ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Italy travel recommendations

Just today was looking for flights for my 6th trip to Italy, 20-30 days in Sicily and Malta (may layover in Istanbul).

First, go to Amazon right now, and get Rick Steves book on Italy. Read It. It looks like a lot but it reads quicky as you can skip some towns and regions and dozens of pages on select hotels and restaurants in each city. The book includes passwords to his website, where you can download walking tours of churches, museums and towns (St Peters, central Rome walking tour, Pompeii, etc…). Best tip ever, how to NOT wait in the huge line at Saint Marks Basilica, worked at least twice for me, its in the book. I don’t use his book for hotels and restaurants anymore, but i do use it for areas to stay. I use ABNB for apartments or houses and Trip Advisor for restaurants. We spent 42 days in France Sep-Oct ’22. Booked 4 nights in Paris on Expedia before we left, nothing else. Used ABNB and found something the day before we moved on, in next place we were heading. Always found a Superhost, with a W/ Dryer in central old town area. I figured ABNB saved me $50/night over the life of that trip. Just got back from 22 days in Morocco using the same process.

Venice, what an amazing place, surreal, like Disneyland for adults. My favourite place in the world, been everytime I have traveled to Italy (about to end). My Italy trips have usually go from 12 – 24 days, so I get around. Venice, Verona, Florence, Sienna, San Gigimiano, Luca, Pisa, Rome, Naples, Capri, Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano, Catani. In Venice I like to stay in the area just behind the Basilica, last time we stayed at Locanda Casa Querini on a quiet square about 300 feet behind the Basilica, NO tourist (2016), quick walk to SM Sq.

Anywhere you go in ITaly will be great, although not a fan of dirty Naples, thought love Pompeii and Capri.

Get the Rick Steves book, by the end you will feel SO much more comfortable and knowledgeable about where your going and what you expect to see.

Just today was looking for flights for my 6th trip to Italy, 20-30 days in Sicily and Malta (may layover in Istanbul).

First, go to Amazon right now, and get Rick Steves book on Italy. Read It. It looks like a lot but it reads quicky as you can skip some towns and regions and dozens of pages on select hotels and restaurants in each city. The book includes passwords to his website, where you can download walking tours of churches, museums and towns (St Peters, central Rome walking tour, Pompeii, etc…). Best tip ever, how to NOT wait in the huge line at Saint Marks Basilica, worked at least twice for me, its in the book. I don’t use his book for hotels and restaurants anymore, but i do use it for areas to stay. I use ABNB for apartments or houses and Trip Advisor for restaurants. We spent 42 days in France Sep-Oct ’22. Booked 4 nights in Paris on Expedia before we left, nothing else. Used ABNB and found something the day before we moved on, in next place we were heading. Always found a Superhost, with a W/ Dryer in central old town area. I figured ABNB saved me $50/night over the life of that trip. Just got back from 22 days in Morocco using the same process.

Venice, what an amazing place, surreal, like Disneyland for adults. My favourite place in the world, been everytime I have traveled to Italy (about to end). My Italy trips have usually go from 12 – 24 days, so I get around. Venice, Verona, Florence, Sienna, San Gigimiano, Luca, Pisa, Rome, Naples, Capri, Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano, Catani. In Venice I like to stay in the area just behind the Basilica, last time we stayed at Locanda Casa Querini on a quiet square about 300 feet behind the Basilica, NO tourist (2016), quick walk to SM Sq.

Anywhere you go in ITaly will be great, although not a fan of dirty Naples, thought love Pompeii and Capri.

Get the Rick Steves book, by the end you will feel SO much more comfortable and knowledgeable about where your going and what you expect to see.
The Rick Steves' books are well worth reading. I thought the city book on Rome overly emphasized crime -- although I *would* be careful there. I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone to use a moneybelt.

The Rick Steves' books are well worth reading. I thought the city book on Rome overly emphasized crime -- although I *would* be careful there. I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone to use a moneybelt.
Yeah, i,m not sure whom he thinks his target audience is but he seems to over emphasizes crime. ‘Watch yourself at night in this neighborhood’, scares u away from places that are fine. Dont be overly drunk n stoopid flashing cash and youll be fine. Things are more dangerous going to walmart in the US.

Yeah, i,m not sure whom he thinks his target audience is but he seems to over emphasizes crime. ‘Watch yourself at night in this neighborhood’, scares u away from places that are fine. Dont be overly drunk n stoopid flashing cash and youll be fine. Things are more dangerous going to walmart in the US.
I think his primary audience is young solo travelers, many female. (You can see this from the commenters on his site.) They do need to be careful and to be cautioned against doing really stupid things, but I agree that he carries it too far.

I think his primary audience is young solo travelers, many female. (You can see this from the commenters on his site.) They do need to be careful and to be cautioned against doing really stupid things, but I agree that he carries it too far.
Like NYC, Europe isn't what it used to be (especially for women). I would trust Steves

I was just reading about a 13' Hercules bronze in Vatican that was restored to its original patina (the gilding was covered in wax for decades.

Check that patina

x2blmrA.jpeg

Most of the crime tips by Rick Steves and other world travel experts are about pickpockets and tourist scams and staying away from the skectchy areas that most tourists don't go near anyway. We don't have much of a pickpocketing problem in the US and those Americans new to world travel may not be used to or aware of pickpocketing. When i was in Santiago, Chile a few years ago I was warned repeatedly not to take their subway because of pickpockets. if someone wants something of value in the US you have, they just point a gun at you. In Europe, my clothes (and yep cargo shorts!) have zippered pockets. There's a reason men wear over-the-shoulder versions of fanny packs there.

Most of the crime tips by Rick Steves and other world travel experts are about pickpockets and tourist scams and staying away from the skectchy areas that most tourists don't go near anyway.

I remember being warned about pickpockets in Trevi Fountain area. I also remember seeing crippled kids being used as beggers in that spot

There's a reason men wear over-the-shoulder versions of fanny packs there.

In UK "fanny" is a slang term for female genitals. "Fanny pack" can gets some giggles in UK and its a reason they are sold as "lumbar" or waist packs these days. With Cockney rhyming slang the term "fanny" becomes "Jack and Danny" and is pretty common to hear

Last edited:
Has no body used Mr Italy Perillo tours.
Never done a canned tour. Seem to be twice as much and they rush u from one place to another. Looked at Morocco tours last year, think their average 12 day is $3500/pp. not including flights. They rush u thru 2-3 stops a day, 2 hrs here, 4 hrs there. We did 22 days last Oct. spent 2-3 days in each town, used ABnb, stayed in nice Ryads, we spent $4-5k all in, (flight w miles) really didnt bother to keep count, knew we were under budget. Used Lonely Planet book as a guide, as well as a couple of ‘travel morocco’ type FB pages i joined.

Never done a canned tour. Seem to be twice as much and they rush u from one place to another. Looked at Morocco tours last year, think their average 12 day is $3500/pp. not including flights. They rush u thru 2-3 stops a day, 2 hrs here, 4 hrs there. We did 22 days last Oct. spent 2-3 days in each town, used ABnb, stayed in nice Ryads, we spent $4-5k all in, (flight w miles) really didnt bother to keep count, knew we were under budget. Used Lonely Planet book as a guide, as well as a couple of ‘travel morocco’ type FB pages i joined.
Wait- I don’t want to be this guy but have to…hotels, meals, visits, drinks, etc for under $250 a day?
I get that the flight miles helps but that is crazy low pricing for 2 people.

Wait- I don’t want to be this guy but have to…hotels, meals, visits, drinks, etc for under $250 a day?
I dont have the Morocco line items but wait til you hear that we only spent $11k for 42 days in France In Oct’22. Flight w miles.
Hotel in Paris was $166/ (2 blocks from ND in latin Q, Great location but like a 2*) then most of the rest was nice but small Abnb for avg $100/. (Always a superhost w 4.75+ rating, old town location). $/E had dropped to parity = Saved 1k there.
Nice dinners but not Michelin stars (there are a sheet-ton), decent bottle of red in a restaurant was $28, ($22 for a lunch Rose’). Two entrees n a bottle might be $70-75, only tip maybe 10% or $5. Some nights we get some chacuterie and a bottle of wine, decent bottle in store 6-9E, cheese, olives n salami = 25 E.
We spend most our time walking around, did 35k steps the first day in Paris. ND to Arch to Eiffel to ND. Had to find a foot massager by 3rd day. Trains all the way. Paris to Dijon to Beaune to Lyon to Avignon to Arles to Aix to Nice. Sidetrips to Montpleir, Monacco, s few small Provence villages, Cap Ferrat.

Morocco i didnt keep line items as i knew we wouldnt spend much.
Flew into Casablanca, immediately trained to Rabat (train was like 7E/). Ryad in Rabat was our most expensive maybe 130e/ Includes breafast). First dinner was 2 tanjines for 30e, most restaurants dont serve alcohol so we drank way less wine than a normal trip, normally 1-2 bottles a day. Getting local cash from banks they charge 3-7%. All in first day 130 + 15 + 30 + 20 maybe total 195. Train to Tanger was like 28e/ half what Italy, France o Spain. Tanger Ryad ( we had a small 3 bed 3 flr house to ourselves was maybe 65e/ (Superhost, old town, terrace w harbor n seaview). Train to Tetoun. Another 2-3 br ryad we had to ourselves. We chatted up a coffee shop owner, his son did an internship in Austin, he offered to give us a tour after he closed up, but we invited him n wife to dinner instead. He showed up by himself, drove us 45 minutes to a nearby beach town to go to families fav restaurant. Ordered a bucket of 4-5 types of fresh fish they chopped up n cooked, platter was 3 feet long, only 35e. Next day he found us a grand cab to dtive us the 1 hour to Chefchaouen (55e). Stayed in the most beautiful Riad, was built for the kings daughter, next to the palace maybe 65e/. Beautiful place, walked around took pictures, tried to find a wine shop (there was one in the whole town, 12-15 a bottle, they knew they were the only one! We did spend 210 each for a 3 day desert tour from Fes to Merzouga then to Marrakech, but it saved us train fare to Mara, n included 2 nights stay n dinners.

We always travel in the shoulder season, usually Sept. We dont buy souvenirs, over the top dinners or wines, our favorite thing might be to get into a good conversation w a local, if not maybe another tourist.

Last edited:
I dont have the Morocco line items but wait til you hear that we only spent $11k for 42 days in France In Oct’22. Flight w miles.
Hotel in Paris was $166/ (2 blocks from ND in latin Q, Great location but like a 2*) then most of the rest was nice but small Abnb for avg $100/. (Always a superhost w 4.75+ rating, old town location). $/E had dropped to parity = Saved 1k there.
Nice dinners but not Michelin stars (there are a sheet-ton), decent bottle of red in a restaurant was $28, ($22 for a lunch Rose’). Two entrees n a bottle might be $70-75, only tip maybe 10% or $5. Some nights we get some chacuterie and a bottle of wine, decent bottle in store 6-9E, cheese, olives n salami = 25 E.
We spend most our time walking around, did 35k steps the first day in Paris. ND to Arch to Eiffel to ND. Had to find a foot massager by 3rd day. Trains all the way. Paris to Dijon to Beaune to Lyon to Avignon to Arles to Aix to Nice. Sidetrips to Montpleir, Monacco, s few small Provence villages, Cap Ferrat.

Morocco i didnt keep line items as i knew we wouldnt spend much.
Flew into Casablanca, immediately trained to Rabat (train was like 7E/). Ryad in Rabat was our most expensive maybe 130e/ Includes breafast). First dinner was 2 tanjines for 30e, most restaurants dont serve alcohol so we drank way less wine than a normal trip, normally 1-2 bottles a day. Getting local cash from banks they charge 3-7%. All in first day 130 + 15 + 30 + 20 maybe total 195. Train to Tanger was like 28e/ half what Italy, France o Spain. Tanger Ryad ( we had a small 3 bed 3 flr house to ourselves was maybe 65e/ (Superhost, old town, terrace w harbor n seaview). Train to Tetoun. Another 2-3 br ryad we had to ourselves. We chatted up a coffee shop owner, his son did an internship in Austin, he offered to give us a tour after he closed up, but we invited him n wife to dinner instead. He showed up by himself, drove us 45 minutes to a nearby beach town to go to families fav restaurant. Ordered a bucket of 4-5 types of fresh fish they chopped up n cooked, platter was 3 feet long, only 35e. Next day he found us a grand cab to dtive us the 1 hour to Chefchaouen (55e). Stayed in the most beautiful Riad, was built for the kings daughter, next to the palace maybe 65e/. Beautiful place, walked around took pictures, tried to find a wine shop (there was one in the whole town, 12-15 a bottle, they knew they were the only one! We did spend 210 each for a 3 day desert tour from Fes to Merzouga then to Marrakech, but it saved us train fare to Mara, n included 2 nights stay n dinners.

We always travel in the shoulder season, usually Sept. We dont buy souvenirs, over the top dinners or wines, our favorite thing might be to get into a good conversation w a local, if not maybe another tourist.
one thing that is for sure- the longer your stay in a single place- the easier to bring down your daily spend. Not sure if I want to do Airbnb on my holiday's though but that is just me. If I was going with others- let's say family friends etc- and it would be more than 1 BR needed- then I may go that way.

can absolutely be done. my parents still do that now. they've been all over the world and enjoy the challenge of sticking to a low budget. i, on the other hand, don't mind spending a bit more while i'm on vacation. airbnb's or whatever vacation rental site you want to use is nice because you get more space for the money. i've stayed in a $500/night hotel in Rome, as well as a $130/night airbnb. much preferred the airbnb. - having a full sized fridge for snacks and drinks was really nice, as was having a living room and space to spread out. hotel rooms in europe tend to be small.

one thing that is for sure- the longer your stay in a single place- the easier to bring down your daily spend. Not sure if I want to do Airbnb on my holiday's though but that is just me. If I was going with others- let's say family friends etc- and it would be more than 1 BR needed- then I may go that way.
when i did the airbnb, my wife and i brought her parents, so we had a 2BR apartment right near the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain that worked out fantastic. They could go back and rest there on our less planned out days if they wanted without having to go far or take a cab or public transport.

FWIW - I used Air BnBs in Florence and Cincue Terra and was very happy with the value and cleanliness. I know neither location is on your itinerary, but I'm extrapolating that AirBnBs are mostly good in Italy. So if you're on a budget, you should consider them as a way to allocate more money to other things besides a hotel room.

That said, if you have any concerns that your wife will shoot you if the place is less than stellar, ignore this advice.

I’m very well traveled (80+ countries/6 continents with most multiple times). One thing I have learned in 4 decades of travel is to slow it down. See more in a limited area that seeing little everywhere. Italy is very near the top of my favorite places to visit for several reasons… history, food, scenery, highest number of World Heritage Sites, people, etc. While it isn’t my favorite destination, it is nonetheless the country I would recommend to new travelers to visit due to how much there is to do and see in one place.

Bottom line it’s a great choice but don’t try to see the whole country in one trip else you’ll have a checklist and not memories. Pick a region (they’re all great) and kill it. Bon voyage!

While it isn’t my favorite destination, it is nonetheless the country I would recommend to new travelers to visit due to how much there is to do and see in one place.
What would you say are your top 2-3 destinations? Just curious.

Go to Naples! LOL. Napoli is a tough sell. Yes. There's a reason why the phrase "Va Fa Napoli!" is used as a mostly playful alternative to "Go to Hell!"

Reactions: NotInRHouse
What would you say are your top 2-3 destinations? Just curious.
I often say “my last one” but New Zealand and Nepal are up there. There are so many others like Brazil, Chile, Switzerland, Australia, Vietnam, and India as well.

I often say “my last one” but New Zealand and Nepal are up there. There are so many others like Brazil, Chile, Switzerland, Australia, Vietnam, and India as well.
Interesting. Out of all of those places, I've only been to India. Thanks for the feedback.

Go to Naples! LOL. Napoli is a tough sell. Yes. There's a reason why the phrase "Va Fa Napoli!" is used as a mostly playful alternative to "Go to Hell!"

I love Naples but it's not for less seasoned travelers. A European starter trip should focus on bigger cities with less chaos and more English speaking and tourist infrastructure. But once you have the background and a little Italian it's great.

Reactions: RUinPinehurst
Thank you for the recommendations. First time traveler to Italy. I’ll be flying into Rome at the end of July. Yup. It’s gonna be hot. Spending 3 days in Rome. Then heading to Sorrento. Gonna do Capri one day and then doing Positano, Ravello and Amalfi. Then head to Florence for 2 days before we head to Venice for 3 days. I will definitely buy the Steve Ricks book. Go RU!

Reactions: cshelley
Thank you for the recommendations. First time traveler to Italy. I’ll be flying into Rome at the end of July. Yup. It’s gonna be hot. Spending 3 days in Rome. Then heading to Sorrento. Gonna do Capri one day and then doing Positano, Ravello and Amalfi. Then head to Florence for 2 days before we head to Venice for 3 days. I will definitely buy the Steve Ricks book. Go RU!
In venice- did you book a hotel on the water where your water taxi from the airport can drop you off at the hotel? If not, just understand you will be walking with luggage to where your hotel may be.
And if the first time in Venice- walking the streets pulling luggage- not fun. Though, Google Maps should help. Last time I was there, it was pre 2007 so you had to rely on maps and directions from strangers.

Reactions: RU_Mach
In venice- did you book a hotel on the water where your water taxi from the airport can drop you off at the hotel? If not, just understand you will be walking with luggage to where your hotel may be.
And if the first time in Venice- walking the streets pulling luggage- not fun. Though, Google Maps should help. Last time I was there, it was pre 2007 so you had to rely on maps and directions from strangers.
Yes. We are at Hilton Stucky. Taking a water taxi from train station to to Hotel.

Yes. We are at Hilton Stucky. Taking a water taxi from train station to to Hotel.
perfect- we stayed at the Gritti Palace.

I would love to go back but The Gritti Palace wouldn't be in my budget anymore.

We did Rome and Venice along with Paris.

In Rome- if you want to also tour the Vatican- make sure to hire a guide- well worth it and they are not that expensive. While they can not officially get you to the front of the line- they do get you near the front and save at least an hour there- also, you do not have to be with a group of 50 or so doing the normal run around- a guide will get you past those groups and and make it much more private. Wish I could remember the name of the restaurant we went to but our hotel gave us a great place to eat- small little family run place, we made a reservation and led to a table that already had plates of antipasti on it- we didn't know what to do at first- the waitress, who was the daughter- just says mangia - we are just eating non stop- got a jug of wine and they keep bringing food out- the Dad was in the kitchen and you are seeing him slicing the meats etc...We are so full and figured that was it- and then are asked what we are in the mood for- fish, pasta, meat, heavy, light...I got osso bucco and the wife got this very light pasta dish that literally melted in your mouth- another jug of wine and dessert. Came out to the equivalent of $50...

Venice- First thing to consider- get a hotel that is on a canal or close to the water. There are no cars, bikes or anything in Venice- so, if you are in the middle of the city, you are lugging your bags through the streets to your hotel.
We were there before smart phones- I think it was 2005...So- when getting directions in Venice- there are the smallest alley's that they call streets. Easiest city in the world to get lost.
But- Venice should be a bucket list.

Just went there last week. Awesome place, but I would avoid going during high season like during the summer. It already was getting crazy in the main tourist area. I stayed in Cannaregio. Be ready to walk or pay for the Vaporetto water bus and learn their routes. Definitely take a visit to Burano, but avoid the tour guide and just wander around there. I ate at the place that Anthony Bourdain was crazy for, Trattoria Al Gatto Nero.

Definitely also recommend taking a visit Florence/Tuscany, Emilia-Romania (Bologna, Modena, Parma), Almafi Coast. Positano is fantastic.

Rome was meh for me, but worth going once to see.

Another point about driving - be aware that speed cameras are everywhere and honor the signs (red circle on white background) that restrict non-resident traffic. Driving apps may not pick that up. Otherwise, you’ll be receiving fines by mail 6 months later.
6 months? Try 6 years later and they even found my new address in a different state lol

F that

Oh one thing about Positano, if you were like me trying to save money by staying in a main train city, like Salerno... The public transit boats stop at 8pm. Ended up paying like 100-200 euros to take taxi back.

Still worth it though, we went to this awesome restaurant way above Positano as well as another one that you catch the restaurant speed boat in Almafi and go to a small island. Very neat.

I did the Amalfi Coast and Capri October 2022 and am planning a trip this September to the Lake Como region and then heading to Venice with a stop on the way in Bologna. While in Amalfi we stayed in Positano , then traveled to Ravello . In Positano we stayed at the Sireneuse Hotel and in Ravello the Hotel Avino. They are very expensive but simply fabulous places. From there we had a private boat that took my wife and I to Capri for several days. On the way down to Capri the boat stopped at the Blue Grotto which was amazing. Positano is lovely but I enjoyed Ravello even more. If you're there in the summer there are outstanding summer music festivals that you should attend if possible. From Capri we ferried to Naples which is not worth a stop other than to check out nearby Pompeii which is absolutely amazing. Side note --if you do Tuscany, one place absolutely worth visiting is the medieval hill town of Siena . During the summer , there is a horse race within the city called the Palio. Terrific event.

I highly recommend reading Katie Parlas blog for all things Rome & Venice. She's originally from NJ, her dad owned Clyde's in New Brunswick

I mentioned this earlier in the thread I believe. She also has guided food tours if folks are interested in that. I went to HS with her and ran into her while she was giving a tour at one of her recommendations when I was last in Rome. She has a few folks that work with her to give tours now too.

Reactions: Leonard23
I mentioned this earlier in the thread I believe. She also has guided food tours if folks are interested in that. I went to HS with her and ran into her while she was giving a tour at one of her recommendations when I was last in Rome. She has a few folks that work with her to give tours now too.
We may do a Katie Parla food tour on the 3rd day that we are in Rome.

Your Italy trip sounds like a dream! When I traveled and visited broadbeach hotels, I was blown away by the variety of hotels available. Similarly, in Italy, each city has its charm. Rome's history, Venice's canals, and Positano's coastal beauty are must-sees.

Interested in an Italy trip and this board always has great info. Any recommendations/tips for locations, hotels, sights/tours, restaurants, etc. and what to avoid. Leaning towards Rome, Venice, and Positano with visits to Capri, Sorrento, Naples, and maybe Pompeii over 8-10 days. Thanks.
This is a very big trip and not sure if you can do it in 8 days. Venice is in the North and Positano is the South. Most of what you are looking to do is Rome and south. I would suggest you cut out Venice for this trip and concentrate on Rome and South. Go back and visit Tuscany, Cinque Terre, and Venice on your next trip

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT