ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Kentucky Derby

who was it..the owner..then the owner is making a collusall blunder...just watch the exodus to scarletnation
With the way TOS is right now, dopn't know if many would leave here and stay there.
But if their software was updated to have that site navigated easily and had alerts to replies, what you're saying could easily happen.
That said: Put the Deby thread back where it belongs ( an OT on the football board )
Along with the baseball threads :boxing::chairshot:

Reactions: WhiteBus
With the way TOS is right now, dopn't know if many would leave here and stay there.
But if their software was updated to have that site navigated easily and had alerts to replies, what you're saying could easily happen.
That said: Put the Deby thread back where it belongs ( an OT on the football board )
Along with the baseball threads :boxing::chairshot:
And Pork Roll threads too

Reactions: MADHAT1
And Pork Roll threads too
LB3G.gif

It's Taylor Ham to the NJ Breakfast connoisseur :p

LB3G.gif

It's Taylor Ham to the NJ Breakfast connoisseur :p
Taylor ham?? What the hell is that?
Speaking of breakfast food, on a Derby thread, 1988 Derby day, backstretch Churchville Downs, I was a guest outrider for a trainer friend of mine. Aboard his personal colt I led back a horse from his stable from a dawn workout. Didn't get paid but he was buying breakfast on the backstretch kitchen. He suggested the biscuits and gravy. It looked like garbage but he insisted. My god was that good!

Audible/Justify on the top of the ticket....... Good Magic/One of the long shot closers (Lone Sailor/Hofburg/My boy Jack) to play around with on the bottom of the ticket.

As of tonight
Will box :
Mendelssohn-Good Magic-Magumn Moon
& Firenze Fire in an exacta and a trifecta

Win bet on Magnum Moon

Tri box Magnum Moon Justify Audible Bolt D'Oro

Good Luck all

I always have a tradition on Saturday morning of playing My Old Kentucky Home on my Victrola I received about 15 years ago

I've been to the Kentucky Derby 4 times as I went to college in Louisville. It is an experience to remember.

Raining hard now in Lexington. I'm picking Mendelsshon, Justify & Bolt d'Oro in that order.

Johnny Weir and Tara looking pretty special , lol

Puppy wearing #2 (Free Drop Billy?) won on the Tonight Show.

Right now #2 is going off at 43-1.

Reactions: SteveVA2
There's 26 million in the win pool with an hour to go.The smallest Pick 4 is 139K;the largest 3 mill.

Update:42 million bet across the board,but only 16 in the exacta pool,the opposite of what happens in everyday races.

Still,the big races are for the masses.The degenerates bet Sunland Park on Christmas Eve,as did I last year.

Last edited:
I've been watching the Derby since 1958.This was the first time I've ever bet.The wait was justified.

4njbets is going wild.They keep putting money in and taking money out of my account in the last few minutes.Maybe the horse broke them.

Could this horse be a super horse?
The whole strategy in going against him (which I did) was the idea that he was going to be near the front and be pushed much more at the early part of the race that he has been in his wins, and not have enough left in the tank at the end.

He WAS pushed much more at the early part of the race, two good horses (Good Magic and Audible) had the race set up for them the way they wanted, and they still had no chance catching him as he had plenty at the end. VERY impressive.

Disappointed in Magnum Moon, finished 19.
Disappointed isn't the case for me.
Horrified might be a better way to put the way my exacta and trifecta horses ( except for Good Magic) finished : second_ 11th> next to last & last.
Anyone want my advice for the Preakness :(

It is for the jockeys. Takes lots of strength/skill to ride in a pack of horses for a couple minutes around a dirty track. Jockeys get jacked-up regularly
It is for the horses. They train and age out like their human counterparts

Reactions: GSGS
Won the exacta via my bookie Piscataway Mike who went to Monmouth (I passed) with brother Tom. May have help them as Mike had been talking Moon (in part) and Mike said he duplicated my bets post race (I was REAL happy to hear). I was also texting him info for 2-3 hours pre race (thanks for the patience Mike) Therefore Piscataway Mike ALSO hit the exact. After Mike told me that Tom was making "crazy bets" I had a good hunch Tom (crazy smart and logical) would do well.Tom hit the trifecta and supposedly won close to $300 in total.

Last edited:
Here was my mode of thinking. I was hoping to win $60 plus that I hopefully could use for high speed internet/career search (as most have seen my posting problems here due to not having the later). Piscataway Mike "loaned" me $12 and I was also worried that unless my bets had the potential of making me a big of money Mike wouldn't place. He would probably only take 1-2 calls from me prerace.

I thought pretty much the top 8-10 betting favorites had the potential to win (Audible, Good Magic, Justify, My Boy Jack, Bolt D'oro, Mendelssohn, Magnum Moon, Vino Rosso and Noble Indy as a longer shot. USED SOME/THE "general Rules" TO NARROW.

1) "Champions find ways to win". I love horses that haven't lost or maybe lost once in their careers pre derby. Although a favorite name horse "My Boy Jack had won once or twice in 8-10 starts- not the mark of a Derby winner. My Boy Jack and his mother may have been mudders but his overall record was not one that wins the derby, Preakness or Belmont-especially with such a strong field. See line one.

2) UAE Derby winners and eurohorses are pretty much 100% (at least recently) no shows in the Derby. Had to elimnate Mendelssohn despite 18.5 length win in Dubai.

3) If one Derby horse has beaten another in the last two or so races don't expect a change unless you have a big excuse. Then read #1 again.

4) I like horses that won their last two outings min-are on a winning streak.

5) Always use/consider the 2-year old champ as they WERE #1 and can always regain form. Though chose Good Magic late always had him in mind though a slow start this year (possibly due to layoff) never highly considered him to win (esp on $12 budget).

I was pretty much left with 3 horses that stood out-Justify, Audible and Magnum Moon. I kind of rolled the dice against Moon but I due to budget and post position (I think I finally listened to comments re post position

n) I kind of decided to eliminate Moon. I felt a tad better in the minutes before the race re Moon as Bob Baffert said the SLOPPY track had a high inside bias. Magnum Moon was in auxiliary gate 16.

6)***I also WATCHED A LOT OF THE TELECAST PRE RACE.

As time went on and the telecast started both Justify and Audible STOOD OUT BIG TIME.
I liked Audible over Justify a tad pre telecast due to the non racing at 2 thing. However as the race approached I remember there were increasing amounts of NCAA hoops teams that had a preponderance of freshman who had been #1 or close. Also Audible only had one extra race than Justify.

Early on the telecast cut to both stalls. Both horses looked liked beautiful superheros looking all around the stall with ears perked up to the max! I told Mike that Justify's ears perked up to the max looked like Ron Jeremy looking at a hot 18 year old! After seemingly watch Justify BITE HIS STALL gate trying to get out I think I subconsciously realized that I didn't want to and couldn't totally bet against Justify. Again with a $12 budget a $10 win ticket on Justify wouldn't pay much. Therefore I was still leaning a $10 win bet on Audible ( but hated the thought of no bets on Justify. Also had read the papers extensively Thurs-Sat and just as many liked audible higher odds) than Justify.

All of a sudden as the post parade started I decided to go with 6 exactas-3 each. One with each on top and bottom-and with 2 others. To be honest I did this fast and may have been a tad lucky but when your 2 year old juvenile winner is 9-1 that's good value and would give me a nice exacta. Kind of was influenced by the media for the 2nd-more than a few were picking Bolt D Oro so I comboed him over a now 13-1 (why?) undefeated Magnum Moon in post 16.

What a great feeling to have the winner in first and the 2nd and 3rd place horses (found myself rooting for Good Magic to hold on as his odds were higher) from the top of the stretch onward!

Last edited:
Shields, I think you may well right. As someone who spent much time at games and events with you (some of which weren't your style so I applaude you for that) I can only hope you will take the time and money to attend The Belmont Stakes and see a triple crown for yourself. Those 2 minutes Pharoah ran away from the race with the crowd building to a crescendo was better than any other sporting event I attended including the Yankees winning the World Series in Game 6 in 2009, RU's Louisville football win in 2008, the A-10 Championsihp game in 1988 (maybe that one was a tie) and the triple OT MSG Holiday Tourney win over Ohio St. in 1978.

When the telecast showed Justify in his stall early on and Justify apparently bit the stall gate attempting to get out viewers may have witnessed the most competitive horse ever. This horse (and audible looked similar) was READY TO GO! This group is apparently strong so there may well be another/other future champion in the mix. SAs one reporter stated these horses are relative babies at this stage of development.

Last edited:
Raining hard now in Lexington. I'm picking Mendelsshon, Justify & Bolt d'Oro in that order.

Johnny Weir and Tara looking pretty special , lol

Hey Abro, nice pick with Mendelsshon, he finished last 73 lengths behind, lol. :smiley:

Last edited:
Reactions: shields
It is for the horses. They train and age out like their human counterparts

I still consider Secretariat the greatest athlete I ever saw. His romp through the Triple Crown in 1973, winning all three races in STILL STANDING record times, is the most spectacular athletic accomplishment in the 20th century. Everyone knows how hard it is for a horse to win the Triple Crown, the odds of one horse not only winning the Crown but establishing the record time in each race is literally off the charts.

Reactions: ru75 and Abro1975
Hey Abro, nice pick with Mendelsshon, he finished last 73 lengths behind, lol. :smiley:

I changed my bet when I saw the slop. I won 2 pools. Really, I did.

Mendelsshon should bounce back with dry tracks. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT