ADVERTISEMENT

This is the head coach we need at Rutgers.....NOW!

Urban Meyer started his college coaching career in the MAC.

Urban Frank Meyer III (born July 10, 1964) is a former college football player and coach. Meyer served as the head coach of the Bowling Green Falconsfrom 2001 to 2002, the Utah Utes from 2003 to 2004, the Florida Gators from 2005 to 2010.[1] Meyer became the head coach of the Ohio State Buckeyesfrom 2011 until his retirement after the 2019 Rose Bowl.[2] As of 2019, he is serving as the assistant athletic director of Ohio State. Meyer is also currently an analyst for Fox Sports.
we are nowhere at the stage right now to afford ASH 2.0
NO MORE ASST COACHES AS HC.
Program is at bottom dwelling in all power 5 and on brink for next TV contract not staying in B10.You want to return to AAC OR MAC,then sure push a asst wannabe as HC and hope you catch the next URBAN,or CHIP as lightning in bottle,maybe a 5% chance.

Last edited:
Lance Leipold started at Wisconsin Whitewater.

Lance O. Leipold (born May 6, 1964) is an American football coach and former player. He is currently the head football coach at the University at Buffalo, following eight seasons at the University of Wisconsin–Whitewater(UWW).[1] During his tenure at UWW, the Wisconsin–Whitewater Warhawkswon the NCAA Division III Football Championship in 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, and 2014 and were runners-up in 2008. Their opponent in each of those title games was Mount Union.
tenor.gif

We should have hired Moorehead when we had the chance. Colossal blunder.
I hope Ash can run the table for the rest of the season. But if he doesn't we have an opportunity to get a great coach within Rutgers budget. Lance Leipold is the real deal and I hope Hobbs will grab the opportunity while we have it. My fear is if Rutgers doesn't grab a great coach now we may be stuck in mediocrity for a decade or more.

we are nowhere at the stage right now to afford ASH 2.0
NO MORE ASST COACHES AS HC.
Program is at bottom dwelling in all power 5 and on brink for next TV contract not staying in B10.You want to return to AAC OR MAC,then sure push a asst wannabe as HC and hope you catch the next URBAN,or CHIP as lightning in bottle,maybe a 5% chance.
Oh and the hiring of assistant coaches from elite programs has been a winning strategy? Lance leipold has head coaching experience...he knows how to recruit and run a team. You're an assclown if you think he cannot install his system of success at Rutgers. saban, meyer, Kelly have all been able to install their systems as they moved up the coaching ranks. What makes you think lance leipold won't be able to do the same?

Reactions: Bagarocks
"I think it was very apparent, even last September, that we were taking strides in the right direction," Leipold said. "Now strides to us doesn't always equate into how many wins last season or this season. But we knew we were getting closer." This statement reminds me of Greg Schiano talking about Rutgers in 2005. I remember reading an interview with shiano and he stated almost the exact same thing as Leipold did in this statement.
This is a good article on Leipold.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...alo-football-from-pushover-to-power/38521227/

In every discipline, there are different ways to skin the cat. And when Buffalo and Penn State tee it up on Saturday night, you will see polar opposite methods on each sideline.

On the home side, it’ll be James Franklin, one of the most formidably persuasive people ever unleashed in the college athletic realm. Penn State could not have possibly chosen a more effective man to reverse its recruiting fortunes after the anchor of the NCAA sanctions almost immobilized its program dead in the water in the early ‘10s. He has done what I believed impossible so soon, embracing and polishing the brand of PSU while flushing away the residue of the Sandusky scandal.

Franklin believes in the “Jimmys and Joes” mandate and never has Penn State had greater depth of dynamic talent than it does right now. He’s done it with nonstop salesmanship that, like all audacious pitches, defies impediment. He’s convinced dozens of young men that PSU is the correct choice for them almost by force of will, in spite of where this program was when he arrived. Talent has put State College back on the map.

On the visiting sideline will be his reverse doppelganger, Lance Leipold, 5th-year head coach of the Buffalo Bulls. He brought a team in here in 2015 that had no business competing with Franklin’s Nittany Lions and coached them into a 13-7 4th-quarter deficit with a chance to win. Only the coming-out party of, fittingly enough, the most talented man on the field, a Penn State freshman named Saquon Barkley, prevented Leipold’s team from pulling off a monumental upset as a 17-point underdog. The Lions won 27-14, but the game was in doubt quite late.

The difference is, when the University of Buffalo five years ago took a flyer on a 6-time NCAA Division III champion coach from tiny Wisconsin-Whitewater, it was flying very much in the face of college football hiring winds. A hire from the former method is much more common. Be it P.J. Fleck or Dino Babers, Tim Beckman or Darrell Hazell, the trendy choice is a guy who can win the press conference and sell hope first and foremost, a man with a low-major FBS pedigree who’ll move tickets before actually getting results, if he indeed ever gets them.

The latter tack is much more methodical and result-based. The teaching part, not the selling part, is the motivator. And fans and administrators really can’t see or hear that going on as can the athletes.

Coaches such as Leipold aren’t sloganeers. They won’t inspire headlines or reality shows. They’ll simply motivate their players with gradual proof that their methods work.

Because they aren’t born salesmen, they rarely recruit 5-stars. But they can really coach up the 2- and 3-stars. They find allies, kindred spirits in both players and assistant coaches, with passion for the sport, unquenchable desire to improve and a crazy competitive streak. They’re freaks, but in a good way.

Our culture has always valued sizzle over steak. I guess that’s probably part-and-parcel with our economic system. Capitalism often requires salesmanship more than it necessarily does a quality product.

Both methods can work equally well. It’s just that Leipold’s way won’t confirm itself until the win-loss record begins to turn.

I’ve seen it in both basketball and football. It can happen more quickly in hoops because you only need 8 or 9 really good players at once rather than 40 or 45.

Guys like Dick Bennett and Bo Ryan, for instance, who both coincidentally emanated from the same Division III wing of the University of Wisconsin state system as Leipold, got it going in practically no time. In Ryan’s case, Bennett pretty much built the Badgers machine for him in a couple of years and he just moved in and kept fueling it

In football, it can take longer. One of Leipold’s mentors, Barry Alvarez, needed three seasons of 11 total wins to tear the Wisconsin program down to its foundation before building it back up to 10-1-1 with a Rose Bowl win in his 4th year.

Leipold was nearing the culmination of such a process last year when his Bulls went 10-2 and won the MAC East before losing the conference championship game 30-29 to Northern Illinois, then the Dollar General Bowl 42-32 to Troy. Leipold’s tenure had been a slow, steady build for a UB program that has not had a single coach with a winning record among 10 predecessors in the past half-century. If Leipold can finish 9-5 or better this season, he’ll be the first.

If you didn’t happen to see his quarterback the past three years, well, you don’t run across recruits like 6-7, 230-pound Michigan native Tyree Jackson every day in the MAC. The conference offensive MVP in 2018, he wasn’t always an accurate passer but had a formidable and prolific arm that accounted for a whopping 3,131 yards and 28 TDs.

Unfortunately for Leipold, he made a hasty attempt at the NFL and is now paying for it. Jackson did not make a pro roster after spending training camp as an undrafted free agent with the Bills. He’s reportedly getting a tryout with his hometown Lions this week

Though he’s raw, part of the reason two different NFL clubs are trying like hell to rationalize hiring Jackson is that the word is out about Leipold. In fact, Bills coach Sean McDermott observed his methods and teaching acumen up close when the Bulls had to borrow the NFL team’s indoor facility. The two have gained a mutual respect. McDermott sings about Leipold to anyone who’ll listen.

Though McDermott ultimately couldn’t make room for Jackson, he still is mulling a use for former Bulls cornerback Cam Lewis. He was also cut free after going undrafted but was recently called back for the practice squad and may yet stick on the roster this season.

There’s a reason for this. Coaches like McDermott who’ve made it big in the business have a deep respect for counterparts like Leipold because they know there’s no BS to their teaching and organizational methods. They know a straight-up ball coach when they see one, better than most college administrators who worry first about filling stadium seats.

The folks at Louisville may have been forced into making such a hire but his first reviews looked pretty good last night. You may remember Scott Satterfield, another longtime FCS coach who made the transition into FBS with his school, Appalachian State. Satterfield went 40-11 with ASU at the FBS level the past four seasons after toiling there for the better part of two decades as a position coach, largely when it was an FCS school. That stint included last year’s 45-38 overtime loss at Penn State as a 23-point dog in the season opener.

Satterfield’s Mountaineers blitzed to 11-1 the rest of the year including a rout of Middle Tennessee in the New Orleans Bowl. That got him an interview at Louisville in December, though not at all as the disgraced program’s first choice. Such a tire fire was UL football after the final dysfunctional season under noted sleazeball Bobby Petrino that even favorite-son alum Jeff Brohm opted for the high road and snubbed Louisville to remain at Purdue.

That was, as they say, a bad look for Louisville. Its options were limited when it granted Satterfield an audience. He took the job.

And last night, rather than the pathetic band of Cardinals who basically quit the last half of the season under a coach they clearly didn’t respect, we witnessed a team that punched #9-ranked Notre Dame in the mouth early, took a 14-7 lead and fought throughout in a 35-17 loss.

It won’t be a quick fix. But brighter days are ahead for Louisville in the ACC under Satterfield. He would’ve been a very smart hire for his home-state North Carolina, but they opted instead to lure 68-year-old ex-UNC coach Mack Brown out of retirement rather than take a “risk” on somebody as unsexy as the plainspoken Satterfield. He only knows how to coach football, but that’s not enough these days. You must sell it, too.

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatef...-college-vet-like-buffalos-lance-leipold.html
I am totally impressed with the effort and content that you present here.Couldn't do that in a million years.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Why wouldn't we recruit top talent? When GS was here he consistently had classes ranked higher than traditional P5 schools even though we were only in the Big East.
I said no coach is going to come in an start to recruit top guys, you have to win and go to bowl games first
Les Miles and Kansas currently #25 in recruiting class 2020.

Most verbal commits (26) in the nation beside the service academies.
it wont be anywhere close to 25 we the final ranking come out. It is only 25 right now because the have so many commits (26) . kansas has 0 5 stars, 1 4star, 2 5.7 3 stars. I would also doubt the 4 star actually signs with kansas.

I hope Ash can run the table for the rest of the season. But if he doesn't we have an opportunity to get a great coach within Rutgers budget. Lance Leipold is the real deal and I hope Hobbs will grab the opportunity while we have it. My fear is if Rutgers doesn't grab a great coach now we may be stuck in mediocrity for a decade or more.
You must be related to this almost life long Div3 55 year old nobody coach

I said no coach is going to come in an start to recruit top guys, you have to win and go to bowl games first

it wont be anywhere close to 25 we the final ranking come out. It is only 25 right now because the have so many commits (26) . kansas has 0 5 stars, 1 4star, 2 5.7 3 stars. I would also doubt the 4 star actually signs with kansas.

Schiano will

Reactions: BlockR
You must be related to this almost life long Div3 55 year old nobody coach
No not at all but a long time Rutgers fan! We had a taste of Rutgers potential in the early 2000's and I want RU back there. We have the opportunity to get a football coach who has the intangibles to get his players to play up to their potential obviously ash doesn't. Lance Leipold has the intangibles to get the best out of his players and team. We have the opportunity to request his services if Ash is fired. All these jackasses on this board think this one or that one who have had varying degrees of success but command a premium that Rutgers is not going pay. So what he is 55, he has been successful at every coaching stop he has been at. It is only a matter of time before a major program is going to give him a shot and I hope it is Rutgers.

17. Some Power 5 team is missing out on Lance Leipold. That guy can coach, and he’s managed to stock that Buffalo roster with a bunch of talented guys.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
Rutgers can't keep recruiting lower 3 star guys. we're in a tough market with a lot of competition. This program is not going to be a winner unless or until they get at least 8-9 of the top 20 players in NJ. You get there with a coach handling Buffalo.
You get that by hiring a Les Miles type who now has a Kansas recruiting class ranked #3 in the Big 12. We need a name coach and we need to pay his staff well.

Les Miles and a team of scrubs just beat the living piss out of BC.

Someone please tell me, WHY won't RU come out of pocket for a real, proven, name coach? Because we're still going to be cheap even though as of 2021 the program should be self sufficient? If that's the case AGAIN I'm GONE. And I've had tickets since 92.

Leopold on the cheap in 2020? GONE!

Les Miles, his name and a pack of goddamn scrubs.

There is NO reason for us to go cheap ever again.

Reactions: redking
Les Miles and a team of scrubs just beat the living piss out of BC.

Someone please tell me, WHY won't RU come out of pocket for a real, proven, name coach? Because we're still going to be cheap even though as of 2021 the program should be self sufficient? If that's the case AGAIN I'm GONE. And I've had tickets since 92.

Leopold on the cheap in 2020? GONE!

Les Miles, his name and a pack of goddamn scrubs.

There is NO reason for us to go cheap ever again.

It has nothing to do with money. Les Mile’s time in Kansas will run out and things will soon go back to normal. We’re on a different mission here. We know our potential is something unique and the pressure to win at Rutgers is , in a weird way, some of the highest pressure that exists in college football.
We have to bring in people that know what the hell the mission is and truly care to make it happen. Money doesn’t mean $hi+

Let’s stop with lance Leopold get GS now. We can’t afford another experiment. This is N.J. some of these coaches cannot make it here with our limited resources and rep.

Reactions: RUskoolie
It has nothing to do with money. Les Mile’s time in Kansas will run out and things will soon go back to normal. We’re on a different mission here. We know our potential is something unique and the pressure to win at Rutgers is , in a weird way, some of the highest pressure that exists in college football.
We have to bring in people that know what the hell the mission is and truly care to make it happen. Money doesn’t mean $hi+
Exactly. Getting some hot shot that will use us as a stepping stone is not what we need. We need someone who will be here long term and can navigate this NJ. University on to a national stage. GS knows how to market our brand. Something that hasn’t been done since he got promoted to the NFL.

Reactions: redking
Let’s stop with lance Leopold get GS now. We can’t afford another experiment. This is N.J. some of these coaches cannot make it here with our limited resources and rep.
We need a coach who can coach players BEFORE we can recruit top talent. Bring lance in on a 6 year contract with no renewal until year 4. If there is significant improvement by year 4 he gets a renewed contract and a big increase in pay.

Exactly. Getting some hot shot that will use us as a stepping stone is not what we need. We need someone who will be here long term and can navigate this NJ. University on to a national stage. GS knows how to market our brand. Something that hasn’t been done since he got promoted to the NFL.

I have read your posts and I do think that you have a high football IQ. Heck, I would be happy myself if Greg were to come back. However, the way things ended in New England tells me that he lost his "fire" for football. In short, Leipold would have a longer Rutgers tenure than Greg if one of them took the job. LL is the better candidate.

I have read your posts and I do think that you have a high football IQ. Heck, I would be happy myself if Greg were to come back. However, the way things ended in New England tells me that he lost his "fire" for football. In short, Leipold would have a longer Rutgers tenure than Greg if one of them took the job. LL is the better candidate.
Either way RU fans have high expectations after this season and I hope those expectations are met.

Lance Liepold LOST TO LIBERTY TODAY.HE IS A DIV3 COACH.Stop pushing this clowns name please

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
One game does not indicate anything long term. Let’s see what happens over a season. Could have been a trap game.

Brother -

I appreciate that you want Leipold and I’m on record saying that I’m not a fan, but in light of your positions that (a) he wins everywhere and (b) he is recruiting to win the MAC, I assume there’s no doubt he should win the MAC this year and win his bowl game. Agree? I mean if he’s as good as you say winning the MAC in year 4 should be an easy task for him.

I agree to give Lance Leipold a chance if he brings Craig and his 3.6 BILLION dollars with him to Piscataway.

Reactions: ruman
Lance Liepold LOST TO LIBERTY TODAY.HE IS A DIV3 COACH.Stop pushing this clowns name please
Rutgers lost to the buffalo bulls last year, please tell me
Just goes to show you how silly these knee jerk suggestions are.

He ain't the answer. He just had good players last year.
we play liberty too! It will be interesting to see how we do against them. You do realize Lance and his bulls smoked us in our own stadium in year 3 of his tenure, just saying!

Reactions: mikeru
Rutgers lost to the buffalo bulls last year, please tell me

we play liberty too! It will be interesting to see how we do against them. You do realize Lance and his bulls smoked us in our own stadium in year 3 of his tenure, just saying!

That’s your coaching hire bar?
He crushed RU, so we should hire him?

If that is the case, there are a whole lot of other coaches that should also be on the list.
(Even the Kansas coach who got fired!)

Leipold not high on my list but I wouldn't count the game against him or even a bad year...same as I say for good games and years. These are short term things..but you would like to see if he can build it back up with a bunch of new faces...if not this year at least in the near future....so if we're hiring in the offseason might not be able to see that in time.

Oh and the hiring of assistant coaches from elite programs has been a winning strategy? Lance leipold has head coaching experience...he knows how to recruit and run a team. You're an assclown if you think he cannot install his system of success at Rutgers. saban, meyer, Kelly have all been able to install their systems as they moved up the coaching ranks. What makes you think lance leipold won't be able to do the same?
Hey,hows your boy wonder Div3 guru Lance looking today?
that was too big of a stage for him yesterday,LIBERTY?
Looks like hes ready to take on the Ohio states and Michigans of the B10 world!
His QB left,now hes back to being a Div3 55 year old nobody coach.

Hey,hows your boy wonder Div3 guru Lance looking today?
that was too big of a stage for him yesterday,LIBERTY?
Looks like hes ready to take on the Ohio states and Michigans of the B10 world!
His QB left,now hes back to being a Div3 55 year old nobody coach.
Yeah ok blockhead whatever you say! Lance is the man.

In every discipline, there are different ways to skin the cat. And when Buffalo and Penn State tee it up on Saturday night, you will see polar opposite methods on each sideline.

On the home side, it’ll be James Franklin, one of the most formidably persuasive people ever unleashed in the college athletic realm. Penn State could not have possibly chosen a more effective man to reverse its recruiting fortunes after the anchor of the NCAA sanctions almost immobilized its program dead in the water in the early ‘10s. He has done what I believed impossible so soon, embracing and polishing the brand of PSU while flushing away the residue of the Sandusky scandal.

Franklin believes in the “Jimmys and Joes” mandate and never has Penn State had greater depth of dynamic talent than it does right now. He’s done it with nonstop salesmanship that, like all audacious pitches, defies impediment. He’s convinced dozens of young men that PSU is the correct choice for them almost by force of will, in spite of where this program was when he arrived. Talent has put State College back on the map.

On the visiting sideline will be his reverse doppelganger, Lance Leipold, 5th-year head coach of the Buffalo Bulls. He brought a team in here in 2015 that had no business competing with Franklin’s Nittany Lions and coached them into a 13-7 4th-quarter deficit with a chance to win. Only the coming-out party of, fittingly enough, the most talented man on the field, a Penn State freshman named Saquon Barkley, prevented Leipold’s team from pulling off a monumental upset as a 17-point underdog. The Lions won 27-14, but the game was in doubt quite late.

The difference is, when the University of Buffalo five years ago took a flyer on a 6-time NCAA Division III champion coach from tiny Wisconsin-Whitewater, it was flying very much in the face of college football hiring winds. A hire from the former method is much more common. Be it P.J. Fleck or Dino Babers, Tim Beckman or Darrell Hazell, the trendy choice is a guy who can win the press conference and sell hope first and foremost, a man with a low-major FBS pedigree who’ll move tickets before actually getting results, if he indeed ever gets them.

The latter tack is much more methodical and result-based. The teaching part, not the selling part, is the motivator. And fans and administrators really can’t see or hear that going on as can the athletes.

Coaches such as Leipold aren’t sloganeers. They won’t inspire headlines or reality shows. They’ll simply motivate their players with gradual proof that their methods work.

Because they aren’t born salesmen, they rarely recruit 5-stars. But they can really coach up the 2- and 3-stars. They find allies, kindred spirits in both players and assistant coaches, with passion for the sport, unquenchable desire to improve and a crazy competitive streak. They’re freaks, but in a good way.

Our culture has always valued sizzle over steak. I guess that’s probably part-and-parcel with our economic system. Capitalism often requires salesmanship more than it necessarily does a quality product.

Both methods can work equally well. It’s just that Leipold’s way won’t confirm itself until the win-loss record begins to turn.

I’ve seen it in both basketball and football. It can happen more quickly in hoops because you only need 8 or 9 really good players at once rather than 40 or 45.

Guys like Dick Bennett and Bo Ryan, for instance, who both coincidentally emanated from the same Division III wing of the University of Wisconsin state system as Leipold, got it going in practically no time. In Ryan’s case, Bennett pretty much built the Badgers machine for him in a couple of years and he just moved in and kept fueling it

In football, it can take longer. One of Leipold’s mentors, Barry Alvarez, needed three seasons of 11 total wins to tear the Wisconsin program down to its foundation before building it back up to 10-1-1 with a Rose Bowl win in his 4th year.

Leipold was nearing the culmination of such a process last year when his Bulls went 10-2 and won the MAC East before losing the conference championship game 30-29 to Northern Illinois, then the Dollar General Bowl 42-32 to Troy. Leipold’s tenure had been a slow, steady build for a UB program that has not had a single coach with a winning record among 10 predecessors in the past half-century. If Leipold can finish 9-5 or better this season, he’ll be the first.

If you didn’t happen to see his quarterback the past three years, well, you don’t run across recruits like 6-7, 230-pound Michigan native Tyree Jackson every day in the MAC. The conference offensive MVP in 2018, he wasn’t always an accurate passer but had a formidable and prolific arm that accounted for a whopping 3,131 yards and 28 TDs.

Unfortunately for Leipold, he made a hasty attempt at the NFL and is now paying for it. Jackson did not make a pro roster after spending training camp as an undrafted free agent with the Bills. He’s reportedly getting a tryout with his hometown Lions this week

Though he’s raw, part of the reason two different NFL clubs are trying like hell to rationalize hiring Jackson is that the word is out about Leipold. In fact, Bills coach Sean McDermott observed his methods and teaching acumen up close when the Bulls had to borrow the NFL team’s indoor facility. The two have gained a mutual respect. McDermott sings about Leipold to anyone who’ll listen.

Though McDermott ultimately couldn’t make room for Jackson, he still is mulling a use for former Bulls cornerback Cam Lewis. He was also cut free after going undrafted but was recently called back for the practice squad and may yet stick on the roster this season.

There’s a reason for this. Coaches like McDermott who’ve made it big in the business have a deep respect for counterparts like Leipold because they know there’s no BS to their teaching and organizational methods. They know a straight-up ball coach when they see one, better than most college administrators who worry first about filling stadium seats.

The folks at Louisville may have been forced into making such a hire but his first reviews looked pretty good last night. You may remember Scott Satterfield, another longtime FCS coach who made the transition into FBS with his school, Appalachian State. Satterfield went 40-11 with ASU at the FBS level the past four seasons after toiling there for the better part of two decades as a position coach, largely when it was an FCS school. That stint included last year’s 45-38 overtime loss at Penn State as a 23-point dog in the season opener.

Satterfield’s Mountaineers blitzed to 11-1 the rest of the year including a rout of Middle Tennessee in the New Orleans Bowl. That got him an interview at Louisville in December, though not at all as the disgraced program’s first choice. Such a tire fire was UL football after the final dysfunctional season under noted sleazeball Bobby Petrino that even favorite-son alum Jeff Brohm opted for the high road and snubbed Louisville to remain at Purdue.

That was, as they say, a bad look for Louisville. Its options were limited when it granted Satterfield an audience. He took the job.

And last night, rather than the pathetic band of Cardinals who basically quit the last half of the season under a coach they clearly didn’t respect, we witnessed a team that punched #9-ranked Notre Dame in the mouth early, took a 14-7 lead and fought throughout in a 35-17 loss.

It won’t be a quick fix. But brighter days are ahead for Louisville in the ACC under Satterfield. He would’ve been a very smart hire for his home-state North Carolina, but they opted instead to lure 68-year-old ex-UNC coach Mack Brown out of retirement rather than take a “risk” on somebody as unsexy as the plainspoken Satterfield. He only knows how to coach football, but that’s not enough these days. You must sell it, too.

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatef...-college-vet-like-buffalos-lance-leipold.html
I love this model. But it's a really hard one to pull off in the B1G East. A team with weak talent but solid long term coaching will get pummeled week in and week out. It will make it hard to attract even the second tier recruits needed to stay on the field and keep them motivated. Any other power 5 conference you have some mediocre teams to build up against.

So for our situation, to avoid that, I do think you need to make a splash with your coaching hire to create a window of optimism to attract new recruits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT