ADVERTISEMENT

OT-ish: Huge scandal, D1 assistants + shoe company (Adidas) reps arrested

I'm wondering just how much will come out about how the AAU is in bed with shoe companies when it comes to recruiting ( paying them or family) HS talent to go to some College basketball programs.

Reactions: miketd1
Please let UNC be involved!!!!!!!!!!!!! Because they are about to get off on carrying players for two decades who couldn't read to win championships because "its not an athletic issue for the NCAA to handle."
I would not be surprised if the NCAA is somehow involved in this mess.

If they were to uncover all the corruption, bag men, no-show jobs, tampering, etc., how many NCAA champions would be left over the last 20-30 years?

Looks like Bruce Pearl and Sean Miller are going into hiding. I'm still surprised someone as smarmy as Calipari was able to bypass this first wave. Hopefully, there's a 2nd, 3rd and 4th wave that get some of these blue bloods that are likely just as dirty.

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account@JonRothstein 9m9 minutes ago
Arizona has postponed its team media day --- slated for Wednesday --- and Auburn has cancelled its Wednesday press conference, per release.

RUC

The difference here is the NCAA has no subpoena power------small staff and a limited budget.

Not so with the FBI.

This is a case of something the FBI walked into when looking for something else.

Guys will not keep their mouths shut trying to make deals and there will be some kids who's careers end because they and their families took money they had no biz taking but they needed.

Just like guys have been taking it for years.

A black eye for the sport no doubt------but there will be more players who are casualties than coaches in this thing IMO.

The "cooperating witness" is an investment manager caught investing client's money without clients' permission, and has apparently been cooperating with the FBI for a while.

See this quote from an ESPN article:

"Louis Martin "Marty" Blazer III, a former Pittsburgh financial adviser who was accused of stealing $2.35 million from five clients by the Securities and Exchange Commission, was the cooperating witness who helped the FBI in its investigation of the basketball coaches and other defendants, according to U.S. Department of Justice documents obtained by ESPN.

Blazer, who founded Blazer Capital Management, was accused of investing money into movies and entertainment ventures without his clients' knowledge between 2010 and 2012. As part of his plea agreement with the U.S. Attorney's office, Blazer agreed to plead guilty to securities fraud, aggravated identity theft, false statements and documents and two counts of wire fraud, according to the Sept. 19 cooperation agreement.

Among other charges, Blazer was accused of "a scheme to commit wire fraud in or about 2000 through in or about 2013 by making payments and loans to NCAA athletes in order to induce the student-athletes to retain the defendant as a financial advisor and/or business manager."

He has certainly been cooperating since 2015 - maybe earlier. He also brings "knowledge" of payments and loans to student athletes for a longer time period - from 2000 to 2013, according to the above excerpt.

The link to the whole article: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...asketball-coaches-10-charged-fraud-corruption.

Would not be surprised to see a lot more. ANYONE who had ANY conversation with Blazer since 2015, at least, has to be worrying now. This reminds me of the Boesky situation: He was a "cooperating witness" for 18 months, I think, before it came public. I was at a tiny little irrelevant investment company, who ended up NOT implicated, but the 2 principals of the firm were friendly with Boesky, and talked to him frequently, and were terrified after it became public that Boesky - with the SEC or the BY DA office (cannot remember which group) was taping all his conversations.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Looks like Bruce Pearl and Sean Miller are going into hiding. I'm still surprised someone as smarmy as Calipari was able to bypass this first wave. Hopefully, there's a 2nd, 3rd and 4th wave that get some of these blue bloods that are likely just as dirty.

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account@JonRothstein 9m9 minutes ago
Arizona has postponed its team media day --- slated for Wednesday --- and Auburn has cancelled its Wednesday press conference, per release.
He's italian, we don't deal with wires, we show up with a bag. How ****ing dumb are these guys to wire money? Do they have anything between their ears? And how does Jahvon Quinerly only cost $15k!!!! I would've showed up with an untracable bag for 20!

Jay Williams chimes in.....Hmmmmm. Very interesting that he is complaining how the system is broken. Who's next....Lance Thomas and his $100k in Gold and Diamonds.

Reactions: FlintTown
Jay Williams chimes in.....Hmmmmm. Very interesting that he is complaining how the system is broken. Who's next....Lance Thomas and his $100k in Gold and Diamonds.

You mean the Jay Williams whose family received a below-market mortgage from a mortgage lender run by a Duke alumnus, or whose father get a 6-figure no-show job at a company owned by a Duke alumnus?

Next time they take a knee during the National Anthem they better be praying for some assistance.

Also hearing tomorrow big news coming from Louisville. Message board folks are guessing the end of the Pitino era and/or AD TJ. - Tweet from Jason Riley

Also hearing tomorrow big news coming from Louisville. Message board folks are guessing the end of the Pitino era and/or AD TJ.
Whether it's tomorrow or later, I don't see how either of them survive this.

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account@JonRothstein 8m8 minutes ago
Rick Pitino has released a statement, per his attorney.

DKr14xVVAAAORj_.jpg

0 replies5 retweets2 likes

This scandal really highlights the hypocrisy of the system and what happens when you put a lid on a market - a black market develops. The only way this will ever stop is when players are openly paid.

Last edited:
The best part about the entire investigation is that the FBI never informed the NCAA.

That, and the people arrested were probably thinking the worst that would happen to them was NCAA sanctions. I'm sure they never thought the FBI would get involved or that they'd face prison terms.

The best part about the entire investigation is that the FBI never informed the NCAA.
I'm hoping this scares the crap out of the NCAA, and they come down hard on UNC. Glad we got our penalty figured out in time.

I'm hoping this scares the crap out of the NCAA, and they come down hard on UNC. Glad we got our penalty figured out in time.

The NCAA knows how its bread is buttered, and that's by winning programs staying winning programs. This won't change their enforcement mentality. If anything, the feds have shown they will step in for the most serious violations that also break the law so the NCAA can sit back and defer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT