ADVERTISEMENT

OT: June 21,1970 - 7 for 7

RUhasarrived

All American
May 7, 2007
One of the great things about baseball is that mediocre players can set or tie records.

One of these happenings occurred 50 years ago today in Cleveland's Municipal Stadium,as Tigers shortstop Cesar Gutierrez collected 7 hits in a 12 inning win. It was his only season as a regular.No one has ever gone 8 for 8,although in a Pirate 22-0 rout of the Cubs at Wrigley Field in 1975,Rennie Stennett went 7 for 7 in the first 8 innings,then was lifted from the game.His spot almost came up again in the 9th.Fortunately for the manager, it didn't.Who substituted for Stennett?

One of the great things about baseball is that mediocre players can set or tie records.

One of these happenings occurred 50 years ago today in Cleveland's Municipal Stadium,as Tigers shortstop Cesar Gutierrez collected 7 hits in a 12 inning win. It was his only season as a regular.No one has ever gone 8 for 8,although in a Pirate 22-0 rout of the Cubs at Wrigley Field in 1975,Rennie Stennett went 7 for 7 in the first 8 innings,then was lifted from the game.His spot almost came up again in the 9th.Fortunately for the manager, it didn't.Who substituted for Stennett?
I won't respond because I looked it up. But I will say that this is an excellent trivia question. I say that because the answer is noteworthy. With so many trivia questions, you hear the answer and shrug your shoulders. Not so with this one!

The pirates had three good second baseman around the same time. Of the other two, I picked the wrong one. Looked up the answer so won’t say here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT