ADVERTISEMENT

OT-ish: Huge scandal, D1 assistants + shoe company (Adidas) reps arrested

Louisville has been named now as well. I'm hoping we're to new to adidas to be caught in this.

ADS.GR Adidas director of sports marketing for basketball James Gatto among those charged in NCAA kickback scheme -- court filings (€190.30 -€2.45)

• According to Business Insider and the criminal complaint filed the Justice Department (and linked below), James Gatto, Adidas's director of global sports marketing for basketball, was among the people charged in the DoJ's investigation into alleged bribery/corruption at several major US college basketball schools
    • Note the WSJ reported earlier that executives at a sports apparel company were expected to be charged, but did not disclose which company
  • The DoJ will also be holding a press release at 12:00ET to discuss the charges

Please let UNC be involved!!!!!!!!!!!!! Because they are about to get off on carrying players for two decades who couldn't read to win championships because "its not an athletic issue for the NCAA to handle."

Relax Babbs.

Babbs?

AnimalHouse_220Pyxurz.jpg

Dan Wentzel was just on Dan Patrick. Says its a lot bigger than the 4 reported and apparently a big name coach is involved.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Dan Wentzel was just on Dan Patrick. Says its a lot bigger than the 4 reported and apparently a big name coach is involved.
Totally. No way all these school involved and not one big HC is named. These HCs are amazing at insulating themselves, but they aren't that good. Some big coach has to be involved.

https://sports.yahoo.com/fbi-probe-...ndal-snaring-big-time-programs-144631716.html

The indictments suggest a mountain of evidence, from recordings, written communications, corroborating testimony, financial data footprints and the undercover FBI agent.

The defendants are all legally presumed innocent until proven guilty. None could be immediately reached for comment.

College basketball has dealt with suspicions of widespread corruption for generations. It’s long operated on a public relations campaign that suggests there are a few bad apples but most schools and recruits are clean.

That will struggle to survive after the federal government got involved in investigating the sport like never before.

So ... here is a quote from the AP:

"According to indictments unsealed in federal court on Tuesday, the four coaches involved are Auburn assistant coach Chuck Person, Southern California assistant Tony Bland, Arizona assistant Emanuel Richardson and Oklahoma State assistant Lamont Evans."

Richardson is a BIG TIME assistant - known as "Book" Richardson, and also was head coach of the U16 AAU NY Gauchos for several years. There were times RU was supposedly in the running to hire him as a top assistant - known as one of the best recruiting assistants in college ... guess we may now have confirmation how he does it, eh?

Chuck Person: Former NBA star.

Evans and Bland have also been considered very high level recruiters.

I don't follow recruiting for either major sport and even I realize this crap goes on with all the things alluded to from other posters here. I think it's good if it helps clean up the sport a little at least or at least scares others to think twice maybe. I don't know if I'm just being naive. It can't be just Adidas though right? Nike, UnderArmor must all do this whether they're caught up in this one though I don't know.

Sounds like the big fish could be Pitino and a recruit named Brian Bowen. I saw this on Twitter referring to the recruit and how he he was "lucky."

"We got lucky on this one," Pitino told Terry Meiners of News Radio 840. "I had an AAU director call me and ask me if I'd be interested in a player (Bowen). I saw him against another great player from Indiana. I said 'Yeah, I'd be really interested.' They had to come in unofficially, pay for their hotel, pay for their meals. We spent zero dollars recruiting a five-star athlete who I loved when I say him play. In my 40 years of coaching this is the luckiest I've been."

Possible cash payments to players/recruits at Auburn?

No wayyyy!

[Insert Dumb & Dumber 'man on moon' meme here]

Reactions: ScarletDave
Has been going on for years. Nike, Adidas and Reebok used to have so many bag men hitting the AAU circuit they outnumbered parents in the crowd.

Recruiting is an ugly game. Funny how these assistants are working for head guys that learned from the masters. Hearing huge names are involved!! Huge as in 2 of the biggest. Cal and Pitino have their fingerprints on many of these interactions.

Has been going on for years. Nike, Adidas and Reebok used to have so many bag men hitting the AAU circuit they outnumbered parents in the crowd.

Recruiting is an ugly game. Funny how these assistants are working for head guys that learned from the masters. Hearing huge names are involved!! Huge as in 2 of the biggest. Cal and Pitino have their fingerprints on many of these interactions.
I was wondering about Calipari. They mention public research university in Kentucky but most are assuming that's Pitino and Louisville, gotta wonder about Calipari and his never ending stream of one and dones.

Really I would like to see some of the more "high brow" blue bloods (Duke, UNC, types) get caught but I'm not holding my breath.

I do wonder what the lasting effects will be. Will it change anything or will there just be "temporary freeze" and then everything just goes back to the way it was.

I was wondering about Calipari. They mention public research university in Kentucky but most are assuming that's Pitino and Louisville, gotta wonder about Calipari and his never ending stream of one and dones.

Really I would like to see some of the more "high brow" blue bloods (Duke, UNC, types) get caught but I'm not holding my breath.

I do wonder what the lasting effects will be. Will it change anything or will there just be "temporary freeze" and then everything just goes back to the way it was.
Pitino and Louisville are definitely involved.

https://www.chatsports.com/ncaa/a/f...ruption-scheme-louisville-also-indicted-35572

Miller at Arizona was one of Cals coups at PITT when he was an assistant there. There was no secret that the Miller family was on the take, Sean didn't take Richardson to be an academic advisor on his staff. The Miller's both Sean and Archie will have their names dragged into this rather quickly.

Pitino and Louisville are definitely involved.

https://www.chatsports.com/ncaa/a/f...ruption-scheme-louisville-also-indicted-35572

Miller at Arizona was one of Cals coups at PITT when he was an assistant there. There was no secret that the Miller family was on the take, Sean didn't take Richardson to be an academic advisor on his staff. The Miller's both Sean and Archie will have their names dragged into this rather quickly.
I was reading it's was like a 3 year investigation with undercover agent and all. Wonder how deep it runs on how many will get caught up in it.

I was just listening to a Jay Bilas clip online and he was like this is an unusual situation and how typically you thinking of the dirtiness of recruiting with just some nominal payment to a player to attend some school but this whole scheme with agents, shoe companies, coaches etc..is unusual. Really? I'm just about as moronic and uninformed about recruiting as one can be who's a fan and even I know this crap goes on at that level. So disingenuous of him, big surprise. I'd love to see his alma mater get whacked but I doubt it.

I was reading it's was like a 3 year investigation with undercover agent and all. Wonder how deep it runs on how many will get caught up in it.

I was just listening to a Jay Bilas clip online and he was like this is an unusual situation and how typically you thinking of the dirtiness of recruiting with just some nominal payment to a player to attend some school but this whole scheme with agents, shoe companies, coaches etc..is unusual. Really? I'm just about as moronic and uninformed about recruiting as one can be who's a fan and even I know this crap goes on at that level. So disingenuous of him, big surprise. I'd love to see his alma mater get whacked but I doubt it.
Bilas is a blowhard. He knows that this will more than likely blow the cover off of his precious blue blood basketball pedigree. UNC DUKE Kentucky etc... may not be named in this investigation by name but they are the dirtiest of the bunch.

So I guess providing potential recruits with prostitutes wasn't enough to get them to commit to Louisville? Had to funnel $100,000 to the kids parents to seal the deal? Louisville better be careful. They might get a slap on the wrist from NCAA if they keep this stuff up.

What does a school need to do to get the death penalty?

So I guess providing potential recruits with prostitutes wasn't enough to get them to commit to Louisville? Had to funnel $100,000 to the kids parents to seal the deal? Louisville better be careful. They might get a slap on the wrist from NCAA if they keep this stuff up.

Louisville was not involved in the funneling..which is why they aren't named in the charges.

They were however obviously aware of the deal...very complex case.

hookers, 100k in cash, play on tv, and get tons of free stuff....hell I wanna go to Louisville.

My buddy coaches at the HS level in NJ and said they pay for kids to come to their schools, much smaller sums but yea the whole industry is a mess

Is it just Addidas related?

As per the FBI..yes. Only a rep from ADIDAS broke the law.

As per the NCAA..it appears a rep from another shoe company may have broken the rules. But didn't break the law.

So as of now it's just ADIDAS related.

Reactions: RURM85
I don't follow recruiting for either major sport and even I realize this crap goes on with all the things alluded to from other posters here. I think it's good if it helps clean up the sport a little at least or at least scares others to think twice maybe. I don't know if I'm just being naive. It can't be just Adidas though right? Nike, UnderArmor must all do this whether they're caught up in this one though I don't know.

Sounds like the big fish could be Pitino and a recruit named Brian Bowen. I saw this on Twitter referring to the recruit and how he he was "lucky."

"We got lucky on this one," Pitino told Terry Meiners of News Radio 840. "I had an AAU director call me and ask me if I'd be interested in a player (Bowen). I saw him against another great player from Indiana. I said 'Yeah, I'd be really interested.' They had to come in unofficially, pay for their hotel, pay for their meals. We spent zero dollars recruiting a five-star athlete who I loved when I say him play. In my 40 years of coaching this is the luckiest I've been."
Did he say this with a straight face?

Reactions: rutgersguy1

As per the NCAA..it appears a rep from another shoe company may have broken the rules. But didn't break the law.

Yes, although on pg. 22 of the court document, Player-10's family is saying Adidas originally agreed to pay a certain number to Player-10 but that a "rival athletic apparel company" was offering a higher amount.

Have a feeling they could dig up dirt on this for years to come, extending across all athletic apparel companies.

According to a lot of verified accounts and speculation of dates/commitment time frames Jahvon Quinerly of Hudson Catholic(5* PG) was given $15k to commit. Appears his amateur career is over.

Edit: also saw a rep associated with or previously associated with Nike along with agents. No one is coming out clean. Also 1 addidas rep having something to do with this has ZERO ramifications on us or the image of us being associated with Adidas imo, no one gives a f*ck. This is the beast that is NCAA bball.

For now yes but the investigation is still ongoing and it also depends on how aggressive they want to be. I think this US attorney is the interim one who took over from Preet Bharara (Chuck Rhodes position if you watch Billions :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) so maybe he'll want to make a name for himself a little with this and get the position permanently.

I'm sure Nike/UA also have their hands dirty. Whether they're caught or not is another story but while it's an ongoing investigation and with the feds still fishing around that's always a possibility.

These are some quotes from Kim.

"It's better for you to call us than us to call you when we are ready to charge you,”

“Our investigation is ongoing and we are conducting additional interviews as we speak,” said an FBI official at the press conference. Kim also encouraged additional witnesses to come forward. “Today’s arrests should be considered a warning to others…We have your playbook.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT