ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hambletonian 2024

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Time for annual thread

anyone heading to the Big M. Weather will by typically hot and humid but unfortunately a good chance of showers late. Hambo is the 12th race going off at 4:45PM so hopefully they can get that in. Its will broadcast like on Fox Channel 5 as part of their Saturday horse racing coverage call it an appetizer for the Whitney Stakes which will take place an hour later.

Big hype this year is the rubber match between Karl and TCI. Both were incredible at 2 with the latter TCI setting a record for most money ever won by a 2 Yo trotterwith $1.23 million while Karl took home divisional honors including a decisive win over TCI in the Breeders Crown. Karl suffered a loss at the Red Mile by just a whisker to TCI a month earlier. Karl has won 14 of 16 lifetime and never out of the money. TCI has won 14 of 18, only out of the money once which was this year when he broke before the start and finished 4th. This year both have been handled with care to avoid a matchup but both horses stunningly have suffered losses. Both two weeks ago in stakes actions at the Meadowlands, yet both bounced back and were impressive in the Hambo elims last Saturday. Karl will leave from tricky post 1 while TCI drew the 4. Sig Sauer drew post 8 and ran down Karl 2 weeks ago and could see a nice price. Highland Kismet also has a shot to upset the applecart. Based on sheer ability and what he has done this year, Karl has to get the nod now and will go off as prohibitive favorite. TCI is certainly capable of jumping up and winning this with Dave Miller in the bike but Karl at his best may be at another level.

453475997_18450043999010316_7544467114684866658_n.jpg

. As usual big undercard with the Oaks going off at 6PM with the likely favorite the beautiful and rare chestnut Elista Hanover who has won 10 in a row. Got big races for the aged pacers both male and female, ditto on the aged trot side. Cane Pace featuring Meadowlands Pace winner Legendary Hanover and its compatriot race the Shady Daisy for 3 year old fillies.

and of course as always here is SCARLET KNIGHT winning the 2001 Hambletonian

Last edited:
Reactions: MADHAT1
My buddy & his Wife are part owners of Karl, they also own the legendary trotting mare Manchego. GO KARL!!!

My buddy & his Wife are part owners of Karl, they also own the legendary trotting mare Manchego. GO KARL!!!
remember you mentioning that...is it Team Takter or the other ownership group. Man if this horse wins the Hambo his syndication value at stud is going to go through the roof.

Always look forward to the biggest day in harness horse racing. Gonna be hot and they don't allow any outside food or drinks even water inside. Still have to be wanded due to Fanduel located there.

Time for annual thread

anyone heading to the Big M. Weather will by typically hot and humid but unfortunately a good chance of showers late. Hambo is the 12th race going off at 4:45PM so hopefully they can get that in. Its will broadcast like on Fox Channel 5 as part of their Saturday horse racing coverage call it an appetizer for the Whitney Stakes which will take place an hour later.

Big hype this year is the rubber match between Karl and TCI. Both were incredible at 2 with the latter TCI setting a record for most money ever won by a 2 Yo trotterwith $1.23 million while Karl took home divisional honors including a decisive win over TCI in the Breeders Crown. Karl suffered a loss at the Red Mile by just a whisker to TCI a month earlier. Karl has won 14 of 16 lifetime and never out of the money. TCI has won 14 of 18, only out of the money once which was this year when he broke before the start and finished 4th. This year both have been handled with care to avoid a matchup but both horses stunningly have suffered losses. Both two weeks ago in stakes actions at the Meadowlands, yet both bounced back and were impressive in the Hambo elims last Saturday. Karl will leave from tricky post 1 while TCI drew the 4. Sig Sauer drew post 8 and ran down Karl 2 weeks ago and could see a nice price. Highland Kismet also has a shot to upset the applecart. Based on sheer ability and what he has done this year, Karl has to get the nod now and will go off as prohibitive favorite. TCI is certainly capable of jumping up and winning this with Dave Miller in the bike but Karl at his best may be at another level.

. As usual big undercard with the Oaks going off at 6PM with the likely favorite the beautiful and rare chestnut Elista Hanover who has won 10 in a row. Got big races for the aged pacers both male and female, ditto on the aged trot side. Cane Pace featuring Meadowlands Pace winner Legendary Hanover and its compatriot race the Shady Daisy for 3 year old fillies.

Are you going?

Its never been the same since the new building opened after 2012

Gone are the crowds of 35-40k in the 80s and 90s. They were still pulling almost 20k before the switch but now crowd is like 10-12k tops

Reactions: WhiteBus and TRU2RU
Ive only missed 2 since 1985..thats 38 out of the last 40 years...for a wedding in 2000 and covid year 2020 where they limited attendance to like 500 which was asburd
I've missed my first Haskell this year since 1978. Last year it took 3 hours to get there. I left after 2 1/2 hours to avoid the traffic and it took 3 1/2 hours to get home. 195 has become a nightmare on weekends. Passed on a repeat.
What's your bet?

Reactions: bac2therac
This is a tough one. Obviously Karl is the one to beat who was beat 3 weeks ago but came back strong last week in the eliminations. TCI broke 3 weeks ago but looked back to form in his elimination divison. Both babied this year. If you look for an upset I would pick Sig Sauer.
I'm going with exacta box Karl and Sig Sauer.

This is a tough one. Obviously Karl is the one to beat who was beat 3 weeks ago but came back strong last week in the eliminations. TCI broke 3 weeks ago but looked back to form in his elimination divison. Both babied this year. If you look for an upset I would pick Sig Sauer.
I'm going with exacta box Karl and Sig Sauer.
@bac2therac and yourself. Who's the long shot to be a part of the trifecta?
You going Rock...?

Time for annual thread

I thought the Meadowlands track closed a while ago.

@bac2therac - EDIT. Maybe I am thinking about the old Pegasus club that closed at the track? Does that sound familiar?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: bac2therac
1. Karl 6/5
2. Mars Hill 20-1
3 .Highland Kismet 5-1
4. TCI 5-2
5. Security Protected 20-1
6. Bella's Musclehill 15-1
7. Secret Agent Man 12-1
8. Sig Sauer 4-1
9. Private Access 10-1
10. Amazing Catch 20-1

Other real threat is Highland Kismet. The rest haven't been impressive this year.

I thought the Meadowlands track closed a while ago.

@bac2therac - EDIT. Maybe I am thinking about the old Pegasus club that closed at the track? Does that sound familiar?
The old Meadowlands track closed 2012. A new smaller track was built on the opposite side. Inside the track is Fanduel for sports wagering. The old track was finally demolished to the ground last year. Sometimes if you ride by at night going home you can see the ghosts of Bob Mulchahy and Mack Lobell pacing the old grounds. The Meadowlands racetrack is a former shell of itself.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
The old Meadowlands track closed 2012. A new smaller track was built on the opposite side. Inside the track is Fanduel for sports wagering. The old track was finally demolished to the ground last year. Sometimes if you ride by at night going home you can see the ghosts of Bob Mulchahy and Mack Lobell pacing the old grounds. The Meadowlands racetrack is a former shell of itself.
Got it, thanks for the info!

@bac2therac and yourself. Who's the long shot to be a part of the trifecta?
You going Rock...?
I like Karl and will try to find some value and may take a shot with Private Acess or Secret Agent Man or even Bellas Musclehill to hit the board

sometimes in these big races a longshot can sneak in for 3rd or even 2nd. If TCI and Karl go at it hard early rather than late things could get wild

Reactions: WhiteBus and TRU2RU
I like Karl and will try to find some value and may take a shot with Private Acess or Secret Agent Man or even Bellas Musclehill to hit the board

sometimes in these big races a longshot can sneak in for 3rd or even 2nd. If TCI and Karl go at it hard early rather than late things could get wild
Getting in a speed dual would be extremely stupid on such an important race. The winner of this race will command huge stud fees, so I imagine the drivers will not allow themselves to get involved in anything that would lessen their chances of winning

one of the most thrilling Hambos I have ever witnessed....after brutal mid 90s heat all day with a ton of blazing sun, the race prior to the Hambo began with a downpour and then after a break, everyone thought the Hambo would be able to escape the rain...NOPE...as the horses approached the starting gate, the heavens let lose with a relentless downpour that threw the race into uncertainty and as TCI tired, it looked like Highland Kismat might have enough to win the race, Karl was there charging but seemed like he was not going to be able to get there and all of a sudden Karl being the true champion he is powered through with another gear in the final 1/8 to win the race to a crowd fully cheering and going nuts for him shouting his name. Rain didnt stop through the whole winners circle ceremony and everyone was drenched from connections to all the patrons but no one cared it was great to be part of something special

Reactions: TRU2RU
What a crazy race. All was come until the start when the skies opened up and it just downpoured. Everyone stayed and just got soaked. I thought Karl packed it in at the 3rd qtr but he found another gear and went by Kismet. I thought I hit the triple with sig Sauer but got edged out by Amazing Catch even though he went inside 2 pylons in the stretch. Crazy rain.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT