ADVERTISEMENT

This is the head coach we need at Rutgers.....NOW!

Leipold instead of Schiano is a total head scratcher for me. nope
A I'm not sure Schiano would come back here for what Rutgers can pay. B. We don't know if he even wants to come back here.
C. overall I think Lance Leipold is a better coach, even with his loss to liberty. BTW, Rutgers may have all they can handle with liberty!

Reactions: tico brown
A I'm not sure Schiano would come back here for what Rutgers can pay. B. We don't know if he even wants to come back here.
C. overall I think Lance Leipold is a better coach, even with his loss to liberty. BTW, Rutgers may have all they can handle with liberty!
again with the 55 year old lifelong Div 3 HC.Please stop.

BTW, Rutgers may have all they can handle with Liberty

thats why we are in the market for a new coach - that does not make Leipold look better

the pressure to win at Rutgers is , in a weird way, some of the highest pressure that exists in college football.

Ah NOPE, not even remotely close.

As diehard RU fans we way OVERESTIMATE our relevance. I have been I. SEC country for 25 years, college is King even over pro sports. even a year remived from National championship, teams will want coach gone after down year. VERY unrealistic expectations. we are generally happy with 6 wins and bowl appearances.

Reactions: tico brown
Some Bama fans wanted Saban fired because he lost one game... SABAN... FIRED... ONE... GAME...

Yeah,

At Rutgers, most of us just want to go bowling again...is that too much to ask?

That is a lot less pressure. Here you don't have to win all the games just win more than you lose, or at least go .500. Ash can't even do that.

The new HC, all he has to do is that and he would be considered a success by most people.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
Ah NOPE, not even remotely close.

As diehard RU fans we way OVERESTIMATE our relevance. I have been I. SEC country for 25 years, college is King even over pro sports. even a year remived from National championship, teams will want coach gone after down year. VERY unrealistic expectations. we are generally happy with 6 wins and bowl appearances.

It’s a different type of pressure we have.
Rutgers is the most unique program in America. There is pressure because of that. There is pressure because everyone expects the new coach to awaken the giant. For every Alabama, there is a Georgia. For every Ohio state, there is a texas.

But no other football hotbed state has just one division 1 team. No other football state is battling the pro market like we are. No other major program battles the media like we have to. These are some of the pressures I’m taking about.

Some Bama fans wanted Saban fired because he lost one game... SABAN... FIRED... ONE... GAME...

Yeah,

At Rutgers, most of us just want to go bowling again...is that too much to ask?

That is a lot less pressure. Here you don't have to win all the games just win more than you lose, or at least go .500. Ash can't even do that.

The new HC, all he has to do is that and he would be considered a success by most people.
Part of Rutgers Riches is also its handicap. Rutgers is in the most media intense area in the USA. When we win we have the biggest platform in all of college football. When we lose, because we have something like 20 pro teams within a 100 mile radius of New Brunswick we have to compete against those teams for air time, fans, and most of all the fans money. I will take a coach who can get us to a bowl year in and year out.

It has nothing to do with money. Les Mile’s time in Kansas will run out and things will soon go back to normal. We’re on a different mission here. We know our potential is something unique and the pressure to win at Rutgers is , in a weird way, some of the highest pressure that exists in college football.
We have to bring in people that know what the hell the mission is and truly care to make it happen. Money doesn’t mean $hi+

Cant get my head around that one - Ash is 8-30 and there is an active debate about how many wins he needs to stay - and if he gets 5, he very likely will get another year. That is zero pressure to win

Cant get my head around that one - Ash is 8-30 and there is an active debate about how many wins he needs to stay - and if he gets 5, he very likely will get another year. That is zero pressure to win
The pressure here has zapped us to the point where we don’t know what the hell we’re doing. Don’t know what’s right wrong good or bad. The most beaten, battered fan base in all of sports.

When the next coach is hired and it isn’t “the Rutgers Jesus” that will time warp us back to Nov 2006, this board will be worth it just for the inevitable implosion!:popcorn:

Hope there’s extra IT capacity pre-built in!

The pressure here has zapped us to the point where we don’t know what the hell we’re doing. Don’t know what’s right wrong good or bad. The most beaten, battered fan base in all of sports.

Its called Stockholm Syndrome - not pressure to win

I like Leipolds refreshing honesty regarding how his team performed.

“Well, one is you have to be ready every week. Obviously we weren’t completely. Again I say that with not taking respect from the opponent’s production in the game,” head coach Lance Leipold said.

“But as I’ve also told our team, 30 minutes of really good football does not carry you very far. Really our last six quarters of football haven’t been to a standard where we’re going to play winning football.”

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — When the UB Bulls fell to Penn State in the second week of the season, head coach Lance Leipold said there were a lot of positives to take away from that game.

But after falling to Liberty 35-17 on Saturday, the sentiment was not exactly the same. In Tuesday’s press conference, Coach Leipold noted that was not the standard, and the loss was a bit of a wake up call for the Bulls.

“We can’t play one great half and not play the second half great,” quarterback Matt Myers said. “We’ve got to play 60 minutes of great football.”

“It’s definitely a wake up call coming from Penn State. We didn’t win and we don’t expect any moral victories. We came out the first half hot, but we just didn’t play the full 60 minutes,” corner back Aapri Washington said. “We played 30 minutes hard and strong.”

“I think we need to attack each week like it’s Penn State. Last week we might’ve been a little flat, so I think we definitely need to come out each week and prepare as if it’s Penn State or anybody else.”

“From those games we really learned a lot, we’ve got some things to fix and we’re really working on that, and our plan is to come out, execute our game plan and do what we do,” defensive end Taylor Riggins said.

“Well, one is you have to be ready every week. Obviously we weren’t completely. Again I say that with not taking respect from the opponent’s production in the game,” head coach Lance Leipold said.

“But as I’ve also told our team, 30 minutes of really good football does not carry you very far. Really our last six quarters of football haven’t been to a standard where we’re going to play winning football.”

“We need to get that corrected, and we have a big test with an excellent Temple football team coming here,” Leipold said.

“We know Temple is going to be tough, but we also know the schedule past Temple is all conference play, but like I said, we’re going to take it one game at a time and we’ll worry about MAC after Temple,” Myers said.

This weekend, the Bulls do get a chance to bounce back from last week’s loss. Temple comes to town in another nationally televised game. Kickoff between UB and Temple is set for 3:30 pm on Saturday at UB Stadium, and you can watch that on ESPNU.

https://www.wivb.com/sports/liberty-loss-doesnt-sit-well-for-ub/

I appreciate Leipold's record. However, he built that D3 school on a ton of D1 washout transfers, a luxury he won't have. He also had an NFL QB at Buffalo most recently and an All-American WR. My biggest issue is he seems like another boring ass midwesterner who will not be able to relate to NJ folks. Hard pass on that. Yes, he can coach up his talent. It doesn't matter though if he's bringing a knife to a gun fight. We need a guy who can at least gets us to bring a gun to a gun fight. That was the #1 pre-requisite in 2015 and Hobbs whiffed on it. It's just as important now.

I appreciate Leipold's record. However, he built that D3 school on a ton of D1 washout transfers, a luxury he won't have. He also had an NFL QB at Buffalo most recently and an All-American WR. My biggest issue is he seems like another boring ass midwesterner who will not be able to relate to NJ folks. Hard pass on that. Yes, he can coach up his talent. It doesn't matter though if he's bringing a knife to a gun fight. We need a guy who can at least gets us to bring a gun to a gun fight. That was the #1 pre-requisite in 2015 and Hobbs whiffed on it. It's just as important now.
Skoolie, What do you not understand? We need a coach who can coach first. We could have all 5stars but if the coach cant coach that talent they wont be successful. Charlie Weis at Michigan is a case in point. We need a coach who has the intangibles of getting players to believe in their team and themselves. Lance has that ability.
Unless Rutgers is willing to make the commitment to pay a name brand coach $ 4- 6 million a year(I don't think they will even though I think it would be profitable if they did)to coach and recruit. We have to look outside the box for talent. Is it worth bringing Lance here on a 6 year contract and if like ash we are not seeing improvement by year 4, no renewal and we have a clause in the contract that we can start interviewing head coaching candidates. If after year 4 he has a record or a certain # of wins he gets renewed with bonuses for bowls and championships. We need to get the contract right to give us the opportunity to get the right coach.
I think lance has the intangibles that he can get the best out of his players no matter what division he is in. only time will tell, but I am willing to give him a shot as I like his style and his ability.

This guy would be a better power 5 Head Coach then Lance Liepold.

0cd16e106e50d1954013730a9ceb2fda.jpg

Skoolie, What do you not understand? We need a coach who can coach first. We could have all 5stars but if the coach cant coach that talent they wont be successful. Charlie Weis at Michigan is a case in point. We need a coach who has the intangibles of getting players to believe in their team and themselves. Lance has that ability.
Unless Rutgers is willing to make the commitment to pay a name brand coach $ 4- 6 million a year(I don't think they will even though I think it would be profitable if they did)to coach and recruit. We have to look outside the box for talent. Is it worth bringing Lance here on a 6 year contract and if like ash we are not seeing improvement by year 4, no renewal and we have a clause in the contract that we can start interviewing head coaching candidates. If after year 4 he has a record or a certain # of wins he gets renewed with bonuses for bowls and championships. We need to get the contract right to give us the opportunity to get the right coach.
I think lance has the intangibles that he can get the best out of his players no matter what division he is in. only time will tell, but I am willing to give him a shot as I like his style and his ability.

You realize his recent ass whipping against PSU would happen every single week? Right? IDGAS if he can coach people up. If you can't recruit, you stand no chance in our division. We're not playing in the MAC where there is maybe 1 standard deviation in the talent level between all the schools in that conference. We're 2-3 standard deviations away from 4 teams we play religiously every single year. You're not going to coach up to that.

A 55 year old guy from Wisconsin who has put me to sleep in any Youtube video I have watched on him, is not going to recruit NJ well. He'll get eaten alive here. You need a big personality recruiting in NJ against this conference.

You realize his recent ass whipping against PSU would happen every single week? Right? IDGAS if he can coach people up. If you can't recruit, you stand no chance in our division. We're not playing in the MAC where there is maybe 1 standard deviation in the talent level between all the schools in that conference. We're 2-3 standard deviations away from 4 teams we play religiously every single year. You're not going to coach up to that.

A 55 year old guy from Wisconsin who has put me to sleep in any Youtube video I have watched on him, is not going to recruit NJ well. He'll get eaten alive here. You need a big personality recruiting in NJ against this conference.
Just stop before you hurt yourself! Leipold wasn't born last night and the NJ market is no tougher than Buffalo. The guy came out of wisconsin a winner and he is in the process of building Buffalo into a winner. We can afford him because RU is not going to pay Urban Meyer to come here(it would be great if they did). I think Lance has the same coaches talents that Pikiell has at basketball which is getting the best out of his players given the talent level he can recruit at. If Lance is wildly successful here then the 4 and 5 stars will be willing to invest their talents for a coach who can win! No different for SAban, Meyer, Kelly two of whom coached in the MAC before going to bigger programs. I like him and I think he is worth the shot! JMO.

Just stop before you hurt yourself! Leipold wasn't born last night and the NJ market is no tougher than Buffalo. The guy came out of wisconsin a winner and he is in the process of building Buffalo into a winner. We can afford him because RU is not going to pay Urban Meyer to come here(it would be great if they did). I think Lance has the same coaches talents that Pikiell has at basketball which is getting the best out of his players given the talent level he can recruit at. If Lance is wildly successful here then the 4 and 5 stars will be willing to invest their talents for a coach who can win! No different for SAban, Meyer, Kelly two of whom coached in the MAC before going to bigger programs. I like him and I think he is worth the shot! JMO.
Brother Skinny,come clean,
you have to be related to Lance!

Div. III Head Coach Lance Leipolds Buffalo team just beat Temple 38-22. Do you think this Rutgers staff could beat temple?

Reactions: Pils86
I appreciate Brother’s commitment to Lance. But, he’s simply not the answer here. Even assuming he’s a great coach, and I don’t think he would be at the P5 level, Rutgers has proven to be a unique job where being a good coach simply isn’t enough. We need part coach part salesman.

Reactions: RU-AGK
I appreciate Brother’s commitment to Lance. But, he’s simply not the answer here. Even assuming he’s a great coach, and I don’t think he would be at the P5 level, Rutgers has proven to be a unique job where being a good coach simply isn’t enough. We need part coach part salesman.
Leopold sounds like the perfect coach if Rutgers was at the point they were when theye hired Flood. Instead, I don't think BrotherSkinny is admitting to himself how bereft of talent Rutgers is right now, especially on the lines.

Ideally a coach would be equally good at A) gameday coaching and B) selling the program/recruiting. If Rutgers has to settle for a coach being better at one of those than the other right now, it should be B because our football program needs to be reconstructed.

Those who weren’t still feeling the effects of the morning’s Brewfest and the SHI Stadium beer were more interested in one detail — experience.

Fans like Morrison and Andia want Rutgers to give Buffalo head coach Lance Leipold a chance after watching his Bulls carve up the Scarlet Knights a season ago, citing his ability to win at all levels and develop players as a head coach as major feathers in his cap.

AMHERST — Coach Lance Leipold challenged the University at Buffalo football team to respond after being “punched in the mouth” in last week’s loss at Liberty.

The Bulls rose off the mat and swung back at Temple on Saturday, relying on their running game and an opportunistic defense in a resounding 38-22 victory at UB Stadium that evened their record at 2-2 and restored confidence heading into next week’s Mid-American Conference opener.

“It’s a huge boost,” Leipold said afterward. “Morale was down a little bit last week and rightfully so. We got it handed to us.”

“Really challenged the group a little bit,” Leipold added. “They accepted that and worked hard and I’m really proud of the way they played.”

Two-touchdown underdogs against a Temple team that beat nationally-ranked Maryland last week, UB overcame an early deficit and scored 31 straight points in winning for the ninth time in its last 10 home games.

“Nothing that happened in this game is surprising for us,” said safety Joey Banks, who returned an interception for a 43-yard touchdown to put UB ahead 38-10 early in the fourth quarter. “We knew we were going to come in here and handle business. We were laser focused all week.”

“I stressed that we have to be relentless, committed and have pride in what we do every play,” said defensive captain Ladarius Mack, whose first quarter strip sack led to UB’s go-ahead touchdown early in the second quarter.

Coming into the game with no interceptions on the season, the UB secondary that struggled against Liberty last week picked off Temple quarterback Anthony Russo three times.

“We played as a unit, played as a team,” Banks said. “No one was out there being selfish, trying to make plays on their own. We let the plays come to us. It started up front. They were causing havoc up front, which trickled down to the secondary. The quarterback was just throwing money out there and we were taking it.”

https://www.lockportjournal.com/spo...cle_ee8d9ba8-c079-5d8c-82db-4e9d98ba7b20.html

Pass..,
Although I will admit, the only current head coach we could possibly hire would come from a school playing at that level,

Last edited:
Why is he a Pass? I don’t understand.
I don’t like his personality.
I could be very wrong, but when you come to NJ/Rutgers you’re put into a situation where the goal of basically every high school student is to leave the state to attend college,
I don’t think that happens anywhere else.
I think it takes incredible stain and a special personality to coach football here... I don’t think he possesses that.
All my opinion and respectfully submitted

Last edited:
Why is he a Pass? I don’t understand.

Some RU fans want to fall in love with our next HC. Leipold isn’t sexy enough for them. They want to be excited about the next hire. Like a young girl getting an offer to go to the prom.

AMHERST — Coach Lance Leipold challenged the University at Buffalo football team to respond after being “punched in the mouth” in last week’s loss at Liberty.

The Bulls rose off the mat and swung back at Temple on Saturday, relying on their running game and an opportunistic defense in a resounding 38-22 victory at UB Stadium that evened their record at 2-2 and restored confidence heading into next week’s Mid-American Conference opener.

“It’s a huge boost,” Leipold said afterward. “Morale was down a little bit last week and rightfully so. We got it handed to us.”

“Really challenged the group a little bit,” Leipold added. “They accepted that and worked hard and I’m really proud of the way they played.”

Two-touchdown underdogs against a Temple team that beat nationally-ranked Maryland last week, UB overcame an early deficit and scored 31 straight points in winning for the ninth time in its last 10 home games.

“Nothing that happened in this game is surprising for us,” said safety Joey Banks, who returned an interception for a 43-yard touchdown to put UB ahead 38-10 early in the fourth quarter. “We knew we were going to come in here and handle business. We were laser focused all week.”

“I stressed that we have to be relentless, committed and have pride in what we do every play,” said defensive captain Ladarius Mack, whose first quarter strip sack led to UB’s go-ahead touchdown early in the second quarter.

Coming into the game with no interceptions on the season, the UB secondary that struggled against Liberty last week picked off Temple quarterback Anthony Russo three times.

“We played as a unit, played as a team,” Banks said. “No one was out there being selfish, trying to make plays on their own. We let the plays come to us. It started up front. They were causing havoc up front, which trickled down to the secondary. The quarterback was just throwing money out there and we were taking it.”

https://www.lockportjournal.com/spo...cle_ee8d9ba8-c079-5d8c-82db-4e9d98ba7b20.html
source.gif

Some RU fans want to fall in love with our next HC. Leipold isn’t sexy enough for them. They want to be excited about the next hire. Like a young girl getting an offer to go to the prom.
Strange post Knightmoves?
I don’t think he has the personality to convince kids who’s goal it is to leave the state to stay...

I don’t like his personality.
I could be very wrong, but when you come to NJ/Rutgers you’re put into a situation where the goal of basically every high school student is to leave the state to attend college,
I don’t think that happens anywhere else.
I think it takes incredible stain and a special personality to coach football here... I don’t think he possesses that.
All my opinion and respectfully submitted
The only thing I know is Lance Leipold got it done at Wisconsin- Whitewater...He is getting it done at Buffalo. He seems to be able to get the right talent he needs to beat Teams I would consider a step up from Buffalo. I think he could succeed here Because he is a good coach and kids want to play for good coaches. When he starts winning here, he will keep the NJ kids. This is just my opinion of course but I think he can win here at Rutgers and keep the talented NJ kids here.

I just don’t get the Leipold thing. He hasn’t beaten anyone in 4 years. Not a single notable win. Beating up on bad MAC teams, losing to every P5 program with a pulse, and splitting with the best teams in the MAC doesn’t move the needle for me.

He’s a good coach and in the perfect spot for him. But, if he really was a gem he wouldn’t still be at Buffalo.

I just don’t get the Leipold thing. He hasn’t beaten anyone in 4 years. Not a single notable win. Beating up on bad MAC teams, losing to every P5 program with a pulse, and splitting with the best teams in the MAC doesn’t move the needle for me.

He’s a good coach and in the perfect spot for him. But, if he really was a gem he wouldn’t still be at Buffalo.
He is a good coach, I just don't get BrotherSkinny's obsession that he is the right guy for the Rutgers job NOW.

I think that if Leopold got the Rutgers job at the time we hired Flood, he would have coached that inherited talent to more success than Flood did. I don't see anything in his background, or the interviews I have seen, that tell me he would be the guy who can take the program from the depths it is in right now to success.

Some good points. But if Leipold gets any P5 offers after this season then he is probably taking one of those offers over RU.

We should have 2 lists. List 1 are HC’s we’d like to have at RU.

List 2 are HC’s who are willing to sign on with RU. That list fits on the back of an envelope.

The only thing I know is Lance Leipold got it done at Wisconsin- Whitewater...He is getting it done at Buffalo. He seems to be able to get the right talent he needs to beat Teams I would consider a step up from Buffalo. I think he could succeed here Because he is a good coach and kids want to play for good coaches. When he starts winning here, he will keep the NJ kids. This is just my opinion of course but I think he can win here at Rutgers and keep the talented NJ kids here.
GO back and read your post Wisconsin-Whitewater-Buffalo.
then say to yourself.
Big Ten East Division.
Flood
Ash.
the next word would be Leipold.
No Go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT