ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Looking for reputable coin dealer(s) in the Morris County area

29PAS

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2001
Sorry to resurrect this old topic but the most recent stuff I can find is from 2015 and I'm pretty sure there were some earlier threads.

A family member wants to sell a coin collection left to her. She lives in Denville. For us, it's sizable to deal with - 4 banker boxes+ of a mixed bag of stuff collected mostly in the 70's and 80's - proof sets, uncirculateds, those blue Whitman books, rolls of higher content silver coins, individually bought coins bought from dealers, commemoratives, a significant number of foreign coins, etc. We're going to do a fairly detailed inventory but won't be recording every coin.

I know dealers in Ridgewood and Red Bank were mentioned in those earlier threads. We're looking for someone closer but would go that far if necessary. Anyone know of any reputable ones in and around Morris County? Thanks.

I know this is not what you asked for but I think that Trenton Stamp & Coin in Hamilton are reputable. I have sold 2 collections for friends there.

Reactions: 29PAS
Probably better to sell piecemeal instead of all at once
I get stuff off ebay no problems
Good dealers on there

Sorry to resurrect this old topic but the most recent stuff I can find is from 2015 and I'm pretty sure there were some earlier threads.

A family member wants to sell a coin collection left to her. She lives in Denville. For us, it's sizable to deal with - 4 banker boxes+ of a mixed bag of stuff collected mostly in the 70's and 80's - proof sets, uncirculateds, those blue Whitman books, rolls of higher content silver coins, individually bought coins bought from dealers, commemoratives, a significant number of foreign coins, etc. We're going to do a fairly detailed inventory but won't be recording every coin.

I know dealers in Ridgewood and Red Bank were mentioned in those earlier threads. We're looking for someone closer but would go that far if necessary. Anyone know of any reputable ones in and around Morris County? Thanks.
When my grandmother died (Lake Arrowhead in Denville) she lived in that same house since the 1940s. She had all kinds of coins and jewelry and we sold a lot of it to this guy in Boonton below

Be very careful with who you deal with, you'll run into people who will want to low ball you on the price for the entire collection. Obviously you can't spend the time to look at each coin, figure out its coin grade, etc., etc., but you can look online where coins are sold to get an idea for certain coins (Mercury dimes, buffalo nickels, wheat ear pennies, etc.) what the price ranges are. You can also look to see if specific high value coins are in the collection, for example, in pennies the 1909 SVDB is an incredibly rare coin.

When my grandmother died (Lake Arrowhead in Denville) she lived in that same house since the 1940s. She had all kinds of coins and jewelry and we sold a lot of it to this guy in Boonton below

Thanks and it's interesting you mentioned the Boonton business. He came out to look at everything and made an offer but it was clear he was more into the jewelry business and was interested only in the melt value of everything. This was a young guy who I think took the business over from his father. How long ago did you deal with them if you don't mind me asking.

Probably better to sell piecemeal instead of all at once
I get stuff off ebay no problems
Good dealers on there
I've looked on ebay and it was kind of overwhelming. I got the impression stuff lingered unsold on there for years.

Thanks and it's interesting you mentioned the Boonton business. He came out to look at everything and made an offer but it was clear he was more into the jewelry business and was interested only in the melt value of everything. This was a young guy who I think took the business over from his father. How long ago did you deal with them if you don't mind me asking.

its been more than a few years so likely thats what happened

I've looked on ebay and it was kind of overwhelming. I got the impression stuff lingered unsold on there for years.

Sure things can sit for awhile.
The rarer the coin the less the buyers.
Then you have the bullion factor.
I always like Saint-Gaudens gold coins and they are gold price sensitive.

Most eBay dealers are more reliable than Amazon
Amazon is counterfeit city.
Ebay helps pretty well with bad deals and there aren't many of those.
Good dealers aren't hard to spot - some are very big

Plus you want a buyer more than seller.
Keep in mind the better coins are PCGS rated and can reliably be ought and sold with uniform valuations.

I had friend who had an asteroid land on their property 20 years ago.
They sold it for 60K and then buyer broke it up to sell in pieces and made many more thousands.
Broke companies get acquired and then are broken into pieces for sale.
I think selling stuff in parts is better then a big dump.
Of course getting an appraisal wouldn't hurt

Reactions: 29PAS and newell138

I live in Lake Arrowhead. What Address?

• Love
Reactions: newell138
Wow! I am just a few houses away! your grandmother had an awesome house. A nice young family is there now. Pretty small world.

Yes it was a great place. So many memories there for me! They moved there when my dad was 15 from Beaumont, TX where my grandfather was a petroleum engineer for Gulf Oil and he went to Mt Lakes HS, class of 1946. We had so many summer picnics and holidays there. With about 30 cousins for 4th of July picnics I know the members used to get annoyed that we would take over all the races and games they had at the beach. As I got a little older I used to ride my bike over there and cut her grass every week and then spend the afternoon fishing. My grandmother also used to make me take the rowboat out to the island to dig up tubs of peat moss for her gardens. When i was very little we used to go "frogging" there with my dad and grandfather. Take the rowboat out at night and look for bullfrogs with a flashlight and gig them and then eat the legs. They also used to have a "crappie tournament" to reduce the # of crappies and bluegills in the lake. They would have garbage cans full of crappies or sunnies filled by the end of the day. I could go on, but lots of good times for sure.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Yes it was a great place. So many memories there for me! They moved there when my dad was 15 from Beaumont, TX where my grandfather was a petroleum engineer for Gulf Oil and he went to Mt Lakes HS, class of 1946. We had so many summer picnics and holidays there. With about 30 cousins for 4th of July picnics I know the members used to get annoyed that we would take over all the races and games they had at the beach. As I got a little older I used to ride my bike over there and cut her grass every week and then spend the afternoon fishing. My grandmother also used to make me take the rowboat out to the island to dig up tubs of peat moss for her gardens. When i was very little we used to go "frogging" there with my dad and grandfather. Take the rowboat out at night and look for bullfrogs with a flashlight and gig them and then eat the legs. They also used to have a "crappie tournament" to reduce the # of crappies and bluegills in the lake. They would have garbage cans full of crappies or sunnies filled by the end of the day. I could go on, but lots of good times for sure.
wow! Good to hear of your fun experiences at lake arrowhead. It’s still a great place for kids to grow up. Your grandmas house is in good hands with the young family that lives there now. They take good care of the house and property.

• Love
wow! Good to hear of your fun experiences at lake arrowhead. It’s still a great place for kids to grow up. Your grandmas house is in good hands with the young family that lives there now. They take good care of the house and property.

as much as its been my dream to live at the beach, i do miss that lake life. So many cool little neighborhoods in that part of NJ where life is centered around the lake and as you know its a great place to raise a family.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
This doesn't answer your question but thought the following might help you:

Thanks Source. Both links were very helpful and I may give Coinfully a try even though I'm a little suspicious of their almost unanimous 5 star reviews!

Last edited:
Coins? If I had a nickel for every time this comes up. I couldn't give a dime.

At least that's my two cents.

I collect coins and old currency and I'm constantly going to coin shows. I'm located in South Jersey and mainly deal with guys down here, but one guy up north I deal with is Robert Kotcher robert_kotcher@hotmail.com who's in Saddle Brook. He's always been honest with me.

It sounds like a big collection and there are probably a lot of complete sets. If that's the case, there's always at least one key date that will go for a lot more than others in the set. For instance, I have one coin left to get in a Walking Liberty Half Dollar set. Most of them cost $30-$50, but the 1921-D fine will probably cost me $500.

If you want to get the most value, take your time and go through them. You can pick up the 2023 Red Book of US Coins for only $15. This gives the retail values, so expect to sell to a dealer at a little less. Be careful though, you might find it interesting and start collecting yourself.

Reactions: 29PAS and newell138

I'm in the biz, but specialize in rarities. For mixed bags, I recommend Coin Superstore in Nutley. Chris Berinato is nationally respected. I told him someone from a Rutgers message board might call.

You can also reach out to Sal Germano (Jr or Sr), who are based in Hawthorne. Great guys.

A bunch of reputable local guys regularly attend the monthly Parsippany show. I believe it's the first Sunday of every month. I haven't been in years; I travel a lot and prefer to be with the wife & kids on Sundays.

I don't do business with RAAB (mentioned above), but they've been around a while. I've never heard of the others.

Reactions: 29PAS
as much as its been my dream to live at the beach, i do miss that lake life. So many cool little neighborhoods in that part of NJ where life is centered around the lake and as you know its a great place to raise a family.
I'm with you. I love the beach and am still water rat when I get there.

Newell138 Found this shot Taken from the beach of the Lake Arrowhead Clubhouse with your Grandmothers house in the background!

50376542_9lTdCqAgSC32XtuWupDzvQK5vEJynDit19gjsHFKlA8.jpg

• Love
Thanks for all the coin responses. I even enjoyed the Indian Lake/Lake Arrowhead discussion because it's so Denville related.

Just in case anybody cares, we started to do the inventory yesterday. Too bad we found two more boxes of coins so now I'm guessing there are around a thousand coins in total and it could be a lot more than that. We're thinking the plan will be to sort out all the "spenders" first, of which there are a significant number, and see how much is left. Then we'll get that more manageable quantity appraised.

Source linked a company called "Coinfully" who say they will come to you to do an appraisal, an attractive option. The Trustpilot reviews are all 5 and 4 stars, which makes me a little suspicious. Has anybody dealt with them or know someone who has? I have a friend checking Facebook as I'm not on it. Otherwise we'll go to places people have mentioned even outside of Morris County.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT