ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Legalization of Marijuana in NJ

TV update-"60 Minutes" with the ,mary jane ballot question in 5 states on NOW at 7PM channel 2.

Looks like theory will be the 2nd or 3rd segment. On around 7:20-7:40PM.

Meanwhile, Fiosnews had a story with Sweeney talking about getting together a legalization bill in New Jersey once Christie is out. He apparently led a delegation that checked out Colorado's situation and they came away impressed. Looking at 2018.

Reactions: newell138
Has anyone considered that NJ does not have a tax revenue problem but maybe, just maybe, a SPENDING PROBLEM.

Reactions: RUsSKii
Has anyone considered that NJ does not have a tax revenue problem but maybe, just maybe, a SPENDING PROBLEM.

Perhaps it does. That doesn't preclude NJ from seeking an interesting new source of revenue.
And attempting to provide some regulation and control to an industry that's already thriving out there. Honestly, how hard do you think it really is to obtain said contraband here in 2016 anyway ?
Besides, we can cut spending by ending the war on reefer, thus saving on the cost of investigation, arrest, prosecution, and incarceration of those who choose to partake of herb.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
That's pretty good. It was $550 an ounce for completely seedless, stemless quality herb here in NJ the last time I checked.

Then you are getting ripped off my friend, you should def not be paying more than 400 for top shelf and with the right connections, as little as 230. My dad (age 68) just got an ounce of Platinum Kush yesterday for only 265.

Then you are getting ripped off my friend, you should def not be paying more than 400 for top shelf and with the right connections, as little as 230. My dad (age 68) just got an ounce of Platinum Kush yesterday for only 265.

No. You misunderstood my post. I said that was the price the last time l checked, not what I paid for it. I've got friends who sell the stuff and that's what they said they get for an ounce of top-grade, seedless and stemless herb. That's not what I pay.

Not that I really care about this one way or the other, but I'm not aware that frankincense and myrrh have any ability to produce psychological affects on the brain. Is it so hard to imagine ancient humans using cannabis; hell we drink fermented fruit juice, lick Amazonian toads, gobble down mushrooms, etc.

OP referred to the tent being filled with smoke to commune with God. No biblical evidence that there was psychological affects of the smoke on the participants. As a Catholic we regularly use incense during holy days as part of prayer. The power of prayer and the connection to God is not caused by the smoke.

I can believe people in all cultures around the world and throughout time have used a wide variety of substances to alter perceptions and reality. However, marijuana use cannot be justified based on the Bible, when it can't be authoritatively determined that marijuana is even being referenced in the Bible.

When California goes legal in a week it will be all but a done deal for the rest of the country.

Is it expected to pass this time around? I remember last time it lost by a slim margin, which I was pretty shocked about because it's freggin Cali.

OP referred to the tent being filled with smoke to commune with God. No biblical evidence that there was psychological affects of the smoke on the participants. As a Catholic we regularly use incense during holy days as part of prayer. The power of prayer and the connection to God is not caused by the smoke.

I can believe people in all cultures around the world and throughout time have used a wide variety of substances to alter perceptions and reality. However, marijuana use cannot be justified based on the Bible, when it can't be authoritatively determined that marijuana is even being referenced in the Bible.

As a Rastafarian once said to me: " look at the clothes those priests are wearing and that guy with that big hat. Don't tell me they're not hitting the ganja."
Look, I'm an atheist...so I don't care about the absurd concept of a "bible". You and the Rastas can argue it out. But please just let each other practice their chosen beliefs...no matter what herb it involves.

Getting lost in this is my larger point. The thing pro-legalization people have to realize is that the way they are going about this is actually counterproductive to their cause. When you keep changing the rules to get whatever you want, you are going to alienate many people, even if they are sympathetic to your cause. Many of the same people making this argument would have no problem if Congress, or the President, used Federal power to preempt state laws on, say, transgender bathroom use restrictions. So my issue is not really on the scope of powers, but instead on how people want to change the rules whenever it's convenient for them.

False comparison. One is the feds telling states they can't enforce an unconstitutional law. The other is the state saying it won't enforce a federal law. The feds are still within their rights to come into your state and enforce a federal law but, states have the autonomy to allocate their resources how they choose. If they don't want to use state resources to enforce a federal law, then there is nothing really the feds can do to force them to.

However, marijuana use cannot be justified based on the Bible, when it can't be authoritatively determined that marijuana is even being referenced in the Bible.

I for one am not saying that cannabis use is sanctioned in the bible, just that it seems perfectly obvious that it was being used by ancient Jewish priests. As far as authoritatively determined, since most of the bible is made up of myths, fables and other delusions it is not a book of history or truth.

I for one am not saying that cannabis use is sanctioned in the bible, just that it seems perfectly obvious that it was being used by ancient Jewish priests. As far as authoritatively determined, since most of the bible is made up of myths, fables and other delusions it is not a book of history or truth.

Yeah, it was pieced together back in the day....with some books left out.
I think the relevant one that didn't make the cut was The Book of Cheech.

Reactions: jared04
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT