ADVERTISEMENT

This is the head coach we need at Rutgers.....NOW!

BROTHERSKINNY

Heisman Winner
Oct 21, 2010
In every discipline, there are different ways to skin the cat. And when Buffalo and Penn State tee it up on Saturday night, you will see polar opposite methods on each sideline.

On the home side, it’ll be James Franklin, one of the most formidably persuasive people ever unleashed in the college athletic realm. Penn State could not have possibly chosen a more effective man to reverse its recruiting fortunes after the anchor of the NCAA sanctions almost immobilized its program dead in the water in the early ‘10s. He has done what I believed impossible so soon, embracing and polishing the brand of PSU while flushing away the residue of the Sandusky scandal.

Franklin believes in the “Jimmys and Joes” mandate and never has Penn State had greater depth of dynamic talent than it does right now. He’s done it with nonstop salesmanship that, like all audacious pitches, defies impediment. He’s convinced dozens of young men that PSU is the correct choice for them almost by force of will, in spite of where this program was when he arrived. Talent has put State College back on the map.

On the visiting sideline will be his reverse doppelganger, Lance Leipold, 5th-year head coach of the Buffalo Bulls. He brought a team in here in 2015 that had no business competing with Franklin’s Nittany Lions and coached them into a 13-7 4th-quarter deficit with a chance to win. Only the coming-out party of, fittingly enough, the most talented man on the field, a Penn State freshman named Saquon Barkley, prevented Leipold’s team from pulling off a monumental upset as a 17-point underdog. The Lions won 27-14, but the game was in doubt quite late.

The difference is, when the University of Buffalo five years ago took a flyer on a 6-time NCAA Division III champion coach from tiny Wisconsin-Whitewater, it was flying very much in the face of college football hiring winds. A hire from the former method is much more common. Be it P.J. Fleck or Dino Babers, Tim Beckman or Darrell Hazell, the trendy choice is a guy who can win the press conference and sell hope first and foremost, a man with a low-major FBS pedigree who’ll move tickets before actually getting results, if he indeed ever gets them.

The latter tack is much more methodical and result-based. The teaching part, not the selling part, is the motivator. And fans and administrators really can’t see or hear that going on as can the athletes.

Coaches such as Leipold aren’t sloganeers. They won’t inspire headlines or reality shows. They’ll simply motivate their players with gradual proof that their methods work.

Because they aren’t born salesmen, they rarely recruit 5-stars. But they can really coach up the 2- and 3-stars. They find allies, kindred spirits in both players and assistant coaches, with passion for the sport, unquenchable desire to improve and a crazy competitive streak. They’re freaks, but in a good way.

Our culture has always valued sizzle over steak. I guess that’s probably part-and-parcel with our economic system. Capitalism often requires salesmanship more than it necessarily does a quality product.

Both methods can work equally well. It’s just that Leipold’s way won’t confirm itself until the win-loss record begins to turn.

I’ve seen it in both basketball and football. It can happen more quickly in hoops because you only need 8 or 9 really good players at once rather than 40 or 45.

Guys like Dick Bennett and Bo Ryan, for instance, who both coincidentally emanated from the same Division III wing of the University of Wisconsin state system as Leipold, got it going in practically no time. In Ryan’s case, Bennett pretty much built the Badgers machine for him in a couple of years and he just moved in and kept fueling it

In football, it can take longer. One of Leipold’s mentors, Barry Alvarez, needed three seasons of 11 total wins to tear the Wisconsin program down to its foundation before building it back up to 10-1-1 with a Rose Bowl win in his 4th year.

Leipold was nearing the culmination of such a process last year when his Bulls went 10-2 and won the MAC East before losing the conference championship game 30-29 to Northern Illinois, then the Dollar General Bowl 42-32 to Troy. Leipold’s tenure had been a slow, steady build for a UB program that has not had a single coach with a winning record among 10 predecessors in the past half-century. If Leipold can finish 9-5 or better this season, he’ll be the first.

If you didn’t happen to see his quarterback the past three years, well, you don’t run across recruits like 6-7, 230-pound Michigan native Tyree Jackson every day in the MAC. The conference offensive MVP in 2018, he wasn’t always an accurate passer but had a formidable and prolific arm that accounted for a whopping 3,131 yards and 28 TDs.

Unfortunately for Leipold, he made a hasty attempt at the NFL and is now paying for it. Jackson did not make a pro roster after spending training camp as an undrafted free agent with the Bills. He’s reportedly getting a tryout with his hometown Lions this week

Though he’s raw, part of the reason two different NFL clubs are trying like hell to rationalize hiring Jackson is that the word is out about Leipold. In fact, Bills coach Sean McDermott observed his methods and teaching acumen up close when the Bulls had to borrow the NFL team’s indoor facility. The two have gained a mutual respect. McDermott sings about Leipold to anyone who’ll listen.

Though McDermott ultimately couldn’t make room for Jackson, he still is mulling a use for former Bulls cornerback Cam Lewis. He was also cut free after going undrafted but was recently called back for the practice squad and may yet stick on the roster this season.

There’s a reason for this. Coaches like McDermott who’ve made it big in the business have a deep respect for counterparts like Leipold because they know there’s no BS to their teaching and organizational methods. They know a straight-up ball coach when they see one, better than most college administrators who worry first about filling stadium seats.

The folks at Louisville may have been forced into making such a hire but his first reviews looked pretty good last night. You may remember Scott Satterfield, another longtime FCS coach who made the transition into FBS with his school, Appalachian State. Satterfield went 40-11 with ASU at the FBS level the past four seasons after toiling there for the better part of two decades as a position coach, largely when it was an FCS school. That stint included last year’s 45-38 overtime loss at Penn State as a 23-point dog in the season opener.

Satterfield’s Mountaineers blitzed to 11-1 the rest of the year including a rout of Middle Tennessee in the New Orleans Bowl. That got him an interview at Louisville in December, though not at all as the disgraced program’s first choice. Such a tire fire was UL football after the final dysfunctional season under noted sleazeball Bobby Petrino that even favorite-son alum Jeff Brohm opted for the high road and snubbed Louisville to remain at Purdue.

That was, as they say, a bad look for Louisville. Its options were limited when it granted Satterfield an audience. He took the job.

And last night, rather than the pathetic band of Cardinals who basically quit the last half of the season under a coach they clearly didn’t respect, we witnessed a team that punched #9-ranked Notre Dame in the mouth early, took a 14-7 lead and fought throughout in a 35-17 loss.

It won’t be a quick fix. But brighter days are ahead for Louisville in the ACC under Satterfield. He would’ve been a very smart hire for his home-state North Carolina, but they opted instead to lure 68-year-old ex-UNC coach Mack Brown out of retirement rather than take a “risk” on somebody as unsexy as the plainspoken Satterfield. He only knows how to coach football, but that’s not enough these days. You must sell it, too.

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatef...-college-vet-like-buffalos-lance-leipold.html

Last edited:
no thanks.There is a reason hes still at Buffalo.Id rather have Monken,or Candle over 55 year old Lipepold,does nothing for recruiting.
giphy.gif

Reactions: biker7766
Yippie, another “this is what we need for a head coach thread”
Obviously it is on the minds of the fan base and Ash so far is not getting it done on ANY level. The field product stinks, the communication with the fans is non existent, in short there is no "buy in" from the fan base. Maybe Coach Ash will turn it around this season but so far I and many others are not impressed.
I like Lance Leipold, I think he is a good football coach and I will make the case for him because I want Rutgers to win and reach its potential. There is no reason that Rutgers should not be perennially in the top 20. We live in one of the most football rich states in the USA. We need to start thinking outside the box and take risks on a new coach to the BIG. I think Lance Leipold has the system that can get us there.

Perhaps Leipold has never recruited 5-star talent because he's been at a D-III school and at Buffalo. Maybe if he was winning at a BIG10 school he'd have more recruiting success?

Is it possible to surround a guy like Leipold with top notch recruiters as assistants? Would Partridge ever come to be a DC for RU? I'd gladly take Leipold as our next HC and hopefully surround him with energetic younger NJ based assistants.

Give me a true coach over a salesman any day.

Perhaps Leipold has never recruited 5-star talent because he's been at a D-III school and at Buffalo. Maybe if he was winning at a BIG10 school he'd have more recruiting success?

Is it possible to surround a guy like Leipold with top notch recruiters as assistants? Would Partridge ever come to be a DC for RU? I'd gladly take Leipold as our next HC and hopefully surround him with energetic younger NJ based assistants.

Give me a true coach over a salesman any day.
exactly! Give me a Coach who says nothing but can coach ass off! The Recruiting will come with success!

Reactions: RU677381 and Pils86
I respect his Xs and Os but I don't see another Midwestern guy who looks just as bland as Ash, succeeding recruiting NJ. The next guy has to be a proven recruiter. That is the first pre-requisite or it's a non-starter.

what if they can recruit but suck as a gameday coach?

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
what if they can recruit but suck as a gameday coach?
exactly! Whats more important a guy who is a great recruiter or a coach who can teach and coach kids to play the game at a high level? IMO it is coaching first and recruiting second. If a coach can be successful with what he has then high level recruits will have more confidence in the coach. Somehow Lance Leipold is getting it done at Buffalo.

Lance Leipold is the rising Group of 5 head coach you’ve never heard of

"Leipold will probably start to be asked about his desire to take the next step in his coaching career. The standard line about building something at Buffalo will surely follow, but that won’t stop Power 5 schools from calling if the Bulls take care of business as expected from here on out."

https://fansided.com/2018/10/07/lance-leipold-rising-star-head-coach/

no thanks.There is a reason hes still at Buffalo.Id rather have Monken,or Candle over 55 year old Lipepold,does nothing for recruiting.
giphy.gif
rutgers is not going to recruit top talent . rutgers need a coach that is good at developing talent. look at iowa the recruiting is not good but they go to bowl games and beat teams like osu and michigan. NO coach is coming to rutgers and going to start recruiting highly rated recruits.

exactly! Whats more important a guy who is a great recruiter or a coach who can teach and coach kids to play the game at a high level? IMO it is coaching first and recruiting second. If a coach can be successful with what he has then high level recruits will have more confidence in the coach. Somehow Lance Leipold is getting it done at Buffalo.

Literally.

The first 3 paragraphs of your OP prove you're wrong.

Literally.

Mediocre coaching and superior recruited talent beat Buffalo 45-13.

rutgers is not going to recruit top talent . rutgers need a coach that is good at developing talent. look at iowa the recruiting is not good but they go to bowl games and beat teams like osu and michigan. NO coach is coming to rutgers and going to start recruiting highly rated recruits.

Why wouldn't we recruit top talent? When GS was here he consistently had classes ranked higher than traditional P5 schools even though we were only in the Big East.

I respect his Xs and Os but I don't see another Midwestern guy who looks just as bland as Ash, succeeding recruiting NJ. The next guy has to be a proven recruiter. That is the first pre-requisite or it's a non-starter.
This may be true but annoys me somewhat.

I'd rather a guy like Leopold recruit the players that "get it", that don't need the song and dance. If he has to go to the midwest to get them, fine.

Still not convinced he's the only guy to get er done.. but that story sells him pretty well.

We may very well need that unicorn.. the guy that can do the Xs and Os AND get the Jimmies and Joes.

Les Miles and Kansas currently #25 in recruiting class 2020.

Most verbal commits (26) in the nation beside the service academies.

Les Miles and Kansas currently #25 in recruiting class 2020.

Most verbal commits (26) in the nation beside the service academies.
Hate to point this out, but in reviewing some of the older posts about the Ash hire.. at one point in 2016, i think, He had the number 17 ranked class based on a similar large number of verbals.

Literally.

Literally.

100% this.

I can only assume that people just keep forgetting we are in the Big Ten now.

Without superior recruited talent, we are not going to be winning much.

I rather have a Super Recruiter who hires X&O guys to actually call the plays vs someone who can't recruit but tries to coach up lesser talent so we only lose by 32 points.

In every discipline, there are different ways to skin the cat. And when Buffalo and Penn State tee it up on Saturday night, you will see polar opposite methods on each sideline.

On the home side, it’ll be James Franklin, one of the most formidably persuasive people ever unleashed in the college athletic realm. Penn State could not have possibly chosen a more effective man to reverse its recruiting fortunes after the anchor of the NCAA sanctions almost immobilized its program dead in the water in the early ‘10s. He has done what I believed impossible so soon, embracing and polishing the brand of PSU while flushing away the residue of the Sandusky scandal.

Franklin believes in the “Jimmys and Joes” mandate and never has Penn State had greater depth of dynamic talent than it does right now. He’s done it with nonstop salesmanship that, like all audacious pitches, defies impediment. He’s convinced dozens of young men that PSU is the correct choice for them almost by force of will, in spite of where this program was when he arrived. Talent has put State College back on the map.

On the visiting sideline will be his reverse doppelganger, Lance Leipold, 5th-year head coach of the Buffalo Bulls. He brought a team in here in 2015 that had no business competing with Franklin’s Nittany Lions and coached them into a 13-7 4th-quarter deficit with a chance to win. Only the coming-out party of, fittingly enough, the most talented man on the field, a Penn State freshman named Saquon Barkley, prevented Leipold’s team from pulling off a monumental upset as a 17-point underdog. The Lions won 27-14, but the game was in doubt quite late.

The difference is, when the University of Buffalo five years ago took a flyer on a 6-time NCAA Division III champion coach from tiny Wisconsin-Whitewater, it was flying very much in the face of college football hiring winds. A hire from the former method is much more common. Be it P.J. Fleck or Dino Babers, Tim Beckman or Darrell Hazell, the trendy choice is a guy who can win the press conference and sell hope first and foremost, a man with a low-major FBS pedigree who’ll move tickets before actually getting results, if he indeed ever gets them.

The latter tack is much more methodical and result-based. The teaching part, not the selling part, is the motivator. And fans and administrators really can’t see or hear that going on as can the athletes.

Coaches such as Leipold aren’t sloganeers. They won’t inspire headlines or reality shows. They’ll simply motivate their players with gradual proof that their methods work.

Because they aren’t born salesmen, they rarely recruit 5-stars. But they can really coach up the 2- and 3-stars. They find allies, kindred spirits in both players and assistant coaches, with passion for the sport, unquenchable desire to improve and a crazy competitive streak. They’re freaks, but in a good way.

Our culture has always valued sizzle over steak. I guess that’s probably part-and-parcel with our economic system. Capitalism often requires salesmanship more than it necessarily does a quality product.

Both methods can work equally well. It’s just that Leipold’s way won’t confirm itself until the win-loss record begins to turn.

I’ve seen it in both basketball and football. It can happen more quickly in hoops because you only need 8 or 9 really good players at once rather than 40 or 45.

Guys like Dick Bennett and Bo Ryan, for instance, who both coincidentally emanated from the same Division III wing of the University of Wisconsin state system as Leipold, got it going in practically no time. In Ryan’s case, Bennett pretty much built the Badgers machine for him in a couple of years and he just moved in and kept fueling it

In football, it can take longer. One of Leipold’s mentors, Barry Alvarez, needed three seasons of 11 total wins to tear the Wisconsin program down to its foundation before building it back up to 10-1-1 with a Rose Bowl win in his 4th year.

Leipold was nearing the culmination of such a process last year when his Bulls went 10-2 and won the MAC East before losing the conference championship game 30-29 to Northern Illinois, then the Dollar General Bowl 42-32 to Troy. Leipold’s tenure had been a slow, steady build for a UB program that has not had a single coach with a winning record among 10 predecessors in the past half-century. If Leipold can finish 9-5 or better this season, he’ll be the first.

If you didn’t happen to see his quarterback the past three years, well, you don’t run across recruits like 6-7, 230-pound Michigan native Tyree Jackson every day in the MAC. The conference offensive MVP in 2018, he wasn’t always an accurate passer but had a formidable and prolific arm that accounted for a whopping 3,131 yards and 28 TDs.

Unfortunately for Leipold, he made a hasty attempt at the NFL and is now paying for it. Jackson did not make a pro roster after spending training camp as an undrafted free agent with the Bills. He’s reportedly getting a tryout with his hometown Lions this week

Though he’s raw, part of the reason two different NFL clubs are trying like hell to rationalize hiring Jackson is that the word is out about Leipold. In fact, Bills coach Sean McDermott observed his methods and teaching acumen up close when the Bulls had to borrow the NFL team’s indoor facility. The two have gained a mutual respect. McDermott sings about Leipold to anyone who’ll listen.

Though McDermott ultimately couldn’t make room for Jackson, he still is mulling a use for former Bulls cornerback Cam Lewis. He was also cut free after going undrafted but was recently called back for the practice squad and may yet stick on the roster this season.

There’s a reason for this. Coaches like McDermott who’ve made it big in the business have a deep respect for counterparts like Leipold because they know there’s no BS to their teaching and organizational methods. They know a straight-up ball coach when they see one, better than most college administrators who worry first about filling stadium seats.

The folks at Louisville may have been forced into making such a hire but his first reviews looked pretty good last night. You may remember Scott Satterfield, another longtime FCS coach who made the transition into FBS with his school, Appalachian State. Satterfield went 40-11 with ASU at the FBS level the past four seasons after toiling there for the better part of two decades as a position coach, largely when it was an FCS school. That stint included last year’s 45-38 overtime loss at Penn State as a 23-point dog in the season opener.

Satterfield’s Mountaineers blitzed to 11-1 the rest of the year including a rout of Middle Tennessee in the New Orleans Bowl. That got him an interview at Louisville in December, though not at all as the disgraced program’s first choice. Such a tire fire was UL football after the final dysfunctional season under noted sleazeball Bobby Petrino that even favorite-son alum Jeff Brohm opted for the high road and snubbed Louisville to remain at Purdue.

That was, as they say, a bad look for Louisville. Its options were limited when it granted Satterfield an audience. He took the job.

And last night, rather than the pathetic band of Cardinals who basically quit the last half of the season under a coach they clearly didn’t respect, we witnessed a team that punched #9-ranked Notre Dame in the mouth early, took a 14-7 lead and fought throughout in a 35-17 loss.

It won’t be a quick fix. But brighter days are ahead for Louisville in the ACC under Satterfield. He would’ve been a very smart hire for his home-state North Carolina, but they opted instead to lure 68-year-old ex-UNC coach Mack Brown out of retirement rather than take a “risk” on somebody as unsexy as the plainspoken Satterfield. He only knows how to coach football, but that’s not enough these days. You must sell it, too.

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatef...-college-vet-like-buffalos-lance-leipold.html

The key point is that the slick guy with all of the talent won that game in 2015 and again this year. End of discussion.

The key point is that the slick guy with all of the talent won that game in 2015 and again this year. End of discussion.
No it does not end the discussion! He almost beat Franklin twice with significantly LESS talent and Less resources. If he were to come to Rutgers he first can coach his ass off and at least get us into the games like he has done at Buffalo against superior opponents in every respect. LL is a coaches coach who could help get Rutgers back into winning games. Look at what we have gotten with Ash so far. What 6 wins in four seasons. We have better talent than Buffalo and with a coach who actually knows how to coach would be able to compete in our conference. I believe LL could help Rutgers. I am not Kate Sweeny who has pull on the BOT I am a fan who can only vent my frustration and offer solutions on this BB. If Ash gets anned then I would like RU to at least give LL a call.

100% this.

I can only assume that people just keep forgetting we are in the Big Ten now.

Without superior recruited talent, we are not going to be winning much.

I rather have a Super Recruiter who hires X&O guys to actually call the plays vs someone who can't recruit but tries to coach up lesser talent so we only lose by 32 points.
Like we have now? You are such an original thinker! LOL!

leipold is 55 years old,ya think Rutgers is a program that says ,wow,what a hidden Gem!,while the rest of power five never took a shot at hiring this guy the last 20 plus years??
He couldnt beat Troy.
he just signed a new contract in 2019. Signed til 2023.This is a guy you want to spend money to buy his contract out?
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...gn-coach-lance-leipold-new-five-year-contract
No Thanks.

Last edited:
leipold is 55 years old,ya think Rutgers is a program that says ,wow,what a hidden Gem!,while the rest of power five never took a shot at hiring this guy the last 20 plus years.
No Thanks.
Hahaha! We at Rutgers are our own worst enemies! Instead of giving a shot at a head coach who has done nothing but build winning teams there are a few numbnuts who want to do the same old, same old with a slick coordinator from a elite program, who can talk the talk but couldn't coach an eskimo to a hot lunch! It is quite possible Lance Leipold could be a complete flop here but its also possible he would be able to bring his winning system here just like Urban Meyer brought to Florida and then to Ohio State, and Nick Saban brought to Alabama, and Brian Kelly was able to bring to Notre Dame from all their previous stops prior to landing at those respective "Elite" programs. Lance Leipold has limited downside(can we slide any further in mediocrity) with HUGE potential upside!

We don't have that now, that is why Ash sucks. He can't recruit, have you seen Rutgers football the past 4 years? WTF!
You first need a coach who can actually coach! Then the recruiting will come! Players want to play for a coach who they believe can win. Lance Leipold has proven that at Wisconsin whitewater and now at Buffalo. You can hire recruiters, having a coach who can coach is more important.

No it does not end the discussion! He almost beat Franklin twice with significantly LESS talent and Less resources. If he were to come to Rutgers he first can coach his ass off and at least get us into the games like he has done at Buffalo against superior opponents in every respect. LL is a coaches coach who could help get Rutgers back into winning games. Look at what we have gotten with Ash so far. What 6 wins in four seasons. We have better talent than Buffalo and with a coach who actually knows how to coach would be able to compete in our conference. I believe LL could help Rutgers. I am not Kate Sweeny who has pull on the BOT I am a fan who can only vent my frustration and offer solutions on this BB. If Ash gets anned then I would like RU to at least give LL a call.

Guy sounds like a great coach but "almost" doesn't count. You don't win many games in the Big 10 by outsmarting everyone. You win by bringing in top talent. I personally do not like Franklin. He's a weasel. But, if given a choice, I'd taken the proven recruiter over a game coach every time. Even the supposed great game coaches like MSU's Dantonio get their share of 4-stars, without which they would not win. So, if I'm the AD, I'd have to be convinced first that the guy can recruit.

Reactions: Unionst
Guy sounds like a great coach but "almost" doesn't count. You don't win many games in the Big 10 by outsmarting everyone. You win by bringing in top talent.

You may not win the Big Ten itself.. or a division.. without "top talent".. except in coincidental down years for others.. but winning more games than you lose by outsmarting others would be a welcome change.

And that, in turn, might help you get "top talent". Finding someone who can just jump straight to "top talent"... not sure he exists.

Last edited:
Literally.

Literally.

Correct!!!!! Superior talent always wins. Josh Gattis would be a perfect hire for Rutgers.

Hahaha! We at Rutgers are our own worst enemies! Instead of giving a shot at a head coach who has done nothing but build winning teams there are a few numbnuts who want to do the same old, same old with a slick coordinator from a elite program, who can talk the talk but couldn't coach an eskimo to a hot lunch! It is quite possible Lance Leipold could be a complete flop here but its also possible he would be able to bring his winning system here just like Urban Meyer brought to Florida and then to Ohio State, and Nick Saban brought to Alabama, and Brian Kelly was able to bring to Notre Dame from all their previous stops prior to landing at those respective "Elite" programs. Lance Leipold has limited downside(can we slide any further in mediocrity) with HUGE potential upside!
Don’t compare Meyer to Leipold. Leipold can’t recruit against Locksley, Franklin, Haubaugh, and Day.

55 year old div3 coach,now at a Mac school that no other power 5 have even sniffed around.
Hard pass
You’re insane! Guy got the players he needed to win at WW now in year 3 he had his team playing in the MAC east championship...in year 3 of his tenure. Lance Leipold is a great coach and all great coaches find ways to win assuming teams have relatively equally talented players. You watch LL is going to be playing for the east div championship or perhaps the MAC championship this year or next. Guy is a baller.

Urban Meyer started his college coaching career in the MAC.

Urban Frank Meyer III (born July 10, 1964) is a former college football player and coach. Meyer served as the head coach of the Bowling Green Falconsfrom 2001 to 2002, the Utah Utes from 2003 to 2004, the Florida Gators from 2005 to 2010.[1] Meyer became the head coach of the Ohio State Buckeyesfrom 2011 until his retirement after the 2019 Rose Bowl.[2] As of 2019, he is serving as the assistant athletic director of Ohio State. Meyer is also currently an analyst for Fox Sports.

Saban began his head coaching career in the MAC.

Saban began his career as a head coach when he was hired by the University of Toledo on December 22, 1989.[17] Coming off of 6–5 seasons in both 1988 and 1989, the Rockets found quick success under Nick Saban in 1990. With a 9–2 season, Toledo was co-champion of the Mid-American Conference. The two games the Rockets lost that season were by narrow margins: one point to Central Michigan and four points to Navy.[18]While coaching in Toledo, Saban turned down an application from future head coach Urban Meyer, who was looking for any coaching job on Saban's staff.[19]

Brian Kelly began his HC career at Grand Valley.

Kelly joined the Grand Valley State University staff in 1987 as a graduate assistant and defensive backs coach for Tom Beck and became the defensive coordinator and recruiting coordinator in 1989. Kelly took over as head coach in 1991. In his final three seasons the Lakers went 41–2, at one point winning 20 consecutive games. The Lakers went 14–0 in 2002 en route to their first national title and went 14–1 in 2003 when they claimed their second National Championship. Kelly was named the AFCA Division II Coach of the Year after each of these championship years.

In his 13 years as head coach at Grand Valley State, the Lakers won five conference titles and made six Division II Playoff appearances. Only in 1999 did Grand Valley State finish lower than third in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletics Conference under Kelly.

The 2001 team set 77 NCAA, GLIAC, and school records, including setting the all-time Division II scoring record, averaging 58.4 points per game.

His record in 13 years at Grand Valley State was 118–35–2.[4]

Lance Leipold started at Wisconsin Whitewater.

Lance O. Leipold (born May 6, 1964) is an American football coach and former player. He is currently the head football coach at the University at Buffalo, following eight seasons at the University of Wisconsin–Whitewater(UWW).[1] During his tenure at UWW, the Wisconsin–Whitewater Warhawkswon the NCAA Division III Football Championship in 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, and 2014 and were runners-up in 2008. Their opponent in each of those title games was Mount Union.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT