ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Italy travel recommendations

Been to Rome, Venice, Lake Como, Florence and Milan about 6 years ago. Get yourself a good Travel Agent who can place you in 3 and 4 star hotels at significant discounts. Most top hotels offer a free buffet breakfast which are outstanding. Remember: No need tip the wait staff at restaurants as they are paid a pretty good salary. (Admittedly, I succumbed to the strong tempation to tip because that's who I am.) I echo the tempation to get a good tour guide for the Coliseum, the Vatican. Venice and a Tuscany wine tour but do not book a tour for more than a few hours because it becomes a very long tour. One of the highlites was taking a tour in the wine country of Tuscany because they offer a free lunch of great Italian delicacies, along with the wine. We had a driver takes us to two wineries. The drive through the countryside of Tuscany was breathtaking. All the hotel accommodations and tours were set up in advance by our travel agent. We travelled from different cities by car service and train, which was also set up in advance. I would be more than happy to recommend my travel agent upon request.
I cave into the tipping thing in Belgium (France and the Netherlands too). No outside pressure at all, just who I have been my whole life. First thing I do after clearing customs is hit the ATM at the Airport near the train station. Only way to tip them is with cash as there isn't a tip line on anyone's bill.
What's Milan like? I'm targeting it for the Milan-San Remo cycle Spring Classic aka La Classicissima, next March.

Reactions: batts
If visiting the colosseum, do the underground tour where they bring you to the holding area for animals and prisoners. It will also bring you to the top.

If spending a few days near Sorrento, a day trip ferry to Capri is easy as is a visit to Pompeii. Take the 1st ferry to Capri and immediately get on that tram that takes you to the top. The crowds build quickly and you'll find yourself waiting on line just to get up the mountain unless your travelling group is young and in great shape and don't mind the uphill walk.

If you make it over to Bari on the Adriatic coast (we drove from Sorrento), check out Alberobello. It's a very interesting area with their buildings and plenty of places to eat/drink.

Reactions: Leonard23
Other random things...

- The Capuchin Crypt in Rome is very cool.
- Don't try to cram too much sightseeing in a day. Sitting at a cafe or outdoor restaurant and relaxing, taking the environment in is a lot of the charm of Italy.
- Reserve a time for your Vatican tour.
- Rome is pretty walkable if you're in decent shape. Just beware of the vespas zipping all over.
- The walk from the Vatican to Castel Sant'Angelo and then across the Ponte Sant'Angelo bridge is a great experience
- Depending on the time of year you go, Pompeii can be really really hot. There is no shade and tree cover there.
- Have lunch at one of the restaurants on the water in Positano
- Capri is really nice, but only worthwhile if you stay at least a night or two
- Town of Amalfi isn't worth the day trip visit. Just hang out in Positano.

And it should bear repeating. Don't try to do too much. I've been to Italy 5x and still have a lot to see/do.
Capuchin Crypt was cool. If i recall we did it after having lunch at the restaurant near the Coliseum. It was within walking distance.

Agree with don't cram too much in a day. When i went we did a ton of stuff, but we woke up early and went to bed late...... every third day we did something relaxing (like when we went to Cinque Terre on a train - sure we could have used 2 days there, but it was a relaxed day) Just don't try doing too much. I didn't do Sorrento or Pompeii (disappointed) when i was in the Amalfi coast, but we did many things.

A meal at a restaurant near the water in Positano was nice too.

If visiting the colosseum, do the underground tour where they bring you to the holding area for animals and prisoners. It will also bring you to the top.

If spending a few days near Sorrento, a day trip ferry to Capri is easy as is a visit to Pompeii. Take the 1st ferry to Capri and immediately get on that tram that takes you to the top. The crowds build quickly and you'll find yourself waiting on line just to get up the mountain unless your travelling group is young and in great shape and don't mind the uphill walk.

If you make it over to Bari on the Adriatic coast (we drove from Sorrento), check out Alberobello. It's a very interesting area with their buildings and plenty of places to eat/drink.
At the coliseum - we did the basic tour - we had a guide that was horrendous. We spent 20 minutes outside with him with other guides passing us- finally get inside and going on 20 minutes of this guy talking about nails or something used that were stolen for years because of the price of iron- It was so bad that it got suffocating...there were about 40 people in this group- guy is talking and my wife raises her hand- he stops and asks her what her question was - And only as my wife would "Are we required to stay with you? I am bored as hell and don't care about stolen nails- I want to see where the tigers were. Can we just leave and walk around on our own?" Our group went silent- and his response was that we did not have to stay with him- immediately, us and about half the group left. I wish I had an iphone back in those days so I could have recorded it- We ended up having 3 couple invite us for drinks after that.

• Haha
Interested in an Italy trip and this board always has great info. Any recommendations/tips for locations, hotels, sights/tours, restaurants, etc. and what to avoid. Leaning towards Rome, Venice, and Positano with visits to Capri, Sorrento, Naples, and maybe Pompeii over 8-10 days. Thanks.
That is a *lot* to do over 8-10 days. I would delete Venice; I enjoyed my trip there very much, but it is far north of the rest of your preferred destinations; it is a 3.5 hour train ride from Venice to Rome, and everything else you want is at least an hour south of Rome by train. When you are in Rome, a visit to the Vatican (which is out of town --something I never knew before I went to Italy) is well worth while. The advice to have a guide there is very sound. No matter where you go, please be on your guard for pickpockets, etc. When we were to Naples, our tour guide wouldn't let us out of her sight, but perhaps she was being overvigilant. Enjoy!!

Interested in an Italy trip and this board always has great info. Any recommendations/tips for locations, hotels, sights/tours, restaurants, etc. and what to avoid. Leaning towards Rome, Venice, and Positano with visits to Capri, Sorrento, Naples, and maybe Pompeii over 8-10 days. Thanks.
I would suggest that while Venice is nice you will be doing a lot of traveling g from Venice to Rome. You might consider Florence which has the Duomo, Bapistrt doors and both David’s. There are no cars allowed in town so you would have to walk. Rome is stunning and it is imperative for you to get reservations for the Vatican Musesm. Ra the Sistine Chapel. Go to the top of St. Peter’s the views are awesome.
Position is amazing and the beaches are stunning. Pompeii was awesome as well.
We did Sicily as a different trip and I would Highly Recommend.
There are no cars in the main cities in Florence and Rome. In Positano there is a one way road through the center of town. Not sure how you are getting around but we drove the first time. Trains are great but sometimes their schedule are less than ideal.

Will you be going in the summer? If so, I would recommend avoiding Venice. While all of Italy will be crowded, Venice and the Venetians will be at their worst at that time of year. My recommendation would be to go to Florence, as many have suggested above, with day trips to Siena and San Gimignano, and a day's wine-tasting tour in Tuscany, the region in which Florence is located.

Since your trip is a short one, I suggest that you focus on the Amalfi Peninsula, basing yourself in Sorrento. That will provide you easy access to Pompeii, Capri, the small city of Amalfi, and even to the ancient Greek temples at Paestum.

Italy is worth 3 months of one's time, not necessarily all at once. Sicily is great, as others have noted, Puglia is somewhat off the beaten path, at least for most Americans. The Cinque-terre is spectacular but not during high season, for the same reasons as Venice. The lakes in the north were mentioned. Among them, Como and Maggiore make for beautiful boat trips with stops at one or two of the charming towns.

Shoulder season can offer a nicer experience - late September and October. Crowds are much smaller during those periods and prices are a bit lower.

Have fun! Italy is one of the top 3 destinations in the world in terms of the number of visitors each year, and there are many reasons for that high ranking. The other two are Spain and France.

Reactions: Leonard23 and batts
Florence fits into your itinerary much better than Venice -- the train trip to Rome is half that from Venice. And, as a number of posters have said, Florence is wonderful. But again, you don't have much time on an 8-10 day trip.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
Just booked airfare Newark to Naples on July! We are focusing only on southern Italy. Figuring out itinerary but looking to hit Capri/Ischia, Positano, Pompeii, Sorrento, Almalfi, and anywhere else recommended in the area…

Not sure if we should rent a car or just take public transportation to get around. Looked into some agencies that set up the tours/transportation/hotels for you but not sure if worth the price vs setting things up ourselves…any suggestions welcome!

Will you be going in the summer? If so, I would recommend avoiding Venice. While all of Italy will be crowded, Venice and the Venetians will be at their worst at that time of year. My recommendation would be to go to Florence, as many have suggested above, with day trips to Siena and San Gimignano, and a day's wine-tasting tour in Tuscany, the region in which Florence is located.

I liked seeing At Mark's and walking in the piazza. I liked seeing the Grand Canal and Santa Maria della Salute. After that it was kind of like being at Disney World. Glad I saw it once but I would never go back.

Just booked airfare Newark to Naples on July! We are focusing only on southern Italy. Figuring out itinerary but looking to hit Capri/Ischia, Positano, Pompeii, Sorrento, Almalfi, and anywhere else recommended in the area…

Not sure if we should rent a car or just take public transportation to get around. Looked into some agencies that set up the tours/transportation/hotels for you but not sure if worth the price vs setting things up ourselves…any suggestions welcome!

are you planning to stay in hotels or AirBNB's or a mix? Just curious as I'm thinking of 8-9 days in Italy (or france) and was curious best accomodations

Since your trip is a short one, I suggest that you focus on the Amalfi Peninsula, basing yourself in Sorrento. That will provide you easy access to Pompeii, Capri, the small city of Amalfi, and even to the ancient Greek temples at Paestum.

Italy is worth 3 months of one's time, not necessarily all at once. Sicily is great, as others have noted, Puglia is somewhat off the beaten path, at least for most Americans. The Cinque-terre is spectacular but not during high season, for the same reasons as Venice. The lakes in the north were mentioned. Among them, Como and Maggiore make for beautiful boat trips with stops at one or two of the charming towns.

Shoulder season can offer a nicer experience - late September and October. Crowds are much smaller during those periods and prices are a bit lower.

Have fun! Italy is one of the top 3 destinations in the world in terms of the number of visitors each year, and there are many reasons for that high ranking. The other two are Spain and France.
Thanks. Looking at April, so we'll hit Venice and we want to jump around and see a bunch, but not too much. Amalfi Coast in April is mid-60s so it'll be nice but not super warm like June and July, so that's why we aren't focusing all of our time there. Why do you recommend Sorrento over Positano?

Timing of these trips are critical- 8-10 day...no way do I try to do more than 3 cities. And make sure they are all within a 2 hour train ride.
The trip I did with the current wife- We did the 3 cities and for 2 weeks- flew into Paris, from Paris, flew to Venice, Train from Venice to Rome and flew home out of Rome. If we tried to do that in 8-10 days, it would have been crazy. If we do it again- I think I would simplify it- have a home base city and be able to go to 2 other cities by train, no more than 2 hours.

The craziest I ever did was my first marriage in 1987 - We booked a European bus tour. Germany, Austria, Switzerland. 14 days but it was 8 cities. It was fun but crazy- days where you get up at 8am- breakfast and jump on the bus- drive 3-4 hours, stop for an afternoon at a city, get lunch and a couple hours to tour and back on the bus to arrive the next city at 7-8pm- dinner, sleep and either spend 1 more day or leave again in the morning.

Reactions: retired711
are you planning to stay in hotels or AirBNB's or a mix? Just curious as I'm thinking of 8-9 days in Italy (or france) and was curious best accomodations
Thinking hotels but open to anything really…only booked flights but nothing else yet. We are doing 8 days.

I liked seeing At Mark's and walking in the piazza. I liked seeing the Grand Canal and Santa Maria della Salute. After that it was kind of like being at Disney World. Glad I saw it once but I would never go back.
I understand how you feel. Did you see Florence? You might have the same view. Venice and Florence are truly outstanding for Renaissance art, but not everyone is into that.

I understand how you feel. Did you see Florence? You might have the same view. Venice and Florence are truly outstanding for Renaissance art, but not everyone is into that.

Yes I spent 3 days in Florence.
One day I left the group (they went to Pisa) and walked around by myself.
Art History was one of focal points during uni days .
I had a famous prof who was too good to miss.
I was able to stumble across things I knew from class (like Orsanmichele and Casa Buonarroti) and that was fun .

I remember haggling over the price of a sweater on Ponte Vecchio and the seller asked where I was from.
I said "America" and he grinned and was like "OK I know but where in America?"
I said "New York" and he said "I'm from New Jersey!"

Piazza della Signoria is a fav place of mine.
I recall seeing a lot of it in "A Room With a View."
I think of Florence as a bit crazy after seeing Calcio Storico

Yes I spent 3 days in Florence.
One day I left the group (they went to Pisa) and walked around by myself.
Art History was one of focal points during uni days .
I had a famous prof who was too good to miss.
I was able to stumble across things I knew from class (like Orsanmichele and Casa Buonarroti) and that was fun .

I remember haggling over the price of a sweater on Ponte Vecchio and the seller asked where I was from.
I said "America" and he grinned and was like "OK I know but where in America?"
I said "New York" and he said "I'm from New Jersey!"

Piazza della Signoria is a fav place of mine.
I recall seeing a lot of it in "A Room With a View."
I think of Florence as a bit crazy after seeing Calcio Storico
IMHO, you made the right choice by staying solo in Florence rather than going to Pisa. I don't have to tell you how many wonderful places there are in Florence to view first-rate art and architecture. If I were to go back to Italy, Florence would be my first choice.

IMHO, you made the right choice by staying solo in Florence rather than going to Pisa. I don't have to tell you how many wonderful places there are in Florence to view first-rate art and architecture. If I were to go back to Italy, Florence would be my first choice.

I forgot to mention that the best Chinese restaurant I ever ate in was next to the Arno.
I didn't see any Chinese staff but the Italian waiter could speak Mandarin and English along with Italian.

Rick Steves, the PBS travel show host, always said Italy was his favorite place

Thanks. Looking at April, so we'll hit Venice and we want to jump around and see a bunch, but not too much. Amalfi Coast in April is mid-60s so it'll be nice but not super warm like June and July, so that's why we aren't focusing all of our time there. Why do you recommend Sorrento over Positano?
April should be a very nice time of year for your trip.

I recommend Sorrento for easier access to Pompeii. But Positano is also a very beautiful place and it can be visited easily from Sorrento. I try to do fewer moves, as moving means taking your suitcase along each time. Fewer moves leave more time for exploring and more time for relaxing.

On unintentionally funny sight is several Carabinieri police officers crammed into a small patrol car.

Highly recommend any travel video on Italy by Mark Wolters.

Sorrento is a good base for visiting the cities and towns down the Amalfi coast. Venice to sorrento is a pretty serious hike, so whatever means of transport you want to take, assume that will be a full travel day without much sightseeing or relaxing.

If Venice is a must do for you, I concur with the others and consider Florence as the other place to visit. Trying to do more than those two in 8 days is a real stretch. 10 days you can prob throw in one more, but still a rushed trip with a lot of transit time between cities.

I recommend visiting the Cinque Terre towns. It was our favorite part... felt a little more authentic Italy and was beautiful.
Stayed a few nights in Monterosso, in a hotel that was embedded in the cliffside. Drove in from La Spezia. Nice base to explore the other towns perched along the cliffs overlooking the sea. Train strike limited access to other towns. But hiked to Vernazza one day, had a great lunch, then took a boat back to Monterosso.

Loved Pompeii! Did not like the cliffside walk at Cinque Terre (I hate heights.). Florence, Venice are amazing. Naples not so much.
Cinque Terre hiking between villages is terrific. Those little monorail contraptions to harvest lemons growing on the cliffs are a marvel, as is the Limoncino/Limoncello. Seafood and pasta and vino meals were splendido.

Edit: pretty ingenious.... They have netting set up. So shaken lemon trees drop the fruit into the nets. Nets are emptied into crates on the monorail, which transports the harvest to a main collection point.

Last edited:
Cinque Terre hiking between villages is terrific. Those little monorail contraptions to harvest lemons growing on the cliffs are a marvel, as is the Limoncino/Limoncello. Seafood and pasta and vino meals were splendido.

Edit: pretty ingenious.... They have netting set up. So shaken lemon trees drop the fruit into the nets. Nets are emptied into crates on the monorail, which transports the harvest to a main collection point.
I was there about 15 years ago, so things may have changed. There are parts of the trails that are gorgeous (the towns are all gorgeous), and pose no safety threat. But we also walked up mountainside stone steps with only a hand wire rope type thing in the mountain for safety. I bailed at that point. Maybe they've improved that.

Reactions: RUinPinehurst
Sorrento is a good base for visiting the cities and towns down the Amalfi coast. Venice to sorrento is a pretty serious hike, so whatever means of transport you want to take, assume that will be a full travel day without much sightseeing or relaxing.

If Venice is a must do for you, I concur with the others and consider Florence as the other place to visit. Trying to do more than those two in 8 days is a real stretch. 10 days you can prob throw in one more, but still a rushed trip with a lot of transit time between cities.
You're right. I was on a group tour that did Venice, Florence and Rome in about ten days with a side trip to Pompeii. By the time I got used to one city, it was time to move to another. If I were to go again, I would spend much of my time in Florence and Tuscany with a few days in Venice. Like some other posters, I dislike having to pack repeatedly.

I am probably exceptional but I preferred Venice and Florence to Rome because the first two are much more compact. I think I would have liked Rome better if I had had more time to feel oriented --another argument for not trying to do too much in one trip.

The OP sounds like he wants to spend the majority of his 8-10 days south of Rome, so in his situation I would be inclined to leave Venice and Florence for another trip.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
I flew into naples this summer then did sorrento, capri, positano and did pompeii for a day trip.

1) spend as little time in naples as possible it is a shit hole and youll feel like youre in a 3rd world country, it is disgusting.

2) sorrento was my favorite. Honestly dont even plan anything just walk the alleys, sit down and eat and drink wherever. Funny enough the two best bars in sorrento are irish bars full of ex pats haha

3) pompeii you just need like 5 hours, train from sorrento

4) capri is stupid expensive, very nice place though. 2 nights MAX there. Its small

5) positano- music on the rock is really cool if youre into clubbing type stuff. Also, beach day clubs are cool here. The sand is veryyyyy hot here so wear sandals. Alot of steps. It was 500 steps to our airbnb, im a specimen so i carried two 50 and 75lbs luggages up those steps but not many are built like me. Get a porter. Awesome hike there too, gods path

Public transit is fine. Take the BUS from naples air port to the train station. Then train to sorrento and make that your first stop. From there you can ferry to capri, positano, amalfi, etc

Public transit is fine. Take the BUS from naples air port to the train station. Then train to sorrento and make that your first stop. From there you can ferry to capri, positano, amalfi, etc
I also agree that public transport is fine. If focusing on amalfi coast, you can base out of sorrento use the ferry. More convenient and scenic. The bus can be annoying.

Reactions: KK1827
I cave into the tipping thing in Belgium (France and the Netherlands too). No outside pressure at all, just who I have been my whole life. First thing I do after clearing customs is hit the ATM at the Airport near the train station. Only way to tip them is with cash as there isn't a tip line on anyone's bill.
What's Milan like? I'm targeting it for the Milan-San Remo cycle Spring Classic aka La Classicissima, next March.
Milan is a business/industrial center and the transportation hub for Northern Italy. Easy day trips to Lake Como, Garda Lake, Verona and Venice, Turin and Genoa, and Parma.

In city there is The Duomo (attended mass there), Sforza Castle and Santa Maria Della Grazia where Da Vinci’s Last Supper is featured. On the opposite wall is a fresco, The Crucifixion. The fresco was commissioned by the Sforza family and features their castle in the background and family members in the lower right foreground. Both were created in the mid-1490s. The fresco colors are still vibrant and apparently no retouched/repaired like The Last Supper. Schedule a private after-hours tour if possible which allows for a 45-60 viewing. Public day tours are crowded and last only 15 minutes.

There are few Roman ruins.

Lots of good restaurants can be found on the side streets. Milan is a fashion center as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteBus
Milan imo is not worth staying in. Florence and side trips from there definitely is. Someone said capri day trip is not worth it. I strongly disagree but only if you hire a guide. Rome imo see the history but that’s it and get out. Naples I agree with Kyk is a dump. Lugano is definitely worth a trip. Lake como is very nice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT