ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Jim Harbaugh

Just thought I would put out something different, but with Harbaugh who know what he will do.

Saw a few sites that didn't have him going in Rd. 1, but going in Rd 2 or3.
I wouldn't draft him if i was a GM. I get real Kirk Cousins-vibe from him. He can lead you to the playoffs but is ultimately just a game manager.

He wouldn't even be in the top 5 QBs this draft for me. I'd take Williams, Maye, Daniels, Penix and Nix over him easily. Hell if Jordan Travis was healthy, i'd take him too over McCarthy.

Last edited:
Well they did just win it all so....
In college yes, but that's because they're far and away the best overall team from top to bottom. QBs who have the most stacked teams don't really do well in the pros. Look at Mac Jones.

In college yes, but that's because they're far and away the best overall team from top to bottom. QBs who have the most stacked teams don't really do well in the pros. Look at Mac Jones.
Dude was just kidding. It's still funny 36 hours after he wins a National Title you label him a bum lol.
I don't think he is a pro starter either but watching Penix Monday night I'd pass on him first.
Also McCarthy was a game manager this season but not as much last year as the leaned on him more to win games.

Dude was just kidding. It's still funny 36 hours after he wins a National Title you label him a bum lol.
I don't think he is a pro starter either but watching Penix Monday night I'd pass on him first.
Also McCarthy was a game manager this season but not as much last year as the leaned on him more to win games.
He's not a bum, I'd kill to be athletic and talented enough to even be called a game manager haha

I'm just looking big picture and i don't see him being a star QB like a 1st rounder should be.

I like Penix a lot, and i think he can succeed in the NFL, he just ran into a superior team.

Well Harbaugh said McCarthy's throw is like flicking a booger. If that doesn't translate to high draft pick I don't know what does lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Knightmancometh
McNamara isn't projected as a pro. Most think he will go undrafted.
JJ McCarthy is the Mich QB and he will get drafted , most likely rd 1 in the 2024 draft. You may be thinking of former Mich QB Cade McNamara who transferred to Iowa but did not play this past season due to injury.

I just don't see why an Alpha Male like Harbaugh would want to step in after one of the great coaches of our time just won six SBs there.

I think someone like him would want to make his own mark.
Which is why he leaves for the Chargers and keep in mind, this was supposed to be Michigan's year - they were favored in the B10 preseason and they lose a TON of 4th and 5th year seniors which is another factor he's looking at. Most have a battle between Oregon and OSU for the B10 next year and OSU is returning 6 or 7 players that were top 1 to 4 round NFL picks that decided to stay at OSU. Same with Oregon although not quite as deep. Just reasons for Harbaugh to leave

I would be surprised if McCarthy sticks in the nfl long term. A journeyman backup best guess..

Kinda odd this takes so long.
This is a situation where the Rooney rule is ridiculous. Chargers knew who they want and then had to waste other people’s time with sham interviews

Kinda odd this takes so long.
This is a situation where the Rooney rule is ridiculous. Chargers knew who they want and then had to waste other people’s time with sham interviews
ehh, im ok with it. You gotta do your due diligence. Just because it works on paper, doesn't mean it will in real life. You gotta work with this person very closely everyday, if you can't see ey to eye or personality clashes, may not be worth it.

But aslong as you get the right guy, don't care how long it takes.

ehh, im ok with it. You gotta do your due diligence. Just because it works on paper, doesn't mean it will in real life. You gotta work with this person very closely everyday, if you can't see ey to eye or personality clashes, may not be worth it.

But aslong as you get the right guy, don't care how long it takes.
Well, obviously they thought it would work from the initial interview. But had to go through the dance of interviewing other candidates. In this situation, harbaugh’s resume was better than Raheem Morris (Rooney rule guy) and Ben Johnson (who was probably interviewed as a ploy) .
It’s not like these candidates are equal to harbaugh

Well, obviously they thought it would work from the initial interview. But had to go through the dance of interviewing other candidates. In this situation, harbaugh’s resume was better than Raheem Morris (Rooney rule guy) and Ben Johnson (who was probably interviewed as a ploy) .
It’s not like these candidates are equal to harbaugh
Equal, no. But you still have to interview other people just so you have some semblance of negotiating power. If hes the only interview you do, and he knows it, he'll want that deal Gruden got with the Raiders before he got fired. Something like 10 years - $100 Million or so.

Plus you never know, you interview someone just to do it and they blow you away. Thats how Tony Dungy got the Tampa Bay job. They didn't want him, they interviewed him just so Steve Spurrier wouldn't get too greedy. Turned out best for everybody. Spurrier stayed in Florida where he was his best while Tony Dungy got the job and became one of the best coaches in the league.

So ya never know.

Reactions: Eagleton96
Equal, no. But you still have to interview other people just so you have some semblance of negotiating power. If hes the only interview you do, and he knows it, he'll want that deal Gruden got with the Raiders before he got fired. Something like 10 years - $100 Million or so.

Plus you never know, you interview someone just to do it and they blow you away. Thats how Tony Dungy got the Tampa Bay job. They didn't want him, they interviewed him just so Steve Spurrier wouldn't get too greedy. Turned out best for everybody. Spurrier stayed in Florida where he was his best while Tony Dungy got the job and became one of the best coaches in the league.

So ya never know.
Mike Tomlin became the Steelers’ successor to Cowher after he blew them away in an interview he got because of the Rooney Rule.

Mike Tomlin became the Steelers’ successor to Cowher after he blew them away in an interview he got because of the Rooney Rule.
They were also the ones who created that rule so they were probably inclined to interview him anyway.

But he also fit their MO for coaches; young, defensive minded, and great communicators

They were also the ones who created that rule so they were probably inclined to interview him anyway.

But he also fit their MO for coaches; young, defensive minded, and great communicators
They were actually expected hire offensive assistant Russ Grimm for the HC job at the time. You are right that they believed in the rule whole heartedly, and I believe they interviewed more minority candidates than the rule even specified which gave Tomlin the chance.

He had only been a DC for a year so wasn’t considered a serious candidate in the press coverage of the search, but anyone who has ever listened to him speak can understand why he was able to sell his vision in an interview.

They were actually expected hire offensive assistant Russ Grimm for the HC job at the time. You are right that they believed in the rule whole heartedly, and I believe they interviewed more minority candidates than the rule even specified which gave Tomlin the chance.

He had only been a DC for a year so wasn’t considered a serious candidate in the press coverage of the search, but anyone who has ever listened to him speak can understand why he was able to sell his vision in an interview.
I'm sure the reports were they wanted Russ Grimm but the Steelers have their ways and its worked well for them each time.

I'm more curious who would be their guy when Tomlin leaves which seems to be a thing every year now haha

I'm sure the reports were they wanted Russ Grimm but the Steelers have their ways and its worked well for them each time.

I'm more curious who would be their guy when Tomlin leaves which seems to be a thing every year now haha
No, the hiring of Tomlin didn’t fit the Steeler’s “way” at all.

Chuck Noll was well known as defensive assistant for Don Shula’s Colts teams that won championships, including a year they set the NFL record at the time for least points allowed.

Bill Cowher had been DC for several years on Marty Schottenheimer Chiefs teams that made the playoffs, and was known enough to be in the running for a few other HC jobs the year before the Steelers hired him.

Tomlin was a one year DC for a 6-10 Vikings team and was relatively unknown. That Vikings team had a strong rushing defense, but Tomlin didn’t have the experience the Steelers looked for in their previous coaches.

No, the hiring of Tomlin didn’t fit the Steeler’s “way” at all.

Chuck Noll was well known as defensive assistant for Don Shula’s Colts teams that won championships, including a year they set the NFL record at the time for least points allowed.

Bill Cowher had been DC for several years on Marty Schottenheimer Chiefs teams that made the playoffs, and was known enough to be in the running for a few other HC jobs the year before the Steelers hired him.

Tomlin was a one year DC for a 6-10 Vikings team and was relatively unknown. That Vikings team had a strong rushing defense, but Tomlin didn’t have the experience the Steelers looked for in their previous coaches.
All 3 were young, defensive-minded, and great communicators know for for getting the best out of their players. They were all cut from the same cloth.

Did Tomlin have less experience? No doubt, but they were all similar.

So ya never know.
And Spurrier was later a total bust as an NFL coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT