ADVERTISEMENT

Fran Brown vs Greg Long Term

RUFan8827

Redshirt
Gold Member
Feb 24, 2023
I think Fran Brown will be a better LT hire. Schiano's developmental program realistic ceiling seems like 8-4 or 7-5. In less than a week, Syracuse is now involved with several 4 stars [without a great NIL situation]. Everyone will argue that Brown has no HC experience and in watching his press conference I can see why recruits like him so much and you have to start somewhere! I give it 2-3 years and we will wish he was our HC. Stars MATTER! Great hire for Cuse

We were involved with several 4 stars when greg first came here as well. Quite frankly if you are a new P5 coach and you aren’t generating that buzz you’re already doing something wrong.
Fair but I believe Fran was also a lead recruiter on that staff

I think Fran Brown will be a better LT hire. Schiano's developmental program realistic ceiling seems like 8-4 or 7-5. In less than a week, Syracuse is now involved with several 4 stars [without a great NIL situation]. Everyone will argue that Brown has no HC experience and in watching his press conference I can see why recruits like him so much and you have to start somewhere! I give it 2-3 years and we will wish he was our HC. Stars MATTER! Great hire for Cuse
You really think if Fran is truly a better long term hire, he's going to be at Syracuse long term? You have to have a lot of balls in the air as a HC and make sure they're all doing exactly what you want them to do. Not an easy job.

Think Fran would have been a more slam dunk hire, pre- 2021. Now it doesn't matter how cool you are if the other one has more money for the player. He will live and die by how he recruits DONORS to NIL. That's the new game. Waiting for our HC to realize and truly commit. We need a program within the program to make big money players to feel like owners. An experience they can't say no to. Everything else you do pales in comparison to the success of that. That's just the way it is now.

So you are basing your prediction FB will be a better long term hire on the fact that he is "involved" with several 4 stars? I'm going to guess that it will take more than that to be successful "LT"

Best case scenario: He's USF Willie Taggart
Worst case scenario: He's FSU Willie Taggart

Either way, it's a win-win for 'Cuse because both scenarios advance the program ahead of its current state (ie: dead).

I think Brown is a decent hire for Syracuse.

However, Brown has been thought of as one of the best recruiters for a while now. The fact that better schools have not jumped at the chance to get him as a full DC or HC, and he has to take a pretty bad job at Syracuse, tells you a lot about how his ability as an actual coach is perceived.

I think Brown is a decent hire for Syracuse.

However, Brown has been thought of as one of the best recruiters for a while now. The fact that better schools have not jumped at the chance to get him as a full DC or HC, and he has to take a pretty bad job at Syracuse, tells you a lot about how his ability as an actual coach is perceived.
I don't particularly like the category of hiring recruiter like Shane Beamer (USCe) and Joey McGuire (TT) vs coach/developer but I wouldn't take he could "only" get Syracuse to hire him as a negative.

Lance Leipold could "only" get Kansas to give him a chance and he's done wonders there. Same for Kleiman at KSU. There are others. Cignetti this year at IU, we'll see how he does. ADs don't look off the beaten path much and it takes guys like Leipold or Klieman or DeBoer to do well to finally open their minds as to what could potentially work.

We'll see what he does now that he has the opportunity.

Reactions: RUFan8827
You really think if Fran is truly a better long term hire, he's going to be at Syracuse long term? You have to have a lot of balls in the air as a HC and make sure they're all doing exactly what you want them to do. Not an easy job.

Think Fran would have been a more slam dunk hire, pre- 2021. Now it doesn't matter how cool you are if the other one has more money for the player. He will live and die by how he recruits DONORS to NIL. That's the new game. Waiting for our HC to realize and truly commit. We need a program within the program to make big money players to feel like owners. An experience they can't say no to. Everything else you do pales in comparison to the success of that. That's just the way it is now.

He's able to do more with less. Syracuse NIL situation is bleak and yet he'll find a way to bring in top 25 classes. Being a developmental program is OK if you are truly developing guys. I look at RUs 2021 class and just don't see the results coupled with being 1-11 in November last 3 years (where is the developed depth?). Im still loyal for what Schiano did in 1st go around just my opinion of where we are now

I don't particularly like the category of hiring recruiter like Shane Beamer (USCe) and Joey McGuire (TT) vs coach/developer but I wouldn't take he could "only" get Syracuse to hire him as a negative.

Lance Leipold could "only" get Kansas to give him a chance and he's done wonders there. Same for Kleiman at KSU. There are others. Cignetti this year at IU, we'll see how he does. ADs don't look off the beaten path much and it takes guys like Leipold or Klieman or DeBoer to do well to finally open their minds as to what could potentially work.

We'll see what he does now that he has the opportunity.
Totally agree

So you are basing your prediction FB will be a better long term hire on the fact that he is "involved" with several 4 stars? I'm going to guess that it will take more than that to be successful "LT"
Maybe but writing him off because he has no head coaching experience is even worse

He's able to do more with less. Syracuse NIL situation is bleak and yet he'll find a way to bring in top 25 classes. Being a developmental program is OK if you are truly developing guys. I look at RUs 2021 class and just don't see the results coupled with being 1-11 in November last 3 years (where is the developed depth?). Im still loyal for what Schiano did in 1st go around just my opinion of where we are now
We shall see in today’s world “bleak NIL” and “Top 25 class” really don’t go hand in hand.

Reactions: TRU2RU
So what? That means hes automatically gonna go 4-8 every year?
People keep saying how he's a great recruiter and how he was recruiter of the year. Guess who else was recruiter if the year? Greg Schiano when he was at Ohio State.

I bet recruiting improves at Syracuse. But they're not getting top 25 classes. And they have a head coach who's never been a head coach anywhere at any level.

I would be very surprised if he's more successful than Barbers.

If Fran Brown delivers what some here are suggesting then I don't believe he will be there long. If he proves capable of both bringing in better players and handling the HC duties well, then a bigger, better program in a bigger, better conference will whisk him away.

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
Fran is the single best recruiter I have ever seen work.

Major difference between running a program and recruiting. He is going to create an unbelievable program vision and plan. It is going to be about what assistants he brings in that determines his success or not.

Every new coach has that new car smell.

Ash in his first year was landing multiple 4 stars and had 20 kids committed before the first game started.

Fran will recruit well but the ACC is morphing into Conference USA. When Florida State can't get into the playoffs undefeated that kind of says it all about that conference.

is that a worse take than thinking he is going to go 8-4 every year
Absolutely. Hes recruited well at Temple, Rutgers and Georgia. If you can successfully recruit at temple you can sell water to fish. Not only that but he hired ERob as his DC who is excellent and another great recruiter. But more importantly watch his press conference, hes a magnetic personality. I will be very surprised if he doesnt find success in a few years.

Last edited:
Pretty presumptuous to assume a guy that couldn't get hired as a coordinator will be a better coach anytime than GS. Having said that I think Fran Brown was a great hire for the Fruit, he is a great recruiter and success all starts with talent. The most important thing for Fan are the coaches he hires (especially his coordinators.)
Plus it is going to be a lot easier to win in the ACC as opposed to the Big. Especially if you begin to lose the FSU's and Clemson's to other conferences. It will also be interesting how much his recruiting will be impacted by the ACC's continued decline, if players have NFL aspirations the SEC and Big will become increasing more attractive now that expansion continues.
Also I spent some time in Upstate NY and it is an absolute Sh!thole

Can he coach?

Reactions: TRU2RU
we shall see, being a good recruiter helps but sometimes the location is a killer and failure shows quickly
Schiano lasted 11 years and left on his own last go-round and will be in his fifth starting next season.
This year brought a bowl game, 2nd in 4 years, while your guy moved into a HC position for the first time jumping from a position coach to HC mainly because he's a great recruiter but hasn't even proved to be a good coordinator and only time was one he was a co:DC with Jeff Knowles for one year and after that never was one again.
Makes one wonder why he didn't get a DC position after that instead of going to RU as a DB coach then on to Georgia at the same position.
Sounds like Fran wasn't looked at as coordinator material, but as a recruiter by Rutgers and Georgia

Last edited:
As HC- you get a single shot to sit in the recruits living rom- you are not the one that build a relationship. Fran was best at those relationships- he is going to have to learn to be a CEO now.

Reactions: RU89 and TRU2RU
So far you've got:

Brown - never even been a DC let alone a HC (anywhere) hired as HC
Elijah Robinson - never been a DC (don't give me the "co" bs....) hired as DC

....so 2 guys essentially elevated who will NOT be in position to do recruiting - which they "made their bones" doing - the same way they've been use to doing it, right?

I'm gonna go with: the jury is OUT until proven otherwise.

Last edited:
Their 2024 opening schedule is a juggernaut.

Ohio Bobcats
Army
Holy Cross
UConn
That might NOT be as easy as.you may think. IIRC Ohio is poised to make a MAC title run next year. Army without a bye week to prepare in your 2nd game as HC??? GOOD LUCK! UConn....wouldn't be surprised if Mora pulls that one off, either, TBH.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT