ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Michigan RB coach Wheatley to the Jags

rutger80

Senior
Oct 14, 2013
Marietta, GA
Michigan just lost their second coach. Couple of weeks ago, Jedd Fisch went to UCLA to be the OC and now Tyrone Wheatley has taken the same position with Jacksonville, where Doug Marrone is the new coach.

Good coach that hated recruiting. Guy played in the NFL for 10 years. Should be fine financially why deal with babysitting HS kids.

Reactions: RUskoolie
Big loss for them. He was the #7 recruiter on 247 and he loved recruiting. Perhaps a lot of decommits now.

Loved watching him in college- an amazing blend of power and speed. One of my favorite college rb ever..

Not sure what to make of the move

On the one hand, he worked for Doug in Syracuse. On the other, he went to Michigan and his son is a player there. This makes it a little different than a normal move

I remember him on the Giants. He was only the guy a couple of years in his career with the Raiders. He was mostly a 3rd down and back up RB in the NF getting 400-600 yds a yearL

You beat me to it
Lol. Well looks like he always find another good one to step up fast. Replaced Durkin with Brown which was a big upgrade last year. Replaced Fisch with a sitting NFL OC Pep Hamilton so we will see how that plays out.

My guess is RB coach isn't as important generally so you use that spot to get a clutch recruiter.

So which is it? Did he hate recruiting or love recruiting? LOL
Well considering he recruited like ten 4 stars and up I would say he is good at recruiting and liked it. I mean I guess you can hate it and be good at it too, but kids see past the fakes.

So which is it? Did he hate recruiting or love recruiting? LOL
Well my source that he hated recruiting is directly from kids he recruited but he could have lied to them. I mean it would make sense to tell kids you don't like that aspect of coaching. Right? Lol

Is it time to wonder whether coaches like working for JH?
PaKnight, I get what you're doing [thumb2], but seriously, who can like working for that jerk? We only see some of the weirdness. Can you imagine being an assistant coach and being exposed to his weirdness full-time?? You'd have to watch him running around shirtless all day long.[sick]

Well my source that he hated recruiting is directly from kids he recruited but he could have lied to them. I mean it would make sense to tell kids you don't like that aspect of coaching. Right? Lol
lol that's awesome! Maybe he tells them I hate this but I'm doing it cuz u r awesome come to my school!

Lol that was my strat with the ladies too. I don't usually date, but u r special!

Reactions: ruready07 and vkj91
Loved watching him in college- an amazing blend of power and speed. One of my favorite college rb ever..

On the one hand, he worked for Doug in Syracuse. On the other, he went to Michigan and his son is a player there. This makes it a little different than a normal move
His son will be the winner in this. Very few Dads can resist sticking their noses into their kids' practices and games. Tyrone may be the exception but who really wants to be under their old man's scrutiny every day?

So you are saying it's time to wonder if people love working for Doug Morrone?

So you are saying it's time to wonder if people love working for Doug Morrone?
Or if he pays much better than Michigan...

Then again, it may be a Harbaugh thing.. Wheatley's name was out there for the Western Michigan job also, so I'm guessing he was looking

Well considering he recruited like ten 4 stars and up I would say he is good at recruiting and liked it. I mean I guess you can hate it and be good at it too, but kids see past the fakes.
Dude, you could recruit ten 4 stars to Michigan. Kids can't see past sh*t. Show them the glitz and glitter, backed by winning and tradition and they fall all over themselves to play for you. Doesn't matter if you offer them a week before signing day at a place like that.

Reactions: JoeRU0304
Is it time to wonder whether coaches like working for JH?
I would think moving up to OC for a pro team from rb coach for college is a no brainer, money alone, also, Mi needs help at running back. He was well liked but won't be missed at Mi.

I would think moving up to OC for a pro team from rb coach for college is a no brainer, money alone, also, Mi needs help at running back. He was well liked but won't be missed at Mi.
I disagree there - the performance increased markedly under Wheatley and he was a true "Michigan Man"

Let's see who they get, but he did a hell of a job there

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT