ADVERTISEMENT

OT: House of the Dragon - Discussion

If based on writing of GRRM I'm interested. If based on the guys who "wrote" the last year and a half of GoT, pass.

Last edited:
I only watched GOT last year. I think it lived up to the hype, especially seasons 2-6. I’d like to think I’ll be more up to date with this one lol. Hopefully it’s as good.

If based on writing of GRRM I'm interested. If based on the guys who "wrote" the last year and a half of GoT, pass.
Good news for you. David and Dan are 100% gone from HBO and anything GRRM-related. GRRM himself came up with the concept of the series via his Fire and Blood book (which chronicles the Targaryen civil war). GRRM picked the showrunners and pitched the idea to HBO who said yes. GRRM reviews all scripts and is very involved in the series. NO REPEAT of GOT.....which was amazing when it had GRRM's source material, but jumped the shark once David and Dan thought they knew best and kicked GRRM to the curb.

Important video for all GRRM fans:

Good news for you. David and Dan are 100% gone from HBO and anything GRRM-related. GRRM himself came up with the concept of the series via his Fire and Blood book (which chronicles the Targaryen civil war). GRRM picked the showrunners and pitched the idea to HBO who said yes. GRRM reviews all scripts and is very involved in the series. NO REPEAT of GOT.....which was amazing when it had GRRM's source material, but jumped the shark once David and Dan thought they knew best and kicked GRRM to the curb.

Important video for all GRRM fans:

Well tie me to a pig and roll me in the mud - I just might tune in.

Hopefully it's good. I'll give it a shot, I need a new show now that Better Call Saul has ended

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
After the first episode I don’t yet see one character that can equal Cersie. Let’s see how it goes. Solid start, but a lot to live up to.

After the first episode I don’t yet see one character that can equal Cersie. Let’s see how it goes. Solid start, but a lot to live up to.
Different time, different series, different characters. Don't look for the next Jon Snow or Cersei.

Reactions: BLewis1968
Different time, different series, different characters. Don't look for the next Jon Snow or Cersei.
I know it’s a different timeline (172 years) and different characters, and said it was a solid start. Looking for a Cersie level character, she was the character that dominated scenes. There will always be comparisons to the original. There is a long way to go and I am sure the character development will be interesting. I enjoyed the first episode, it has potential for sure.

One character that I am interested to see develop is the queen that never was, Princess Rhaenys Targaryen. She looks like she could be a great character going forward, wasn’t featured much in this episode but did have a presence on screen.

Last edited:
I assume additional characters will be introduced and they'll infuse some humour similar to what Bron and the Hound were able to deliver once GOT got going.

I understand the second series was cancelled.. it was a thousand ro two years before House of Dragons and Northlands/First Men focused.. but GRMM had written very little about it and when people saw the work being done for make a story about it the execs just cancelled it and took the loss... kinda like that recent Catwoman movie.

I liked the first episode but wonder if the focus on a single House, the Targaryens, will be too limiting. One thing I did not like.. during the tournament.. it was like they had no rules, no standards of behavior and they paid little attention to it. Compare that to the tournment where we saw the threat of a clash between The Mountain and The Hound over breaking of rules in Season 1 of GoT. Little side comments between Littlefinger and Sansa explainign the drama. It just seems like more care was taken to bring the world alive and explain motivations.

Now they did pay attention to the Targaryens and the Hand..but the Baratheons were just red shirts in the tournament. Starks had a single line... bare mentions of other houses. And while it is just a single episode, I get the nagging feeling that it signals that this series will be must "less" thasn GoT in terms of painting a living, breathing world.

Other than Princess Rhaenyra, who am I supposed to be rooting for? The Queen that Never Was and her family, The Velaryons? They did nothing to flesh out that name. I guess the Hightower name got treated better.. The Hand, his son crused in the Tourney.. his daughter, confidand of the Princess to be whored out to the old King. Hmm.. I guess they did a decent job there.

Where's the comedy of GoT?

Last edited:
I understand the second series was cancelled.. it was a thousand ro two years before House of Dragons and Northlands/First Men focused.. but GRMM had written very little about it and when people saw the work being done for make a story about it the execs just cancelled it and took the loss... kinda like that recent Catwoman movie.

I liked the first episode but wonder if the focus on a single House, the Targaryens, will be too limiting. One thing I did not like.. during the tournament.. it was like they had no rules, no standards of behavior and they paid little attention to it. Compare that to the tournment where we saw the threat of a clash between The Mountain and The Hound over breaking of rules in Season 1 of GoT. Little side comments between Littlefinger and Sansa explainign the drama. It just seems like more care was taken to bring the world alive and explain motivations.

Now they did pay attention to the Targaryens and the Hand..but the Baratheons were just red shirts in the tournament. Starks had a single line... bare mentions of other houses. And while it is just a single episode, I get teh nagging feeling that it signals that this series will be must "less" thasn GoT in terms of painting a living, breathing world.
They did have the one Doornish character, who won the tournament. Let’s see how it progresses, but it will most definitely be about the Targaryens

They did have the one Doornish character, who won the tournament. Let’s see how it progresses, but it will most definitely be about the Targaryens
I thought that comment when he took his helmet off.. "Oh, he's Dornish" was laughable. He looked no different than most of the people.. unlike all the Dornish in GoT.
Criston-Cole.jpg
Oberyn-Martell-house-martell_s3.jpg

But I do get your patience. It was good.. it is just the GoT set the bar sooo high.

Last edited:
I thought that comment when he took his helmet off.. "Oh, he's Dornish" was laughable. He looked no different than most of the people.. unlike all the Dornish in GoT.
Criston-Cole.jpg
Oberyn-Martell-house-martell_s3.jpg

But I do get your patience. It was good.. it is just the GoT set the bar sooo high.
Very high bar, my second favorite series of all time

Question… do I need to watch Game of Thrones before I watch this?
I may be the only person on the planet who has not. Lol

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Not really. It's an entire new cast of characters set 172 years before Game of Thrones. So being a prequel you could watch this one without watching Game of Thrones. Those who watched Game of Thrones know who the Targaryen's become already. You also won't be comparing or waiting for the next, this savior or that villain. Without that knowledge it might be a better viewing experience. Just be ready for lots of gore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jm0513
Don’t feel bad I only watched it last year lol. I’m late to view quite a few popular shows. Only recently just started and about to finish the Last Kingdom.

Looks like same HBO formula
Great sets and effects
Old guys with swords and young girls with baps out
Main story with lot of implied sizzle but thin steak

Re: concern about the focus on the Targaryens. If you read Fire and Blood (which this series is based on), you'll find it is a very fast moving historical anthology of the rise of the Targaryen House, and all its incest, infighting, succession claims, etc. It's not really a Seven Kingdoms complete story the way the core Fire and Ice series is. It's more about the one House and frankly how it's relationship with dragons helped make it dominant. Even that book though is only the first half of their reign (yes it needs to wait for Martin to write it's sequel too) as it will eventually work its way up to Jamie Lannister killing the Mad King Targaryen and ultimately putting the Baratheons on the iron throne.

Shun her!
I watched a few episodes.
I had to watch with closed captions on because I couldn’t understand them.(same reason I gave up on The Wire)
Then between submissive women and siblings having s*x… I gave up. Lol

I watched a few episodes.
I had to watch with closed captions on because I couldn’t understand them.(same reason I gave up on The Wire)
Then between submissive women and siblings having s*x… I gave up. Lol
The first season is a little slow but after that, I think it picks ups and is really good especially seasons 2-6. I've had family give up during season 1 but think if you get through that I think you could enjoy what's to follow.

As for CC, I'm the reverse. I can barely watch tv now without using it lol. I have it on for most shows I watch unless the captions get placed on top of the characters on screen.

Reactions: Jm0513
Re: concern about the focus on the Targaryens. If you read Fire and Blood (which this series is based on), you'll find it is a very fast moving historical anthology of the rise of the Targaryen House, and all its incest, infighting, succession claims, etc. It's not really a Seven Kingdoms complete story the way the core Fire and Ice series is. It's more about the one House and frankly how it's relationship with dragons helped make it dominant. Even that book though is only the first half of their reign (yes it needs to wait for Martin to write it's sequel too) as it will eventually work its way up to Jamie Lannister killing the Mad King Targaryen and ultimately putting the Baratheons on the iron throne.
I've just watched the shows and no nothing about the books. Someone told me he's not even finished with GoT series? Is that true and is that why there was a departure in the last couple seasons? GRRM wasn't done so HBO kind of winged it? He's kind of old too isn't he, how much time does he left to finish all these projects?

I believe the intent of the series is to be 3-5 seasons. Yes, the story is more focused than the main Song of Ice and Fire content, but still pretty awesome with potentially iconic events and scenes.

Also, there is a new Jon Snow (and GOT) continuation series in the works. I will link to a video tonight on this.

Last edited:
I've just watched the shows and no nothing about the books. Someone told me he's not even finished with GoT series? Is that true and is that why there was a departure in the last couple seasons? GRRM wasn't done so HBO kind of winged it? He's kind of old too isn't he, how much time does he left to finish all these projects?
GRRM wrote only 5 of the 7 novels of the main GoT series. HBO and the show runners ran out of content and essentially ignored GRRM’s advice for the last 2 seasons (which is why the quality tanked). GoT really needed to be 10 seasons to make it a full story. It was way too rushed with only 8 seasons and the last 2 seasons were made up of fewer episodes. Awful job by HBO and the show runners.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT