ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Italian NYC Restaurant Recommendations

Anyone ever eat at rao’s or have any tips to get in ?
I have not but probably the best bet is to check into the plaza and have the concierge call for a reszy

your also gonna have to tip the concierge prob 150 bucks

Reactions: Jm0513
  • Haha
Reactions: Jm0513
eat the
Yes, John's of 12th, at 2nd Ave. Been there for 114 years. Episodes of Solenoid filmed there as well as Boardwalk Empire and part of the movie A Beautiful Mind. Better yet food is terrific. All the episodes of Boardwalk Empire the had Masseria was filed there. Great atmosphere
eat there often--several mafia hits in the long past--luciano hung out there--and by the way you can get vegan italian for those dairy impaired and now they take credit cards--food good but there are better but their history, etc is great and there actually was a short movie released about the place and owners who lived above the place and may still--go there and then to Venerios for desert on 11th

People are back in the city. Had business lunch and dinner yesterday and it was full for both. It was also the first time the best parking lot at the train station was full.

People are back in the city. Had business lunch and dinner yesterday and it was full for both. It was also the first time the best parking lot at the train station was full.
Yup, city is getting back, albeit not as fast as one would like. I

It’s been packed lately. I went to see Dear Evan Hansen a few weeks ago and lunch a few times… fun, fun!

Reactions: MadRU
Only people with body armor have the courage to go back.

Only people with body armor have the courage to go back.
You know I almost believed the media and my father lol. “Homeless, drugs, crime.. stay out of there!”…. It kept me away for some time. I didn’t see any of that in the areas I was in. Smelly, yes..but the city is popping! 😎
————————————————————————
@MadRU show was very good. Speaking of…how about that finale of CPD? Wow.

You know I almost believed the media and my father lol. “Homeless, drugs, crime.. stay out of there!”…. It kept me away for some time. I didn’t see any of that in the areas I was in. Smelly, yes..but the city is popping! 😎
————————————————————————
When does it come back on?

————————————————————————
Popping gun shots or people popping pills? LOL

City is doing fine.
Media reports are exaggerated

NYC is still one of the safest big cities in the country and world, but a lot of people suck down media reports that say otherwise despite living in the shadow of the city and seeing for themselves.

City is doing fine.
But the reports I get is from their own media. So you are saying the local channels are lying? Seems to me that would not be helping NYC recover from the big bad virus, does it?

But the reports I get is from their own media. So you are saying the local channels are lying? Seems to me that would not be helping NYC recover from the big bad virus, does it?
I just moved to Manhattan from jersey. Loving it. No issues with crime. City is vibrant.
I'm sure there are parts of the Bronx or a few sketchy neighborhoods that are bad but Manhattan is popping.
West village, tribeca, west chelsia, upper west. All beautiful.

Reactions: Skull83 and Jm0513
I just moved to Manhattan from jersey. Loving it. No issues with crime. City is vibrant.
I'm sure there are parts of the Bronx or a few sketchy neighborhoods that are bad but Manhattan is popping.
West village, tribeca, west chelsia, upper west. All beautiful.
Guns are the only thing "popping" according to the nyc media.

City is doing fine.
They most definitely were NOT "exaggerated" for a very, very long time. If ANYTHING the far-left media undersold what was going on, purposely, while it was happening right under their noses. As someone who lives across the river from the city, and spent a TON of time in the city for 2.5 decades, I can say that with 100% certainty. It's just very, VERY recently that things have started to change again. The city, thanks to BOTH the riots and the pandemic, was a freakin' ghost town for far too long, and it was damn creepy to be honest. The Hoboken/JC lots are FINALLY full again (like the city lots as @jtung230 mentioned), day and night, and the city is coming back, for sure, BUT it's still not what it once was prior to the mess that was NOT just about the "pandemic."

Anyway congrats on the move, enjoy!!

Last edited:
Reactions: RUsSKii
NYC always comes back from the brink. It will again this time. It was unique set of circumstances that led to the last couple of years of pain. Pandemic , George Floyd, Mayor DBag. Now that these forces are mostly over the natural order of thing will return.

There will always be crime in NYC the more that can be controlled the faster the city will come back.

Hole in the wall with excellent food.

Last edited:
NYC always comes back from the brink. It will again this time. It was unique set of circumstances that led to the last couple of years of pain. Pandemic , George Floyd, Mayor DBag. Now that these forces are mostly over the natural order of thing will return.

There will always be crime in NYC the more that can be controlled the faster the city will come back.
"crime" is one thing...blatant, I-don't-give-a-damn thefts, muggings, shootings, etc., prevalent with a Mayor/DA/prosecutors who couldn't care less, are an entirely different ball of wax. That one dude who was arrested 46 times for robbing Walmart, and let go every time until recently, told the press 2 things:

- "that's only the # of times they caught me" and
- "thank God they finally threw me in prison. It saved my life. What I was doing was too easy." (or something very similar).

Crazy.

So many in this country live in fear. Sad. NYC is, and always will be, one of the world’s greatest cities.
Just don’t go out after dark in NYC if you’re a visitor. European visitors during the Summer must be sitting ducks for the street criminals in NYC. And always take a car service.

Just don’t go out after dark in NYC if you’re a visitor. European visitors during the Summer must be sitting ducks for the street criminals in NYC. And always take a car service.
It will be interesting to see how that turns out this season of late July and August.

ones that I've tried and loved

Osteria Morini
Marea
Babbo
Sant Ambroeus
L'Artusi
La Pecora Bianca
Bocca
Basso56
Basta Pasta
Novita
these are the more authentic italian restaurants and i think most if not all have fresh made pasta.

There's also always the old favorite Carmines.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT