ADVERTISEMENT

OT: If you were Kyler Murray

1. I've heard rumors that the 5'10" is program height for Murray, and the actual is 5'8".

2. Your discussion got me to thinking about Jake Gibbs.

3. Tarkenton played when the DL and OL were 250, 260. It's different now.
I’ve heard he’s closer to 5-10 than 5-9
That’s perfect for a speedy centerfielder who can run down gap shots.
In the NFL, you’d have to create an offense for him

Reactions: waretown
I’ve heard he’s closer to 5-10 than 5-9
That’s perfect for a speedy centerfielder who can run down gap shots.
In the NFL, you’d have to create an offense for him
Michael Vick was listed at 6' but was actually 5'10 (I've met him before and he's slightly shorter than I am).

Never said that, I think MJ was the best athlete in the world, he just couldn’t hit or throw.
Respectfully, I always thought Bo Jackson was the best athlete prior to his injury. He did succeed in both sports.

Bo was a better athlete than Jordan. Jordan was the best basketball player. Great athlete, but plenty of others were better all-around athletes than MJ, like Lebron, Matt Jones, Vernon Davis, etc.

Seems like the consensus is that Kyler is the most talented QB (maybe player) and most likely #1 overall pick - whether Arizona makes the pick or trades it.

In line for close to a $35mil contract (much more than his Oakland A’s contract).

Bo was a better athlete than Jordan. Jordan was the best basketball player. Great athlete, but plenty of others were better all-around athletes than MJ, like Lebron, Matt Jones, Vernon Davis, etc.
Always loved the Bo story about his 4.13 . On his way to track and last minute coaches beg him to run the 40- does so, keeps running out of the building and to track practice...Unreal. And for those of us old enough to watch him when healthy, I do not think there is a human that can top what he did in both sports.From running up the outfield wall, barehand catches in the outfield, his power, speed, could break a baseball bat with his bare hands like it was nothing. And before his injuries, unstopable on the field. run you over or run past you.
Other GREAT athletes - Dion Sanders has to be up there. So does Rickie Henderson. They say Winfield could have been a star in Basketball and football too.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Everyone only looks at best case MLB and worst case NFL. Always so funny how people always frame their argument to benefit their side.
"MLB you'll play 20 years - NFL you'll be crippled the first game of the year!"

Ignoring what he "wants" to do: Football without a doubt.

Worst case scenario NFL:
You get a big first contract (larger than his 1st MLB contract) for 4 years then ease into the nice life of a career backup QB.
Lamar Jackson got about $9.5 mil for the #32 pick.
Hold a clipboard and collect those paychecks afterwards.
Everyone says RGIII - well RGIII is still in the league and has made 9 mil as a backup QB in 2016 and 2018.
As the NFL moves more and more to mobile QBs, he'll be in more demand as a backup QB.

You also instantly get the national recognition and endorsements - at least locally - after being drafted.
Instantly on the roster and #2 QB. Potentially the starter.
Also, if he is a 1st round pick - the team will design a system for him to succeed - see Bal, KC, LA, Phil, Ariz, NYJ.
Teams are fully investing in 1st round QB picks.

You get to live in a major city playing in and working with NFL players/coaches/facilities.
Much better development potential than in minor leagues.
Travel only 10 times a year (preseason and regular season) for a couple days at a time.
Get to be home all week long and sleep in your own bed.

Also, everyone can agree that the NFL is actively changing rules to protect QBs - they aren't getting hit over and over again like other positions.

Worst case scenario MLB:
You are a career minor leaguer and only get that first contract (currently $5mil but could get a new contract for $15 mil)
Even if he gets put on MLB roster from beginning - that's still 7 months (training camp plus season) of constant travel.
Could be in the minors for years - forever. 1st round pick to MLB isn't a straight line for even the best prospects.
A "major league contract" might fast-track it a little but he's not guaranteed to be on 25 man roster initially or ever.
Nicely done.May I add this? Think Russell Wilson.BB potential also.Just signed a 35 million $ contract for the next 4 years.

Football. Near guarantee of early playing time, and don't forget the QB friendly rules that past smaller QBs didn't have the benefit of.

Baseball much longer and less sure road to the bigs.

Always loved the Bo story about his 4.13 . On his way to track and last minute coaches beg him to run the 40- does so, keeps running out of the building and to track practice...Unreal. And for those of us old enough to watch him when healthy, I do not think there is a human that can top what he did in both sports.From running up the outfield wall, barehand catches in the outfield, his power, speed, could break a baseball bat with his bare hands like it was nothing. And before his injuries, unstopable on the field. run you over or run past you.
Other GREAT athletes - Dion Sanders has to be up there. So does Rickie Henderson. They say Winfield could have been a star in Basketball and football too.
There is a similar story with Deion Sanders but not entirely true - rumors swirling if he would or would not participate in the combine skill tests - showed up and ran the 40 in street clothes and immediately jumped into a waiting limousine...that story is probably fabricated...

But he did confirm showing up to a pre-draft meeting with the Giants, who handed him a huge playbook to look through and he responded with “what pick do the giants have” - who answered “10th” and Deion said ill be gone before that and left the interview

Getting back to the original question...What would I do if I was KM? I would buy a yacht tomorrow.

#1 pick. ~$35M guaranteed, including ~$24M signing bonus. I'd say he made the right choice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT