ADVERTISEMENT

OT -Golf in the Olympics

knightfan7

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2003
Manasquan, NJ
The women finished up an hour ago with the 3 medals going to the usual suspects. Pretty much the same thing happened with the men. I felt bad for the USA's Pillar who was devastated by her poor finish.

I thought it was a great 8 days and really showed golf at it's best. Apparently the ratings were very good. I now have no doubt it belongs in the games. Thoughts?

Enjoyed watching Park lap the field - when she's healthy and on, she's hard to beat. Was happy to see Ko win silver, also - #1 at 19 is pretty impressive. Pillar simply couldn't putt to save her life.

And Rose's win over Stenson, by two strokes after being tied on the 18th tee, with Rose making birdie and Stenson bogeying, was a thrilling finish. Yeah, I enjoyed it.

Enjoyed watching Park lap the field - when she's healthy and on, she's hard to beat. Was happy to see Ko win silver, also - #1 at 19 is pretty impressive. Pillar simply couldn't putt to save her life.

And Rose's win over Stenson, by two strokes after being tied on the 18th tee, with Rose making birdie and Stenson bogeying, was a thrilling finish. Yeah, I enjoyed it.

Did you catch the Russian golfer set the course record today with a 62? Had the 3rd hole in one in the women's tournament too. Funny but being so far behind and having few people watching at the green, she didn't know it had gone in till someone told her.

Would much, much rather see team/match play at The Olympics. Too many other sports to watch then individual-play golf to peak my interest.

Would much, much rather see team/match play at The Olympics. Too many other sports to watch then individual-play golf to peak my interest.

I agree but the problem is many countries can't field a 3-4 person team that could compete. I think what we saw was a compromise.

To get more than 2 representatives I believe they had to be above a certain number in the world rankings. That's why the US had 4 men and 3 women. Matt Kuchar who won the bronze only qualified because he birdied #18 at a tournament a few weeks earlier. The finish at that tournament moved him up one spot and into the Olympics. With Spieth and Johnson dropping out it looked like the US would only have 3 for a while.

Like this idea a lot. take top 3 or 4 players players from each country in team event. Obviously USA will have advantage but it will be close and fun.

Overall I'm disappointed with the men's tourney. The fact the top 4 world players skipped it was slap in the face to the golf world that long wanted this tourney and was much needed for the sport in a time the game is on a big decline from average joes.
It also de-legitmalized it and put the future of golf at olympics in doubt. If your a jordan spieth or Jason day you owe it to the sport to play in this especially it being first time in 100 yrs.
These guys all fly private. Even if they didn't want to be there they could have flown in late Tuesday. Practice round Wednesday and leave Sunday night. They could have rented a top mansion near course ect.
Only one I understand skipping is DJ as he probably didn't want tougher drug testing.

Park is a great talent but has no personality. Doesn't connect with fans, fellow golfers, etc. Her no energy hand wave to the fans after she completes a hole is worse than doing nothing. LPGA needs players like Lydia Ko, Pillar and Henderson to contend for championships week in and week out.

The problem is match play only works Mano a mano or in fourball (2 man team match). Half the guys get eliminated round 1 and the field gets small quick. The world match play is not a fan favorite. For a team event it would need to be stroke play like the NCAA's but the US would have a huge advantage. That's why we don't play the Ryder Cup against only great Britian any more.

I guess the current format is fine as is.

Asia in general and Korea in particular are the center of women's golf these days. US team was ok but none have been playing all that well recently. Pillar has never won a tournament, Lewis has been struggling for a while now, and Thompson at 21 has the yips so bad it's sad to watch. The names like Kerr and Creamer are playing poorly and Wie has screwed up her game and head to the point she may never come back.

I watched the women's NCAA championships. It seemed at least half were from outside the US.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT