ADVERTISEMENT

OT-ish: Fantastic Cover of Neil Young's "Old Man" by Beck - and Great Use of it in NBC Promo for Mahomes/Brady Battle...

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
One of my all-time favorite songs by one of my all-time favorite artists, covered by another one of my all-time favorite artists. Brilliant song, stunning cover, and I rarely say this, but a beautifully done promo on NBC the other night weaving together shots of the young buck (Mahomes) and the Old Man (Brady). Worth a listen to the whole cover and a watch of the promo. Both are great live artists, too.

One of my all-time favorite songs by one of my all-time favorite artists, covered by another one of my all-time favorite artists. Brilliant song, stunning cover, and I rarely say this, but a beautifully done promo on NBC the other night weaving together shots of the young buck (Mahomes) and the Old Man (Brady). Worth a listen to the whole cover and a watch of the promo. Both are great live artists, too.

Saw it. Loved it. We are of one mind when it comes to music.

Reactions: RU848789
Of course, Neil has weighed in in disapproving fashion, which is not surprising - not with regard to the song, per se, but with respect to its use to promote the NFL. He's always had a strong anti-corporate ethos, but perhaps he should have thought more about that when he sold half of his song catalog to Hipgnosis a year ago. Seems a bit petty to me - have a hard time imagining he doesn't actually like the cover.

https://pitchfork.com/news/neil-young-appears-to-rebuke-beck-nfl-sponsored-old-man-cover/

That was great. Your right. You can't complain when the songs you sell become used in advertising. Why would you think they wouldn't be? That is why they paid you so much.

Of course, Neil has weighed in in disapproving fashion, which is not surprising - not with regard to the song, per se, but with respect to its use to promote the NFL. He's always had a strong anti-corporate ethos, but perhaps he should have thought more about that when he sold half of his song catalog to Hipgnosis a year ago. Seems a bit petty to me - have a hard time imagining he doesn't actually like the cover.

https://pitchfork.com/news/neil-young-appears-to-rebuke-beck-nfl-sponsored-old-man-cover/
I agree with all this.

Heard it last night and enjoyed it. Glad to listen to Beck cover one of the artists I used to enjoy immensely …. however, I lost all respect for the original artist after his ridiculous stance on Spotify earlier this year….. supporting the censorship of a content creator. Just another entertainer who thinks the world gives a shxt about what he thinks

Reactions: bac2therac

Anti-corporate but let me sellout for huge $$$. These guys make me laugh. That said, he’s a great artist and I love his music

If another artist was going to cover that song, it needed to be him. Just a great idea.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT