. Or when he was caught eating at a restaurant while claiming "I didn't know people were eating inside" . The fearmongering has gripped you. It is in control of your life . Be afraid of the big, bad virus, BE VERY AFRAID ! Now go back under your bed , the floor is getting chilly.

Reactions: bac2therac
So you are happy people could not practice their religion in a church while protesters including your God, murphy could walk shoulder to shoulder at a " peaceful protest ' ignoring his own EO. Or when he was caught eating at a restaurant while claiming "I didn't know people were eating inside" . The fearmongering has gripped you. It is in control of your life . Be afraid of the big, bad virus, BE VERY AFRAID ! Now go back under your bed , the floor is getting chilly.

First, the only group who worship some politician as godlike are those on the right.

Second, this hide under the bed nonsense is so overplayed. Maybe you are just cranky today. Not able to score a hit of Lysol?

I don't think that bar owner has a very sustainable business model. I expect many of his customers will be visiting Herman Cain soon.

Rooting against a FL country boy bar owner who just snookered msm into giving him free publicity for his business is probably pretty revolting for you, since you seem to root for the death of his customers.

When is the last time you wore a mask in a bar?

When are you guys going to stop with this reporting nonsense? Who do you think you're impressing or intimidating?

I'll answer........no one.
LOL. Just following the rules Comrade7. That was a nasty political post mocking a black man who died of Covid. You being ok with it speaks volumes. Sad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
That's what happens when there's no Federal plan because it isn't good politics.
NY ignored their own infection models and pandemic playbook. Seattle and SanFran followed theirs. It's all in today's "Daily Covid" Thread. Educate yourself, you CNN guys and your Groundhog Day play is getting very tedious.

Two Coasts. One Virus. How New York Suffered Nearly 10 Times the Number of Deaths as California.
By March 14, London Breed, the mayor of San Francisco, had seen enough. For weeks, she and her health officials had looked at data showing the evolving threat of COVID-19. In response, she’d issued a series of orders limiting the size of public gatherings, each one feeling more arbitrary than the last. She’d been persuaded that her city’s considerable and highly regarded health care system might be insufficient for the looming onslaught of infection and death.

“We need to shut this shit down,” Breed remembered thinking.

Three days later in New York, Mayor Bill de Blasio was thinking much the same thing. He’d been publicly savaged for days for not closing the city’s school system, and even his own Health Department was in revolt at his inaction. And so, having at last been convinced every hour of delay was a potentially deadly misstep, de Blasio said it was time to consider a shelter-in-place order. Under it, he said, it might be that only emergency workers such as police officers and health care providers would be allowed free movement.

“I think it’s gotten to a place,” de Blasio said at a news conference, “where the decision has to be made very soon.”

In an interview, California Health and Human Services Secretary Dr. Mark Ghaly said it was critical to allow Northern California counties to rely on their own experts, act with a degree of autonomy and thus perhaps pave the way for the state to expand on what they had done. And three days after San Francisco and its neighboring counties were closed, Newsom, on March 19, imposed the same restrictions on the rest of California.

Breed, it turns out, had sent de Blasio a copy of her detailed shelter-in-place order. She thought New York might benefit from it.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, however, reacted to de Blasio’s idea for closing down New York City with derision. It was dangerous, he said, and served only to scare people. Language mattered, Cuomo said, and “shelter-in-place” sounded like it was a response to a nuclear apocalypse.

Moreover, Cuomo said, he alone had the power to order such a measure.

For years, Cuomo and de Blasio, each of whom has harbored national political ambitions, had engaged in a kind of intrastate cold war, a rivalry that to many often felt childish and counterproductive. When de Blasio finally decided to close the city’s schools, it was Cuomo who rushed to make the public announcement, claiming it as his decision.

“No city in the state can quarantine itself without state approval,” Cuomo said of de Blasio’s call for a shelter-in-place order. “I have no plan whatsoever to quarantine any city.”

But the timing of New York’s shutdown undeniably played a role in the dire human toll the virus has exacted. In April, two prominent experts said in a New York Times opinion article that their research showed that had New York imposed its extreme social distancing measures a week or two earlier, the death toll might have been cut by half or more.

It’s an assessment shared by Dr. Tom Frieden, the former head of New York City’s Health Department. “Days earlier & so many deaths could have been prevented,” Frieden tweeted in April.

But a range of health officials and scientists interviewed by ProPublica say creating such timelines misses the central issue: No later than Feb. 28, federal officials warned the country that a deadly pandemic was inevitable. It is from that point forward, they say, that any individual state’s actions should be judged.
There was certainly one model that proved prescient, and it had been made public by late February.

Marc Lipsitch, a Harvard professor of epidemiology and the director of the Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics, created one of the first modeling tools used in the U.S. for the COVID-19 pandemic. The model was available to both city and state officials in New York in February, a full week before the first confirmed New York case. The state said the Lipsitch model was not one they looked at for guidance. The city did make use of it, and concluded that just a couple of dozen sick people in New York could ultimately produce more than 100,000 cases by the middle of April, which is quite close to what happened.

Seattle’s Leaders Let Scientists Take the Lead. New York’s Did Not

More damning facts from that NewYorker article:

By early March, the city’s Department of Health had sent the Mayor numerous proposals on fighting the virus’s spread. Since there weren’t enough diagnostic kits to conduct extensive testing, public-health officials proposed “sentinel surveillance”: asking local hospitals to provide the Department of Health with swabs collected from people who had flulike symptoms and had tested negative for influenza. By testing a selection of those swabs, the department could estimate how rapidly and widely the coronavirus was moving through the city. In previous outbreaks, such studies had been tremendously useful in guiding governmental responses—and this spring Los Angeles effectively deployed the strategy, as did Santa Clara County, in California, and the state of Hawaii.

Last edited:

CDC, Homeland Security, Etc are under the Executive Branch, not the senate or house. It was the White House's responsibility but someone was too busy playing golf, holding rallies, and lying to the public (as usual) to do his job.

Maybe he was listening too intently to the Alien Sperm Voodoo doctor or the My Pillow guy.

Reactions: Greg2020
NY ignored their own infection models and pandemic playbook. Seattle and SanFran followed theirs. It's all in today's "Daily Covid" Thread. Educate yourself, you CNN guys and your Groundhog Day play is getting very tedious.

Two Coasts. One Virus. How New York Suffered Nearly 10 Times the Number of Deaths as California.
By March 14, London Breed, the mayor of San Francisco, had seen enough. For weeks, she and her health officials had looked at data showing the evolving threat of COVID-19. In response, she’d issued a series of orders limiting the size of public gatherings, each one feeling more arbitrary than the last. She’d been persuaded that her city’s considerable and highly regarded health care system might be insufficient for the looming onslaught of infection and death.

“We need to shut this shit down,” Breed remembered thinking.

Three days later in New York, Mayor Bill de Blasio was thinking much the same thing. He’d been publicly savaged for days for not closing the city’s school system, and even his own Health Department was in revolt at his inaction. And so, having at last been convinced every hour of delay was a potentially deadly misstep, de Blasio said it was time to consider a shelter-in-place order. Under it, he said, it might be that only emergency workers such as police officers and health care providers would be allowed free movement.

“I think it’s gotten to a place,” de Blasio said at a news conference, “where the decision has to be made very soon.”

In an interview, California Health and Human Services Secretary Dr. Mark Ghaly said it was critical to allow Northern California counties to rely on their own experts, act with a degree of autonomy and thus perhaps pave the way for the state to expand on what they had done. And three days after San Francisco and its neighboring counties were closed, Newsom, on March 19, imposed the same restrictions on the rest of California.

Breed, it turns out, had sent de Blasio a copy of her detailed shelter-in-place order. She thought New York might benefit from it.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, however, reacted to de Blasio’s idea for closing down New York City with derision. It was dangerous, he said, and served only to scare people. Language mattered, Cuomo said, and “shelter-in-place” sounded like it was a response to a nuclear apocalypse.

Moreover, Cuomo said, he alone had the power to order such a measure.

For years, Cuomo and de Blasio, each of whom has harbored national political ambitions, had engaged in a kind of intrastate cold war, a rivalry that to many often felt childish and counterproductive. When de Blasio finally decided to close the city’s schools, it was Cuomo who rushed to make the public announcement, claiming it as his decision.

“No city in the state can quarantine itself without state approval,” Cuomo said of de Blasio’s call for a shelter-in-place order. “I have no plan whatsoever to quarantine any city.”

But the timing of New York’s shutdown undeniably played a role in the dire human toll the virus has exacted. In April, two prominent experts said in a New York Times opinion article that their research showed that had New York imposed its extreme social distancing measures a week or two earlier, the death toll might have been cut by half or more.

It’s an assessment shared by Dr. Tom Frieden, the former head of New York City’s Health Department. “Days earlier & so many deaths could have been prevented,” Frieden tweeted in April.

But a range of health officials and scientists interviewed by ProPublica say creating such timelines misses the central issue: No later than Feb. 28, federal officials warned the country that a deadly pandemic was inevitable. It is from that point forward, they say, that any individual state’s actions should be judged.
There was certainly one model that proved prescient, and it had been made public by late February.

Marc Lipsitch, a Harvard professor of epidemiology and the director of the Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics, created one of the first modeling tools used in the U.S. for the COVID-19 pandemic. The model was available to both city and state officials in New York in February, a full week before the first confirmed New York case. The state said the Lipsitch model was not one they looked at for guidance. The city did make use of it, and concluded that just a couple of dozen sick people in New York could ultimately produce more than 100,000 cases by the middle of April, which is quite close to what happened.

Seattle’s Leaders Let Scientists Take the Lead. New York’s Did Not

More damning facts from that NewYorker article:

By early March, the city’s Department of Health had sent the Mayor numerous proposals on fighting the virus’s spread. Since there weren’t enough diagnostic kits to conduct extensive testing, public-health officials proposed “sentinel surveillance”: asking local hospitals to provide the Department of Health with swabs collected from people who had flulike symptoms and had tested negative for influenza. By testing a selection of those swabs, the department could estimate how rapidly and widely the coronavirus was moving through the city. In previous outbreaks, such studies had been tremendously useful in guiding governmental responses—and this spring Los Angeles effectively deployed the strategy, as did Santa Clara County, in California, and the state of Hawaii.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT