ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Machado to the Padres

Whelp - not unexpected but now the pressure is on the Phils to sign Harper.

And that is the last we wil hear of Machado.
Other than Tony Gwynn and Hoffman how many Padres can you name in the last 25 years. Guy will be irrelevant.

That is until the Padres puke this contract to the Yankees in 3 years like all small market teams do with these absurd contracts they can’t suppirt

Other than Tony Gwynn and Hoffman how many Padres can you name in the last 25 years. Guy will be irrelevant.

That is until the Padres puke this contract to the Yankees in 3 years like all small market teams do with these absurd contracts they can’t suppirt
Nate Colbert was pretty good.

Reactions: colbert17
Randy Jones was pretty good as a Padre. Maybe Machado wanted to play in a stadium that Bartolo Colon hit a HR

Don't forget Dave Winfield played 8 years for the Padres before taking the money and run to the Yankees.

Winfield came to the Yankees in 1980. He’s my favorite player of all time, but that’s almost 40 tears ago.

Benito Santiago ROY ‘87, Mark Davis ‘89 Cy Young, Caminiti MVP 96, Peavy Cy Young in 2007

Unless you actually want to win.
Honestly, you think Machado (.213 postseason) or Harper (.211 postseason) really have winning at the top of their lists for picking a team? Harper got to the postseason every year and would do so with the Nats going forward (a very good team), but he turned them down apparently.

Last edited:
Reactions: redking

+1
Thought the same thing. Welcome to baseball purgatory! :)

There is a guy who posts here who is a big Nate Colbert fan.

Some funny (and predictable) comments.

Everyone bashes elite players for "following the money and not caring about winning".
But then everyone also bashes Kevin Durant and other players for "teaming up to win championships."

Some funny (and predictable) comments.

Everyone bashes elite players for "following the money and not caring about winning".
But then everyone also bashes Kevin Durant and other players for "teaming up to win championships."

your clueless if you even mention the Durant move. Was the biggest loser move in all of sports even if he wins championships.

So Machado decided he was willing to accept a situation like Baltimore where the team has little chance of winning. It doesn't speak much for his competitive spirit. I think my Phillies are better off without him. I kind of feel the same way about Harper, whose fundamentals (hitting the cut-off man, for instance) seem very poor. Sometimes very talented players don't have their heads on straight.

Petco is actually a terrible HR stadium for righties.

Slight nitpick with this, Petco is bad for right handed power but worse for lefties. From BP's HR park factor ratings it is a 93 for RHB and 88 for LHB. Also, Eno Sarris of the Athletic wrote this (article behind a paywall):
Of course, the fans didn’t know that Machado was being sent to the notoriously power-sapping Petco Park — but that might not affect the projection all that much. Machado hits “high drives,” as defined by launch angle and exit velocity, more than 50 percent more often than league average. Those pitches went for homers more often in Los Angeles and Baltimore than in any other park last year, while San Diego was 13th-friendliest.

However! San Diego is friendlier to left field than to right. To left field, it’s the seventh-best place for a hitter to hit a high drive. Guess where Machado likes to hit his ?

So Machado's type of swing should play better then most at Petco.

As for the Padres as a team, they have one of the best prospects in baseball in Fernado Tatis Jr. coming up soon, a bunch of young players in the OF, and some good young pitching prospects. They will not contend this year, but I wouldn't sleep on them in a year or 2, they could be like last years Braves.

your clueless if you even mention the Durant move. Was the biggest loser move in all of sports even if he wins championships.
Before you start calling people clueless figure out the difference between your and you’re.

Players got killed for taking money over winning. Now some players (as seen by Durant) put money and ego to the side to win championships and he’s a loser.

Talk about being inconsistent.

Planning hit the nail on the head. Padres have 10 of the top 100 prospects according to MLB. If Tatis and Urias pan out the way they're expected to, and that of course is a big if, along with Hosmer, they will have one of the top infields in baseball for the next 5 years. Add to that a slew of young outfielders who can hit and you've got a pretty decent team.
Big problem for them is that their SP prospects are still a year or two away from reaching the bigs.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Harper got to the postseason every year and would do so with the Nats going forward (a very good team), but he turned them down apparently.
Slight exaggeration. Washington made the playoffs in four out of seven years and lost in the first round all four times. No guarantee they would win the division this season even with Harper. If he signs with the Phillies, they could be at least as good as the Nats this year.

This was a very good move by the Pads. They may not win in 2019 but they are going to turn the corner quickly. Apparently they might still be in on Harper also.

Padres will be plus .500 this year and contenders in 2020.
What cracks me up is I wonder if people would be saying these same things if Manny had signed with the White Sox which most thought to be the frontrunner.
Pads were 4 games better then the Sox last year, have a much better farm system along with young players and he won't have to play in polar temperatures for two months out of the season. Except for a brief window with Ozzie at the controls the Chisox have been irrelevant for at least as long as the Pads.
Now hopefully Preller can trade some of those outfielders for a stud SP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zak57
Padres will be plus .500 this year and contenders in 2020.
What cracks me up is I wonder if people would be saying these same things if Manny had signed with the White Sox which most thought to be the frontrunner.
Pads were 4 games better then the Sox last year, have a much better farm system along with young players and he won't have to play in polar temperatures for two months out of the season. Except for a brief window with Ozzie at the controls the Chisox have been irrelevant for at least as long as the Pads.
Now hopefully Preller can trade some of those outfielders for a stud SP.

When did the Padres and White Sox become MLB relevant?

Will be surprised if Manny moves the needle much for SD.

It's about the future. If the kids pan out, the Padres could be an annual playoff contender. I think it's a good move for them. I'm also glad that it should kill some of the talk that teams aren't willing to spend money. Hopefully, some of the other teams who plead poverty follow San Diego's lead and actually increase their payroll to an acceptable level.

Cmon man, Patick Kivlehan

Reactions: redking
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT