ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hackensack to Manhattan

retired711

Heisman Winner
Nov 20, 2001
Cherry Hill
My wife and I will be cat-sitting at her sister's apartment in Hackensack. The apartment is one of the high rises on Prospect; I don't know the exact number, and I really don't know Hackensack. We are thinking of spending at least one day in Manhattan, and we do *not* want to drive in Manhattan, even on a weekend. What would be the best way or ways to go between Hackensack and Manhattan by public transit? Would we be able to find transit to go home late at night after, say, a Broadway show? Or are we stuck using the car if we want to do something in the evening? I understand there is something going to Penn Station from Hackensack,but we don't know what.

Thanks in advance for any light you folks can shed.

http://www.njtransit.com/rg/rg_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=LineDetailsTo&selLine=PASC

Looks like several stops in Hackensack.

You can do it the old fashioned way (train to Hoboken, PATH to lower NYC), or the 'new' way (train to Secaucus, transfer to train to Penn Station) New way is probably better for you.

Trans between NYC and Secaucus are very frequent. The other trains will be less so.

Quick note...once the conductor punches holes in your ticket and hands it back to you, don't lose it. You'll need it for the transfer.

PDF schedule here: https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0010.pdf

Reactions: retired711
My wife and I will be cat-sitting at her sister's apartment in Hackensack. The apartment is one of the high rises on Prospect; I don't know the exact number, and I really don't know Hackensack. We are thinking of spending at least one day in Manhattan, and we do *not* want to drive in Manhattan, even on a weekend. What would be the best way or ways to go between Hackensack and Manhattan by public transit? Would we be able to find transit to go home late at night after, say, a Broadway show? Or are we stuck using the car if we want to do something in the evening? I understand there is something going to Penn Station from Hackensack,but we don't know what.

NJ Transit Bus 162 runs the length of Prospect Ave. to NY (express only), but no weekend service. One block west of Prospect is Summit Ave, and the 163 (express & local) runs parallel. The 163 express goes the length of Summit Ave., then straight to Manhattan. The local 163 takes FOREVER. It goes through every little town in Bergen County before getting onto route 3 to go into the Manhattan.

You can catch the train at the Essex St. station or Anderson St. (same train). The train goes all the way to Hoboken (last stop), but you can transfer at Secaucus Junction for the Northeast Corridor line which will take you directly into Penn Station (NY). From Hackensack to Secaucus Junction is three stops and once on the NE Corridor train, Penn Station is the next and last stop.

http://www.njtransit.com/rg/rg_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=LineDetailsTo&selLine=PASC

Looks like several stops in Hackensack.

You can do it the old fashioned way (train to Hoboken, PATH to lower NYC), or the 'new' way (train to Secaucus, transfer to train to Penn Station) New way is probably better for you.

Trans between NYC and Secaucus are very frequent. The other trains will be less so.

Quick note...once the conductor punches holes in your ticket and hands it back to you, don't lose it. You'll need it for the transfer.

PDF schedule here: https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0010.pdf

One last thing….buy your ticket before you get on the train. Otherwise you pay more. There should be an electronic ticket machine in the station. If going to penn station, make sure to hit NYC penn station and not Newark Penn Station (:

Drive to the NY Waterway terminal @ Port Imperial. Take the midtown ferry to 39th St. Busses leave the terminal for all points throughout Manhattan. Last boat to Jersey leaves at 12:10 am Sunday - Thursday. 1:00 on Fridays and Saturdays.

PATH services on some weekends will be f u c k e d up from now through mid October. On some of those weekends there will be NO service into Manhattan to 33rd Street. Take NJ transit into Secaucus then transfer to Penn Station 34th Street.

I rode the NJ transit bus 162 every weekday for a few years but that was almost 15 years ago.

The 163 will drop you about a block away (Summit Ave one block parallel to Prospect) and runs pretty late (used to be well after midnight). You can google NJ transit bus 163 and get a schedule.

This is the easiest way to get from Prospect Ave to Times Square (no transfers, basically door to door) and back. The trip should only take about 30-45 minutes each way (depending on tunnel traffic).

My advice would be to UBER it to the city and back. Its not that expensive and you don't need to worry about what trains/buses are running and when. You can UBER it to the 178th street bus station right across the GWB and then take the A or C train downtown. Better yet, UBER it to/from your ultimate destination in the city.

If you don't have the UBER app on your smartphone get it and open up an UBER account using the app. . You can then enter your beginning/ending destinations and the day/time of pickup and it will tell you the cost in advance. UBER in my opinion is the way to go. All the other methods are just to problematic.

Last edited:
Cat sitting. Lol. Cats are evil. Skip the cat sitting and do what you want.

I'm planning to stay as far away from the cat as I can, but my wife likes it -- even though the thing has been known to bite hard enough to draw blood. Fortunately, the cat likes my wife, too -- but I'm not taking any chances on it liking me!

P.S. thanks to *everyone* for their suggestions. Being old, I had not thought of using Uber, but maybe that's best. The buses sound pretty convenient, though. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Reactions: TonyVolt
The absolute best way to get to Manhattan from Hackensack, and back late at night, is to drive to Secaucus Junction Train Station in Secaucus. Take Route 80 East to NJ Turnpike South Eastern Spur Exit 15X to Secaucus Junction, where you can park at Edison Park Fast. It will cost you around $30 to park, assuming your spending the day and coming back late at night. There are plenty of trains going into Manhattan and returning to Secaucus, until 1:30 in the morning, so you don't have to worry about schedule as much.

The Pascack Valley Line train that serves Hackensack is slow as molasses because its Diesel. I wouldn't want to take the bus if I'm coming back late at night, especially having to deal with seedy Port Authority. With the car, you don't have to worry about train or bus schedules.

I'm planning to stay as far away from the cat as I can, but my wife likes it -- even though the thing has been known to bite hard enough to draw blood. Fortunately, the cat likes my wife, too -- but I'm not taking any chances on it liking me!

P.S. thanks to *everyone* for their suggestions. Being old, I had not thought of using Uber, but maybe that's best. The buses sound pretty convenient, though. Thanks again!

Uber is an option, but its going to cost you $60 - $100 each way. Having lived in the vicinity, I've paid it. Probably best to drive to the train, as mentioned in my previous post.

The absolute best way to get to Manhattan from Hackensack, and back late at night, is to drive to Secaucus Junction Train Station in Secaucus. Take Route 80 East to NJ Turnpike South Eastern Spur Exit 15X to Secaucus Junction, where you can park at Edison Park Fast. It will cost you around $30 to park, assuming your spending the day and coming back late at night. There are plenty of trains going into Manhattan and returning to Secaucus, until 1:30 in the morning, so you don't have to worry about schedule as much.

The Pascack Valley Line train that serves Hackensack is slow as molasses because its Diesel. I wouldn't want to take the bus if I'm coming back late at night, especially having to deal with seedy Port Authority. With the car, you don't have to worry about train or bus schedules.
Agree Secaucus Transfer may be the way to go. Bergen line is diesel and kicks ass. Why does that make the Pascack Valley line slower? It’s slow due to being only one track in most places.

Uber is an option, but its going to cost you $60 - $100 each way. Having lived in the vicinity, I've paid it. Probably best to drive to the train, as mentioned in my previous post.
Al,

I just ran the numbers and for an UBER trip scheduled at 10:00 AM from 100 Prospect Ave to the 178th street bus stop on the other side of the GWB it's $39. and likely cheaper off peak. For two people that's $20/person. From there the A or C train gets them down town with no driving, tolls, or parking hassles and worrying about train schedules. Just saying.

Last edited:
Uber is chump change compared to dinner and Broadway. Only way to go especially coming back.

I read the thread title and thought it meant a certain former PSU QB was going to play for some minor league football team in Manhattan.

Al,

I just ran the numbers and for an UBER trip scheduled at 10:00 AM from 100 Prospect Ave to the 178th street bus stop on the other side of the GWB it's $39. and likely cheaper off peak. For two people that's $20/person. From there the A or C train gets them down town with no driving, tolls, or parking hassles and worrying about train schedules. Just saying.

Much faster to drive to Secaucus Junction, park, and take the train.
Al,

Waiting at GWB late at night for an Uber is not a good idea, because they'll stick out, not to mention all the riff raft you'll encounter on the AC. I avoid the AC like the plague because those trains are old and disgusting. Plus Uber's aren't exactly plentiful in that area late at night. If you're gonna use GWB, you might as well just use the bus, because there's not much of a time penalty.

Route 80 cuts through Hackensack, so they can get to Secaucus Junction, fairly quickly, especially if they travel on the weekend.

This solution involves:

$6 for toll
$30 to park. Free valet parking
$17 for train

It properly balances time, safety, convenience, and cost, especially if you're returning late at night. Having traveled to midtown a lot from Bergen County and returned late at night to Bergen County, Im certain this is the optimal way to go.

Now the most optimal way which I'll mention, even though OP mentioned he didn't want to drive in New York, is to drive in via Lincoln Tunnel, and Park on 43rd street between 11Ave and the Westside Highway. Parking is free there on Saturday and Sunday, are no meters. Needless to say, you have to arrive early. A little more than a block of driving. Now if you can't find parking there, you can park at Edison Park Fast on 44th street between 8th and 9th avenue. A couple blocks driving in NYC isn't going to hurt.

Yet another solution came into my mind if OP is traveling on weekdays. He can drive to the Vince Lombardi Park and Ride on the NJ Turnpike. It's $9 to park for the day and includes a round trip bus ticket. It's another 3.25 for another bus ticket. Probably the best deal in nj. Bus goes to Port Authority. Last bus leaves at 11:30 pm. If you miss the last bus, you can uber back to the park and ride. Or take the train to Secaucus junction and uber from Secaucus junction to the park and ride.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT