ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Harper hits grand slam in bottom of 9th to give Phillies the win over Cubs!

retired711

Heisman Winner
Nov 20, 2001
Cherry Hill
The Phillies trailed 5-1 going to the bottom of the ninth, and the firstbatter was retired. The second (Hernandez) reached on an error by SS Bote. Three straight singles made it 5-3, and then Hoskins was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Then Harper came through. He now has 25 home runs and 87 RBI. This, of course, is what the Phillies were hoping Harper would do. Should add that Harper hit two HRs last night too. He is a streaky hitter, but maybe it's not a coincidence that Charlie Manuel has just come back as hitting coach. Manual is an old-fashioned baseball guy, but he has an excellent record in helping hitters be successful.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
T2K: far too early in the contract to say that.

But I’ll concede that he’s underperformed to this point.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
T2K: far too early in the contract to say that.

But I’ll concede that he’s underperformed to this point.
Machado has underperformed as well. Both have plenty of company, long contracts are awful unless you are named Trout.

It reminded me of Bo Diaz' slam vs Neil Allen in 1983 at the Vet.

If Harper hits 35 HR and knocks in 115 or so,how can he be called a bust?

Keep in mind, too, that Harper is also an excellent defensive outfielder with a great arm. He threw a runner out tonight, for instance. He's willing to dive for balls at the risk of injury. Doesn't seem like a bust to me either.

The Phillies trailed 5-1 going to the bottom of the ninth, and the firstbatter was retired. The second (Hernandez) reached on an error by SS Bote. Three straight singles made it 5-3, and then Hoskins was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Then Harper came through. He now has 25 home runs and 87 RBI. This, of course, is what the Phillies were hoping Harper would do. Should add that Harper hit two HRs last night too. He is a streaky hitter, but maybe it's not a coincidence that Charlie Manuel has just come back as hitting coach. Manual is an old-fashioned baseball guy, but he has an excellent record in helping hitters be successful.
Ehhhh... Harper was supposed to be doing what Bellinger, Trout, even Alonso is doing hitting 40 HRs by now. Only people who thinks Harper is having a great year is the MLB IG page, who would have 3 posts on him if he takes the perfect shi in any given night.

He is very unlikable.
ECECRc1U8AAZfZW.jpg

Philly fans think he has a great personality. He has given a spark of excitement to the team.
He is the guy fans of other teams love to hate. A lightning rod of sorts. Every fan is a bit different. But even if he was a Met, would have a hard time cheering for him. For Phillies fans, hopefully his subpar season is just one season. For Mets fans, hope the season is the start of his career decline! :Sly:

On a less controversial player, what happened with Hoskins this season?

He is the guy fans of other teams love to hate. A lightning rod of sorts. Every fan is a bit different. But even if he was a Met, would have a hard time cheering for him. For Phillies fans, hopefully his subpar season is just one season. For Mets fans, hope the season is the start of his career decline! :Sly:

Time to start a betting pool - which Philly teammate will be the first to punch him in the face?

Hoskins has been OK, but no better. I wonder if the past hitting coach's "grind-it-out" philosophy has led Hoskins to lay off hittable pitches early in an at-bat in the hope of getting something better later. Ted Williams once said that the most important thing in hitting is to get a good pitch to hit.

Reactions: Knight Shift
This is what Harper did for the Nationals for seven years. In fact this would be one of his better years. He is a very good player. Full stop.

Not sure he has ever been or will ever be a better player than Anthony Rendon. Who we may have to pay close to the 8/260 Arenado just got.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Phillies suck. Bunch of overpaid bums. Braves are doing much better without overpaying for a over hyped players.

Harper's overall numbers are down, near career lows in some categories (and career highs in strikeout rate). But Harper has been extraordinarily clutch this year -- literally the clutchest hitter in baseball, according to FanGraphs' measures.

Statistically, "clutch" means a player hits better in the highest-leverage moments than he does in lower-leverage ones. It means his impact on his team's win probability is greater than his overall numbers alone would suggest. So, for example, here's Harper by various game states:

• High leverage: .322/.385/.655

• Medium leverage: .261/.372/.444

• Low leverage: .208/.367/.411
Since "clutch" is basically a ratio of two splits, a player can measure out as clutch because he has been really incredible in one, or because he has been really terrible in another, or -- as in Harper's case -- a little bit of each. His low-leverage stats are dragging his overall performance down, making his WAR look mediocre and his career path look less encouraging. But his high-leverage stats are doing what he's trying really hard to do, which is help the Phillies win. By Win Probability Added, Harper ranks fifth in all of baseball, behind only Christian Yelich, Mike Trout, Cody Bellinger and Freddie Freeman (in case you're worried that WPA is a junk stat with a junk leaderboard). He has driven in a higher percentage of his baserunners than Trout, Bellinger or Yelich.

Consider the four-game series the Phillies just played against the Giants: Harper went 3-for-14. But the three were a three-run homer, while trailing by one run in the seventh; a two-out, bases-loaded single that turned a one-run deficit into a one-run lead; and a homer that turned a one-run lead into a two-run lead.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27378645/is-bryce-bust-not-take-harper-word-it

This is what Harper did for the Nationals for seven years. In fact this would be one of his better years. He is a very good player. Full stop.

Not sure he has ever been or will ever be a better player than Anthony Rendon. Who we may have to pay close to the 8/260 Arenado just got.
Rendon stepped up big time this year. Met killer.

Doesn’t matter. Nola is a great pitcher the other 4 Suck. Vargas is #2 starter. Can’t have 4 guys that 5 innings 2 runs is a great start. Bullpen will be in shambles within 2 weeks.
Vargas looks good as #5 going 5 1/3 innings giving up 3 runs , that doesn’t work for a #2. Valasquez will throw 7 good innings and then pitch 4 games that fans want him sent to minors . Efflin has sucked out of the bullpen now he’s starting ? Smyly sucked last night

Harper's overall numbers are down, near career lows in some categories (and career highs in strikeout rate). But Harper has been extraordinarily clutch this year -- literally the clutchest hitter in baseball, according to FanGraphs' measures.

Statistically, "clutch" means a player hits better in the highest-leverage moments than he does in lower-leverage ones. It means his impact on his team's win probability is greater than his overall numbers alone would suggest. So, for example, here's Harper by various game states:

• High leverage: .322/.385/.655

• Medium leverage: .261/.372/.444

• Low leverage: .208/.367/.411
Since "clutch" is basically a ratio of two splits, a player can measure out as clutch because he has been really incredible in one, or because he has been really terrible in another, or -- as in Harper's case -- a little bit of each. His low-leverage stats are dragging his overall performance down, making his WAR look mediocre and his career path look less encouraging. But his high-leverage stats are doing what he's trying really hard to do, which is help the Phillies win. By Win Probability Added, Harper ranks fifth in all of baseball, behind only Christian Yelich, Mike Trout, Cody Bellinger and Freddie Freeman (in case you're worried that WPA is a junk stat with a junk leaderboard). He has driven in a higher percentage of his baserunners than Trout, Bellinger or Yelich.

Consider the four-game series the Phillies just played against the Giants: Harper went 3-for-14. But the three were a three-run homer, while trailing by one run in the seventh; a two-out, bases-loaded single that turned a one-run deficit into a one-run lead; and a homer that turned a one-run lead into a two-run lead.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27378645/is-bryce-bust-not-take-harper-word-it
Low leverage performance counts the same and creates high leverage opportunities for other teammates. He has had a poor year, based on expectations, no question. It was a bad signing. Look at his stats, he only had one elite season.

He won't be unless they're determined to in spite of the evidence.

I was never sure what to make of him, but it's pretty clear that the way he was depicted throughout his time in D.C. simply does not jibe with the reality of the guy, at least after watching him night in and night out this season. He's been better than his statistics (which are, in and of themselves, very good), and he does a lot of things that don't show up in the box score.

But the biggest revelation to me has been what a an all-out game and great teammate he is. His teammates clearly love him, and follow the tone he sets. He's also been the kind of guy who makes it easy for the management, too. Agreeable, diplomatic, with worry-free marketability. As long as he stays healthy, the Phillies will have gotten their money's worth. Now they just need to spend some more on some pitching!

I was never sure what to make of him, but it's pretty clear that the way he was depicted throughout his time in D.C. simply does not jibe with the reality of the guy, at least after watching him night in and night out this season. He's been better than his statistics (which are, in and of themselves, very good), and he does a lot of things that don't show up in the box score.

But the biggest revelation to me has been what a an all-out game and great teammate he is. His teammates clearly love him, and follow the tone he sets. He's also been the kind of guy who makes it easy for the management, too. Agreeable, diplomatic, with worry-free marketability. As long as he stays healthy, the Phillies will have gotten their money's worth. Now they just need to spend some more on some pitching!
Sarcasm?

I agree with much of what you posted except the bold. Just wait a bit longer than 3/4 of one season before declaring that one in bold a done deal..

Yogi Berra type stats...only difference is he’d have more home runs than strikeouts.
Some might say that’s easy when you only strike out 12 times in 597 AB’s

As a Phillies fan, I was happy they got him but hated the price. I have to think contracts like these pretty much sets the player up for failure.
His BA is sure not something to crow about but it looks like his SO's have dropped. Also looks like the fans, who are well known for intolerance (remember booing Santa?), have given him a longer leash.
But this is all about winning and the team has certainly underperformed.

I agree with much of what you posted except the bold. Just wait a bit longer than 3/4 of one season before declaring that one in bold a done deal..

Similar to how some should “wait a bit longer than 3/4 of one season before declaring that” the contract was a bust?

Machado has underperformed as well. Both have plenty of company, long contracts are awful unless you are named Trout.

Let me amplify this point about Machado. Right now, Machado has one more homer than Harper. But Harper exceeds Machado in the following categories: doubles (Harper has almost twice), on-base percentage, slugging average, OPS, RBIs, and wins above average. Clearly the Phillies are better off with Harper than Machado.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Beside Harper who else did they overpay for??

It's been ages now, but you'll recall their overpaying for Papelbon. Is that jerk even still in baseball? (I saw him at.Citizens Bank Park and he made an obscene gesture to the booing fans as he was walking toward the dugout.)

Let me amplify this point about Machado. Right now, Machado has one more homer than Harper. But Harper exceeds Machado in the following categories: doubles (Harper has almost twice), on-base percentage, slugging average, OPS, RBIs, and wins above average. Clearly the Phillies are better off with Harper than Machado.
Machado is a great defensive player.
It’s not all offense that wins games and makes you a wonderful player

Papelbon played for 12 years. Last year was 2016 with Washington. Lives in Hattiesburg, also home to the University of Southern Mississippi and Brett Favre.

Machado is a great defensive player.
It’s not all offense that wins games and makes you a wonderful player

Defense isn't as important from a right fielder as from a third baseman, but keep in mind that, as I said earlier, Harper has been an excellent right fielder defensively. He is willing to put his body at risk by diving for balls (almost always successfully) and he has a cannon of an arm.

Defense isn't as important from a right fielder as from a third baseman, but keep in mind that, as I said earlier, Harper has been an excellent right fielder defensively. He is willing to put his body at risk by diving for balls (almost always successfully) and he has a cannon of an arm.
Right field is a hugely important defensive position.
Stopping first to third for right fielders on a base hit is enormous for not extending innings.

God bless Rusty Staub, but the A’s knew Rusty couldn’t throw in 73

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT