ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Olympics

I found this statement on the internet which tends to explain the decline of olympic boxing during television programming.

"As an entertainment spectacle, the Olympics brand is stronger among women than men: 51 percent of women said they “love to watch the Olympics,” compared to only 41 percent of men."

Then all men's sports should have shown a similar decline. That's not the case.

Don't they have a dedicated network (maybe CNBC) for JUST boxing? Like pretty much every, single match?

BTW - you know what's GREAT about The Olympics? NO DUDES POSING AS WOMEN!!!

Reactions: newell138
The day of the 1976 boxing finals was one of my all-time favorite sporting events. The Cuban boxers were heavily favored to win the most gold medals on that day. Leon Spinx and Sugar Ray Leonard faced two Cuban boxers who knocked out all of their opponents in the early rounds. Leon knocked his opponent out and Sugar Ray scored a lop sided victory. An untested Michael Spinx, who advanced mostly on boycotts of I think African boxers, scored a TKO over a former Russian champion. The only major blemish was Cuban Teofilo Stephenson who knocked out John Tate. Most of these fights can be found on Youtube if you are interested.
I was at a boxing session in Montreal I. 1976, saw Howard Davis, Michael Spinks, and Clint Jackson, at least that’s what remember. The place was going crazy shouting the USA chant and at least one of the US boxers beat the hell out of a Russian.

I’ll be in Canada (Canadian Rockies) this year during the Olympic. Probably won’t be indoors to watch much, but interested to see the Canadian broadcast.

Last edited:
Don't they have a dedicated network (maybe CNBC) for JUST boxing? Like pretty much every, single match?

BTW - you know what's GREAT about The Olympics? NO DUDES POSING AS WOMEN!!!
"BTW - you know what's GREAT about The Olympics? NO DUDES POSING AS WOMEN!!!"

LOL, Ask and ye shall receive

Nikki Hiltz ran the second fastest time ever of any American in the women’s 1500-meter race at the U.S. Olympic Trials Sunday, qualifying for the 2024 Olympic Games in Paris.
Ha Ha Ha Lol GIF by Lucas and Friends by RV AppStudios

( Sorry nuts, just think you put a jinx on the issue by mentioning it)

Nikki Hiltz ran the second fastest time ever of any American in the women’s 1500-meter race at the U.S. Olympic Trials Sunday, qualifying for the 2024 Olympic Games in Paris.

Hmmmm…lol…Maybe it was just swimming?

Hiltz is a woman. Just because she says she’s non binary or whatever and cuts her hair like a little boy doesn’t mean she’s still not female

Reactions: RUBOB72
I found this statement on the internet which tends to explain the decline of olympic boxing during television programming.

"As an entertainment spectacle, the Olympics brand is stronger among women than men: 51 percent of women said they “love to watch the Olympics,” compared to only 41 percent of men."

Women are verbal and open to "narratives" that give them "feels."
The media, NFL and politicians learned that a long time ago.
The Olympics are the best at sports narratives

Women are verbal and open to "narratives" that give them "feels."
The media, NFL and politicians learned that a long time ago.
The Olympics are the best at sports narratives

I can't disagree. That's why soap operas, Hallmark and Lifetime, etc channels are so huge with female viewership.

About 12 years ago, I watched a portion of the Olympics with my wife. Most of the programming involved women's gymnastics while boxing was treated as an after thought even if the fight involved a U.S. boxer. I think boxing was shown on some sort of late night replay of the games, and not during prime time.
I think a large part of it is tv shows what we are good at. The women's gymnastic wins so they show that. They are not going to show sports we stink at.

Reactions: robcac26
I think a large part of it is tv shows what we are good at. The women's gymnastic wins so they show that. They are not going to show sports we stink at.
US TV sucks at the Olympics. Every foreigner agrees. ABC was probably better than NBC has become, but then you have to consider how giant corporations control everything these days.. both the TV networks and the advertising dollars.

US TV sucks at the Olympics. Every foreigner agrees. ABC was probably better than NBC has become, but then you have to consider how giant corporations control everything these days.. both the TV networks and the advertising dollars.
Watch via DVR and fast forward through the fluff.

This is what I do also. I agree, the TV coverage is a lot of fluff to draw out the coverage, but if they just televised more sports it would do the same.
That's the problem.. the fluff takes so much time and resources.. often produced and packaged up before the events start.. but the time they are broadcast and talked about and introduced is time that should be used to show events.. even events not being participated in by Americans but by world class athletes with their own stories (which I don't mind mentioned but don't care to be watching mini-documentaries about while they could be showing me stuff going on at the Olympics venues.. even if it is live fan interviews at the Olympics sites.. make me feel like I am there.

Can you imagine if they treated the NFL like they do the Olympics? Cut from one game for a mini-documentary while action is going on we could be watching? You almost get that sometimes during Rutgers broadcasts where the announcers are busy chatting about godknowswhat while plays are going on.

Reactions: RAHWAYBOB
it may be because thats where i saw my first Olympics but agree, alot of good memories of abc doing winter and summer Olympics and never been a fan since the switch to nbc...didnt like Costas

Hmmmm…lol…Maybe it was just swimming?
guess I laughed and didn't know what I was laughing about..
So the laughing should be directed towards me
Won't blame the article, will blame myself for not checking out my claim thoroughly
Thanks to newell I checked her out and found this
>Hiltz is a biological female who describes herself as "gender-fluid." The track athlete came out as transgender in 2021, but said her gender fluctuates daily. "Hi I'm Nikki and I'm transgender. That means I don't identify with the gender I was assigned at birth<

So "BTW - you know what's GREAT about The Olympics? NO DUDES POSING AS WOMEN!!! " holds true

The Olympics coverage goes bonkers with the “parents in the stands” stuff. A bit is OK I guess (my wife watches). But does anyone really care what Michael Phelps mother had for breakfast???

The Olympics coverage goes bonkers with the “parents in the stands” stuff. A bit is OK I guess (my wife watches). But does anyone really care what Michael Phelps mother had for breakfast???
Only as a way of establishing place and time.. bring the scene to TV viewers. But once you use a relative of an athlete rather than a professional communicator (are there any more employed in media?).. you waste viewers time having to ask questions about the athlete.

Some people think Simon Biles traitorously let down the whole team and nation... but I think of the waste of time in the broadcast and in the teaser ads for the olympics.. only to have her drop like that. Just highlights my issue with the broadcasts all too well.

I was at a boxing session in Montreal I. 1976, saw Howard Davis, Michael Spinks, and Clint Jackson, at least that’s what remember. The place was going crazy shouting the USA chant and at least one of the US boxers beat the hell out of a Russian.

I’ll be in Canada (Canadian Rockies) this year during the Olympic. Probably won’t be indoors to watch much, but interested to see the Canadian broadcast. The Olympics be damned!
And I’ll be on the opposite coast, Prince Edward Island, sitting on the beach eating lobster, clams and going deep sea fishing with 18 family members! Life is good

Reactions: charliem24
If i's on, I'll watch....regardless of sport.....so much to take in, learn about, etc, and there's always a chance a local is competing as well (like Dubrovich in fencing....)!!!
This ^^^

TV or streaming will be tuned to Olympics no matter if it's just background noise or muted at the time. I never know what sport may catch my fancy. But it's sports, the thrill of competition and it's better than any of the garbage programs they have out there.

Reactions: Plum Street

Reminds me of those torturous Sweeny Murti segments on WFAN. He was practically counting the marshmallows in players Lucky Charms.

As another thread reported - Olympics are more popular with women than men. The in-depth narrative stuff is a reason why. I don't care if am athlete overcame elephantiasis and leprosy as a 10 yr old but that stuff is what producers churn for a month. Women respond to it.

guess I laughed and didn't know what I was laughing about..
So the laughing should be directed towards me
Won't blame the article, will blame myself for not checking out my claim thoroughly
Thanks to newell I checked her out and found this
>Hiltz is a biological female who describes herself as "gender-fluid." The track athlete came out as transgender in 2021, but said her gender fluctuates daily. "Hi I'm Nikki and I'm transgender. That means I don't identify with the gender I was assigned at birth<

So "BTW - you know what's GREAT about The Olympics? NO DUDES POSING AS WOMEN!!! " holds true
In other words psychologically disturbed and damaged.

It's not only extremely irritating only getting parts of a competition rather than the whole event, but it's also pretty predictable. If they're showing a majority of an event in primetime, it's usually a pretty good bet that USA won gold. Olympic hockey is probably my favorite sporting event, but it's so tiresome to have to listen to the Miracle on Ice references every four years. Since I don't have a TV subscription anymore, I'll be watching via online streams and am interested to see how much different the foreign broadcasts are. Hopefully I'll get more of the actual sport of it and not just side stories and USA cheerleading fluff.

As for my favorite events--I like watching water polo, volleyball, and handball, but if I have downtime I'll put on whatever event is on.

I definitely will watch. I was involved with swimming for a long time. Cool thing during the swimming trials. Watching the men's 100 breast final, someone my daughter swam with came up on the blocks and won the damn thing to qualify for the olympics. Swim team tryout attendance jumps dramatically after each olympics.

I'm disappointed Trenton's own Athing Mu won't be defending her gold medal, but I'll still tune in here & there. My wife & MIL will watch whenever they can.

Reactions: rubaseball78
Once it became a politically partisan event I lost all interest. Probably won’t watch a minute of it this year. Used to be one of my favorite sporting events.

In other words psychologically disturbed and damaged.
for you maybe, everyone to their own interpretation.
I was just accepting the fact that I was wrong when I replied to nuts and thanking the poster that proved it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT