ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Guide for buying your S.O. jewelry

PhilaPhans

Best Poster Ever!
Apr 23, 2005
Gibbstown, NJ
Like many of you, I'm ignorant when it comes to buying jewelry. I don't know what a good price is for something (because the jewelry market is generally a scam with its pricing and stuff). I don't know where to go. That being said, I know I'm getting my girlfriend some jewelry for Christmas.

So what are your DO's and DON'Ts for buying jewelry?

Things like ...

* Figure out what she likes somehow because chances are she's very picky about her jewelry.

* Stay away from sterling silver because it's usually cheap and may turn green.

* Never shop at _______________.

Things like that. And ... go.

Vael Designs in Mercer County is owned by a big Rutgers fan. In addition to regular jewelry,they have a lot of Rutgers designs. Their website is vaeldesigns.com.

Like the idea of starting a collection - therefore if she likes the style it becomes easy to add on in future. Check out David Yurman - nice with lots to choose from and not crazy $$$.

Reactions: MrsScrew
Honest question. I need a 14k gold necklace (just a chain to hold a pendant I have).

What's the difference between a 14k chain from Macy's, Belk, or Kohl's vs a jeweler? Should I just go to a department store with a coupon and save some $$$?

One of the things I've learned so far is that Signet Jewelers owns and operates the companies Zales, Kay Jewelers, and Jared.

threaddelivers.jpg

Pearls are good. American pearl on fifth avenue is who i go to. They are upstairs in an older office building. They have a website too. They have good prices and the wife loved them.

Fine jewelry for your s/o is a must. Timeless, holds value, and can be passed down.

to answer the original intent of the question

1.) match the style of the jewelry to her persona and what she typical wears. Stylish dresser....stylish jewelry. Simple fashion taste...keep it simple.

2.) however....unless she is young and VERY HIP/CHIC....stay away from the VERY gaudy and the ridic bold

3.) If she has a favorite type of metal....match it. Example...if she has a rose gold necklass she loves, get rose gold earings. But don't start giving Platinum if she wears yellow gold, unless you want her get her earinngs, watch, necklass, braclet across the board for years to come.

4.) Do not be afraid to purchase White Gold instead of Platinum.

5.) DO NOT buy ANY diamond jewelry ever from a retail store. Go to 47th street in NYC or Jewelers Row...and always request to have a GIA certified expert to rate any stone you buy and have a second person re-rate it if it a significant purchase

6.) You can get some basic simple jewelry in department stores like Macys and NOT get ripped off but you really need to wait for sales. And compare to other places. Like jewelry should be priced close from store, no matter if its on sale or not. Remember, if the jewelry doesn't move, they will take it and melt it down for the metal value, especially if the prices are good on the metal

7.) last, if you go to a higher end place, let's say, like Hamilton Jewelers, you will pay more...but they will stand behind it and have people there to help you with styles to match. Especially if you are willing to show the sales associate pictures of them and how the typically dress

Hope this helps some....

Reactions: RUforester72
DO's - Tell your wife or girl friend you are now "out of the jewelry business"

DON'Ts - Don't ever by her jewelry

It's the gift that keeps on giving every year

Reactions: rcube1994
What’s her birthstone?

Does she have blue eyes? Something in a sapphire is nice.

Same thing if she has green eyes. Emeralds.

Wife has blue eyes and was born in November. Do the math.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Nice stuff. Does he sell in NJ or does he ship?
I think he would ship ill ask. If not ill find out if any jewlers in the area carry them. What county are you located in?

Only buy jewelry for milestones and make darn sure you'll be able to top that effort at the next milestone.

You're welcome.

I know that this is an old post, but anyway I wanted to say, you are a good boyfriend if you are so careful with the gift you will give her. You are right that often is a scam when it comes about jewelry and you did well by asking for help here. I may help you with this. There are a lot of beautiful vermeil jewelry that she would be happy to wear, so I can suggest you this vermeil necklace. I think she will like it because the quality is good and the price is acceptable.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT