ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Leased car registration help…

mikemarc1

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2005
Hey all,

So I leased a car last month in NY and I live in NJ. (Did everything thru the app RODO and had no interaction with the dealership..got great price though)

Car was dropped off to me with temporary ny registration and New York temporary plate (referred to in NY as in-transit permits). My proof of registration for 30 days. Was told to expect nj plates and permanent registrarion in 30 days..which is when the temporary ny registration expires. All good.

Come three days ago, the temporary registration expired..but still had not revcieved nj registration or plates. So now my car is basically unregistered and undrivable.

Called the dealership who says they gave all info to the nj dmv…but they’re just backed up. They cannot extend my temporary registration cause I live in nj. So I meet with nj dmv who had no info on my vehicle…had to fill out my own paperwork there. They cannot give me temporary registration since car was not leased in nj, have to wait for all paperwork to go through which could be a few weeks.

What’s my option to be able to drive it this weekend? Or am I out of luck?

Uber?
Enterprise car rental?
That car dealer is not a place I wanna go to. They got yer business and now yer on yer own nice.

From what I understand, the police are pretty flexible with temporary registrations due to the DMV backlogs. Even before the pandemic, you were ok beyond day 31 if the registration was from another state. I know it doesn't help much but maybe it will ease your mind.

Years ago bought a van in NY for my NJ based business

Dealer tells me to put the temporary tags in my side passenger window since there's no back window

Get pulled over a few weeks later by a Union City cop, gun drawn as he approaches. He thought it was stolen

Won't let me leave until I tape the temp tag to the back door with packaging tape

By the time my real NJ plates arrived later that month that paper temporary tag was so destroyed by the weather I don't know how I wasn't pulled over again

Gotta love "the system"

My first question- the dealership was charging you to register it???
When I worked at a dealership- we only charged what DMV charged…

What are DMV fees? I’m sssuming that is towards registration?
DMV fees are fees being passed directly along to you. All the dealership is doing, is saving you a trip to the DMV- they are not legally allowed to add on to it.

DMV fees are fees being passed directly along to you. All the dealership is doing, is saving you a trip to the DMV- they are not legally allowed to add on to it.

But if they did charge me DMV fees, yet a a month later I’m at the DMV filing out paperwork for my registration..they shouldn’t have charged me the fees…??

But if they did charge me DMV fees, yet a a month later I’m at the DMV filing out paperwork for my registration..they shouldn’t have charged me the fees…??
did you get charged again for the registration?

Now, to be clear- DMV fees are 100% what the government(state) is charging. You are also going to get hit with a number of other fees such as acquisition fee...

did you get charged again for the registration?

Now, to be clear- DMV fees are 100% what the government(state) is charging. You are also going to get hit with a number of other fees such as acquisition fee...

Not yet. I only filled out the paperwork (lien release request and mailed to leasing company). Once they accept that request I have to meet dmv again…I assume that’s when they’ll charge?

Not yet. I only filled out the paperwork (lien release request and mailed to leasing company). Once they accept that request I have to meet dmv again…I assume that’s when they’ll charge?
If you have paperwork that shows DMV fees- it will break down what they were. If registration is on your paperwork- then you shouldn’t have to pay anything.

Reactions: mikemarc1
If you have paperwork that shows DMV fees- it will break down what they were. If registration is on your paperwork- then you shouldn’t have to pay anything.

It just says license, title and registration fee on the itemized paperwork.

It just says license, title and registration fee on the itemized paperwork.
Then you shouldn’t be paying them anything. Surprised you are even at DMV- usually, your registration gets mailed to you and the plates come into the dealership.

Last edited:
Then you shouldn’t be paying them anything. Surprised you are even at DMV- usually, your registration gets nailed to you and the plates come into the dealership.

That’s what the dealership originally told me, but dmv says they got nothing from the dealership..which is odd 30 days after delivery..I’m assuming it has to do with NY dealership and NJ DMV….i don’t know.

What about going through RODO ?

Rodo says i need to go through the dealership. Dealership is saying i need to go through DMV.

I'm going to call NY DMV tomorrow and hopefully get an extension to my temporary registration...the dealer said they couldn't give it to me cause the car is in NJ now. And NJ DMV says they cant give me temporary since i leased in NY. Its a clusterf-ck.

Rodo says i need to go through the dealership. Dealership is saying i need to go through DMV.

I'm going to call NY DMV tomorrow and hopefully get an extension to my temporary registration...the dealer said they couldn't give it to me cause the car is in NJ now. And NJ DMV says they cant give me temporary since i leased in NY. Its a clusterf-ck.
You could have leased in bumfvk nowhere and if you live in and registering it in NJ- the dealer has to register it there. NY DMV should not even be involved.

I do think that if I remember- there were a couple of times where it was something similar-out of state, where the client may have had to pick up the plates themselves.

What is rodo, Shelby asks ?

Its an app that makes car leasing easy. They do all the work with the dealership...all the negotiating. Definitely got the best deal on a lease than i got myself going into the dealership. Defintiely worth it...so long as this registration gets rectified.

Its an app that makes car leasing easy. They do all the work with the dealership...all the negotiating. Definitely got the best deal on a lease than i got myself going into the dealership. Defintiely worth it...so long as this registration gets rectified.
Can you use this app for buying a car? I swear it says you can, but then when you search it only gives lease results and no way to switch over. I spent about an hour or two playing with it and searching reddit/google for some guidance. Their FAQ is unclear as well.

Can you use this app for buying a car? I swear it says you can, but then when you search it only gives lease results and no way to switch over. I spent about an hour or two playing with it and searching reddit/google for some guidance. Their FAQ is unclear as well.

I’m able to…

Once you click on the car you like, scroll a little to the bottom of the photo, and change lease to finance. Though I’ve never used it to finance

I don’t understand a lien release when the car is being leased. When leasing a car the title is in the name of the leasing company. When you buy out the lease then you would get a lien release.

I don’t understand a lien release when the car is being leased. When leasing a car the title is in the name of the leasing company. When you buy out the lease then you would get a lien release.

This whole process has been a mess..just following instructions from dmv.

This whole process has been a mess..just following instructions from dmv.
My experience has been you have a 50/50 chance of dealing with someone who knows what they are doing when dealing with New Jersey DMV.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT