ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Harbaugh back to the NFL?

rutgersguy1

Hall of Famer
Dec 17, 2008

Article is paywall but Raiders and Bears mentioned.

Snippet from the article:

And now, The Athletic is hearing rumblings, both from the NFL side and at Michigan, that Harbaugh might be tempted to leave the Wolverines to return to the NFL. “I think it’s real,” said one source this week when asked about the possibility of Harbaugh being interested in heading back to the NFL.

The Raiders head coaching job might be tough for him to say no to given his ties to the organization — he started his coaching career there in 2003 — and the fact that there’s already a solid quarterback in place in Derek Carr. He’s also friends with Raiders owner Mark Davis.

It is worth noting that the Raiders are on a three-game winning streak under interim head coach Rich Bisaccia and could become a playoff team if they beat the Chargers on Sunday. Whether Davis is looking to find a new head coach is yet to be determined.

The Bears might be another option.

He already has turned down the Raiders before and Chicago is a mess.

Not a bad point, leave on a high note. I’m not so sure he’ll be able to repeat it either.

He'd be an idiot to leave for the Raiders. Prime example of an owner thinking he knows more about football than his coaches.

Reactions: WhiteBus
He'd be an idiot to leave for the Raiders. Prime example of an owner thinking he knows more about football than his coaches.
Well then he’d be taking after dear ole dad lol. I was a fan back in those days. At least Al was a former coach though.

The dopes on WFAN are already calling him a homerun, and want him in place of Joe Judge.

Extension at UM coming this week.
Funny it's never discussed on here but Schiano was fired at Tampa because his agent was floating the idea that Greg was going to take over for JoePa at Penn State. I guess to get a raise from the BUCS. The Glazer's were furious and fired Greg. I think Schiano fired that agent soon after.

Extension at UM coming this week.
That crossed my mind and he might get an extension but Harbaugh isn’t the type that strikes me as so money hungry to leak a story like that for that reason.

He reworked his contract in the first place (of course he could’ve been fired) and he donated some millions to the AD staff from his bonus.

Maybe no one comes calling or he doesn’t get a situation he likes so he stays and an extension happens but I don’t think this story was leaked for that purpose.

A bad owner too who maybe partially on the hook for Grudens remaining contract along with the NFL.
Last I checked coaching salaries don’t count against the salary cap, and an owner who spends money matched with Harbaugh’s leverage to get a lot of control in the organization might be attractive to him.

Article is paywall but Raiders and Bears mentioned.

Snippet from the article:

And now, The Athletic is hearing rumblings, both from the NFL side and at Michigan, that Harbaugh might be tempted to leave the Wolverines to return to the NFL. “I think it’s real,” said one source this week when asked about the possibility of Harbaugh being interested in heading back to the NFL.

The Raiders head coaching job might be tough for him to say no to given his ties to the organization — he started his coaching career there in 2003 — and the fact that there’s already a solid quarterback in place in Derek Carr. He’s also friends with Raiders owner Mark Davis.

It is worth noting that the Raiders are on a three-game winning streak under interim head coach Rich Bisaccia and could become a playoff team if they beat the Chargers on Sunday. Whether Davis is looking to find a new head coach is yet to be determined.

The Bears might be another option.
lol fieldman said he was not going to michigan the first time. all these guys repeat the same thing every year. they said harbaugh was in talks with the raiders while harbaugh was on a private michigan jet the first time.

What if Michigan goes after Greg? Does Hobbs have a list of candidates ready??

lol fieldman said he was not going to michigan the first time. all these guys repeat the same thing every year. they said harbaugh was in talks with the raiders while harbaugh was on a private michigan jet the first time.
Don’t know who said what but he’s not saying he’s leaving for sure but that it’s out there and it’s a decent chance.

He doesn’t say he’s leaving in this case but most of the time whe these guys say such and such is likely going somewhere it happens.

Feldman was the first one who put the kibosh on the rumors of Riley to LSU when those were growing like wildfire. Later he said look for Riley possibly to USC, not a sure thing but that the talk was out there. Most brushed it off but lo and behold Riley went to USC. So I take this in the same manner. It doesn’t mean Harbaugh is leaving but there’s a decent chance he could.

Last edited:
Harbaugh was pretty damn good in the NFL.

Got a lot out of Alex Smith and Kaepernick, won nearly 70% of his NFL Games.

It was just meddling from the Front Office in San Fran which made him want to get out of there.
He is one of the few college coaches who went and and succeeded in the nfl . I think he would again. He’s a better nfl coach than college coach

The dopes on WFAN are already calling him a homerun, and want him in place of Joe Judge.
They could do worse.
Giants don't need another unproven newbie
Players will respect him without him having to try and be a Vince Lombardi dictator
He knows young players obvs
He played QB on 6 NFL teams
He had to learn something about QB and Giants/Jets both need that
He was NFL coach of the year in 2011

Reactions: Plum Street
They could do worse.
Giants don't need another unproven newbie
Players will respect him without him having to try and be a Vince Lombardi dictator
He knows young players obvs
He played QB on 6 NFL teams
He had to learn something about QB and Giants/Jets both need that
He was NFL coach of the year in 2011
The Giants aren't a coach away, or a QB and a QB whisperer away. They need to blow up the roster, salt the fields, and start over fresh. I don't think Harbaugh is that kind of coach.

The Giants aren't a coach away, or a QB and a QB whisperer away. They need to blow up the roster, salt the fields, and start over fresh. I don't think Harbaugh is that kind of coach.
Out of all NYG problems, I think Giants need someone who can draft
Some guys look big and strong but they are just inflated from pumping iron
Some guys don't look strong or lift the most, but they have big joints and bones
Guys like that are country strong and they don't get injured like the juicers and
excessive lifters.
I knew a guy who was was a DE at PSU. At 30 he was 6'3" 260 but could only bench his weight but he could pick-up and stack full kegs like they were empty. He was a bartender and could take WWF looking guys and have them in headlocks in 15 seconds
A lot f NFL people get fooled by stats and exercises at the combine - Al Davis Syndrome

Last edited:
Out of all NYG problems, I think Giants need someone who can draft
Some guys look big and strong but they are just inflated from pumping iron
Some guys don't look strong or lift the most, but they have big joints and bones
Guys like that are country strong and they don't get injured like the juicers and
excessive lifters.
I knew a guy who was was a DE at PSU. At 30 he was 6'3" 260 but could only bench his weight but he could pick-up and stack full kegs like they were empty. He was a bartender and could take WWF looking guys and have them in headlocks in 15 seconds
A lot f NFL people get fooled by stats and exercises at the combine - Al Davis Syndrome
Like what scouts said about the legendary Mike Mamula. "Tests like Tarzan. Plays like Jane".

Reactions: ashokan

Also, the Giants are in such a bad place cap wise, I don't think Vince Lombardi would be able to fix them overnight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT