ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hoboken train crash

All true. I could have been clearer in my post. Anything of that nature wouldn't be released by credible sources yet. So there was no way that such information would have been released to the media already and no way anybody in the media would know for sure. And if he was not found alive, the cause of his death wouldn't be known yet.
You're right. I responded thinking the guy was alive and the news was being reported on the major networks. But it's not being reported, so far as I can tell, and the major networks don't know what the cause was yet.

Reactions: Phi_1055
Imagine standing on the platform?

I assume the worst injuries would be outside the train.
Looking at the photos and videos on the news, I think, unfortunately, that the violence of the crash suggests that some people who were inside the train might have wound up suddenly outside and vice-versa. Pretty bad looking crash.

Definitely some people from where I live (Pearl River) on that train. Hope everyone is okay.

Horrible. Praying for everyone affected. As a NJT commuter, this scares the crap out of me. The whole system feels like a bubble about to burst.

Have only been to Hobo station a few times, but don't the trains pull right up to the waiting areas rather than beneath them or at least along side like most stations?

Horrible. Praying for everyone affected. As a NJT commuter, this scares the crap out of me. The whole system feels like a bubble about to burst.

Have only been to Hobo station a few times, but don't the trains pull right up to the waiting areas rather than beneath them or at least along side like most stations?

yup

hoboken_terminal109.jpg

Equipment Failure?
Medical emergency?
Deliberate act by Engineer?
Second Party involved?

TBD. . . .

To add to this. This photo was taken with the photographer's back to the shops, ticketing area, etc. An approaching train would come towards you. Commuters would exit the train and come towards you and go to your right for PATH trains and the left for the ferries. Lots of people would be moving across in front of you. The train blew through the stop coming at you.

Reactions: Rokodesh
I cannot understand what happened. Took the Coast Line into Hoboken for many years. Trains start to slow down well before they even reach the railyard let alone the station. Not sure how it could have been travelling at full speed as some of the reports suggest. I also thought there were "kill" switches in case of an engineer had a medical issue.

My son is fine, he takes the North Jersey Coast Line every day also. Checking the rail map, does every North Jersey Coast Line train go to Hoboken, or only certain times go there?

There are two that I'm aware of, from SA the 6:04a and the 6:40a. The 6:04a stops in Woodbridge and NPS; the 6:40a stops only in NPS. They make all stops south of SA (Matawan, Hazlet, Middletown, etc). I live near Dunellen station but I elect to drive to my brothers house in SA because of these "express" trains into HOB. Dunellen has one train into HOB, it makes all stops and it's at some ungodly time, 5:20a I think.

I cannot understand what happened. Took the Coast Line into Hoboken for many years. Trains start to slow down well before they even reach the railyard let alone the station. Not sure how it could have been travelling at full speed as some of the reports suggest. I also thought there were "kill" switches in case of an engineer had a medical issue.
The technology exists for something like a kill switch that automatically slows a train down but I don't believe that technology has been implemented on NJT or many other train systems nationwide--at least that is what the news reports are saying. News reports mention there is a 2018 compliance date for this technology but it was already extended once I believe.

There are two that I'm aware of, from SA the 6:04a and the 6:40a. The 6:04a stops in Woodbridge and NPS; the 6:40a stops only in NPS. They make all stops south of SA (Matawan, Hazlet, Middletown, etc). I live near Dunellen station but I elect to drive to my brothers house in SA because of these "express" trains into HOB. Dunellen has one train into HOB, it makes all stops and it's at some ungodly time, 5:20a I think.
Ok, my son takes either the 7:05am or the 7:25am train from Hazlet, everyday. very scary to say the least.

For the non-blue lighters out here, I assume the colors are triage categories?

Affirmative. Black obviously = "dead". Red is critically injured / life-threatening injuries (as noted in the field), yellow means seriously injured but not life-threatening (think broken bones, lacerations, etc.) and green is "walking wounded" - cuts, bruises, etc.

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
There's no way that would be known this early.
I did not get this from the media so you can chose to believe whatever you want. You assume that somehow the media always knows everything first. My brothers-in-law works for nj transit and told my wife as we were worried about his safety after hearing about this.

The trains on this line have been short cars all week, equipment is continually breaking down. Yesterday they had very old equipment on the express train. This does not shock me. The conductors actually engage the hand brake when trains approach the station all the time. The conductors mentioned a few weeks ago that one tran breaks down everytime they send it out. Recently the train kept stopping because the computer told it the signals were red...we began moving when they announced that they had over ridden the computer...

Interesting because those trains dont pull up to that station very fast, so to say that it blew threw it would be wrong...it is the last station and mostly always at rush hour comes to a stop before it even enters the station because it is really only 2 or 4 tracks merging into many terminals and needs to wait for either other trains to to pull in first or allow access for another to leave before going into its assigned loading area...its also not like a station in the middle of a line where it would blow thru and keep goin to its next station, its the end of the line so i cant imagine it goin that fast, theres a lot of traffic merging and coming thru at that time, not just one train pulling up to a station. If it was a mechanical issue and the brakes werent working he must have known in advance but people on board said it stopped at every station fine...im gonna suspect foul play in this

The technology exists for something like a kill switch that automatically slows a train down but I don't believe that technology has been implemented on NJT or many other train systems nationwide--at least that is what the news reports are saying. News reports mention there is a 2018 compliance date for this technology but it was already extended once I believe.

Deadman switches are on all trains - there is another system that automatically slows down trains as they approach the station regardless of what the engineer is doing. That second system is what the NJIT was mandated to have in place by 2015 which was extended to 2018.

Deadman switches are on all trains - there is another system that automatically slows down trains as they approach the station regardless of what the engineer is doing. That second system is what the NJIT was mandated to have in place by 2015 which was extended to 2018.
Okay thanks for the clarification.

Positive Train Control

Furthermore:

The commuter train that crashed into New Jersey Transit's Hoboken terminal during the Thursday morning rush was not equipped with the positive train control technology that could have prevented it from roaring off the rails.

What's more, not a single New Jersey Transit employee been trained how to use the PTC technology, according to the most recent U.S. Department of Transportation progress report, which is dated Sept. 13.

NBC backtracking, now saying just 1 fatality. Very irresponsible journalism.
Initial reports are almost always wrong. That's more about human nature in a crisis situation. But generally the press gets it wrong by pushing through anything that sounds new without vetting or confirming. Not like "new media" or crowd sourced news gets it right every time either.

I really have to shake my head right now. There was a train crash - with fatalities - and people here are worried about "dupe" posts and if I have someone on the "ignore" feature? Seriously? Wow.

1 fatality. 75 injured, a handful of those seriously.

It could have been WAY worse.

1 fatality. 75 injured, a handful of those seriously.

It could have been WAY worse.

Absolutely. Knowing that station well, and how incredibly close the end of the tracks are to the concourse and waiting room - literally within 10/15 yards - at that time of day, well, let's be thankful it wasn't.

PATH will be functional.. THIS AFTERNOON ... so all Hoboken folk can relax.

I wonder how they can fix the platform to allow the other tracks to be used as quickly as possible,.

1 young woman dead. Conductor in hospital but being cooperative with authorities. PATH services are expected to be running before rush house. They will run a couple of "ghost trains" first but PATH station appears to be 100% structurally sound.

My wife commutes through Hoboken about 3 days a week. This morning she arrived there about 8:10 and got on the ferry. Her company provided a car service to get her home because she had an important 4 Pm conference call that she can take at home which is where she is now. Tonight's commute is going to be a nightmare.
Last week she was in Charlotte for work and stayed at the Omni Hotel. Checked out on Tuesday and on Wednesday there was a right and someone killed outside the hotel. That's two close calls in a week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT