ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Grading the new coach hires for 2024

rutgersdave

Hall of Famer
Jan 23, 2004

Pretty much the assessment of most Rutgers fans but real upsetting for Syracuse fans. He might be a good coach but probably had less than a 50% chance.

Fran BrownC+I get that Brown has some juice as the assistant at Kirby Smart's favorite position (defensive backs) at Georgia. I also know that jumping from position coach to Power Five head coach has its challenges -- especially at a place like Syracuse. Brown will have to learn on the fly. He is armed with a national title ring (in 2022) and possibly a difference-making QB in portal acquisition Kyle McCord from Ohio State. So far so good.

Also, good thing he locked up the #1 recruit in the state of NY. Oh wait, that was us.

Regardless, Cuse returned to the Big East by playing USF in a bowl game tonight.

😁

So whatever happened with this kid and his brother? Did we offer?

I would assume we offered him but didn’t guarantee the starting position. Competition for the starting QB. He hasn’t decided yet. There‘re still quite a few QB with higher rating that are still available.

Last edited:
I agree with the assessment of the Smith hire at MSU. He did a fantastic job at Oregon St. That program was in a somewhat similar position RU was in relative to their respective conferences.

Jonathan Smith might turn into another Duffy Daugherty at MSU
That will make MSU a tough game to win

Curt Cignetti has proved himself at the lower level and the way he brought James Madison into the FBS .
But Indiana is a tough place to succeed at as a P-5 HC.
I feel the Hoosier program will improve under him but be inconsistent when it comes to
having winning seasons..
All in all Indiana will be playing Rutgers tough with Cignetti their HC .

Fran Brown never ran a programs defense on his own, not sure if he's HC material when it comes to running everything.
He'll recruit the players , but if his on the job learning doesn't prove quick results, the recruits he would have got will belong to another program and he'll be looking for a DB coaching position at another school.
I'm talking about Fran only because Syracuse recruits in NJ, the B1G new hires are the ones that concern me

Dave Braun proved he can handle being HC
Now he needs to keep Northwesten a winner to show he has staying power like the HC before him had
Northwesten is another hard place to suceed at as a HC, Braun made a good start .
He'll make Northwesten a tough opponant for Rutgers to play

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT