ADVERTISEMENT

OT-ish: Huge scandal, D1 assistants + shoe company (Adidas) reps arrested

Lol @ Pitino's statement. If you read the report they say that Gatto spoke to someone using a cell phone associated with Pitino multiple times immediately before Bowens commited in early June.

Reactions: Ray6232010
Keep seeing that "the universities were not implicated" ... huh?

how is this not a case of "failure to maintain an atmosphere of compliance" ???

Can they arrest all of the uncles and advisors too? We'll be sitting pretty with those guys out of the way.

Reactions: Caliknight
Phil

My impression of people I've met in my lifetime either athletically or in the business world who have their hands out is that there's always someone they can find who's a willing partner.

To me this all starts with AAU basketball and all the pond scum that is involved with this operation. I think Bernie Madoff ran a more legal organization.

Reactions: Caliknight
That would be a NCAA issue not a criminal issue.

yes - but in a general reporting of the unfolding of events, statements to the effect that "no universities are implicated" keep being tossed out - and yes, FBI action has not been put in motion, but in the big picture - in the full discussion of college basketball - there most certainly should be NCAA action against those institutions that are culpable - if only through willful "gosh we are totally shocked" ignorance.

His lawyer should be more concerned in keeping his client out of jail. These are felonies. People will be doing some time in prison.
I don't know that any head coach would get their hands dirty enough to be charged with criminality. I agree with what was recorded on the tapes. Head coaches make too much money to take the risk.

My mind is the HC is like get me this guy or these players to his assistants and is aware of the winks and nods going on but beyond that how involved would they be, I tend to think not very unless they're stupid.

I don't know that any head coach would get their hands dirty enough to be charged with criminality. I agree with what was recorded on the tapes. Head coaches make too much money to take the risk.

My mind is the HC is like get me this guy or these players to his assistants and is aware of the winks and nods going on but beyond that how involved would they be, I tend to think not very unless they're stupid.
Pitino removed that layer when he publicly talked about Bowen and that he was the one that took the call from an AAU director.
Besides these assistants will be offered deals to implicate the HCs

Reactions: cicero grimes
yes - but in a general reporting of the unfolding of events, statements to the effect that "no universities are implicated" keep being tossed out - and yes, FBI action has not been put in motion, but in the big picture - in the full discussion of college basketball - there most certainly should be NCAA action against those institutions that are culpable - if only through willful "gosh we are totally shocked" ignorance.

But you mentioned "failure to maintain an atmosphere of compliance", that is an NCAA issue and the NCAA have not commented on the situation. The DOJ is not concerned with possible NCAA violations.

It's pretty incredible the number of conspiracies that surround Pitino without his knowledge. Crazy confluence of coincidences, I suppose. Surely the man himself couldn't be involved.

It's amazing he can even find his way to the gym.

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account@JonRothstein 8m8 minutes ago
Rick Pitino has released a statement, per his attorney.

DKr14xVVAAAORj_.jpg

0 replies5 retweets2 likes
The only coach in history who seems to know less about his program and his assistants was Joe Pa.

Jurich fired. Apperently so was Pitino. School set up 1pm news conference.

Pitino removed that layer when he publicly talked about Bowen and that he was the one that took the call from an AAU director.
Besides these assistants will be offered deals to implicate the HCs
This article is about a person in a similar situation back in 2000 who was prosecuted on unrelated charges and didn't rat on the whole scheme to have them reduced because of "his code." He actually does think some will flip because they are just coaches and I think wishes he did to because he was ostracized when he got out.

Besides that fact though a criminal defense attorney/former prosecutor they interviewed thought it's not a big deal compared to what these feds usually go after and while technically it could be a maximum 27-33 months, if found guilty a judge would more likely give out 6 months which could turn into just probation. He thinks that wouldn't be enough to flip anybody.

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-aau...ketball-scandal-will-flip-feds-034806204.html

How it was reported on CNBC along with Jay Williams phone interview. Its almost an 8 minute piece.. Jay Williams talks about his recruitment and how these things work with 501Cs and so on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarlet Blind
Why are you nervous???

Because Pikel seems to be doing a good job, getting this team to play hard and is bringing in recruits so, given that I've been an RU fan for over 30 years and I know we can't have nice things, it seems par for the course that we would get caught up in this mess somehow.

Because Pikel seems to be doing a good job, getting this team to play hard and is bringing in recruits so, given that I've been an RU fan for over 30 years and I know we can't have nice things, it seems par for the course that we would get caught up in this mess somehow.

200_s.gif

Pretty sure whenever the FBI decides to talk to anyone involved, they'll sing like canaries. These coaches aren't going to feel like they have some code to clam up.

Jurich fired. Apperently so was Pitino. School set up 1pm news conference.
Administrative leave. Unpaid for Pitino, paid for Jurich.

They may both ultimately be fired but Louisville has an interim president. I don't know if you wants to have the job permanently or if he only intends to be a placeholder until the school hires a president. It will be interesting to see how he handles the situation. He needs to name an interim AD he has already named an interim head coach for the men's basketball program.

Administrative leave. Unpaid for Pitino, paid for Jurich.

They may both ultimately be fired but Louisville has an interim president. I don't know if you wants to have the job permanently or if he only intends to be a placeholder until the school hires a president. It will be interesting to see how he handles the situation. He needs to name an interim AD he has already named an interim head coach for the men's basketball program.
They are both have fired. Their contracts do not allow an instant firing. But both have been told they wont be back. They are gone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT