ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Syracuse HC Fran Brown on GETTING THE JOB + Trev Alberts Interview

biggest win in the offseason
Agree- all of the players that most likely had big NIL offers, have stayed. I am also going to credit someone and something "outside the box" P Walker and his team with athletic academics - First- I think we actually try to recruit kids with good support and who are true student athletes. Our Rutgers degree is huge. I know that sits on these kids and their families as they know long term vs a very short term payoff. I am watching teams with both elite football and academics lose kids and somehow, we are hanging on to our guys. That is huge

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Agree- all of the players that most likely had big NIL offers, have stayed. I am also going to credit someone and something "outside the box" P Walker and his team with athletic academics - First- I think we actually try to recruit kids with good support and who are true student athletes. Our Rutgers degree is huge. I know that sits on these kids and their families as they know long term vs a very short term payoff. I am watching teams with both elite football and academics lose kids and somehow, we are hanging on to our guys. That is huge

Was Konga the only loss on the 2-deep?

-vic

Was Konga the only loss on the 2-deep?

-vic
I think so- I don't like losing him as I do think he plays a very good role for us- I think he was made an offer. He isn't the type of guy that get's the "talk" he was always going to be 2 deep. And do not think he will be going NFL- so- let's say another good school offers $50-100k to play for them- why not take it?

Maybe I’m reading this wrong. You say elite academic schools are losing players but also “our degree is huge”. Are you saying kids stay here because our academics are on par or better than the ‘elite’ This is false. It’s not about academics. All P5 schools have perfectly good academics, and if we are splitting hairs then RU isn’t at the top.

Kids want one or more of PT, NIL and a shot at the NFL. I would argue we aren’t losing players because on D our guys get all three of those things and outside of RB we don’t much talent on O to draw outside interest from other P5.

Maybe I’m reading this wrong. You say elite academic schools are losing players but also “our degree is huge”. Are you saying kids stay here because our academics are on par or better than the ‘elite’ This is false. It’s not about academics. All P5 schools have perfectly good academics, and if we are splitting hairs then RU isn’t at the top.

Kids want one or more of PT, NIL and a shot at the NFL. I would argue we aren’t losing players because on D our guys get all three of those things and outside of RB we don’t much talent on O to draw outside interest from other P5.
You missed who I referenced as well as why many kids come here in the first place…those in the know…know how huge Mr Walker is to our team..,

You missed who I referenced as well as why many kids come here in the first place…those in the know…know how huge Mr Walker is to our team..,
Yeah I focused on “the Rutgers degree is huge” and I dispute that as a reason kids stay. Do you think academic support trumps the three factors I noted ?

Syracuse got kicked out of the AAU. It’s ranked near 70 in USNWR. It’s not a good P4 school.

Syracuse got kicked out of the AAU. It’s ranked near 70 in USNWR. It’s not a good P4 school.
Has nothing to do with providing a quality undergrad education. Zero.

Which school is ‘better’ in your view, Georgetown or South Florida? Or, William & Mary compared to Ohio State ?

Now you think Penn St is a top school? Better than Brandeis ?

AAU doesn’t reflect quality.

Last edited:

Which school is ‘better’ in your view, Georgetown or South Florida? Or, William & Mary compared to Ohio State ?

Shelby65 - Syracuse troll is like herpes. He's keeps coming back.

Reactions: keeljoe1923

I get where you are going but AAU is absolutely important as it demonstrates a university is maintaining set standards of innovation and research which is obviously important. Couple that with R1, which most AAU are, and it's absolutely reflecting quality drivers in education as research, innovation, and leading practices in higher education drives the pursuit to quality, research dollars for more, advances in education/knowledge.

this is not the hill you want to die on

I know Brandeis well and I'll say that PSU is better. Brandeis is a good school but PSU offers more and has more referenced professors, patents, etc etc....you know, all the things a AAU/r1 wants

As for Sarah, not even sure why they are in a discussion here as they are not a peer institution as RU blows them away. Hell, Sarah's best school doesn't even Garner discussion in communications circles any longer.

Reactions: Caliknight
That last part is true. I know one of their board members. He's not happy with how things are going there.

I get where you are going but AAU is absolutely important as it demonstrates a university is maintaining set standards of innovation and research which is obviously important. Couple that with R1, which most AAU are, and it's absolutely reflecting quality drivers in education as research, innovation, and leading practices in higher education drives the pursuit to quality, research dollars for more, advances in education/knowledge.

this is not the hill you want to die on

I know Brandeis well and I'll say that PSU is better. Brandeis is a good school but PSU offers more and has more referenced professors, patents, etc etc....you know, all the things a AAU/r1 wants

As for Sarah, not even sure why they are in a discussion here as they are not a peer institution as RU blows them away. Hell, Sarah's best school doesn't even Garner discussion in communications circles any longer.
Ha ha. Now you prop up PSU while before almost the entire board continues to rip the entire university’s academic credibility over Sandusky and Paterno. I, for one, said all along that one has nothing to do with the other.

Yes, AAU means something but it is absolutely not a dividing line between good and bad. Arizona State ? Ohio State ? Michigan State ? What makes them better than the schools I mentioned or any other schools ?

Ha ha. Now you prop up PSU while before almost the entire board continues to rip the entire university’s academic credibility over Sandusky and Paterno. I, for one, said all along that one has nothing to do with the other.

Yes, AAU means something but it is absolutely not a dividing line between good and bad. Arizona State ? Ohio State ? Michigan State ? What makes them better than the schools I mentioned or any other schools ?
first off, the board is emotional with respect to PSU so very few can see past their own bleetings
secondly, PSU is a fine academic institution, only a fool would argue counter to that
lastly, the AAU is as I said it is and nothing you can provide will counter that although you are welcome to try.

you're a smart guy, do some research but don't forget to come back and say 'I was wrong'

for all;

the best part to everything happening is that Sarah will be no more than a glorified community college in upstate NY over the next 10 years

Reactions: Caliknight
first off, the board is emotional with respect to PSU so very few can see past their own bleetings
secondly, PSU is a fine academic institution, only a fool would argue counter to that
lastly, the AAU is as I said it is and nothing you can provide will counter that although you are welcome to try.

you're a smart guy, do some research but don't forget to come back and say 'I was wrong'
So explain how Michigan St is a better school than Georgetown, Oregon St or LSU ?

AAU does not mean better school any more than USNWR rankings do. AAU is based on specific metrics. USNWR uses other metrics.

‘Better’ can’t be measured or ranked.

Do you know why RU suddenly jumped so many spots in USNWR this year ? Did it have to do with ‘got better’?

Fran doing very well in NY with 5 recruits but has only 1 NJ recruit so far. Fran, learning from Greg, getting early recruits to show up high in the rating early in the process. Have to wait to be able to compare the two recruiting classes.

Make it 2...

TERRELL WILFONG
WIDE RECEIVER 6'5" | 176 LBS
CLASS OF 2025 @ WEST ORANGE | WEST ORANGE, NJ

Make it 2...

TERRELL WILFONG
WIDE RECEIVER 6'5" | 176 LBS
CLASS OF 2025 @ WEST ORANGE | WEST ORANGE, NJ

Offers:

Rutgers

Rutgers
NONE