ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Golf in Pinehurst

RU85inFla

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2003
Looking for info. I have the opportunity to go to Pinehurst in September with a group of 20. I know half the guys real well. Playing 2, 4, 6 & 8 as well as Tobacco Road on the drive up from Florida. Staying at one of the Inns but don't know which one.

Looking for any recommendations. Dinner, bars, etc. looking for recommendations as to which courses we consider playing 27 or 36. (Obviously number 2).

Any help would be appreciated.

See http://www.homeofgolf.com/

Recommend the PCI (Pine Crest Inn) in the village for drinks and dinner.

Check out the Southern Pines Golf Club, a Donald Ross course that's often overlooked.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Dugan's Pub and Magnolia Inn are great spots for dinner/drinks in the Village. If you aren't staying at the Pinecrest Inn, I would still recommend going to have a drink or two there after a round. Hickory Tavern is a great sports bar if you are looking for a place to watch a bunch of football games on a Saturday/Sunday although it isn't in the village.

I second the recommendation about the Southern Pines Golf Club. It doesn't look like anything great pulling in to the place but it is a really nice Donald Ross course.

Also, Legacy is another nice course in Pinehurst.

Also, if you are in to breweries the Southern Pines Brewing Company is a pretty cool place to visit. It's small but their beer is pretty good.

A couple of other courses if you have time...Mid Pines and Pine Needles are great too. Mid Pines went through a restoration in I believe 2013 and they did an amazing job. Agree on Southern Pines (I could be wrong, but i think Southern Pines is a muni). Wish there was a Donald Ross muni where i live. Mid Pines was my personal favorite, but I could play Southern Pines every day.

One more, its off the beaten path a little bit. The Dormie Club is a really great golf course. It's a Coore-Crenshaw design. I am just not 100% sure if its private or not. It started out private then went semi. Not sure where it stands now, but woth checking out. I think Dormie is less popular because its a little bit out of the way.

HAve a good time.

For breakfast, go to the racetrack restaurant. Some good breakfast food and you can watch the ponies trotting.

Do yourself a favor, drop one of the Pinehurst Resort courses, Number 1 isn't that special, and go play Pine Needles. It's my favorite course in Pinehurst and I have played #2 a few times. Don't forget to order Long Island Iced teas from the bar, very good.

Tobacco Road is an interesting choice. It seems people either love or hate it, no in between. I thought it was great and have played it 3 times. My father played it and he and his group thought it was quirky. Will be interesting to see what you think.

Obviously #2 is a must play. But I enjoyed many of the ones there. As some pointed out, some of the older ones on site, like #1 are OK, nice, nothing great.

Pinehurst is a great little town. If you are looking for some ambiance, etc. getting a drink or two on the deck of the Carolina is great.

I liked Tobacco Road, but it is so different from the others, it is not even in same context. It is more target oriented and might be considered gimmicky, not unlike the former "The Pit" in Aberdeen due south of the main resort off Rt. 5. I know Pinehurst had property bordering the Pit for a new #9 but chose to hold back during financial crisis a few years ago.

If it is available, you might consider the brand new/revamped #9. It is the former Pinehurst National (then National Golf Club), a Jack Nicklaus design. I always liked playing it when it was not part of the resort rotation. I think Pinehurst is renovating it and modernizing it. It right across the street from #7, so in same basic neighborhood as the main resort, whereas Tobacco Road and a few others (like Legacy) are a few miles way. All the even number courses are good and different enough to keep you interested.

In town, the Pine Crest Inn is a well known Donald Ross haunt, but try the Holly Inn, now part of the resort too. It has great food and drinks. As you are likely aware, the Village of Pinehurst is nothing like Myrtle Beach or other southern golf destinations for night life. Some of the other places mentioned are fine too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT