ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Major Nor'easter for our region Thursday into Friday (12/16/22) - looks mostly wet for most of us

Ocean is wild today.

Went down to the South End Pavilion after dropping off my recycling to check it out.

Super rough and big, big waves. Churning style. Like a huge washing machine.

Looks like the snow has and will overperform for the NW areas, as per most of the models. Reports of 1-2" in the Lehigh Valley, Warren, most of Morris, NW Passaic, N Bergen and parts of the Hudson Valley and in most of these locations the snow/sleet have changed to rain or will shortly. Most of NW Warren, Sussex County, the Poconos (Carbon/Monroe) and the Hudson Valley well west of 87 are where it's been all snow with 2-5" in most places.

Another 1-2" likely is for most of Sussex and NW Warren before becoming all rain after midnight or so, and the Poconos might get another 3-6" with some of the higher elevations never changing to rain. The Catskills and the ski resorts in interior New England are on tap to get 10-20" of snow, which is great for them.

Lots of rain for everyone else with 1-2" falling overall for most. The wind advisory is still in place for gusts to 45 mph near and along the coast, while a coastal flood advisory was posted for the NJ coast for, at most, minor tidal flooding in the usual most vulnerable locations.
Snowfall in our region and a bit north of here through 7 am. The snow is just about over for NWNJ/Poconos and just a few inches more for the Catskills, but plenty more snow to come for the Adirondacks/upstate NY, VT, NH, ME and NW Mass, which should generally get 10-20" overall. The ski resorts really needed this and we'll have great snowmaking weather for the next few weeks, plus more chances of natural snow. And lots of rain everywhere else - we got about 1.5" with a bit more possible in showers through early afternoon.

129043792_ScreenShot2022-12-16at9_07_21AM.png.8b9ff02162b0a7d549f45bda67959ce0.png

From what I read today there was a lot of meltdown on the weather boards. Last few runs show rain. Still early so that can change though.

Yup looking like mostly rain for I95 corridor. Can certainly change as storm is very complex

Huh? You got all rain and were forecast to get all rain, so not sure what your point is...

Have you seen the football threads?
You think you'll get that level of reading comprehension in a weather thread?

My friend up by Waywayanda State Park got about 6 inches in her yard.
But sure it just a rain event.

Don't you know there is one same weather projection for the entire state.

Reactions: RU848789
Big thread for a rain storm..redux could be coming next week
Rainstorm for you, but not for many others (the threads are not just for 95/CNJ). Next week definitely looking wet vs. white. Here's the final snowfall map for those interested. Definitely overperformed for most of NWNJ and the Lehigh Valley/Poconos and huge snows for the ski resorts.

etCchrf.png

A brief lightning storm here early Tuesday morning, on the mountain top above Boone NC. So, per Poor Richard's Almanack, it'll snow a good amount within 7-10 days. Our actual forecast is calling for snow on Thursday/Friday. A White Christmas is a very good possibility. That'd be nice.

A brief lightning storm here early Tuesday morning, on the mountain top above Boone NC. So, per Poor Richard's Almanack, it'll snow a good amount within 7-10 days. Our actual forecast is calling for snow on Thursday/Friday. A White Christmas is a very good possibility. That'd be nice.
Got about a foot of snow over the course of the week (4 to 5 feet up high at ski resorts). Came in unusual waves so there are piles hanging off all pine trees in a way I don't usually see in town. Hoping it stays the week because it looks straight out of an Xmas painting.

Got about a foot of snow over the course of the week (4 to 5 feet up high at ski resorts). Came in unusual waves so there are piles hanging off all pine trees in a way I don't usually see in town. Hoping it stays the week because it looks straight out of an Xmas painting.
Sounds great. Whereabouts?

Reactions: fsg2 and RUDiddy777

You out west?

Yeah, Utah
I’ve been watching the powder ski reels on Instagram from all the folks skiing in Utah. So awesome. Hope you are getting to enjoy it as well.

We’ve been lucky with resorts open since before Thanksgiving. Most areas got 20-32” the last 2 days. With it staying cold will be our first nice mid/late December ski season on the east coast.

Reactions: RUDiddy777 and fsg2
I’ve been watching the powder ski reels on Instagram from all the folks skiing in Utah. So awesome. Hope you are getting to enjoy it as well.

We’ve been lucky with resorts open since before Thanksgiving. Most areas got 20-32” the last 2 days. With it staying cold will be our first nice mid/late December ski season on the east coast.
Half wanted to ditch the family today because they just opened up an entire area so all that snow from all season piled up and untouched. Saw it described as simply "bottomless." Son's been sick so not really cool to bail and have an awesome time on my own!

Was up yesterday, though. Beautiful sunny day with plenty of stashes.

You make it up yesterday or today? Good to see everyone getting some coast to coast.

Half wanted to ditch the family today because they just opened up an entire area so all that snow from all season piled up and untouched. Saw it described as simply "bottomless." Son's been sick so not really cool to bail and have an awesome time on my own!

Was up yesterday, though. Beautiful sunny day with plenty of stashes.

You make it up yesterday or today? Good to see everyone getting some coast to coast.
Been skiing since Friday. Great conditions and will be out there again today for first tracks and then back home by noon. Enjoy it!

Reactions: fsg2
In case anyone was wondering what 1" of ice accretion from freezing rain looks like, here you go, from WV - crippling ice storm for many in western MD/VA and eastern WV from the storm the other day.

Reactions: Postman_1
Never like to see that. What a nightmare. Remember that horrible one in Canada a while back?
That was the worst natural disaster in Canadian history (and for parts of neighboring northern NY), with 1-4" of ice accretion being common across an area the size of Florida. 35 died and people were left without power for weeks to months in frigid conditions. Fascinating documentary on the storm below.

Whats going on later this week?

Preferably 2 feet of snow starting Wednesday - put a real damper on the Xmas drive down to my in-laws in VA would be appreciated.

• Angry
Reactions: NickRU714
ADVERTISEMENT